OFFICIAL 2016 FREE AGENCY (PINCUS states 2017-18 salary cap falling to $102m; Lakers get Calderon, pg.2432; sign Deng 4 yr/$72M; Mozgov 4 yr/$64M; Tarik Black 2 yr/$12.85M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1622, 1623, 1624 ... 2682, 2683, 2684  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

Whiteside, S. Hill(defense), and Crabbe(.394%3pt'rs+ defense)
Get after it Mitch!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Not happy with the news that Lakers are going to pursue Whiteside, especially with the max price. To many question marks with him including, attitude, Durability and as it relates to Basketball his man to man coverage, and pick and roll defense on the perimeter.

Its also IMO a bad argument IMO to say if he doesn't play well or has attitude problems we could just trade him. Its true, we can just trade him but if he is having problems, what team is going to trade draft picks and young players for him? Most likely will have to take bad contracts back in return. This is just hypothetical as he could still develop and become a consistently great player.

I also have my doubts about how he fits in a frontcourt with Julius.

That being said we need a center. And I am a fan and will hope for the positives in terms of his game if we do happen to acquire him.

Thankfully he's a lower tier max. He's talented and would be a massive talent upgrade. At worst he becomes a tradeable asset.
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

exactly @yinoma2001
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
Sam Amick:
As for DeRozan, he has plenty of options on hold as well. The Lakers, who could wind up getting a meeting with DeRozan, in part, because he still resides there during the summer, are widely known to be very interested in making him part of their young core. The Clippers, Golden State Warriors, Miami Heat, New York Knicks, and Orlando Magic are also hoping to lure him stateside.

Can I ask why the Clippers are linked with every damn FA?
They barely have any cap to play with.

1. Some observers feel that they have plateaued with their current roster and need to shake things up some.

2. Blake's actions have caused some PR headaches and he would be the logical candidate to be moved in a Sign and Trade for a major free agent.

3. Blake has an Early Termination Option for Summer 2017 and the Clippers could lose him to another team. It would be better for them to act now and get something for him rather than lament him signing elsewhere next Summer.

I wonder which team is willing to take a chance on a guy who might turn into another injury-riddled player.

Chris Paul is 31 and his window won't stay open forever.

Overall, their roster looks to be older and they need to do something before their players just fade away.

Chris Paul 31
DeAndre Jordan 27
Blake Griffin 27
Jeff Green 29 -- Free Agent
J.J. Redick 32
Jamal Crawford 36 -- Free Agent
Paul Pierce 38
Austin Rivers 23 - Free Agent
Luc Mbah a Moute 29 -- Free Agent
C.J. Wilcox 25
Cole Aldrich 27
Wesley Johnson 28
Pablo Prigioni 39 -- Free Agent
Branden Dawson 23
Jeff Ayres 29 -- Free Agent

They can try as much as they want.

Let's see what Doc Rivers the GM does.

even if the Clippers clear enough flexibility I highly doubt they are gonna sign every FA.

The Clippers need to start rebuilding for the future instead of bringing in vets who won't make a difference.

It will be difficult for the Clippers to tell Chris Paul that. The Lakers very recently went through the same thing with Kobe of trying to patch the roster by pursuing Melo, LeBron, LMA etc.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject:

Sign derozan
Sign durant
sign noah

PG.russell / clarkson
SG.derozan / williams
SF.Ingram / brown
PF.durant / randle
C.noah / nance

oh my!!!!!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject:

Troblin wrote:
I just think that Whiteside is the antithesis of the culture that the Lakers are trying to build.

He seems like a ME first player and is all about the money. Could be a bad influence on the rest of the team.

explain how or why you think he's a me first" type of player.

This whole knocking other players is getting out of hand. The man can be a 20/12/3 center and we're trying to critique his character based on what?

I do think Luke is a great coach for him and getting vets is key regardless
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

farzadkavari wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Not happy with the news that Lakers are going to pursue Whiteside, especially with the max price. To many question marks with him including, attitude, Durability and as it relates to Basketball his man to man coverage, and pick and roll defense on the perimeter.

Its also IMO a bad argument IMO to say if he doesn't play well or has attitude problems we could just trade him. Its true, we can just trade him but if he is having problems, what team is going to trade draft picks and young players for him? Most likely will have to take bad contracts back in return. This is just hypothetical as he could still develop and become a consistently great player.

That being said we need a center. And I am a fan and will hope for the positives in terms of his game if we do happen to acquire him.

Dude what are you talking about? We should consider ourself lucky if Whiteside signs. Have you been watching free agency for past few years? It's been an embarrassment off seasons.

Yes I have been watching the past few years. I wouldn't say lucky and would save that term for Durant.

IMO whiteside is a gamble. could turn out to be good or bad. Nobody knows.
you can disagree that's totally fine, this is just my opinion.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

The guy matured late. Averaged 15 ppg 11 rpg and 4 blocks but we don't want him? The guy single handidly changes defensive schemes. The Heat would've beaten the Raps and given the Cavs a run just because of his defensive presence if he didn't get hurt.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
The guy matured late. Averaged 15 ppg 11 rpg and 4 blocks but we don't want him? The guy single handidly changes defensive schemes. The Heat would've beaten the Raps and given the Cavs a run just because of his defensive presence if he didn't get hurt.

the way the game is changing you need a big who can switch into guards and contest jump shooters.. he often leaves guys wide open when going for blocks. Give me noah, a guy who will stick to the defensive plan and is probably the best big man passer in the league when healthy.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

Thankfully he's a lower tier max. He's talented and would be a massive talent upgrade. At worst he becomes a tradeable asset.

For sure I understand that.

I think there are worse case scenarios with him. But you are right, he is on paper a huge talent upgrade. Only time will tell how he plays on a young team, where he potentially is considered the best player.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
Sam Amick:
As for DeRozan, he has plenty of options on hold as well. The Lakers, who could wind up getting a meeting with DeRozan, in part, because he still resides there during the summer, are widely known to be very interested in making him part of their young core. The Clippers, Golden State Warriors, Miami Heat, New York Knicks, and Orlando Magic are also hoping to lure him stateside.

1. Some observers feel that they have plateaued with their current roster and need to shake things up some.

2. Blake's actions have caused some PR headaches and he would be the logical candidate to be moved in a Sign and Trade for a major free agent.

3. Blake has an Early Termination Option for Summer 2017 and the Clippers could lose him to another team. It would be better for them to act now and get something for him rather than lament him signing elsewhere next Summer.

I wonder which team is willing to take a chance on a guy who might turn into another injury-riddled player.

Overall, their roster looks to be older and they need to do something before their players just fade away.

Chris Paul 31
DeAndre Jordan 27
Blake Griffin 27
J.J. Redick 32
Paul Pierce 38
C.J. Wilcox 25
Cole Aldrich 27
Wesley Johnson 28
Branden Dawson 23

even if the Clippers clear enough flexibility I highly doubt they are gonna sign every FA.

The Clippers need to start rebuilding for the future instead of bringing in vets who won't make a difference.

It will be difficult for the Clippers to tell Chris Paul that. The Lakers very recently went through the same thing with Kobe of trying to patch the roster by pursuing Melo, LeBron, LMA etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing Clippers make there panic moves- only to come up dry in the playoffs.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
King Randle wrote:

the way the game is changing you need a big who can switch into guards and contest jump shooters.. he often leaves guys wide open when going for blocks. Give me noah, a guy who will stick to the defensive plan and is probably the best big man passer in the league when healthy.

Really? Guys refuse to take the ball to the basket because of him. He's so damn long he can back off 5 feet from shooters and still block their shots. Don Casey said he was a nightmare for them. Stop the hate
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
farzadkavari wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

Dude what are you talking about? We should consider ourself lucky if Whiteside signs. Have you been watching free agency for past few years? It's been an embarrassment off seasons.

Yes I have been watching the past few years. I wouldn't say lucky and would save that term for Durant.

You know what is going to go bad for sure? Not getting anybody. Every player has weaknesses and could end up not working out, it doesn't make it any less neccessary for the Lakers to try and get those players. The Lakers need any talent we can get.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject:

Folks. We won 17 games. Sure it would be nice to sign a prime MJ or Magic. But that's not what's available. Almost all of the top FAs listed will be a great upgrade this summer.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Why is everyone so high on Whiteside? The guy was cut like 10 times by teams all over the world before becoming what he is right now. I still don't think one good breakout year justify getting a max contract. He is risky for sure. I'd take Biyombo for half the price. Nobody is talking about Biyombo, the guy who rejected Lebrick in the playoffs. I'd rather see Biyombo grow with our young core.

I like Biyombo but were comparing a guy who had a few great games in the playoffs against a guy whose had one great season and then followed that up with a phenomenal season.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
Sam Amick:

Chris Paul 31
DeAndre Jordan 27
Blake Griffin 27
J.J. Redick 32
Paul Pierce 38
C.J. Wilcox 25
Cole Aldrich 27
Wesley Johnson 28
Branden Dawson 23

I'm looking forward to seeing Clippers make there panic moves- only to come up dry in the playoffs.

I understand your sentiments from a fan's POV, but it is sad from a strictly basketball POV that not all superstars such as Chris Paul will be able to win a championship.

Only one champion each season, so many players will finish their careers without a ring.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

BigGameHames wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
farzadkavari wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

You know what is going to go bad for sure? Not getting anybody. Every player has weaknesses and could end up not working out, it doesn't make it any less neccessary for the Lakers to try and get those players. The Lakers need any talent we can get.

For sure I am of the opinion that not getting anybody wouldn't be that bad especially in this years free agent crop.

But I understand frustration of fans that are sick of losing.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Folks. We won 17 games. Sure it would be nice to sign a prime MJ or Magic. But that's not what's available. Almost all of the top FAs listed will be a great upgrade this summer.

Yeah.

Let's become the Utah Jazz, I bet there only significant signing since existing in the NBA in 1974 was Carlos Boozer maybe that might make people appreciate us possibily signing Whiteside.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

Luke just came from the Warriors and he wants Whiteside. That's all that needs to be said. He knows what he needs to win and fulfill his vision better than anybody.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
Sam Amick:

Chris Paul 31
DeAndre Jordan 27
Blake Griffin 27
J.J. Redick 32
Paul Pierce 38
C.J. Wilcox 25
Cole Aldrich 27
Wesley Johnson 28
Branden Dawson 23

I understand your sentiments from a fan's POV, but it is sad from a strictly basketball POV that not all superstars such as Chris Paul will be able to win a championship.

Only one champion each season, so many players will finish their careers without a ring.

Actually CP3 is a fun players to watch and I agree he deserves a championship ring.

If he thinks his time has ran out with the Clippers, the 2017 summer will give him the chance to sign with a team that might give him a opportunity.

The Clipper curse is strong.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

BobbyB wrote:

Even in the current NBA, there will always be takers for talented 7 footers. And historically, talented 7 footers have always had "attitude" problems. Just look at the history of Lakers centers: Young Kareem--forced his way to LA, then proceeded to be a temperamental jerk, sinking the team one season because he had to break his hand punching a guy. Shaq--lazy, out of shape, didn't want to work hard all the time. Pau? Pouty and disappeared often. Bynum? Didn't focus on basketball enough, did dumb crap all the time. Howard (I'll throw him in here despite his height): all kinds of attitude issues. I'm not saying Whiteside is on their level, but it isn't uncommon for bigs to be labeled with "attitude" issues. Just look at Cousins and Okafor. For every Duncan and Robinson, there are 4 or 5 Cousins and Okafors and Whitesides complaining about touches, being distracted off the court, etc. Maybe there is some genetic component to being really big and having emotional issues. Who the hell knows....but you're going to be hard pressed finding a truly talented center who doesn't have some baggage. And in every case, there are always takers for those centers. If Cousins or Okafor were being shopped right now, you can be certain their respective teams would be fielding calls from almost every team in the league. So I'm not worried about moving HW should he prove problematic.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Inspector Gadget wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah.

Let's become the Utah Jazz, I bet there only significant signing since existing in the NBA in 1974 was Carlos Boozer maybe that might make people appreciate us possibily signing Whiteside.

I'd love to be the Utah Jazz, they won 40 games.

Seriously, no wonder people hate Laker fans.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
FYI -- ESPN reporting that LA is hopeful they can still set up a meeting with Durant on July 1.

Just when you thought the Laker FO . . . (shakes head)

I don't think there's any reason to set-up a meaning and say .. "Hey, come join Whiteside and our young kids..." Or Horford, or whoever. They're going to have to show more, and my feeling is that they will tell Durant they can package Ingram/Randle or whatever for a super-star. That's my gut feeling. If we get Durant, Ingram will never wear the purple and gold.

Horford
Cousins (Ingram/Randle traded to Kings)
Durant
Clarkson
Russell

Something strong like that. And whatever the Lakers present to him, if it's not enough, I'm good with that too because I'm partial to keeping Ingram and seeing the kids grow together.

I don't know about that.

G - Russell, Clarkson, Lou
G/F - Ingram, Brown
F - Durant, Young
F/C - Randle, Nance
C - Whiteside, Zubac

That's two max slots for Durant and Whiteside. (They could stretch Young if they can't find a trade partner it seems every team wants their future second round pick.) They have length and perimeter shooting at 1, 2 and double-doubles at 4, 5 to clean up the missed shots and they would have a bench. That's a four year window around Durant that could be extended depending on the growth of Russell and Ingram. That's not bad...

And no where close to what OKC has. As for the OP, does he really think these guys are dying to play with a ball hog like Cousins?
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Luke just came from the Warriors and he wants Whiteside. That's all that needs to be said. He knows what he needs to win and fulfill his vision better than anybody.

In other words we should all shut up and give Luke what he wants.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:

In other words we should all shut up and give Luke what he wants.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1622, 1623, 1624 ... 2682, 2683, 2684  Next
Page 1623 of 2684
Jump to: