Coaching and Kobe will decide how many games we win
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I'm on the fence with respect to the OP's assertion about the level expected for Kobe's impact. Frankly, I think he's pretty close to being a non-factor now in terms of the Lakers being a better team with him on court this season - or without him. Too close to call, really.

I think you're probably right. We were 10-25 (.286) in the 35 games he played last year. That's on pace for a 23 win season, not too far off from what we did and plus we were tanking later in the season and had more injuries so kind of a wash.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
70sdude wrote:
I'm on the fence with respect to the OP's assertion about the level expected for Kobe's impact. Frankly, I think he's pretty close to being a non-factor now in terms of the Lakers being a better team with him on court this season - or without him. Too close to call, really.

I think you're probably right. We were 10-25 (.286) in the 35 games he played last year. That's on pace for a 23 win season, not too far off from what we did and plus we were tanking later in the season and had more injuries so kind of a wash.

The advanced stats all said the team was better without Kobe before "the tank" supposedly happened.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Kobe will be a factor but not the main factor. Kobe's not going to carry the team. He can't take over like he used to. Nor will he sabotage it. I think Kobe's smart enough to know his limitation now and will allow the new blood to develop.

I don't see Scott doing anything that much different than what he did last year. Except this will be an all-out no tanking year. He's going to rely on his assistants who will do their best to put the players in a position to win.

To me, Russell and Hibbert are the biggest factors in determining whether this will be a good year or another bad year. Russell is setting the offense and Hibbert is in charge of the paint and rim. It all starts with those two.

Playing at a slow deliberate pace (basically Byron's Princeton) is sabotaging it. Unless you care about another one-year rental in Hibbert or Robert Sacre, nobody benefits from that style.

Kobe, Russell, Bass, Clarkson and Hibbert are basically a half court team. they're not a run and gun squad. Maybe the second unit will play more up tempo. It is what it is. MDA couldn't get that first unit to play up tempo. And I would give Kobe the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he's going to turn it into the Kobe show at this stage of his career.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:

But where do we disagree? I believe the lakers can be around 15th in defense with the moves made. is that unrealistic?

The Warriors had a high degree of roster continuity in recent years while the expected rotation for the Lakers this season will be largely unfamiliar with each other.

The Warriors have had Mike Malone, Darren Erman and Ron Adams coaching their defense in recent years.

To expect improvements similar to what the Warriors had, the roster would need to have fewer fresh faces and a defensive coach close to the abilities of those that have been with the Warriors.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Kobe will be a factor but not the main factor. Kobe's not going to carry the team. He can't take over like he used to. Nor will he sabotage it. I think Kobe's smart enough to know his limitation now and will allow the new blood to develop.

I don't see Scott doing anything that much different than what he did last year. Except this will be an all-out no tanking year. He's going to rely on his assistants who will do their best to put the players in a position to win.

To me, Russell and Hibbert are the biggest factors in determining whether this will be a good year or another bad year. Russell is setting the offense and Hibbert is in charge of the paint and rim. It all starts with those two.

Playing at a slow deliberate pace (basically Byron's Princeton) is sabotaging it. Unless you care about another one-year rental in Hibbert or Robert Sacre, nobody benefits from that style.

Kobe, Russell, Bass, Clarkson and Hibbert are basically a half court team. they're not a run and gun squad. Maybe the second unit will play more up tempo. It is what it is. MDA couldn't get that first unit to play up tempo. And I would give Kobe the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he's going to turn it into the Kobe show at this stage of his career.

I don't really care about Bass that much, but Russell and Clarkson would absolutely be better in a freeflowing system.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject:

I don't want to see a high volume shooting, low percentage shooting version of Kobe this season.

My hopes for Kobe this season are these:

1. Health - Play 70 games or more

2. FG Percentage - Make it a goal to shock the world and pass up low percentage shots and try and shoot 50% or above from the floor this season, that would make a statement, even on lower PPG

3. Defense - Close it out strong, take pride again on that end of the floor and lead by example.

Or at least play smart positional defense as I don't expect him to be a lockdown perimeter defender at his age but let's shelve the "roamer" role this sason

If he could do those three things, I would be ecstatic as it would silence a lot of Kobe doubters and honestly make us a far better team.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Car54 wrote:

But where do we disagree? I believe the lakers can be around 15th in defense with the moves made. is that unrealistic?

The Warriors had a high degree of roster continuity in recent years while the expected rotation for the Lakers this season will be largely unfamiliar with each other.

The Warriors have had Mike Malone, Darren Erman and Ron Adams coaching their defense in recent years.

To expect improvements similar to what the Warriors had, the roster would need to have fewer fresh faces and a defensive coach close to the abilities of those that have been with the Warriors.

Thats a good point
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: