Kentucky Cop Handcuffs the Biceps of Crying 8 Year Old

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Kentucky Cop Handcuffs the Biceps of Crying 8 Year Old

Quote:
A Kentucky sheriff on Tuesday defended a deputy who has been accused of illegally handcuffing two disabled children for misbehaving at school, saying that the deputy “did what he was sworn to do” in order to help school officials keep their buildings safe.

Korzenborn’s response came one day after the American Civil Liberties Union sued him and his deputy, Kevin Sumner, in a lawsuit meant to highlight and stop the practice of shackling disabled children at school.

The ACLU also published video footage showing a man the complaint identifies as Sumner handcuffing an eight-year-old boy behind his back in a room at an elementary school. The handcuffs were placed around the boy’s biceps, perhaps because the boy, at 52 pounds and three-and-a-half feet tall, was too small to be handcuffed at the wrists.

Quote:
“Oh, God. Ow, that hurts,” says the boy, an eight-year-old third-grader identified as S.R., in the video.

“You can do what we ask you to or you can suffer the consequences,” the officer said.

The ACLU complaint also accuses Sumner of twice handcuffing another child, a nine-year-old girl who weighed 56 pounds. Both children have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, a condition that makes it difficult for them to stay focused, control his behavior and follow instructions,

Kentucky regulations prohibit school staff and school resource officers from using physical restraints such as handcuffs unless “the student’s behavior poses an imminent danger of physical harm to self or others.”

The complaint says that the two children never posed a physical threat to anybody.

Handcuffing 8 Year Olds Video
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject:

I used to work with Autistic children in the late 90s early 00's. There were times when the kids would get a bit difficult to handle and would need to be "restrained" but handcuffs? Wow.

"Children with disabilities account for about 12 percent of the nation’s student population..."

Honestly, a good % of these kids with "disabilities" just need parent(s) that give a damn and they'd be fine. It was sad to see clueless parents allowing their kids to regress and become a statistic just because they were too lazy and ignorant to give a turd about their child.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
I used to work with Autistic children in the late 90s early 00's. There were times when the kids would get a bit difficult to handle and would need to be "restrained" but handcuffs? Wow.

"Children with disabilities account for about 12 percent of the nation’s student population..."

Honestly, a good % of these kids with "disabilities" just need parent(s) that give a damn and they'd be fine. It was sad to see clueless parents allowing their kids to regress and become a statistic just because they were too lazy and ignorant to give a turd about their child.

those kids can be very very difficult at times but handcuffing is extreme.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject:

Kobeskillz wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

ESPECIALLY by the biceps. But POLICE have no business in a elementary school imo.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

ESPECIALLY by the biceps. But POLICE have no business in a elementary school imo.

Indeed. If things got out of hand, we MIGHT have called another teacher into the classroom... But the police? Why?

Not to mention what if the kid were to have fallen down if they were still out of control and going wild. No way to brace his/her self... Dangerous and an injury waiting to happen.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: