OFFICIAL 2016 FREE AGENCY (PINCUS states 2017-18 salary cap falling to $102m; Lakers get Calderon, pg.2432; sign Deng 4 yr/$72M; Mozgov 4 yr/$64M; Tarik Black 2 yr/$12.85M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2644, 2645, 2646 ... 2682, 2683, 2684  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
MJST wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:
via NBA.com
The Utah Jazz announced today that the team has waived guard Kendall Marshall, whose rights were acquired by trade from Philadelphia on Friday.

Would be a great backup 1 in this offense especially.

Dunno why the Bucks stole him from us when we were gonna re-sign him.

Note: We only released his contract to get Boozer off waivers which we didn't think we'd get till it happened, and then we were gonna re-sign Marshall back after the time period passed. Bucks picked him up, never used him, he got hurt and they didn't rehab or anything and just dumped him to the wayside(classy....).

Anyway, Marshall as a backup 1 in this offense would be fantastic. But he'd have to wait till Huertas was gone or Calderon was not here after this year passes.

Marshall would be a disaster in this offense. Can't shoot, can't really penetrate and score, mostly pounds the ball until he finds an open guy for a mediocre shot. Does nothing off ball. An anachronism.

He would be a nice TC fodder. to make guys like Huertas and Calderon work more in practice and during pre season. He's not really that bad he had a lot of good moments here.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Marshall would be a disaster in this offense. Can't shoot, can't really penetrate and score, mostly pounds the ball until he finds an open guy for a mediocre shot. Does nothing off ball. An anachronism.

Isn't that mostly Huertas?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Marshall shot almost 40% from the 3pt line during his 2 seasons in the NBA. He has offensive talent and is more reliable from the 3pt arc then Huertas.

What Omar said about his game might speak true but that doesn't mean he can't help a team.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Marshall shot almost 40% from the 3pt line during his 2 seasons in the NBA. He has offensive talent and is more reliable from the 3pt arc then Huertas.

What Omar said about his game might speak true but that doesn't mean he can't help a team.

Marshall has been in the NBA for only two seasons?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Marshall has been in the NBA for only two seasons?

4 to be precise.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
MJST wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:
via NBA.com
The Utah Jazz announced today that the team has waived guard Kendall Marshall, whose rights were acquired by trade from Philadelphia on Friday.

Note: We only released his contract to get Boozer off waivers which we didn't think we'd get till it happened, and then we were gonna re-sign Marshall back after the time period passed. Bucks picked him up, never used him, he got hurt and they didn't rehab or anything and just dumped him to the wayside(classy....).

Anyway, Marshall as a backup 1 in this offense would be fantastic. But he'd have to wait till Huertas was gone or Calderon was not here after this year passes.

He would be a nice TC fodder. to make guys like Huertas and Calderon work more in practice and during pre season. He's not really that bad he had a lot of good moments here.

Not really
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Lost all respect for Kendall Marshall when he decided to have his hands in his pockets while Nick Young was trying to fight the entire Suns team.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Cousins Expected to Leave Kings in Free Agency?

yes, no, maybe

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/cousins-expected-to-leave-sacramento-in-2018-free-agency/

Not sure why there is a ? after that.

Cousins is bouncing 100% once FA hits. The only way he never hits FA is if he gets traded to a contender that he extends with..

I like our chances at Boogie. He's already very high on our young core and grew up a Laker fan. In the next couple years, our young guy will strut their stuff and guys like Demarcus and PG13 are going to take notice.

To me, that is the new dream:

Cousins/Zu
Nance/Rande
Ingram
George
Russell/Clarkson

unstoppable

How the heck do you think the Lakers can afford max deals for Boogie AND PG13? We'd have to scrounge to have enough for 1 let alone both.

We already have room for one max next season. Punt it with one year contracts, use new amnesty provision on Mozgov, trade Deng with future picks, wait to re-sign Randle. It's really not that difficult if it was what the front office really wanted to do.

That being said, they won't do this because it's short-sighted.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Will a 33 year old Deng with 2y/~36M left on his deal be moveable? Even with draft picks
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
MJST wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:
via NBA.com

He did just fine in this offense before

In fact, he was 2nd in the NBA in assists in this offense.

SO I'd willingly take him as backup 1 if we had the chance to.

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Lost all respect for Kendall Marshall when he decided to have his hands in his pockets while Nick Young was trying to fight the entire Suns team.

He got it all back when he dropped 19/14 on the Celtics right afterwards and hit the game sealing 3.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject:

I'd prefer Marshall over Huertas but Huertas is already on the team and we're deep at pg right now so I don't see a move being made.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
How many players are we away from playoff contention? Does D. Cousins make us a playoff team?

Ehh. Maybe.

I wonder if that is the grand plan right now behind the scenes? See how the team does and if they are within playoff reach, they go all in to acquire Cousins or another star player to put us back on the map. Obviously we aren't gonna give up all the young assets to Sacramento, but we have the flexibility and assets to make it interesting.. i.e. ( Yi's contract)

If we are within playoff reach that means our squad is over achieving and I don't see us trading any of the young guys then.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
How many players are we away from playoff contention? Does D. Cousins make us a playoff team?

Ehh. Maybe.

I wonder if that is the grand plan right now behind the scenes? See how the team does and if they are within playoff reach, they go all in to acquire Cousins or another star player to put us back on the map. Obviously we aren't gonna give up all the young assets to Sacramento, but we have the flexibility and assets to make it interesting.. i.e. ( Yi's contract)

If we are within playoff reach that means our squad is over achieving and I don't see us trading any of the young guys then.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I am continually surprised by the the different viewpoints here. We all have our own perspectives and logic that deserves to be respected but at times I just do not understand others. Likely they do not agree with me either.

It just makes no sense to me that if the Laker's young players are proving the optimism in their development and potential is showing results by being in the playoff hunt scenario.

The next line of reasoning is to quickly trade them away for a continually disgruntled (but talented) headcase?

I am a 180 degrees from that logic. If by some chance the Lakers have overachieved and winning games it proves they are on the right course. Embrace it and keep building on it. Not quickly find a deal for a tarnished new toy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Will a 33 year old Deng with 2y/~36M left on his deal be moveable? Even with draft picks

Depends on what the cap is.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
I'd prefer Marshall over Huertas but Huertas is already on the team and we're deep at pg right now so I don't see a move being made.

Huertas is a pick and roll maestro who will rack up assists in a short amount of time, so there's always a place for him in the NBA. He has the benefit of international experience and you won't find a better PG for that 2nd/3rd string spot.

It's a little surprising the Jazz waived Marshall, but I'm sure there's a legitimate reason why. I doubt the Lakers will be taking look at him unless he turns into a defensive force overnight. P.J. Hairston is someone I'd prioritize over him.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Ehh. Maybe.

I am continually surprised by the the different viewpoints here. We all have our own perspectives and logic that deserves to be respected but at times I just do not understand others. Likely they do not agree with me either.

It just makes no sense to me that if the Laker's young players are proving the optimism in their development and potential is showing results by being in the playoff hunt scenario.

The next line of reasoning is to quickly trade them away for a continually disgruntled (but talented) headcase?

I am a 180 degrees from that logic. If by some chance the Lakers have overachieved and winning games it proves they are on the right course. Embrace it and keep building on it. Not quickly find a deal for a tarnished new toy.

Totally agree man.

And why are we even debating Huertas vs Marshall lol. You can exchange them two if you want it'd barely make any difference so might aswell just not even bother.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Ehh. Maybe.

Totally agree man.

And why are we even debating Huertas vs Marshall lol. You can exchange them two if you want it'd barely make any difference so might aswell just not even bother.

I do not have a problem with that discussion or most others. We are all bored looking for something to discuss. We don't all have to agree on every point or preferred strategy. Sometimes completely different in logic or preference.

The Yi thread is a great example. It seemed we were starved for something new and that thread exploded.

Going back to the Marshall vs Huertas discussion. You may be correct that either would be a viable solution for the 3rd string PG likely getting under 5 mpg unless someone is injured.

I like Huertas. Decent player that will keep the ball moving and make good decisions in practice. By all accounts a likable mature professional player. The young core need that. But if Marshall was replacing him similar comments could be made about him. I'm fine with either at the end of the bench.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

NO!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Has he ever made a team a playoff team?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

He has never helped a team.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject:

I probably would take Marshall over Huertas, but the suggestion that he's played in this offense before is so ignorant it barely deserves comment.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

He's been in the league for only 4 years and has been on bad teams, if you put him in the right envorinment he can contribute to a winning situation.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

He's been in the league for only 4 years and has been on bad teams, if you put him in the right envorinment he can contribute to a winning situation.

He has been on bad teams for a reason, he is a fringe NBA player.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Depends on what the cap is.

Projected at 108M. Not many 2y big salary dumps comes to mind. I could see maybe if he was an exp. contract
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

He was dumped from worst team that needs guard play.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2644, 2645, 2646 ... 2682, 2683, 2684  Next
Page 2645 of 2684
Jump to: