OFFICIAL 2016 FREE AGENCY (PINCUS states 2017-18 salary cap falling to $102m; Lakers get Calderon, pg.2432; sign Deng 4 yr/$72M; Mozgov 4 yr/$64M; Tarik Black 2 yr/$12.85M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 2682, 2683, 2684  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Rather roll with clarkson than derozan. Both scoring guards with shaky outside shooting. Clarkson is younger and cheaper.

clarkson was rookie and his work ethic this summer has been phenomenal. i trust him more then a chucker in DRozan.

I think him being from LA is being overblown here. Ariza is from LA and was coming off a championship run and we replaced him with Artest.

so it doesnt matter where he is from what matters more is what can he do on court.

i see them giving Clarkson his contract and getting hibbert at @18-20mil. then putting placeholders contracts(lin/hibbert type) so we have 2 max in 2017
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject:

^ Dee-fence.
THE_DAGGER
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject:

After Durant it's pretty much whatever in terms of the rest.

I think I just might just go with Derozan if we strike out on Durant and if this is really Kobe's last year when you factor some things.

Horford would be great if Randle doesn't pan out. But, if Randle does pan out it becomes redundant. I'm not interested in him at 30 playing the undersized center role that he has been in Atlanta.

Batum has all the talent and the skill to break out, but has also had all the opportunity to do so and hasn't. How much longer can you say this is the year he steps up at 26, 27 in December?

Parsons makes exponentially more but performed incrementally worse than he did in Houston. He had a knee injury that lingered way longer than expected and he ended up having surgery for it.

Derozan has gotten better every year except last where he took a slight dip. I just think he's maximized his potential. He's gotten to the point of diminishing returns on his talent and skills. They're asking him to do too much. They're asking him to be a 1st, 2nd option when he only has the ability to be a solid 3rd option, borderline 2nd option.

I think if you ask him to be an 18 4 and 4 guy he can do it no problem.

Take the scoring load off him and he can focus on playing better defense.

His 3 point percentage can get better. From what I've seen over the summer the way he shoots it looks better.

He can consistently score one on one. You can't say that about the rest of the free agents after Durant.

I think him being from LA is more of a buying point for him than a selling point for us.

Look at the trend of free agents. They all want to be close to home. We might be able to benefit from this for once.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject:

If Clarkson is going to be a contender for MIP I can see 18-20m a year for him.
We really need to prove that we can win as many games as we could.
Winning 40+ games could lure better free agents.
Last season's Bucks won 41 games, and they got Monroe.
Miami Heat finished the 09-10 season at 47 wins, and they've got LeBron for 4 years.

Yeah, fighting for Durant is going to be hard.
Last year's Raptors had a 49-33 record.
Wizards had a 46-36 record.
I know it's the Eastern Conference, but it's the winning numbers that matter for big name free agents.
Besides that, the free agents are going to see if they can fill the hole for that team.

Raptors already has a good SF.
Wizards have Otto Porter but I don't think he's good enough, Durant knows Wizards have that position to fill and the Wizards are going to be one of the front runners for Durant with 40+ wins, weak at SF and home to Durant.

Compare to the Lakers, it's hard to see the Lakers winning 40+ games this season. Yeah we got the SF hole to fill. Los Angeles is far from home for Durant.

If it's me I'm going to run for Paul George. 45+ wins should be realistic at 2018, assume we still have the SF hole to fill, and LA is also home for PG, and by 2018 we have prime Russell, Clarkson and Randle.
Lakers 2019 NBA Champions.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject:

I say nest offseason we should pursue Chandler Parsons, Donte Montejunas, and Shane Larkin. Young guys to build a foundation.

Clarkson - Larkin
Russell - Lou - Frazier
Parsons - Young - Brown
Randle - Nance
Hibbert - Montejunas - Upshaw

If anything try and trade Young
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject:

Can we trade Young for Shumpert?
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject:

yuurin98 wrote:
Can we trade Young for Shumpert?

Why would they give him 10mil/yr extension if they wanted to trade him for no defense chucker?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject:

I would like to go after a few GSW players next season. Harrison Barnes but most likely they match him. How about Livingston? I really like his versatility to play 3 positions and defend same. Would be an excellent backup combo guard.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
I say nest offseason we should pursue Chandler Parsons, Donte Montejunas, and Shane Larkin. Young guys to build a foundation.

Clarkson - Larkin
Russell - Lou - Frazier
Parsons - Young - Brown
Randle - Nance

Russell is our PG, Clarkson our SG
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I would like to go after a few GSW players next season. Harrison Barnes but most likely they match him. How about Livingston? I really like his versatility to play 3 positions and defend same. Would be an excellent backup combo guard.

the player i want is Festus Ezili

they have to pay barnes around max next summer.

then following summer they have to pay Bogut, Iggy and Steph Curry.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

Clarkson - Larkin
Russell - Lou - Frazier
Parsons - Young - Brown
Randle - Nance

Russell is our PG, Clarkson our SG

inter changable
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I used to want Brandon Rush but he fell off after his injury. But yes, I wouldn't mind going shopping in the GSW bargain bin lol

Last edited by 22 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject:

Kind of underwhelming my choices if we strike out on the big names; I think their both on expiring's, but I like P.J. Tucker and Gerald Henderson. Tough, hard-nosed defenders, not completely liabilities on offense, and can guard multiple positions.

Edit. Phoenix has a TO on Tucker next year...
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Kind of underwhelming my choices if we strike out on the big names; I think their both on expiring's, but I like P.J. Tucker and Gerald Henderson. Tough, hard-nosed defenders, not completely liabilities on offense, and can guard multiple positions.

both are players with no upside.
i would prefer to give mins to A Brown/ Lance and even randle at the 3 before those 2
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The reason I like Livingston is that Warriors will be cash strapped, and Livingston helps us have some big-time flexibility at the G/SF position with him. He plays under control and I love his defense.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

both are players with no upside.
i would prefer to give mins to A Brown/ Lance and even randle at the 3 before those 2

You could be right. Frazier could turn out to be something as well. However, I'd still take a veteran presence and know what I'm going to get out of him especially if the increasing pressure to win and make the PO's is on the FO's agenda.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The reason I like Livingston is that Warriors will be cash strapped, and Livingston helps us have some big-time flexibility at the G/SF position with him. He plays under control and I love his defense.

Livingston would be a quality pick up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject:

So Westbrook gets married in LA...2017...

Congrats to them. Seem to bleed LA. Not sure they settle in OKC to be honest.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So Westbrook gets married in LA...2017...

Congrats to them. Seem to bleed LA. Not sure they settle in OKC to be honest.

he can be our 6th man
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

sure not disagreeing about livingston at all.

i think Festus has great potential and can be had.

livingston has non guaranteed contract and GSW will pick it up and have him cheap for 5.7

if they pick up J Thompson they will be at 92mil with cap at 90mil without barnes.

in 2017 they have 3 extensions looming. curry will go from 12 to max in 25. then they have to pay bogut and barnes. both will be looking for last major contract.

if hibbert doesnt workout we can get young festus
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

sure not disagreeing about livingston at all.

i think Festus has great potential and can be had.

livingston has non guaranteed contract and GSW will pick it up and have him cheap for 5.7

if they pick up J Thompson they will be at 92mil with cap at 90mil without barnes.

in 2017 they have 3 extensions looming. curry will go from 12 to max in 25. then they have to pay bogut and barnes. both will be looking for last major contract.

if hibbert doesnt workout we can get young festus

Oh, Livingston has a team option in 2016? Didn't know that.

Festus is interesting. If I'm the Lakers, assuming Durant (and Horford) go elsewhere, I try to test the pressure points on teams like the Warriors and other RFAs since we will have 2 max spots to use and we can still conduct business while we wait.

In my original post I think my "realistic" 2016 pick-ups were: Batum, Hibbert, Livingston, Clarkson, and re-upping Bass.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Oh, Livingston has a team option in 2016? Didn't know that.

Festus is interesting. If I'm the Lakers, assuming Durant (and Horford) go elsewhere, I try to test the pressure points on teams like the Warriors and other RFAs since we will have 2 max spots to use and we can still conduct business while we wait.

In my original post I think my "realistic" 2016 pick-ups were: Batum, Hibbert, Livingston, Clarkson, and re-upping Bass.

Eric Pincus says its Non-Guaranteed

I want to see how Randle plays this yr before going after Horford and if horford can stay healthy all yr long.

They traded for splitter and got Tavares so Horford can play 4. ATL will also have 1 max contract to offer after signing Horford to a max
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

I think Hibbert would take a paycut to stay a Laker, that's just a hunch. I could see him taking less than 20m to stay (assuming he plays reasonably well).

That would give us some room to play around with.

Yeah, seems Livingston has a non-guaranteed slot, but they'll also have to pay Barnes and Ezili. Not sure they would want to pay nearly 6m for a backup PG.

But with 2 max slots, we can be opportunistic in 2016 free agency. Even use 20m slot to do another Hibbert sort of placeholder deal, and there may be some player or two who would be willing to get a large 1 year deal to hit another possible cap rise in 2017.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Hibbert would take a paycut to stay a Laker, that's just a hunch. I could see him taking less than 20m to stay (assuming he plays reasonably well).

Yeah, seems Livingston has a non-guaranteed slot, but they'll also have to pay Barnes and Ezili. Not sure they would want to pay nearly 6m for a backup PG.

But with 2 max slots, we can be opportunistic in 2016 free agency. Even use 20m slot to do another Hibbert sort of placeholder deal, and there may be some player or two who would be willing to get a large 1 year deal to hit another possible cap rise in 2017.

I've been trying to put a value to Hibbert, and I think in the current cap situation, he's overpaid a bit. I'm guessing that on the open market he would have been a 10-12 mil guy (reason he opted in), with the range based on risk of him staying regressed. If he puts it together this year, I put him around 13-14 million in current dollars, so in theory, he should be a 16-18 mil guy. That could go a bit either way depending upon demand.

I could see him with a deal starting pretty near where he is.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I've been trying to put a value to Hibbert, and I think in the current cap situation, he's overpaid a bit. I'm guessing that on the open market he would have been a 10-12 mil guy (reason he opted in), with the range based on risk of him staying regressed. If he puts it together this year, I put him around 13-14 million in current dollars, so in theory, he should be a 16-18 mil guy. That could go a bit either way depending upon demand.

I could see him with a deal starting pretty near where he is.

Agreed. Just based on some of his interviews (the most illuminating one was one he had on Doug Gottlieb's show), he sounds like he REALLY wants to stay as a Laker. For the first time in his career he planned to move his training to LA during the summer as opposed to Indy. I think he will find every way to stay in LA, even if it means taking a hometown discount to stay here.

At 16-18m, assuming he plays reasonably well, would be a good deal. Assuming Batum is in the 20m+ range, you still have a big range of money to either throw at a RFA, and/or give to multiple role players or in the form of a large one year expiring chunk so we can pursue better FAs in 2017.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 2682, 2683, 2684  Next
Page 29 of 2684
Jump to: