Lakers Go-To man?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Lakers Go-To man?

Who do you think would be the best Laker to be the "Go To" man in the fourth quarter?

I know, of course if Kobe is healthy and playing well, he would normally be the guy. But last year he kind of had a hard time scoring at will with his injuries...he probably actually hurt the team in the 4Q.

I think Clarkson has the attitude of wanting to be the man in the fourth quarter.

But I think eventually it might be Julius Randle. In the Summer League against Minnesota and the Lakers were down, they started going to Randle in the fourth quarter...he made this one great move that gave me hope for him...he isolated against APayne and faced up and blew by him on the baseline for a dunk.

One on one, high percentage shot...JR has a mismatch against almost anyone....speed or power....pick your poison. Hopefully he can learn to knock down that outside shot consistently.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

I think Lou Williams will be that man in certain situations. I can see him closing out games with either Clarkson or DLO sitting.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject:

Nick Young.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Lou Williams will be that man in certain situations. I can see him closing out games with either Clarkson or DLO sitting.

True...I didn't even think of Sweet Lou.

Maybe I was thinking further down the road for Julius.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

Russell/Randle PnP or clarkson/Randle lol either way it's unstoppable.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

I like Randle a lot, but not sure in his first year whether he will be able to finish well at the rim against NBA length and/or consistently hit the mid-range jumper.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

I like Randle a lot, but not sure in his first year whether he will be able to finish well at the rim against NBA length and/or consistently hit the mid-range jumper.

I just thought that one move against Payne was so Worthyesque.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Randle finishes at the rim very well. Don't let the last summer league fool you because he was rusty. Take a look at his college tape and last years summer league. He shoots at weird angles but he makes it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Yeah. But there's guys like Ibaka, Draymond Green, DJ, etc. where it'll be tougher for him to finish.
Agent P
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject:

D'Lou Youngson
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Randle finishes at the rim very well. Don't let the last summer league fool you because he was rusty. Take a look at his college tape and last years summer league. He shoots at weird angles but he makes it.

Finishing isn't there yet, particularly against NBA products. Plus, he shoots left-handed exclusively so there's that. This is something he will work on and once he gets a solid mid-range game, will open things up for him. Right now it's a bit of a bull rush at the rim (success) but finishing will be an iffy proposition his first full year IMO. He can improve no doubt.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Yeah. But there's guys like Ibaka, Draymond Green, DJ, etc. where it'll be tougher for him to finish.

DJ would be a problem as he is the help defense.

But the others will be left behind in his dust if they are guarding JR one on one away from the basket. (that's just an opinion)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

DJ would be a problem as he is the help defense.

But the others will be left behind in his dust if they are guarding JR one on one away from the basket. (that's just an opinion)

But that was also a concern in college too. Look, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying this about his first full season, not his career. It takes a lot of adjustment for college to pros anyways and finishing against NBA length is one of the biggest ones.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

That's college. I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment -- and being unfair to Randle -- if they expect him to come out of the box like a proven veteran. I think, like most rookies, he's going to have a rocky adjustment period as he deals with the much higher competition at the NBA level.

And seriously, you have to quit going on with this fallacy that he had a great summer league last year. He was mediocre overall (shot 41.9%), and then in the one NBA game he played he shot 1-3 with no rebounds in 14 minutes.

Give the guy some time. He's going to have some rough games to start out. He can finish well, but he plays below the rim and needs to learn to use his other hand.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject:

Clarkson. The only real triple threat we have.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

That's college. I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment -- and being unfair to Randle -- if they expect him to come out of the box like a proven veteran. I think, like most rookies, he's going to have a rocky adjustment period as he deals with the much higher competition at the NBA level.

And seriously, you have to quit going on with this fallacy that he had a great summer league last year. He was mediocre overall (shot 41.9%), and then in the one NBA game he played he shot 1-3 with no rebounds in 14 minutes.

Give the guy some time. He's going to have some rough games to start out.

Agreed. I think he will be a nice player, but finishing against NBA defenders at the rim will be a challenge his first full year.
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject:

If Kobe can walk its going to be Kobe taking the last shot.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Give the guy some time. He's going to have some rough games to start out.

Agreed. I think he will be a nice player, but finishing against NBA defenders at the rim will be a challenge his first full year.

He has a nice skillset, but he needs a lot of work. In the short term, I think he is going to shoot a lot percentage and be a turnover/foul machine. I am going to be shocked if he breaks into the starting lineup in the first third of the season
Agent P
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Clarkson. The only real triple threat we have.

I agree, I just worry about him needing too much space to get a shot off when the d is keying on him.
THE_DAGGER
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

If it's not Kobe. It's Randle. No one else has the potential to command a double team.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

i'd still prefer Kobe taking those clutch shots, see, i'm not anti-kobe all the time
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

In order, it will likely be:

1. Kobe
2. Lou
3. Clarkson/DLO
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully we go with the hot hand or just move the ball as well as bodies and find the open man. All this "go to guy" stuff is seriously over rated.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Hopefully we go with the hot hand or just move the ball as well as bodies and find the open man. All this "go to guy" stuff is seriously over rated.

Defense, can you introduce yourself to Swaggy P sometime? I don't think he knows you.
I know you and Kobe have had a falling out in recent years, but maybe you can rekindle your relationship.
Also you and your brother (rebounding) should spend some time with Randle.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Give the guy some time. He's going to have some rough games to start out. He can finish well, but he plays below the rim and needs to learn to use his other hand.

Dude, i actually watch the games. I don't rely on stats, highlights, and regurgitated theories from last years lottery. The idea that Randle struggles finishing against length was began last season when rumors that he's had T-Rex arms started. Other than this past summer league after coming back from injury, Randle hasn't shown once that he struggles finishing against length.

Randle didn't take one jump shot last year in summer league and repeatedly finished over length. They literally couldn't stop him and knew exactly what he was going to do. He has also shown the ability to finish with his right hand and looks comfortable Doing it even though he doesn't very often.

jist for (bleep) and giggles there's a highlight of randles summer league last season repeatedly Doig what you say he can't 😏

Edit. Here's even more footage of Randle finishing over NBA length in preseason.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: