OFFICIAL 2016 FREE AGENCY (PINCUS states 2017-18 salary cap falling to $102m; Lakers get Calderon, pg.2432; sign Deng 4 yr/$72M; Mozgov 4 yr/$64M; Tarik Black 2 yr/$12.85M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2636, 2637, 2638 ... 2682, 2683, 2684  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

We didn't have a bad season last year because Young spent time off the court with DLO and Clarkson.
We had a bad season because (A) coaching and (B) not enough talent on roster.

And now I see all these arguments for non-basketball reasons to trade Young now. To sell low on a guy who could easily improve his trade value if we gave him minutes. All so we can give 3rd string minutes to who? Anthony Brown? A guy who statistically misses more OPEN shots (% wise) than any other NBA player I know of.

I get it. His off the court stuff is a distraction. But lets not get it twisted. Talent on the floor is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger problem than off the court stuff. And I'm not saying keep Young forever. Just get his trade value up a little so we can actually get something in return for our asset. He was our leading scorer the last time we ran a modern offense. I'm not saying that will happen again, but there is definitely room for his trade value to go up.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
We didn't have a bad season last year because Young spent time off the court with DLO and Clarkson.

And now I see all these arguments for non-basketball reasons to trade Young now. To sell low on a guy who could easily improve his trade value if we gave him minutes. All so we can give 3rd string minutes to who? Anthony Brown? A guy who statistically misses more OPEN shots than any other NBA player I know of.

I get it. His off the court stuff is a distraction. But lets not get it twisted. Talent on the floor is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger problem than off the court stuff. And I'm not saying keep Young forever. Just get his trade value up a little so we can actually get something in return for our asset. He was our leading scorer the last time we ran a modern offense. I'm not saying that will happen again, but there is definitely room for his trade value to go up.

Of course it's non-basketball reasons that are the impetus for cutting him.

How do you build up his value without taking away PT from guys like Ingram? Deng/Ingram already taking up SF minutes, and at SG, you have a rotation of JC/Lou/DLO/Ingram.

So how would the Lakers increase his trade value again?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

And now I see all these arguments for non-basketball reasons to trade Young now. To sell low on a guy who could easily improve his trade value if we gave him minutes. All so we can give 3rd string minutes to who? Anthony Brown? A guy who statistically misses more OPEN shots than any other NBA player I know of.

How do you build up his value without taking away PT from guys like Ingram? Deng/Ingram already taking up SF minutes, and at SG, you have a rotation of JC/Lou/DLO/Ingram.

If I was making the rotation, I'd start the season with these minutes.

Pg: Russell 24 mpg , Clarkson 12 mpg, Calderon/Huertas 12 MPG
Sg: Clarkson 20 mpg, Lou 20 mpg, Russell 8 mpg
Sf: Deng 20 mpg , Ingram 24 mpg, Young 4 mpg
Pf: Randle 18 mpg, Nance 18 mpg, Deng 12 mpg
C: Moz 24 mpg , Nance 12 mpg, Randle 12 mpg

And if Young contributes on the floor better than Calderon and Huertas (easily do-able). Lou can take some of those PG minutes from Calderon/Huertas and allow Young to get some of Lou's SG minutes.
Remember Lou playing PG in Luke's system means bringing down the ball and initiating the offense with a pass and running off ball stuff (not the ISO stuff we saw with Scott last year).

Of course in actuality Yi will get minutes (and I don't give him any in my rotation). But that really doesn't affect Young's potential minutes. It really affects the big man rotation.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:

So by playing Young 4mpg, you expect his trade value to increase by how much?

Lou isn't going to play "PG" under Luke even if he did under Scott. I think Luke will play Calderon a decent amount of minutes b/c he can create shots and hit 3s (41% last year).
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

And if Young contributes on the floor better than Calderon and Huertas (easily do-able). Lou can take some of those PG minutes from Calderon/Huertas and allow Young to get some of Lou's SG minutes.
Remember Lou playing PG in Luke's system means bringing down the ball and initiating the offense with a pass and running off ball stuff (not the ISO stuff we saw with Scott last year).

Of course in actuality Yi will get minutes (and I don't give him any in my rotation). But that really doesn't affect Young's potential minutes. It really affects the big man rotation.

Yeah, but on the other hand Mitch is not going to wait long to get rid of him though.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Lou isn't going to play "PG" under Luke even if he did under Scott. I think Luke will play Calderon a decent amount of minutes b/c he can create shots and hit 3s (41% last year).

at the bolded
I'll just repeat myself. You must've missed it.

Calderon couldn't get off the bench in the Olympics. Lou is a better player. The offense can create shots, don't need a PG running traditional high pick and roll to create shots in Luke's offense.
And a backcourt with Lou and Young has better defensive potential than a backcourt with Calderon and Lou.
Defense needs to be a priority if we're trying to not tank again.

If you think Calderon can contribute on the floor better than Young this year, I disagree.
If you think selling low on Young for non basketball reasons is a good idea, I disagree.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

at the bolded

Calderon couldn't get off the bench in the Olympics. Lou is a better player. The offense can create shots, don't need a PG running traditional high pick and roll to create shots in Luke's offense.
And a backcourt with Lou and Young has better defensive potential than a backcourt with Calderon and Lou.

If you think Calderon can contribute on the floor better than Young this year, I disagree.

And your assumption that Lou will play PG "misses" the mark. If Swaggy plays it'll be as a "SG." JC will get 30-32 mpg, mostly at SG. Lou should get at least 16-18mpg there. Where is Swaggy playing?

I think your analysis of Calderon being tied to Swaggy's play is misguided.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

at the bolded

And your assumption that Lou will play PG "misses" the mark. If Swaggy plays it'll be as a "SG." JC will get 30-32 mpg, mostly at SG. Lou should get at least 16-18mpg there. Where is Swaggy playing?

I think your analysis of Calderon being tied to Swaggy's play is misguided.

I think you're overrating Calderon.
He's a 3rd string PG AT BEST. At least 3 out of the 4 quarters a game DLO or Clarkson should be running PG (if you stagger their minutes appropriately).
Leaving a quarter or less for someone else to get PG minutes.

Calderon is a defensive liability like Lou. Without Lou's offensive punch.
You've said many times, perimeter length and ability to switch defensively is important to a team like GS (and probably Luke as well). Young soaking up some backup SG minutes fits the description better than running Lou solely at the SG position. The dude is 5'11'' after all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
He's a 3rd string PG AT BEST. At least 3 out of the 4 quarters a game DLO or Clarkson should be running PG (if you stagger their minutes appropriately).

You've said many times, perimeter length and ability to switch defensively is important to a team like GS (and probably Luke as well). Young soaking up backup SG minutes fits the description better than running Lou solely at the SG position. The dude is 5'11'' after all.

I see the "PG" rotation as:

DLO
Calderon
JC
Huertas

I don't see Lou playing that.

Again, your theory that Calderon playing less minutes than anticipated does not take into account:

1. Huertas taking the PG minutes from Calderon;
2. IF Lou somehow played PG minutes, Ingram playing some SG minutes b/c of minutes crunch at forward spots.

I don't think the team is going to accommodate Young. If they keep him (to stretch him next season), he will collect DNPs. Salvaging his trade value is illusory at this point. Teams know he's a 31 year old who thinks he's 20.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Can Calderon be traded right now?
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

yes
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

I believe so. But why would we want to at this point?

Huertas' inability to shoot was painful to watch last year.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

You've said many times, perimeter length and ability to switch defensively is important to a team like GS (and probably Luke as well). Young soaking up backup SG minutes fits the description better than running Lou solely at the SG position. The dude is 5'11'' after all.

I see the "PG" rotation as:

DLO
Calderon
JC
Huertas

I don't see Lou playing that.

Again, your theory that Calderon playing less minutes than anticipated does not take into account:

1. Huertas taking the PG minutes from Calderon;
2. IF Lou somehow played PG minutes, Ingram playing some SG minutes b/c of minutes crunch at forward spots.

I don't think the team is going to accommodate Young. If they keep him (to stretch him next season), he will collect DNPs. Salvaging his trade value is illusory at this point. Teams know he's a 31 year old who thinks he's 20.

Fair enough. This whole argument started with me thinking we shouldn't sell low on Young. And I still agree with that.
Let him come to camp. Let him compete for minutes like everyone else.
And if he's the best player to fill certain minutes, give them to him.
That's really the heart of my argument.

My rotation could be tweaked a million ways, it's not an absolute. I mean I didn't even give Yi minutes cause I wanted Randle and Nance to both get 30 MPG. But that probably won't happen until we're out of the playoff race.

Being a projected 20-something win team isn't the best environment for cutting players for non-basketball reasons. Just give the best players minutes to start the season. Off the court crap be damned....unless a player commits a felony or something.

Same applies for all players. Even if it pisses of some fans. Give the best players the minutes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Being a projected 20-something win team isn't the best environment for cutting players for non-basketball reasons. Just give the best players minutes to start the season. Off the court crap be damned....unless a player commits a felony or something.

Having a team full of under-21 year olds and a team that is looking to make a wholesale cultural change is reason enough to end the Swaggy experiment.

He's too toxic to DLO, a player that the Lakers (and even the NBA) are promoting as one of the future cornerstones of the team.

I don't think the Lakers will sacrifice anyone's minutes and opportunities in the hopes that Young's trade value will increase.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
epak wrote:

Clarkson should play backup PG mins. divide 48mins between Russell/Clarkson and 6mins of Huertus
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

For those angry about Moz's deal and using Ezeli as a baseline example:

Quote:
Portland Trail Blazers center Festus Ezeli had his left knee injected with a bone marrow aspirate concentrate and Orthovisc today in Chicago.

The injection, performed by Dr. Brian Cole, is intended to alleviate pain and improve function.

Ezeli will be sidelined for six weeks.

http://www.nba.com/blazers/trail-blazers-center-festus-ezeli-undergoes-injection-left-knee
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Having a team full of under-21 year olds and a team that is looking to make a wholesale cultural change is reason enough to end the Swaggy experiment.

He's too toxic to DLO, a player that the Lakers (and even the NBA) are promoting as one of the future cornerstones of the team.

I don't think the Lakers will sacrifice anyone's minutes and opportunities in the hopes that Young's trade value will increase.

DLO isn't some "babe in the woods."
DLO didn't become the #2 draft pick by being a fickle person who blows with the wind and can be easily manipulated.
Nick Young didn't brainwash him.
DLO made a mistake, and he learned from it. And hopefully Young did too.

No "sacrifice" needs to be made. We are projected to be the worst team in our conference. http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-nba-picks/
Just play the best players possible. If Young doesn't fit the description. Don't play him.
But we literally have nothing to gain (on the court) by cutting Young before we even see what he looks like in training camp.

Besides I think DLO could learn more by turning a bad situation with Young into a good one (by potentially winning games playing/working together). As opposed to shipping off any person that could potentially be a "distraction". This is LA, a town full of distractions.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Eric Pincus Retweeted
Sportando ‏@Sportando 21s21 seconds ago
Blazers Festus Ezeli out six weeks following injection in left knee

yuck
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

DLO isn't some "babe in the woods."
DLO didn't become the #2 draft pick by being a fickle person who blows with the wind and can be easily manipulated.
Nick Young didn't brainwash him.
DLO made a mistake, and he learned from it. And hopefully Young did too.

No "sacrifice" needs to be made. We are projected to be the worst team in our conference. http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-nba-picks/
Just play the best players possible. If Young doesn't fit the description. Don't play him.
But we literally have nothing to gain (on the court) by cutting Young before we even see what he looks in training camp.

LOL, you act as if a then-19 year old wasn't influenced by Young. What are the positive benefits of hanging out with a loser like Swaggy? he's that grown uncle who refuses to believe he's 45 and wants to hit the clubs with his 21 year old nephew.

Again, the Lakers are looking at a culture change. Swaggy doesn't fit into that. He is what he is. And his on-court production was pretty horrible too.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

LOL, you act as if a then-19 year old wasn't influenced by Young. What are the positive benefits of hanging out with a loser like Swaggy? he's that grown uncle who refuses to believe he's 45 and wants to hit the clubs with his 21 year old nephew.

Again, the Lakers are looking at a culture change. Swaggy doesn't fit into that. He is what he is. And his on-court production was pretty horrible too.

Everybody's production was horrible under Scott. There's a reason why Young got the contract he got from us. Because in the right system he contributes.

The personal attacks you're levying at Young are funny to me. You do know there are guys older than Young in the league who party with their team mates, right?
And why would DLO hit up clubs with Young if he's under 21 and can't drink in the first place?
DLO's been putting in that work from what I've seen. He's in the gym. Studying tape.
And I don't think the all powerful, mind-controlling Wizard Nick Young can disrupt DLo's focus to become great.
I think the only person who can stop DLO from becoming great is DLO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Everybody's production was horrible under Scott. There's a reason why Young got the contract he got from us. Because in the right system he contributes.

The personal attacks you're levying at Young are funny to me. You do know there are guys older than Young in the league who party with their team mates, right?
And why would DLO hit up clubs with Young if he's under 21 and can't drink in the first place?
DLO's been putting in that work from what I've seen. He's in the gym. Studying tape.
And I don't think the all powerful, mind-controlling Wizard Nick Young can disrupt DLo's focus to become great.

I don't know if you're purposely being contrarian here for the sake of It, but I think Swaggy's record speaks for itself. It's no wonder why he hasn't been able to amicably stick with a team. His act gets old. Now, how you seem to want to blame DLO is beyond me; that's misplaced angst on your part. But do continue being a contrarian.

If he was the player you seem to think he is, and doesn't have the off the court issues, teams would be willing to take him on as reclamation project. it appears no team seems to agree with you.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
epak wrote:

Clarkson should play backup PG mins. divide 48mins between Russell/Clarkson and 6mins of Huertus

To be honest, Calderon seems like a throw-in to get those 2 draft picks
Not sure how many minutes Jose would play anyhow. If the Olympics were any indication of ability to play, then Huertas has Calderon beat.

Not to mention, if Ingram does get time at the SG spot, JC can have more time to play the 1 spot. Even if Ingram doesn't play the SG, that's 96 minutes split up for Russell, JC, Huertas and Lou. Roughly 30 mins each for DLO and JC = ~60 mins, leaving 36 minutes for Lou and Huertas, and Lou hasnt played less than 23 mins since his 2nd year.

That being said, no point in trading a 1 year rental in Calderon if it means we have to get a mediocre player with a longer contract in return.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

all that talking about how much Nick's talent can help us then you'd only play him 4 mins?

Nick is not worth any mins on this team. Even if the beef is over, there is still a notion of drama, erratic behavior, school boy antics when Nick is around. Pass
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't know if you're purposely being contrarian here for the sake of It, but I think Swaggy's record speaks for itself. It's no wonder why he hasn't been able to amicably stick with a team. His act gets old. Now, how you seem to want to blame DLO is beyond me; that's misplaced angst on your part. But do continue being a contrarian.

If he was the player you seem to think he is, and doesn't have the off the court issues, teams would be willing to take him on as reclamation project. it appears no team seems to agree with you.

Blamed DLO .
I said he made a mistake. As did Young. And I also said I think he can become great and is focused on doing the things that it takes to become great.

I'm not trying to be a contrarian. This applies to everyone on our team.
The best players on the court should play. Unless we're out of the playoff picture and want to focus on giving the young guys more minutes than the vets.
I'm really not trying to be contrarian. I just want to be prudent. I don't want to keep Young long term either. I just want to try to win as many games as possible and get value for him eventually when we trade him.
If it doesn't happen and he doesn't improve his value. The downside is minimal.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

And the FO has seen firsthand what he's done with our young guys. So I trust they will make the right call.

If he's around come game 1, I do expect to see a lot of DNPs from him. If anything, even having him play 4mpg on your rotation is too much. That should be going to Ingram.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2636, 2637, 2638 ... 2682, 2683, 2684  Next
Page 2637 of 2684
Jump to: