Kobe Final Season - I'm excited and sad
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Kobe Final Season - I'm excited and sad

Don't know if it was posted before but watching the Kobe highlight of 2014-15, I am hoping for a monster year for him with limited minutes. It feels like if he can take that rust off missing games due to the achilles and knee injuries and strengthen his lower body, it can be a memorable last season. Seems like he can move to all the places he wanted too and still have a lot of his moves down, just need to have that extra pop. Hoping another year of rest and rehab will give him that pop.

Last edited by DLaker on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

I don't know what to make of it just yet. Not sure he's retiring, but if this is his last season, would be nice to have the League appreciate him on his way out. But that's probably not how Kobe plans to go out.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

He'll be signing with the Wizards in 2017 after a year of retirement.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
He'll be signing with the Wizards in 2017 after a year of retirement.
after he plays a season with the L.A. Galaxy.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

I've been ready to move on from the old Kobe for several years now.

I want to either see a new Kobe, or no Kobe at all.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Well that's dumb, because 2013 kobe was on another world
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Agreed. But then Achilles, knee, and shoulder injuries. Just not the same Kobe. Has to work so much harder now.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject:

If he stays healthy for the most of the season (65+games), the chance of retirement is much lower, maybe 50%. In this case, I can see him signing a 6-8 million contract for one year.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject:

I'am convinced it is Kobe's last year and I can't see his body lasting very long.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Hmm. I actually thought it was his worst season as the old Kobe. In fact, it was the first time where I felt like ok, the decline is finally here.

If I could have any Kobe from 2003-2013, the one I'd want least is the 2012-2013 Kobe.

At any rate, the guy hasn't been "Kobe" in about 3 seasons. Like I said, I will be ready either for a new Kobe (an efficient and awesome leader Kobe in a reduced role) or no Kobe at all. Old Kobe has left us.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Hmm. I actually thought it was his worst season as the old Kobe. In fact, it was the first time where I felt like ok, the decline is finally here.

If I could have any Kobe from 2003-2013, the one I'd want least is the 2012-2013 Kobe.

At any rate, the guy hasn't been "Kobe" in about 3 seasons. Like I said, I will be ready either for a new Kobe (an efficient and awesome leader Kobe in a reduced role) or no Kobe at all. Old Kobe has left us.

Correction, we're just left with an old Kobe. Damn the Achilles injury though!!!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I cannot believe this. 2013 kobe was ridiculous. After the all star break Kobe could score on literally any play. I have never seen anyone play as unstoppable as kobe did during that streak.

There were plays where he went to the basket and was surrounded on all sides by arms and hands with no space at all and somehow everytime he still found a way to score. Game after game where the games were too close for comfort (but we were trying so hard to get into the playoffs) Kobe would have the ball as the game was winding down and the lakers begging for some points and Kobe would go to the hoop and just put the ball in. I remember vividly how on one play Josh Smith was just shaking his head in awe. There were so many games like that in 2013

And it wasn't just scoring. You had him dropping consecutive triple doubles, getting double digit assists in multiple games. Defensively, that was when Brandon Jennings said he's never faced tougher defense than where Kobe guarded him.

Maybe you just don't remember 2013. Because that Kobe was not human, and one of the best Kobe's of his career

Last edited by Chronicle on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Correction, we're just left with an old Kobe. Damn the Achilles injury though!!!

Haha. By the old Kobe, I'm talking about the one that was able to carry this team on his back and do the types of things that separates Kobe from other stars.

Which is why I said I'm ready for a new Kobe (one who will accept and flourish in a supporting role). If he doesn't want to do that, then it's time to just move on without him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I cannot believe this. 2013 kobe was ridiculous. After the all star break Kobe could score on literally any play. I have never seen anyone play as unstoppable as kobe did during that streak.

There were plays where he went to the basket and was surrounded on all sides by arms and hands with no space at all and somehow everytime he still found a way to score. Game after game where the games were too close for comfort (but we were trying so hard to get into the playoffs) Kobe would have the ball as the game was winding down and the lakers begging for some points and Kobe would go to the hoop and just put the ball in. I remember vividly how on one play Josh Smith was just shaking his head in awe. There were so many games like that in 2013

And it wasn't just scoring. You had him dropping consecutive triple doubles, getting double digit assists in multiple games. Defensively, that was when Brandon Jennings said he's never faced tougher defense than where Kobe guarded him.

Maybe you just don't remember 2013. Because that Kobe was not human, and one of the best Kobe's of his career

I loved Kobe that year. He carried that dysfunctional squad into the playoffs. It might not have been his most efficient year, but that was pretty amazing.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

after this year, I bet he signs with a contender to chase MJ.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

He put up some very solid numbers on a lackluster team surrounded by decorated NBA veterans.

In his prime, he would have done a lot better with a Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and Steve Nash.

You remember vividly one ONE play that someone shook his head? OK. But sorry, I felt what I was seeing was the writing on the wall, and I've been saying that, I'm not just making that up now. That's still darn good relative to other players, but by Kobe's prime as a standard? Subpar. He worked harder, not at all smarter.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I loved Kobe that year. He carried that dysfunctional squad into the playoffs. It might not have been his most efficient year, but that was pretty amazing.

It was the first season I felt annoyed at him.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good individual year. But if he gets credit for figuring out how to win with this team, then he gets the blame for leading what should have been a contender, to 7 games below .500

If you could have the Kobe of any season from 2003-2013, wouldn't 2012-2013 be one of the least likely seasons that you'd pick?
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's career ended with these two shots on April 12, 2013

with that said, on an individual basis my favorite 3 years of his career 2004,2006,2010 Those years he was simply breathtaking... run away MVP of the freakn league BY FAR! Loved Kobe, his fire, intensity, his will to win. I always knew with him on the team we had a chance to be champs because he would do everything he could to make us great!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, it was a good individual year. But if he gets credit for figuring out how to win with this team, then he gets the blame for leading what should have been a contender, to 7 games below .500

If you could have the Kobe of any season from 2003-2013, wouldn't 2012-2013 be one of the least likely seasons that you'd pick?

Depends on what angle you are taking. That season, when expectations were sky high, the team was vastly underperforming and Kobe took that squad to the playoffs with a 28-12 (or was it 28-14) end of season. Of course the Achilles injury has made this season mythical, but I still appreciated what he did that year.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
after this year, I bet he signs with a contender to chase MJ.

I don't think he will, but if he does, he has my blessing.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Ringfinger clearly doesn't remember the 2012-2013 season. Kobe played out of this world basketball and clearly carried the team to the playoffs.

That 48mpg streak was something that's never going to happen again.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Ringfinger clearly doesn't remember the 2012-2013 season. Kobe played out of this world basketball and clearly carried the team to the playoffs.

It was horrifying how it ended...but to watch him go out like that was an honor.

Kobe will always be special to me. He went out guns blazing.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject:

(game before the achilles injury)

This might have been my favorite season watching kobe ever, the team did underachieve somewhat, but the versions of pau, dwight, and nash were all lesser versions than what we expected. Pau and nash missed half the season and dwight wasn't healthy until around the allstar break, and we were using 3rd string pgs for a quarter of the season almost because steve blake missed half the season as well. When everybody got somewhat healthy we went on a run and had like the 4th best record in the league after the break until kobe's body gave out, I personally think he was remarkable that season, despite expectations of what our record should have been
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Depends on what angle you are taking. That season, when expectations were sky high, the team was vastly underperforming and Kobe took that squad to the playoffs with a 28-12 (or was it 28-14) end of season. Of course the Achilles injury has made this season mythical, but I still appreciated what he did that year.

Oh yeah, his effort was definitely appreciated. He laid it all out there.

But it was to me, one of his worst seasons, if not the worst, of his prime years. (And not because of the achilles which, effectively, made it the worst).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

I already said I remember it well. Your standards for Kobe have been substantially lowered.

He was a better basketball player in virtually every year of his prime.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: