Seattle CEO who set firm's minimum wage to $70G says he has hit hard times
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Seattle CEO who set firm's minimum wage to $70G says he has hit hard times

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/01/seattle-ceo-who-set-firm-minimum-wage-to-70g-rents-house-to-make-ends-meet/?intcmp=hpbt4

Its an interesting read. He meant well, but now it could doom his company. One big thing was he was giving people who didn't deserve that salary big raises, alienating people who did. A guy with a Masters degree and a big school debt will feel pissed getting paid same as a Janitor without a HS diploma.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Not really a big... or even small surprise.

It's great to have a big heart. It's great to want to do nice things. But some people, like this guy, are too myopic in how they address problems.

He should have just given all his employees an incredibly huge bonus. They would have all felt happy and appreciated and he would have avoided some of the mess he's in.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

Actually his biggest issue is a lawsuit filed against him by his brother. He's actually added 3 new clients for every one he's lost, and has only lost 2 of 120 employees throughout the turmoil. He's given up all his personal salary to pay lawyers to fight off the lawsuit against a brother. If he can make it a year (the point when the new contracts start paying off) he'll be in the clear. The outcome of the lawsuit will be what allows the business to sink or swim. But overall revenue has increased. There's been a desperate attempt in the past week to tie the business troubles to the wage restructuring, when absent the lawsuit, the wage restructuring would had had no effect on business viability. Their father, Ron Price, has commented in the last week that the brothers are getting close to resolving their issues.

Quote:
More troubling, a few customers, dismayed by what they viewed as a political statement, withdrew their business. Others, anticipating a fee increase — despite repeated assurances to the contrary — also left.

While dozens of new clients, inspired by Price’s announcement, were signing up, those accounts will not start paying off for at least another year. To handle the flood, he has had to hire a dozen additional employees — now at a significantly higher cost.

Two of Price’s most valued employees quit, spurred in part by their view that it was unfair to double the pay of some new hires while the longest-serving staff members got small or no raises. Some friends and associates in Seattle’s close-knit entrepreneurial network were also piqued that Price’s action made them look stingy in front of their own employees.
Lawsuit, legal fees

Then, less than two weeks after the announcement, Price’s older brother and Gravity co-founder, Lucas Price, citing longstanding differences, filed a lawsuit that potentially threatened the company’s existence. With legal bills quickly mounting and most of his own paycheck and last year’s $2.2 million in profits plowed into the salary increases, Dan Price said: “We don’t have a margin of error to pay those legal fees.”

The reaction to his salary pledge has led him to think that if his business continues to prosper, his actions could have far-reaching consequences. “The cause has expanded,” he said. “Whether I like it or not, the stakes are higher.”

Turmoil

Quote:

A Seattle CEO who received widespread recognition after announcing plans to raise his credit-card-processing company’s minimum salary to $70,000 is being sued by his brother, King County Superior Court documents show.

Lucas Price, co-founder and director of Gravity Payments, accuses his brother, co-founder and CEO Dan Price, of violating Lucas’ rights as minority shareholder and breaching duties and contracts, according to court records.

The complaints were initially signed March 13 and filed April 24, 11 days after Dan Price announced the pay raises. Attorney Greg Hollon, who represents Lucas Price, said that while that announcement may play a role in the proceedings, it does not relate directly to the lawsuit.

According to the documents, the brothers founded Price & Price as a merchant-services company in 2004. Dan Price became CEO in 2006. Amid disagreements between the brothers, they restructured it into a new company, Gravity Payments, in 2008.

The company, which processed $6.5 billion in transactions for more than 12,000 businesses last year, employs 120 people.

During the restructuring, Lucas Price agreed to a minority interest and a reduced employee role, which let Dan Price continue as CEO. In the process, the brothers entered into several contracts, which limited Dan’s compensation as a CEO and protected Lucas’ minority-shareholder rights, court records show.

Lucas Price claims his brother excessively paid himself and deprived Lucas Price of his minority-shareholder benefits. According to media reports, Dan Price was paying himself nearly $1 million a year before announcing he would cut his pay to $70,000 to help Gravity raise the pay of its employees to $70,000 over the next three years.

Court documents show that among other remedies, Lucas Price is asking the court to order Gravity to repurchase his shares and to provide a complete accounting of its transactions, financial affairs and financial records.

In a separate filing, Dan Price denied all complaints brought against him and said Lucas Price did not raise any concerns about executive compensation or his ownership benefits as a Gravity Payments director.

“I know the decision to pay everyone a living wage is controversial,” said Dan Price during a phone interview.

“Although the decision was not entirely made for business reasons, my team and I are committed to making my vision a business success. I deeply regret the rift this has caused in my relationship with my brother, who I love, and I’m hoping and praying for a quick resolution that’s positive for everybody.”

A trial date is set for next May 3.

Brotherly Lawsuit
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

It's never good to pay a lot more for something than you have to.

Nothing good ever comes of that.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

Those two employees that quit are ass holes.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
One big thing was he was giving people who didn't deserve that salary big raises, alienating people who did.

Who's to decide who "deserves" what? So, status equals opportunity?

This is exactly what is wrong with society today. People think they are entitled to an advantage because their parents could afford to send them to a nice school, when in all honesty, that degree is as worthless as toilet paper.

I make almost twice as much as some of my university educated colleagues, why you ask? Because I'm smarter and work harder. That degree does not entitle anyone to privilege, opportunity's or higher pay. My HS diploma has served me quite well.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle CEO who set firm's minimum wage to $70G says he has hit hard times

Fallout wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/01/seattle-ceo-who-set-firm-minimum-wage-to-70g-rents-house-to-make-ends-meet/?intcmp=hpbt4

Its an interesting read. He meant well, but now it could doom his company. One big thing was he was giving people who didn't deserve that salary big raises, alienating people who did. A guy with a Masters degree and a big school debt will feel pissed getting paid same as a Janitor without a HS diploma.

That person should not care what the janitor is making. It's not anyone's business what other people are making.

So you're going to quit your job because someone lower than you is making the same or near the same? Even if what you're making is fair? That makes no sense.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Quote:
One big thing was he was giving people who didn't deserve that salary big raises, alienating people who did.

This is exactly what is wrong with society today. People think they are entitled to an advantage because their parents could afford to send them to a nice school, when in all honesty, that degree is as worthless as toilet paper.

I make almost twice as much as some of my university educated colleagues, why you ask? Because I'm smarter and work harder. That degree does not entitle anyone to privilege, opportunity's or higher pay. My HS diploma has served me quite well.

Who said the people that the people that were alienated had even a GED? Are you the only one that can be smarter and work harder and be considered a “most valued” employee?

How would you react if the stoner that waltzes in at 10:30 made the exact same salary as you while you "work harder?"
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Quote:

Who said the people that the people that were alienated had even a GED? Are you the only one that can be smarter and work harder and be considered a “most valued” employee?

How would you react if the stoner that waltzes in at 10:30 made the exact same salary as you while you "work harder?"

1) You might want to re-write your first statement to try and make a tiny bit of sense. As is, it makes none. (let's hope this is not the result of some advanced university degree).

2) I could care less what anyone else makes, it's none of my business. And to your point that "stoner" would probably be fired for coming in at 10:30.

Last edited by lakerjoshua on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle CEO who set firm's minimum wage to $70G says he has hit hard times

USCandLakers wrote:
Fallout wrote:

That person should not care what the janitor is making. It's not anyone's business what other people are making.

So you're going to quit your job because someone lower than you is making the same or near the same? Even if what you're making is fair? That makes no sense.

Spot on.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Quote:

When I graduated college in 1990, the country was just entering a recession and a lot of my friends had trouble finding work. Many either made the choice to stay in school and get graduate degrees, primarily so they could defer their loan repayments, or took jobs earning less than they'd anticipated. I had a good buddy from high school that skipped college and started working at an AAMCO Transmission shop right after high school. By '95, the economy was going ahead full steam, and most of my college friends had finally secured good employment. I invited that high school friend to a party with my Yuppie friends and it was interesting. He had purchased the AAMCO shop that he'd worked at, and had opened a second franchise. I was making in the $80k range at the time, and a number of my Yuppie friends were in the low 6 figures. The change in the tone of the conversation when the inevitable question of just what my HS friend did for a living was palpable. The Yuppies would look down their nose at the "Mechanic". Fact of the matter is he was pulling in a bit over $300k, more than every single other person at the party, yet they had the temerity to look down their nose at him.

It's a sad statement on the way things are, but Americans (and increasingly many others around the world) base their self worth upon the perceived "status" associated with the work they choose to do. As I noted in another thread, the average salary for a garbage collector in this town is $110,000, yet the average office worker pulling in $50 will look down their nose at him. It's crazy. It's sad the things people use to try to measure themselves with one another. What ever happened to just valuing others for being decent people? Why are folks so wrapped up in what others choose to do for a living? Or how much they earn? In the final analysis, we're all just whores pedaling ourselves to make a buck.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
It's never good to pay a lot more for something than you have to.

Nothing good ever comes of that.

I think we have opposite views on just about everything.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Quote:

1) You might want to re-write your first statement to try and make a tiny bit of sense. As is, it makes none. (let's hope this is not the result of some advanced university degree).

2) I could care less what anyone else makes, it's none of my business. And to your point that "stoner" would probably be fired for coming in at 10:30.

Well if anything you can blame Baby Boomers (as a whole) for the ridiculousness of the current job market. For people born from 1950 - 1979 you could get a nice job by just finding your niche, putting your head down, and getting to work. I have no studies on hand but so many Boomers I've talked to have a similar story: they don't have the best degrees or educational pedigrees but they found something they're good at, worked at it, got hired (relatively easily I might add), and are now making great money.

The perfect example is the tech industry. My Uncle is a programmer who makes near 500K a year, and he graduated with an English degree. Another one of my Uncles has a similar undergraduate degree and basically self-taught himself programming languages on the side, and is now making tons of money designing websites and databases. Think this has a chance in hell of happening today? Most likely, no. You better have killed yourself in college trying to get an Engineering or computer programming degree, or you won't be looked at.

Back to my point: people born from 1980 - 2000 have had way more pressure placed upon them in terms of the job market. Now it's no longer enough to be good at something or to WANT to do something. It's about getting the next degree or box checked so that you look more competitive, as the Baby Boomers running HR departments won't take a chance on anyone because they have options (they didn't have to deal with a gigantic generation above them like millenials do...many more open jobs were available to them).

So I guess what I'm saying is that it's complicated. I can see why a person would be mad that someone's pay would be bumped considerably when, from their perspective, they'd played by the rules and essentially seen someone else cut in line to where they're at. Especially if these guys were Millenials, which means they probably broke their backs just trying to get an entry level job somewhere even with fantastic credentials.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Meh. Many execs at Google took $1 a year for their salary before they went public. The survived, and they took home huge amounts of bacon via their stocks and long term capital gains.

It's possible, but this guy doesn't sound like he did all his homework.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Quote:

You are more of the exception then the norm. How degree matters depends on the job. Do you really want someone to operate on you with a HS diploma?

Job performance should be based on merit. If soemone who went to college, have 60k in debt, work 60 hours a week and climbed the ranks to be promoted, then the stock boy ends up getting paid the same salary as you, you would be lying to say you wouldn't be pissed. Why should you put in 60 hours a week?

Also this will hurt the company in the long run. If it cost 30k to produce X widgets, now it cost 70k to produce the same amount of widgets.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Quote:

You are more of the exception then the norm. How degree matters depends on the job. Do you really want someone to operate on you with a HS diploma?

Job performance should be based on merit. If soemone who went to college, have 60k in debt, work 60 hours a week and climbed the ranks to be promoted, then the stock boy ends up getting paid the same salary as you, you would be lying to say you wouldn't be pissed. Why should you put in 60 hours a week?

Also this will hurt the company in the long run. If it cost 30k to produce X widgets, now it cost 70k to produce the same amount of widgets.

This is about paying people a livable wage. Paying people a baseline amount of money which allows them to live comfortably and increases their happiness will lead to a more productive workforce.

Higher performers in this scheme would still have the opportunity to earn more than the $70K minimum. Society as a whole recognizes this in calls for long overdue increases in minimum wage. For too long, worker productivity has gone up while wages have remained stagnant. People have to be able to "afford" to work.

This isn't about that though. This is about certain greedy individuals knowing that there's only one pie, and that bigger pieces for everyone means smaller pieces for them. This is type of thinking which has always been the downfall of unchecked capitalism.

Last edited by K28 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle CEO who set firm's minimum wage to $70G says he has hit hard times

USCandLakers wrote:
Fallout wrote:

Sounds great in theory but in reality, when it's time for increases, I've yet to meet anyone who was indifferent about not getting one.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Quote:

Of course degree matters. To say it doesn't, is to not know the marketplace. To use himself as an example of why it doesn't matter is not a good example.

David Karp founded Tumblr and he was a high school dropout. So was Richard Branson (Virgin) and Quentin Tarantino.

Doesn't mean you'd advise dropping out of high school. Or that it is worthless as toilet paper (tho, isn't toilet paper highly useful? Haha)

He is a good example of why don't have to have a degree to be successful but what about the millions of other people? He's attributing his success to his hard work which I'm sure plays a large role but there a lot of people who work hard, without degrees, that aren't making big bucks.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Geese people. Don't just take what the pundits with an agenda feed you. There is more than enough ample information available to do the basic math here.

The raise to $70,000 is being phased in over 3 years.

The avg increase in salary per employee in year #1 was $14,000 and will be $10,000/year per employee in 2016 & 2017.

There are currently 120 employees

The business took in $2.2 million in profits last year on revenue of $ (I'm still sourcing an accurate revenue approximation)

The company currently services about 12,000 clients.

That $2.2mil, plus $1.1 million in Mr. Prices salary are being plowed into the salary increase.

Prior to the announcement, the business had been adding a net average of 200 new clients per month.

Since the announcement, the business has been adding a net average of 350 new clients per month.

The company is privately held with 2 owners.

Right there are enough base numbers to do rough math. The business will definitely generate enough money to more than cover the salary increases. Roughly $6.5 million in additional profits to cover roughly $3,5 million in additional salary expenditures. (And this does not include the return on investments to business's they help finance, currently pegged at about $10 million)

It then becomes a philosophical issue as to where one believes the profits should go. But basic math clearly illustrates that the salary increase won't sink this business. They've a very sound business model in an industry that is notoriosly corrupt, a reason that their turnover is so exceedingly low in an industry with very high rates of turnover.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject:

2.2M on 12,000 clients?

That's like $180 per client. Yikes.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
2.2M on 12,000 clients?

Unlike retail and manufacturing, service provision industries don,'t experience a linear profit curve. Once set costs have been accounted for, revenue increases much more rapidly with the addition of new clientsclients since there are fewer cost offsets. Also, last years profits are post write down. That's why I'm trying to obtain a more reliable revenue figure than the one provided in an article. At industry standards, revenue on 12,000 client should come in at the $14 million range.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
2.2M on 12,000 clients?

Unlike retail and manufacturing, service provision industries don,'t experience a linear profit curve. Once set costs have been accounted for, revenue increases much more rapidly with the addition of new clientsclients since there are fewer cost offsets. Also, last years profits are post write down. That's why I'm trying to obtain a more reliable revenue figure than the one provided in an article. At industry standards, revenue on 12,000 client should come in at the $14 million range.

No, I get all that. But it still comes out to about $15 per month per client which doesn't seem like a very big figure at all especially for a B2B client.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Quote:

You're in sales like me LJ. Produce or don't eat. It's a whole different animal then the regular climb up the ladder.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Quote:

You're in sales like me LJ. Produce or don't eat. It's a whole different animal then the regular climb up the ladder.

And good luck trying to become a doctor, lawyer, etc without a college degree. And a lot of jobs require it. But it won't guarantee you anything, and neither will hard work on its own. Every little bit helps.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Quote:

And good luck trying to become a doctor, lawyer, etc without a college degree. And a lot of jobs require it. But it won't guarantee you anything, and neither will hard work on its own. Every little bit helps.

I never had the desire to practice law or medicine nor desired the perceived status that comes with the job. I work in Silicon Valley, one of the most competitive job markets in the country. I know plenty of executives, founders, engineers, programers, etc, who are quite successful without a degree so I may not be the "norm" but I am far from an anomaly as you suggest.

In fact, from my experience, most employers could care less about a degree and care more about practical skills. I've seen MBA's passed over for candidates with no degree who possessed the skills necessary to do the job.

So, If I'm paid for being the best at what I do, and the janitor is the best at what he does, why should I care if he makes the same as me?

Last edited by lakerjoshua on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: