Team health needs to be a Laker priority

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Team health needs to be a Laker priority

One of the major factors in a NBA team becoming a dynasty is team health. I enjoy discussing the future success of the Lakers in this forum. I hope the NBA leadership and Laker front office improve in the next few years. The past few seasons have been horrific for the Lakers. Recently Gary Vitti was interviewed about the team health collapse. I was thinking a cool metric to track across the league would be player health. This can't always be controlled but organizations do influence player health. I figure the training facility in El Segundo and new training staff replacing Vitti will be crucial. Let's face it if the team had an ABC grade on health it would be a failing mark. The NBA get poor ratings and lose fans with mounting player injuries. I wish there was a team injury power ranking across the league maybe that's what the new NBA committee will create?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238672/NBA-Forms-Committee-To-Promote-Player-Health-Research
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject:

Yeah. Let's buy out the PHX staff. Those guys do wonders!
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:

I agree. The Lakers in particular need to figure out why so many of their players were getting injured. Is it Tim's dietary advice to skimp out on carbs? Ketosis (fat burning) isn't the body's preferred state.

Is the training staff simply overworking the players and not allowing adequate rest and recovery time? After reading that post about some patient being misdiagnosed at the facility, I really do question the competency of the training and medical staff.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

Age seems to be the most important factor in team injuries. Last year was mainly Kobe, and he has almost 20 years in the league.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

i have not seen 1 team whose priority is not to be healthy.

this is 1 thing we cant do anything about it.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

Maybe they need better shoes.
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject:

How about a little credit to Adam Silver here... What a smart move. Figure out the holes and attempt to plug them. Keeping players on the floor (especially the stars) will increase revenue and make them game better for fans. I don't agree with everything Silver has done or wants to do, but overall the guy has done a very good job. I can't recall a commissioner who's come into his sport and has not afraid to put anything and everything on the table for discussion and possible action. The guy is clearly forward thinking...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject:

I must have missed something, what move did Silver make?
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

According to the link, he put together a committee to promote player health. A simple move, yes, but if they can get some data on when, where, how, and why players are being injured, this could improve the quality of the game.

For the record, I'm not naïve, this could be much-ado-about-nothing, but on the off-chance it does achieve some results, I'm giving Silver praise for the exploration. The NFL reacts to issues like concussions, Silver is looking ahead, and credit where credit's due...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking...!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject:

irielight wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

According to the link, he put together a committee to promote player health. A simple move, yes, but if they can get some data on when, where, how, and why players are being injured, this could improve the quality of the game.

For the record, I'm not naïve, this could be much-ado-about-nothing, but on the off-chance it does achieve some results, I'm giving Silver praise for the exploration. The NFL reacts to issues like concussions, Silver is looking ahead, and credit where credit's due...

There is nothing wrong with looking, no matter if it results in something that can help or not.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

Actually to some extent sports franchise can do something about this, which is to maintain a successful balance between superior conditioning and keeping players rested when needed.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
etmo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Actually to some extent sports franchise can do something about this, which is to maintain a successful balance between superior conditioning and keeping players rested when needed.

I agree, a team can do a great deal to keep their players healthy. A big thing the team can do is NOT play their guys 40+ minutes a night for 80 games. Tired athletes are far more prone to injuries -- a quick Google will find you a dozen studies showing this.

Since nobody is going to support fewer games in a season, resting players, a la the Spurs, is the only option for tired players. I think what the Spurs do in terms of resting their guys will become accepted across the league, and all teams will do it.

Rest is critical for players of all ages. You don't want to run Russell or Randle into the ground because they're young, and their bodies are still maturing. You don't want to overtax Kobe, who is hanging on with duct tape and German mysto-treatments.

As a fan, I totally get if some star takes some nights off during the regular season. I wouldn't be upset at all, and what's more, I'd consider any organization that didn't do it, when their players needed it, to be stupid and reckless with the long-term health of their players.

Supposedly Silver has extended the length of the regular season to eliminate some of the more egregious consecutive game situations this year. A step in the right direction, but still not enough, imo. That leaves taking some nights off as the only option for many players wishing to maximize their productivity and careers.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject:

I think the investment in a new training facility and new staff is crucial. All our new talent and coaches are at a disadvantage without better infrastructure. Here is the coolest trying facility I've seen in sports recently on the west coast.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DV4oeYIDNLk

Our El Segundo gym and front office are really sad at the moment. Glad our cheap front office is trying to improve. http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/20150415/los-angeles-lakers-granted-approval-for-80-million-training-facility-in-el-segundo
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject:

Player health always a factor, but no more this year than any other, perhaps less actually. Cleveland's results last season suggests that even key health deficits can make small differences, even if also key differences. They made the Finals with only one of three All-NBA roster faces active and with ten guys named Joe. Of course, the difference with the Lakers is we just have the ten guys named Joe until proven otherwise.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject:

We had a conditioning coach that works for Toronto now? Why did jim buss fire him? It seems like our injuries pile up year after year without someone like him
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

not true, the current staff is way too comfortable while witnessing the most injury ridden teams in each of last few years. it's not age factor, we've seen young guys went down as soon as they put on a Laker jersey (andrew bynum, xavier henry and julius randle come to mind). the current staff should be held accountable going forward for any misdiagnosis and neglects. Vitti's retirement can't come any sooner, just fire him now.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

not true, the current staff is way too comfortable while witnessing the most injury ridden teams in each of last few years. it's not age factor, we've seen young guys went down as soon as they put on a Laker jersey (andrew bynum, xavier henry and julius randle come to mind). the current staff should be held accountable going forward for any misdiagnosis and neglects. Vitti's retirement can't come any sooner, just fire him now.

Fill us in on this "casualness", and be specific.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

we haven't seen any personnel changes since the injury bug started a few years back. and with the recent report of Randle complained to Vitti about a lump in his knee and Vitti's reply was go out and play, either the staff is too complacent or arrogant. they probably feel like some rich family's long time family doctor, they can't do anything wrong because of the longevity they serve that family.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
70sdude wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

we haven't seen any personnel changes since the injury bug started a few years back. and with the recent report of Randle complained to Vitti about a lump in his knee and Vitti's reply was go out and play, either the staff is too complacent or arrogant. they probably feel like some rich family's long time family doctor, they can't do anything wrong because of the longevity they serve that family.

OK, this is all just blather, your assumption and supposition. There's nothing cited, nothing specific that you can actually point to and say yes, this was cause and this is the effect. Even the Randle knee lump is unrelated to his broken leg, unless you want to make that case.

It's equally possible - more likely even to me - that the GM and owner have simply acquired players who are more susceptible to injury on average, mixed with some who don't take care of themselves to the extent that top level players do.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
70sdude wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

OK, this is all just blather, your assumption and supposition. There's nothing cited, nothing specific that you can actually point to and say yes, this was cause and this is the effect. Even the Randle knee lump is unrelated to his broken leg, unless you want to make that case.

It's equally possible - more likely even to me - that the GM and owner have simply acquired players who are more susceptible to injury on average, mixed with some who don't take care of themselves to the extent that top level players do.

not sure why is everyone defending the current training staff. it should be result driven. if the sales is down in a company, head of the sales will get fired even though he/she may not directly contributes to the poor sales number. there's NOTHING WRONG asking for Laker training team to take responsibility, but when questioning them, Garry Vitti's answer on record was "it was due to MDA's fast pace system", even though the mid 2000's Suns team has never had any notable injury ridden seasons when they were playing at their highest pace.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject:

1) vitti retiring is. Step in right direction
2)do not let any player wear Adidas at any cost
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject:

We've had more injuries in the 3 years than any other team in the league and yet no changes were made to the training/medical staff. The team should be pouring as much as money as it takes to get a top notch injury prevention team for our players. What good is having a talented roster if they're never healthy enough to play together?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
We've had more injuries in the 3 years than any other team in the league and yet no changes were made to the training/medical staff. The team should be pouring as much as money as it takes to get a top notch injury prevention team for our players. What good is having a talented roster if they're never healthy enough to play together?

Buss family is to blame here. they're still clinging on royalty while the staff has totally underperformed compare to rest of the league.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: