OFFICIAL 2016 FREE AGENCY (PINCUS states 2017-18 salary cap falling to $102m; Lakers get Calderon, pg.2432; sign Deng 4 yr/$72M; Mozgov 4 yr/$64M; Tarik Black 2 yr/$12.85M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2679, 2680, 2681, 2682, 2683, 2684  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Beasley for Ennis reported by Woj

I don't get it, Middleton is a SG and Beasley is a SF at best....maybe even trending toward a PF?

MIL doesn't give 2 craps about traditional positions. Even now, I don't know if they consider Antetokoumpo a PG or SF. Won't be surprised if they run Thon at the 4 since they have Monroe and Plumlee. I think they're just gonna find 5 man lineups they're comfortable with, even if it makes no sense in terms of traditional positions.
They like to double and blitz the P&R ball handler.
With their length with MCW, Greak Freak, and Thon Maker. That strategy could be devastating to opposing teams.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

I don't get it, Middleton is a SG and Beasley is a SF at best....maybe even trending toward a PF?

MIL doesn't give 2 craps about traditional positions. Even now, I don't know if they consider Antetokoumpo a PG or SF. Won't be surprised if they run Thon at the 4 since they have Monroe and Plumlee. I think they're just gonna find 5 man lineups they're comfortable with, even if it makes no sense in terms of traditional positions.
With their length with MCW, Greak Freak, and Thon Maker. That strategy could be devastating to opposing teams.

that is a fair point....maybe it would be ok on offense.....but Middleton can play defense, and Beasley simply don't....so not sure how that works out.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what motivated Milwaukee to get Beasley considering, they had to deal with OJ Mayo and his problems off the court.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject:

With Houston getting Ennis, would Houston do Young/2nd round pick for Beverly?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Yeah Mil is IMO building the next wave of modern ball-- huge line ups who can do it it... small ball is now contemporary.

Henson
Maker
Parker
Middleton
Giannis

Once they are healthy, that is quite the interesting lineup and concept. all 6'8 and over.

Think we're about 10 years away from that being a concept that other teams employ, but as guards get bigger and moth athletic and bigs become more skilled and mobile..

For now, I think with how interchangeable they are on the wing, I think Beasley does enough to allow them to run their normal schemes.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I wouldn't trade Beverly if I was Houston. Hes a perfect PG compliment to Harden. Doesn't need ball in his hands to be effective and is an improved spot up 3 pt shooter. Rockets are trying to build a culture similar to the Lakers and I don't think Beasley fit within that plan.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Yeah Mil is IMO building the next wave of modern ball-- huge line ups who can do it it... small ball is now contemporary.

Henson
Maker
Parker
Middleton
Giannis

Once they are healthy, that is quite the interesting lineup and concept. all 6'8 and over.

Think we're about 10 years away from that being a concept that other teams employ, but as guards get bigger and moth athletic and bigs become more skilled and mobile..

For now, I think with how interchangeable they are on the wing, I think Beasley does enough to allow them to run their normal schemes.

Unless modern day bigs can post up very effectively there is no significant advantage to having a big lineup because they can't utilize their height in any significant way. There are advantages for going small as with going big but I don't see going big as being much more advantageous.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I wouldn't trade Beverly if I was Houston. Hes a perfect PG compliment to Harden. Doesn't need ball in his hands to be effective and is an improved spot up 3 pt shooter. Rockets are trying to build a culture similar to the Lakers and I don't think Beasley fit within that plan.

Young is better offensively then Beverly, I'm hoping MDAs obsession with Offense gives the Lakers a chance to get him.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
2019 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Henson
Maker
Parker
Middleton
Giannis

Unless modern day bigs can post up very effectively there is no significant advantage to having a big lineup because they can't utilize their height in any significant way. There are advantages for going small as with going big but I don't see going big as being much more advantageous.

In general I agree.
But MIL is a special case. They have 2 guys on their roster who have the potential to shut down a pick and roll single handedly (Greak Freak, Thon). And 2 other solid pick and roll defenders in MCW and Henson. Their size is so ridiculous, they should dominate the boards. If Thon can stretch the floor out to the 3 point line. The drawbacks on offense aren't as severe either.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Minnesota might be the biggest roster I've EVER seen.

Towns, Dieng, Pekovic, Aldrich, Hill, Payne, Bjelica, and Garnett (expected to be bought out).

That's (bleep) ing madness. 8 players 6'10'' or taller.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I would rather have Ennis.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Towns, Dieng, Pekovic, Aldrich, Hill, Payne, Bjelica, and Garnett (expected to be bought out).

Today's NBA is a small centers league, not sure Minnesota has any real advantage.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I would rather have Ennis.

Morey did a good job of turning a mid season free agent signing from last season into a fringe prospect.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
2019 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Henson
Maker
Parker
Middleton
Giannis

In general I agree.
But MIL is a special case. They have 2 guys on their roster who have the potential to shut down a pick and roll single handedly (Greak Freak, Thon). And 2 other solid pick and roll defenders in MCW and Henson. Their size is so ridiculous, they should dominate the boards. If Thon can stretch the floor out to the 3 point line. The drawbacks on offense aren't as severe either.

They have advantage on boards but small teams have them in a few areas as well. Parker is not a good defender and henson is constantly injured. Thon needs to be able to hit the 3 consistently as well as greek freak or else packing the paint is all teams need to do (and is actually what most teams did resulting in not even making the Playoffs in the weak east).

I am interested in seeing an all big lineup though because I've been pondering about it myself. I just have a hard time seeing it workout unless all the bigs were Brandon ingram/kd/ anthony davis types. Bigs with guard like skills with inside+outside shooting ability, and defensive versatility
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Today's NBA is a small centers league, not sure Minnesota has any real advantage.

I don't think they do. Just surprised by the sheer size on their roster. Been calling MIN out for years for hoarding big men (for no apparent reason).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Clippers have increased their training camp roster count to 17 players, according to Dan Woike of The Orange County Register, who reports (via Twitter) that the team is bringing in Dorell Wright and Xavier Munford
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
The Clippers have increased their training camp roster count to 17 players, according to Dan Woike of The Orange County Register, who reports (via Twitter) that the team is bringing in Dorell Wright and Xavier Munford

Dorell Wright has a chance to make the roster, The Clipps are pretty thin at SF.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

Holy shiet 2.0 might have been right about Rudy Gay??
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

Not sure how credible this is but

Quote:
According to the latest NBA rumors, the Los Angeles Lakers could offer Nick Young and Lou Williams to acquire Gay from the Kings.

Link
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
Not sure how credible this is but

Quote:
According to the latest NBA rumors, the Los Angeles Lakers could offer Nick Young and Lou Williams to acquire Gay from the Kings.

Link

Speculation and rumor are two different things. One day the writer of that article might learn the difference.
farzadkavari
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:

http://en.yibada.com/articles/162066/20160922/nba-trade-rumors-lakers-trading-nick-young-lou-williams-rudy.htm

Rumor has it, Rudy Gay to Lakers for Williams+Young.
farzadkavari
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Also saw this from earlier today.

According to Inquisitr, the blockbuster trade between Kings, Nuggets and Lakers involves seven players. The seven players include DeMarcus Cousins, Rudy Gay, Wilson Chandler, Julius Randle, Lou Williams, Jose Calderon and Nick Young.

Reports have it that Kings center DeMarcus Cousins and Nuggets small forward Wilson Chandler will join Los Angeles Lakers. Meanwhile, Lakers' power forward Julius Randle, shooting guard Lou Williams and Nick Young, and point guard Jose Calderon will still be a team but this time, all will play for Kings.

The report added that Los Angeles Lakers will also send their first round-draft pick next year to Sacramento Kings. As for the Nuggets, they will receive Kings' small forward Rudy Gay and Lakers' second-round draft choice.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject:

farzadkavari wrote:
http://en.yibada.com/articles/162066/20160922/nba-trade-rumors-lakers-trading-nick-young-lou-williams-rudy.htm

YES PLEASE!

Usually I wouldn't want Gay but for a useless bad locker room player and a guard who both makes a team worse with his USG%, chucking away terrible shots and zero defense, I would take this deal in a heartbeat.
farzadkavari
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
farzadkavari wrote:

YES PLEASE!

Usually I wouldn't want Gay but for a useless bad locker room player and a guard who both makes a team worse with his USG%, chucking away terrible shots and zero defense, I would take this deal in a heartbeat.

I agree, let's hope Mitch pulls the trigger.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

farzadkavari wrote:
Also saw this from earlier today.

According to Inquisitr, the blockbuster trade between Kings, Nuggets and Lakers involves seven players. The seven players include DeMarcus Cousins, Rudy Gay, Wilson Chandler, Julius Randle, Lou Williams, Jose Calderon and Nick Young.

Reports have it that Kings center DeMarcus Cousins and Nuggets small forward Wilson Chandler will join Los Angeles Lakers. Meanwhile, Lakers' power forward Julius Randle, shooting guard Lou Williams and Nick Young, and point guard Jose Calderon will still be a team but this time, all will play for Kings.

The report added that Los Angeles Lakers will also send their first round-draft pick next year to Sacramento Kings. As for the Nuggets, they will receive Kings' small forward Rudy Gay and Lakers' second-round draft choice.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2679, 2680, 2681, 2682, 2683, 2684  Next
Page 2680 of 2684
Jump to: