911 dispatcher hangs up on caller.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: 911 dispatcher hangs up on caller.

'Deal with it yourself': Dispatcher hung up on woman giving first aid to shooting victim

LINK

When I read this article I found it difficult to believe.
Quote:
"Okay, do you know what ma'am? You can deal with yourself. I'm not going to deal with this, okay?"
This dispatcher should lose his job and if there's a precedent be charged with a crime.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

That totally sucks, was an ambulance sent? I know a lot of times they stay on the line to provide instruction while they've already sent the ambulance en route. Hopefully she didn't have to call back.

No need to swear at the dispatcher, but she's obviously just upset. I wonder how often people do that
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
That totally sucks, was an ambulance sent? I know a lot of times they stay on the line to provide instruction while they've already sent the ambulance en route. Hopefully she didn't have to call back.

No need to swear at the dispatcher, but she's obviously just upset. I wonder how often people do that

From what I read he sent the ambulance by proper procedure...

Dude still died and his friend is potentially forever scarred and confused by the total lack of compassion the 911 caller showed her.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 911 dispatcher hangs up on caller.

jodeke wrote:
'Deal with it yourself': Dispatcher hung up on woman giving first aid to shooting victim

LINK

Quote:
"Okay, do you know what ma'am? You can deal with yourself. I'm not going to deal with this, okay?"
This dispatcher should lose his job and if there's a precedent be charged with a crime.

This is unfortunate, but I don't think you have anywhere near the amount of information necessary to draw those conclusions. There was way more to that recording than what was in the video. I'd want to hear that first.

Also, what would the crime be? Are dispatchers required to stay on the line until the other person hangs up first or ... I'm just not sure which law was broken if one at all.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Whether it was a crime or not, I think we can all agree that the dispatcher is a scumbag.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Whether it was a crime or not, I think we can all agree that the dispatcher is a scumbag.

Yeah, a jerk indeed.

But contributed to the victim's death? Yeah, I don't buy it.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Yeah, a jerk indeed.

He was trained in how to stop or restrict the bleeding etc. Fireman for 37 years iirc.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Yeah, a jerk indeed.

He was trained in how to stop or restrict the bleeding etc. Fireman for 37 years iirc.

He called for the ambulance. It's not like he refused to do it. He was just a jerk on the phone (a big jerk).

Just the media trying to be dramatic again.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject:

gotta admit when I read the title only I chuckled a bit
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 911 dispatcher hangs up on caller.

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

This is unfortunate, but I don't think you have anywhere near the amount of information necessary to draw those conclusions. There was way more to that recording than what was in the video. I'd want to hear that first.

Also, what would the crime be? Are dispatchers required to stay on the line until the other person hangs up first or ... I'm just not sure which law was broken if one at all.

You're either a contrarian or you have trouble interpreting my post.

The way he handled the call was unprofessional. It got him taken off the assignment. It may cost him his job or at the least be retrained.

I think a person in that position who can't handle the stress of profanity should lose his job.

I said if there was a precedent. Did you miss or ignore that?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject:

hahaha administrative leave?!! lol. How about fire his ass and press charges!!!!

Man only in government jobs.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 911 dispatcher hangs up on caller.

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

The way he handled the call was unprofessional. It got him taken off the assignment. It may cost him his job.

I think a person in that position who can't handle the stress of profanity should lose his job.

you nailed in. He's a contrarian. He would defend Hitler if he could.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Kobeskillz wrote:
hahaha administrative leave?!! lol. How about fire his ass and press charges!!!!

If he's not terminated he should not be allowed to sit the 911 dispatcher position.

If he again sits the chair he must have completed a rigorous retraining program. IMHO

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 911 dispatcher hangs up on caller.

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

The way he handled the call was unprofessional. It got him taken off the assignment. It may cost him his job or at the least be retrained.

Ok, but what if he had a family? Are you not thinking about his family?

I'm just saying I would need more information, as in a full investigation before I drew any conclusions. There is conversation that wasn't offered in the video link you provided. I'd want to know what was said, or wasn't said there. That's all I'm saying.

I didn't say you were wrong man, I just said, I would want to have the entire recording, not just the part where he hung up before I made any significant decisions.

Making decisions and judgment calls can be very dangerous and misleading.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:

If he's not terminated he should not be allowed to sit the 911 dispatcher position.

If he again sits the chair he must have completed a rigorous retraining program. IMHO

When it comes to these crucial positions I believe is one strike and your out. Peoples lives depend on someone that is calm and can help.

Who knows man if another trained and calm operator would have been on the line maybe something could have been done.

He should have been terminated on the spot.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 911 dispatcher hangs up on caller.

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

I'm just saying I would need more information, as in a full investigation before I drew any conclusions. There is conversation that wasn't offered in the video link you provided. I'd want to know what was said, or wasn't said there. That's all I'm saying.

I didn't say you were wrong man, I just said, I would want to have the entire recording, not just the part where he hung up before I made any significant decisions.

hahaha are you implying he shouldn't lose his job because he might have a family? lol. wow.

Everyone has family and that doesn't stop anyone from firing you if you are bad at your job or if you mess up.

This guy might cost a life if he hasn't already. Him possibly having a family means nothing. He should have been fired on the spot.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 911 dispatcher hangs up on caller.

Kobeskillz wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

hahaha are you implying he shouldn't lose his job because he might have a family? lol. wow.

Everyone has family and that doesn't stop anyone from firing you if you are bad at your job or if you mess up.

This guy might cost a life if he hasn't already. Him possibly having a family means nothing. He should have been fired on the spot.

Haha, no, I was teasing jodeke. Remember the NYPD cop who berated the taxi driver and made all these offensive comments to him? Anyway, most people were of the opinion he should lose his job but jodeke was holding firm that he shouldn't be because of his family (despite the fact whether he even had a family was in question). Pretty much everyone was saying what you just said in response to me. =)

Anyway, I would just like to see the whole tape before any actions were handed down but seeing the portion of it that we saw, doesn't look very good for the 911 operator for sure.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:

A wise man once said:

Quote:
You know, dude, you might want to reconsider what your life purpose is. Maybe it's not this.

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 911 dispatcher hangs up on caller.

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

As far as criminal charges, I could only see that if his actions directly lead to a preventable death, which I din't think you could prove in this case.

But aside from that, it doesn't matter what "else" was in the recording. As a 911 operator you do not intentionally hangup on anything that even remotely resembles an emergency call - even if the person you are dealing with is rude or difficult. It's your job to stay on the line, keep the flow of information going and try as best you can to keep the caller calm and try to guide them through any instructions you may need them to carry out.

What this guy did is wholly unacceptable. Of course it would be appropriate for him to be fired if he had not resigned.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 911 dispatcher hangs up on caller.

Kobeskillz wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

He's painted himself into a corner and is using a post from awhile ago to deflect the weakness of his position.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 911 dispatcher hangs up on caller.

Kobeskillz wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

He's being facetious, using a past post debate to deflect attention from his weak position. Nice try RF. Still doesn't shore up you weak position.

Hanging up on a person in distress is a fire-able offense. I don't need to hear any more.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 911 dispatcher hangs up on caller.

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

As far as criminal charges, I could only see that if his actions directly lead to a preventable death, which I din't think you could prove in this case.

But aside from that, it doesn't matter what "else" was in the recording. As a 911 operator you do not intentionally hangup on anything that even remotely resembles an emergency call - even if the person you are dealing with is rude or difficult. It's your job to stay on the line, keep the flow of information going and try as best you can to keep the caller calm and try to guide them through any instructions you may need them to carry out.

What this guy did is wholly unacceptable. Of course it would be appropriate for him to be fired if he had not resigned.

I wonder if he resigned to save a pention? Is 10 years on the job enough to get some portion of a pention?

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Kobeskillz wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:

When it comes to these crucial positions I believe is one strike and your out. Peoples lives depend on someone that is calm and can help.

Who knows man if another trained and calm operator would have been on the line maybe something could have been done.

Agreed, no way you can trust a person like that. Even the slightest hope to help that person stop the bleeding beng intentionally ended is letting a person die.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:

Agreed, no way you can trust a person like that. Even the slightest hope to help that person stop the bleeding beng intentionally ended is letting a person die.

ringfinger disagrees. He needs more information.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:

ringfinger disagrees. He needs more information.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the rest of the recording warranted that. I'm simply saying the video only showed an excerpt. Doesn't excuse his actions, but that extra info might provide context. Wonder why they didn't include more of the call.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: