OFFICIAL 2016 FREE AGENCY (PINCUS states 2017-18 salary cap falling to $102m; Lakers get Calderon, pg.2432; sign Deng 4 yr/$72M; Mozgov 4 yr/$64M; Tarik Black 2 yr/$12.85M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 2682, 2683, 2684  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
Small note on Clarkson. LA can't game the system by signing him last unless he takes the mle or lower. Beyond that they have to use cap space.

Ah, good point. Hmm. So wonder how much we'd have to likely budget for him then.

That's really contextual. The strong point for la is that they can't lose him even if they need the cap room for other things. He simply can't jump, and even if he takes the qualifying offer, he's still restricted in 17.

My guess is if he shows out, la would love to see an arenas level offer to him, because they match it and still get a low cap hit over two years. But the likelihood is that they sign say hibbert and batum, and still have 20 mil-ish in cap and can offer him a solid deal out if cap space. If they don't pay him out of cap space (assuming he shows out), it means they landed multiple big fish.

So if he plays extremely well, prob not all star level but promising, sign him or DeRozan? --> assuming both ask for near max

Might not be mutually exclusive. But if you had to pick one, probably stick with Clarkson.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

Lakers rooks gotta ball the f out this yr I'm serious. Need to look attractive for kd.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
Another factor, is kd has been one of the players who has shown the most respect and admiration to kobes legacy. He's not a lakers hater. There's nothing like being the star in lal.

I'm just not positive KD comes here. If I had to make an educated guess:

1. OKC: he does a 1+1 (2nd year player option). He then enters 2017 as a 10th year player and gets into the 3rd tier max, which will be way over 30m.

2. Washington: have them behind OKC, but if he had to leave makes sense. Easier conference, team up with Wall/Beal to make a nice team to compete against the Cavs.

Can he sign a 1+1 with us?

I don't see why people have wizards so high. It's the hometown spin, just like with love and how did that work out? Only person who cared about the hometown card was LBJ and that's because he both grew up his whole life in Ohio and was also drafted by cleveland.

Wizards got wall/Beal and the east card, but really as a team, they haven't really proven or projected a thing.

Of course I'm just making an argument I have no clue where kd is going. Probably wishful thinking but I think kd might be one of the few guys where the lime light, history, and big market of lal are actually very significant factors.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
Another factor, is kd has been one of the players who has shown the most respect and admiration to kobes legacy. He's not a lakers hater. There's nothing like being the star in lal.

I'm just not positive KD comes here. If I had to make an educated guess:

1. OKC: he does a 1+1 (2nd year player option). He then enters 2017 as a 10th year player and gets into the 3rd tier max, which will be way over 30m.

2. Washington: have them behind OKC, but if he had to leave makes sense. Easier conference, team up with Wall/Beal to make a nice team to compete against the Cavs.

Can he sign a 1+1 with us?

I don't see why people have wizards so high. It's the hometown spin, just like with love and how did that work out? Only person who cared about the hometown card was LBJ and that's because he both grew up his whole life in Ohio and was also drafted by cleveland.

Wizards got wall/Beal and the east card, but really as a team, they haven't really proven or projected a thing.

Of course I'm just making an argument I have no clue where kd is going. Probably wishful thinking but I think kd might be one of the few guys where the lime light, history, and big market of lal are actually very significant factors.

I get the sense though that as of now, OKC should be the overwhelming favorites for at least 2016. Unless his feet are worse off (which should make us question getting him), it makes some sense for him to do a 1 year deal to get that 10th year status. That's a good amount of $ to leave.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject:

If Hibbert plays well, I'm definitely more than willing to bring him back. Batum is also a great fit for this team. Still in the prime of his career and he's a veteran who's been in the league for a while. His relationship with Rich Cho back from his Portland days may cause him to stay though. There's also been rumors of Batum going to Toronto because of the international background there. For me, bringing back Hibbert and signing Batum was a successful off season.

I really dislike DeRozan's game however. I'd prefer us to stay as far away from him as possible. He's a volume scorer and is very inefficient at that. Provides little to nothing in the other categories. I'd much rather bring back Kobe for another two years than signing DeRozan to a max contract.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject:

Another guy I'd be interested in is Shaun Livingston as a backup combo PG. Not sure Warriors want to pay that much for his services.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject:

if durant says yes, and another star comes in then i am ready to trade Randle + assets to get cousins ya the same cousins we should be able to have him if he is still upset in sac kings. which i think he will be

cousins: 16
horford: 25
durant: 30
clarkson: 10
russell: 5
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
if durant says yes, and another star comes in then i am ready to trade Randle + assets to get cousins ya the same cousins we should be able to have him if he is still upset in sac kings. which i think he will be

IIRC, isn't Durant as a then-9 year player slotted for the 25m max?

But the reason why Sacto would be INSANE to trade Cousins is how ridiculously low his salary is.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

IIRC, isn't Durant as a then-9 year player slotted for the 25m max?

But the reason why Sacto would be INSANE to trade Cousins is how ridiculously low his salary is.

good then. we can keep the 5m for westbrook in 2017
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:

My plan would be to dump N.Young first off. Shouldn't be hard to do at 5M and an unlimited cap. Would also look at doing the same with Lou Williams if we are able to get players like DeRozan or Batum.

1. DeMar Derozan at max starting at 25M
2. Batum at 16-18M
3. Roy Hibbert at 16-18M
4. Let the market set the price for Clarkson which would be only ~3/35

Hibbert/Upshaw/Black
Randle/Bass/Nance
Batum/Brown
DeRozan/Lou/Brown
Russell/Clarkson
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
My plan would be to dump N.Young first off. Shouldn't be hard to do at 5M and an unlimited cap. Would also look at doing the same with Lou Williams if we are able to get players like DeRozan or Batum.

2. Batum at 16-18M
3. Roy Hibbert at 16-18M

Hibbert/Upshaw/Black
Randle/Bass/Nance
Batum/Brown
DeRozan/Lou/Brown
Russell/Clarkson

What does Derozan do well that would have you replace Clarkson with him? Dude is overrated.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

2. Batum at 16-18M
3. Roy Hibbert at 16-18M

Hibbert/Upshaw/Black
Randle/Bass/Nance
Batum/Brown
DeRozan/Lou/Brown
Russell/Clarkson

What does Derozan do well that would have you replace Clarkson with him? Dude is overrated.

exactly. DeRozan gets 25 but batum 16/18? not happening
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Batum is injury prone. Derozan is not so much better option at sg than clarkson. Scorers with unreliable 3pt shooting.

Kevin ollie then kevin durant or bust!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

2. Batum at 16-18M
3. Roy Hibbert at 16-18M

Hibbert/Upshaw/Black
Randle/Bass/Nance
Batum/Brown
DeRozan/Lou/Brown
Russell/Clarkson

DeRozan is the quintessential example of a guy who puts up raw stats, without giving you quality efficiency. Here are his most common possession types, listed by percent of his possessions followed by efficiency:

Pick and Roll Ballhandler- 21.5%, .79 PPP
Off Screens- 16.2%, .82 PPP
Isolation- 16.1%, .85 PPP
Spot Up- 12.8%, .84 PPP
Post Up- 9.7%, .93 PPP

That's more than 3/4 of his possessions, and not a single PPP of 1 or better.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook's game won't age well. I wouldn't be surprised if he has another severe knee injury in the next 2 years.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject:

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2016/

I'll admit it's total pipe but the other teams who can offer multi-max contracts next summer (i.e. will have at least $50 million in cap room) are:

Charlotte
Philadelphia
Denver
Portland
Miami (borderline - and would involve releasing Wade)

Other than Miami, which would have to use up all that cap room if they want to retain both Wade and Whiteside, none of those teams hold a clear competitive advantage over us.

And honestly $60 million will probably be an underestimate. I expect Bass to opt out and Young can be stretched which would bring us close to $65 million. Other things that would allow us to even clear $70 million would be stretching Lou and a higher-than-projected final cap figure, like was the case this summer. We are enticingly close to being able to offer 3 max offers, especially if we target at least one or two certain players who will have less than 7 years experience (Parsons, Whiteside, and/or Mozgov). Nobody will be able to come close to that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Interesting point. Having 2 max spots will change things IMO. Maybe not durant but with other FAs. Of course this depends a lot on Kobe's future too.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Interesting point. Having 2 max spots will change things IMO. Maybe not durant but with other FAs. Of course this depends a lot on Kobe's future too.

What is so interesting is the league has totally changed, out with the old in with the new. Can the Jim Buss Lakers bring the Lakers back to being an NBA power?

Good work.....a true fan
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:

He might be able to return Lakers to the glory days but another way become better is through trades and absorbing players through cap space.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Horford
Randle
Durant
Russell
Clarkson
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Very unpopular idea but I'd keep pursuing Cousins and offer 2 first rounders over obtaining Horford, even if he was obtainable.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject:

legend825 wrote:
Very unpopular idea but I'd keep pursuing Cousins and offer 2 first rounders over obtaining Horford, even if he was obtainable.
we dont have first rounders until 2020 and 2022
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

2. Batum at 16-18M
3. Roy Hibbert at 16-18M

Hibbert/Upshaw/Black
Randle/Bass/Nance
Batum/Brown
DeRozan/Lou/Brown
Russell/Clarkson

DeRozan is the quintessential example of a guy who puts up raw stats, without giving you quality efficiency. Here are his most common possession types, listed by percent of his possessions followed by efficiency:

Spot Up- 12.8%, .84 PPP
Post Up- 9.7%, .93 PPP

Thank You. People keep mentioning Derozan just because he's a 'name'. But if the Lakers were to invest in him especially at the price he wants, it would be a really bad decision.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

2. Batum at 16-18M
3. Roy Hibbert at 16-18M

Hibbert/Upshaw/Black
Randle/Bass/Nance
Batum/Brown
DeRozan/Lou/Brown
Russell/Clarkson

Spot Up- 12.8%, .84 PPP
Post Up- 9.7%, .93 PPP

Thank you for posting this. I know there isn't a lot out there, but please no DeRozan.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject:

If the season goes as I hope I would say:

Resign Hibbert 2 year deal like Jordan Hill only alot more money of course.
Resign Clarkson longterm
Resign Bass to a 3 year deal
Sign Batum longterm

Lakers probably have about 5-8 million in cap space after these moves. Sign a player to a one year deal?

Russell/Clarkson/Lou
Clarkson/Lou/Young
Batum/A Brown/Nance
Randle/Bass/Nance/Batum
Hibbert/Upshaw/Randle/Bass

Its not fireworks, but the team could be solid defensively with some shooters.

Then opt out of the Hibbert deal and go after Westbrook in 2017. Maybe Hibbert resigns to go for a chip?

I could see it going down like this?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 2682, 2683, 2684  Next
Page 2 of 2684
Jump to: