OFFICIAL 2016 FREE AGENCY (PINCUS states 2017-18 salary cap falling to $102m; Lakers get Calderon, pg.2432; sign Deng 4 yr/$72M; Mozgov 4 yr/$64M; Tarik Black 2 yr/$12.85M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1621, 1622, 1623 ... 2682, 2683, 2684  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject:

lakerhaterhater wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Why is everyone so high on Whiteside? The guy was cut like 10 times by teams all over the world before becoming what he is right now. I still don't think one good breakout year justify getting a max contract. He is risky for sure. I'd take Biyombo for half the price. Nobody is talking about Biyombo, the guy who rejected Lebrick in the playoffs. I'd rather see Biyombo grow with our young core.

I don't understand why Laker fans are so picky. the team essentially has no shot at KD and DD and yet we think we are good enough to pass on a double double machine and a potential 20/10 C because of blank reasons.

If Lakers sign Whiteside it will be a Big Step for the Organization and the team will finally have the confidence to close deals with FAs.

I think many like myself aren't oblivious to his talent, its the attitude. If we somehow got him, he'd be a senior and probably the best player on our team going into the season.
Now the rub, who's gonna check him?
Who's gonna talk him down when things aren't going his way? Is he going to be fine with deferring to younger players?
Tis why I don't see him coming here unless we got someone he respects and could listen to.

B. Shaw and Julius will put a beat down on him if he gets out of line.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject:

I find the Whiteside angst to be a bit odd for fans of what was one of the worst teams in the league last season. The team desperately needs talent, and they also have a glaring hole at the center position. Zubac may be the long term answer, but he likely will not be ready to assume that role for a couple more years. In the interim, the Lakers need not hitch their wagon to Whiteside forever. He can flipped a few years down the road while he still has value. The Lakers have proven willing dealers of centers (trading both Bynum and the vetoed Pau trade). If Whiteside becomes a distraction in the locker room, they'll just send him elsewhere and get other talent in return. In the meantime, they get a double-double, 3+ blocks per rim protecting 7 footer. The downside here is relatively minor--the team does not have eternal loyalty to HW, so they won't go down with him like they did with Kobe in his waning years. There are certainly reasons to be concerned about him but at the end of the day, he's going to add wins next season and that is part of the first steps back toward contention.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
I'm glad DeRozan is willing to take a little less so they can also bring back Biyombo. I know we need a Center desperately but... I don't know if I could stomach 4 years of Biyombo... we ALREADY had Kwame Brown... I mean... sheesh, if you threw the ball at his head, the ball would slip through his stone hands and hit him right in the friggin head! That's a special, I'd even say, ELITE level of stone handedness...

OTOH, for those in favor of BB, the article states that he's willing to wait for the DD situation to play out which gives us time to wait out Whiteside as well.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
I find the Whiteside angst to be a bit odd for fans of what was one of the worst teams in the league last season. The team desperately needs talent, and they also have a glaring hole at the center position. Zubac may be the long term answer, but he likely will not be ready to assume that role for a couple more years. In the interim, the Lakers need not hitch their wagon to Whiteside forever. He can flipped a few years down the road while he still has value. The Lakers have proven willing dealers of centers (trading both Bynum and the vetoed Pau trade). If Whiteside becomes a distraction in the locker room, they'll just send him elsewhere and get other talent in return. In the meantime, they get a double-double, 3+ blocks per rim protecting 7 footer. The downside here is relatively minor--the team does not have eternal loyalty to HW, so they won't go down with him like they did with Kobe in his waning years. There are certainly reasons to be concerned about him but at the end of the day, he's going to add wins next season and that is part of the first steps back toward contention.

We have the perfect people for Whiteside to succeed

Luke/Shaw and potentially a few vets to get on his ear.

I'm not worried about it.
farzadkavari
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
RG73 wrote:

+1, I agree I think Lakers are in no position to making these things an issue. After hitting complete failure with past 2 years in free agency you just dont pass up on players with potential like whiteside. You take the risk and work it out.

Last edited by farzadkavari on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
Sam Amick:
As for DeRozan, he has plenty of options on hold as well. The Lakers, who could wind up getting a meeting with DeRozan, in part, because he still resides there during the summer, are widely known to be very interested in making him part of their young core. The Clippers, Golden State Warriors, Miami Heat, New York Knicks, and Orlando Magic are also hoping to lure him stateside.

Can I ask why the Clippers are linked with every damn FA?
They barely have any cap to play with.

1. Some observers feel that they have plateaued with their current roster and need to shake things up some.

2. Blake's actions have caused some PR headaches and he would be the logical candidate to be moved in a Sign and Trade for a major free agent.

3. Blake has an Early Termination Option for Summer 2017 and the Clippers could lose him to another team. It would be better for them to act now and get something for him rather than lament him signing elsewhere next Summer.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject:

legend825 wrote:
@Inspector Gadget, the Clippers are linked due to market, coach, and the fact that they are a good team unlike the Lakers and Kings.

Clippers are capped out. It doesn't matter what the NBA thinks about them there flexibility to make moves is tiny and they aren't gonna trade all there players just to sign someone.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
RG73 wrote:

I think there's legitimate concern but am willing to take the risk considering our situation. And as RG stated, he can always be dealt. There will always be teams willing to take the risk and the cap will soar again next summer which ensures there will be no shortage of teams who will need to spend. And the last resort is that he can simply be amnestied.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
Sam Amick:
As for DeRozan, he has plenty of options on hold as well. The Lakers, who could wind up getting a meeting with DeRozan, in part, because he still resides there during the summer, are widely known to be very interested in making him part of their young core. The Clippers, Golden State Warriors, Miami Heat, New York Knicks, and Orlando Magic are also hoping to lure him stateside.

1. Some observers feel that they have plateaued with their current roster and need to shake things up some.

2. Blake's actions have caused some PR headaches and he would be the logical candidate to be moved in a Sign and Trade for a major free agent.

3. Blake has an Early Termination Option for Summer 2017 and the Clippers could lose him to another team. It would be better for them to act now and get something for him rather than lament him signing elsewhere next Summer.

I wonder which team is willing to take a chance on a guy who might turn into another injury-riddled player.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
RG73 wrote:

I think there's legitimate concern but am willing to take the risk considering our situation. And as RG stated, he can always be dealt. There will always be teams willing to take the risk and the cap will soar again next summer which ensures there will be no shortage of teams who will need to spend. And the last resort is that he can simply be amnestied.

Yeah.

Look what Bynum fetched when he had attitude problems -- brewing... Howard.

If the Lakers don't get Whiteside and he ends up making a major Impact in DAL or POR then it will make it even worse.

Lakers need to get this done quickly before Whiteside turns another WC team into a powerhouse.
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject:

Lakers will get Whiteside & Harrison Barnes. Will also make a surprise move to sign 1 max player that doesnt come up with discussions here.
They are not looking at making trades that involves upcoming young stars of the team.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject:

At this stage I think it's worthless for me, at least, to second guess what Mitch may have in mind but if his first two moves are DeRozen and Whiteside, I think he'll put the money on the table, with a time limit and let their actual teams decide if that's what they want. In the case of Miami they want to flirt with others and the Raptors will want to keep Biyombo as well.

But if the Lakers go Biyombo / DeRozen, they could both get paid Vs the Raptors struggle with the cap.

Horford would ge nice but I'm not sure the FO has him in their sights right now, but since Mitch uses many smoke screens anything is possible.

It does sound like the FO will pass on KD given his lack of interest. This may be enough of a distraction for other teams for the Lakers to land who they want.

Not much of s wait till Friday so things will get interesting.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject:

This thread is entertaining at times. Some of the debates going on concerning why some players are not worth a certain price or not as good as another's favorite are comical. No disrespect meant but some of the attitude displayed is delusional.

If even one of any of the proposed free agent signings happens I am going to be thrilled. If some of the multiple signings...I would be ecstatic.

I understand it is fun to debate the possibilities and announce our favorite "plans". I do it myself.

I am nervous as hell with this free agent period. Who the Lakers sign will define the the wisdom of the past 3 years. If they are able to sign a couple quality players and upgrade the roster it will be amazing...no matter which free agents they are or their flaws or simply just not the guy someone wanted.

It is just as likely this free agency could be as much a disappointment as if they had lost the top 3 pick. I could argue that it may be even more devastating a blow to the organization in fact. If not just the marquee free agents but the lesser tiers decide to go elsewhere it could get ugly from a perception point of view.

The next couple weeks will be critical in the rebuild. Which players choosing to join the team either continues the positive momentum or stops it dead in its tracks. It matters if a top player or two sign in the opening of free agency or if Kupchak is going to emergency back-up plans a week into it.

Until those first couple players sign I will continue to be anxious. And I may not fully agree with the option the Lakers decide to go with but I am looking for improvement. And be thankful for it. At least I hope I will.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
Sam Amick:

I wonder which team is willing to take a chance on a guy who might turn into another injury-riddled player.

Chris Paul is 31 and his window won't stay open forever.

Overall, their roster looks to be older and they need to do something before their players just fade away.

Chris Paul 31
DeAndre Jordan 27
Blake Griffin 27
Jeff Green 29 -- Free Agent
J.J. Redick 32
Jamal Crawford 36 -- Free Agent
Paul Pierce 38
Austin Rivers 23 - Free Agent
Luc Mbah a Moute 29 -- Free Agent
C.J. Wilcox 25
Cole Aldrich 27
Wesley Johnson 28
Pablo Prigioni 39 -- Free Agent
Branden Dawson 23
Jeff Ayres 29 -- Free Agent
RowellGboy7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
al242 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
Is it true that Miami can't offer whiteside the max because they don't own his bird rights ? So technically the lakers could offer him more ?

I think it's more along the lines of them not being able to pay Wade and whiteside the max. Someone provide some clarity.

For Miami, they have multiple issues to resolve:

1. They lack full Bird Rights on Whiteside and thus they can't put his contract situation on hold while they do other roster moves under the salary cap. The lack of having a favorable Cap Hold for Whiteside makes things difficult for the Heat.

2. The existing contracts for six players (Bosh, Dragic, McRoberts, Winslow, Josh Richardson and Briante Weber etc) represent almost $50 million in salary and they have multiple roster holes to fill with roughly $44 million to work with.

3. Moving Bosh's salary off the books via a medical retirement isn't possible until February while the contracts for others need to be handled this summer.

4. Wade is aging and would like to get paid before he retires.

Can you imagine if Heat does a salary dump deal with us for Bosh + picks, then all of a sudden he's 100% cleared to play?
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject:

jankobe wrote:
Lakers will get Whiteside & Harrison Barnes. Will also make a surprise move to sign 1 max player that doesnt come up with discussions here.
They are not looking at making trades that involves upcoming young stars of the team.

how do you know?
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

lakerhaterhater wrote:

I think many like myself aren't oblivious to his talent, its the attitude. If we somehow got him, he'd be a senior and probably the best player on our team going into the season.
Now the rub, who's gonna check him?
Who's gonna talk him down when things aren't going his way? Is he going to be fine with deferring to younger players?
Tis why I don't see him coming here unless we got someone he respects and could listen to.

Marvin Williams
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

RowellGboy7 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
al242 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
Is it true that Miami can't offer whiteside the max because they don't own his bird rights ? So technically the lakers could offer him more ?

I think it's more along the lines of them not being able to pay Wade and whiteside the max. Someone provide some clarity.

1. They lack full Bird Rights on Whiteside and thus they can't put his contract situation on hold while they do other roster moves under the salary cap. The lack of having a favorable Cap Hold for Whiteside makes things difficult for the Heat.

2. The existing contracts for six players (Bosh, Dragic, McRoberts, Winslow, Josh Richardson and Briante Weber etc) represent almost $50 million in salary and they have multiple roster holes to fill with roughly $44 million to work with.

3. Moving Bosh's salary off the books via a medical retirement isn't possible until February while the contracts for others need to be handled this summer.

Can you imagine if Heat does a salary dump deal with us for Bosh + picks, then all of a sudden he's 100% cleared to play?

i doubt that
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject:

RowellGboy7 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
al242 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

What's more likely is Bosh has complications and can't play, Pat Riley will send you a bottle of wine and chocolates for saving his team.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
legend825 wrote:
it was VERY obvious but ppl still brought up his name cause LA is home for him.
It's only a few people that bring up Derozan name or have him in their sig. Most of us knew he was staying after his exit interview.

I wanted Batum but he said he wants a deal done early with the Hornets. Same with Bazemore. I think Whiteside, Parsons, and Deng are the most realistic free agents we can get.

lol. It's because folks' "analysis" of his game was so ridiculous.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
Sam Amick:

Chris Paul is 31 and his window won't stay open forever.

Overall, their roster looks to be older and they need to do something before their players just fade away.

Chris Paul 31
DeAndre Jordan 27
Blake Griffin 27
Jeff Green 29 -- Free Agent
J.J. Redick 32
Jamal Crawford 36 -- Free Agent
Paul Pierce 38
Austin Rivers 23 - Free Agent
Luc Mbah a Moute 29 -- Free Agent
C.J. Wilcox 25
Cole Aldrich 27
Wesley Johnson 28
Pablo Prigioni 39 -- Free Agent
Branden Dawson 23
Jeff Ayres 29 -- Free Agent

They can try as much as they want.

Let's see what Doc Rivers the GM does.

even if the Clippers clear enough flexibility I highly doubt they are gonna sign every FA.

The Clippers need to start rebuilding for the future instead of bringing in vets who won't make a difference.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

Not happy with the news that Lakers are going to pursue Whiteside, especially with the max price. To many question marks with him including, attitude, Durability and as it relates to Basketball his man to man coverage, and pick and roll defense on the perimeter.

Its also IMO a bad argument IMO to say if he doesn't play well or has attitude problems we could just trade him. Its true, we can just trade him but if he is having problems, what team is going to trade draft picks and young players for him? Most likely will have to take bad contracts back in return. This is just hypothetical as he could still develop and become a consistently great player.

I also have my doubts about how he fits in a frontcourt with Julius.

That being said we need a center. And I am a fan and will hope for the positives in terms of his game if we do happen to acquire him.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

RowellGboy7 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
al242 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

1. Miami owes two first round picks to Phoenix from the trade for Dragic, so it will be difficult for Riley to muster up enough picks to move Bosh's contract.

2. Bosh is owed $75,868,170 over the three remaining years of his contract. That is a huge chunk of salary to eat even if Riley sends compensation to the receiving team.

3. Only Miami can get a salary exclusion on a medical retirement for Bosh's blood - circulatory issue.

63. What are the rules for retired players? What if the player suffers a career-ending injury?

Quote:
Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player is no longer playing or has retired.

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is excluded from team salary. This is when a player suffers a career-ending injury or illness. The team must waive the player, and can apply for this salary exclusion following a waiting period. Only the player's team at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered) can apply for this salary exclusion.
farzadkavari
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Not happy with the news that Lakers are going to pursue Whiteside, especially with the max price. To many question marks with him including, attitude, Durability and as it relates to Basketball his man to man coverage, and pick and roll defense on the perimeter.

Its also IMO a bad argument IMO to say if he doesn't play well or has attitude problems we could just trade him. Its true, we can just trade him but if he is having problems, what team is going to trade draft picks and young players for him? Most likely will have to take bad contracts back in return. This is just hypothetical as he could still develop and become a consistently great player.

I also have my doubts about how he fits in a frontcourt with Julius.

That being said we need a center. And I am a fan and will hope for the positives in terms of his game if we do happen to acquire him.

Dude what are you talking about? We should consider ourself lucky if Whiteside signs. Have you been watching free agency for past few years? It's been an embarrassment off seasons.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

jankobe wrote:

A surprise max player? Like a player who shouldn't get the max, but we're going to give it to him? Pretty sure we've piped abut every possible FA, would love to know who we haven't talked about.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1621, 1622, 1623 ... 2682, 2683, 2684  Next
Page 1622 of 2684
Jump to: