Lakers Go-To man?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Acutally in the new NBA there is no go to man

It is now a team game. didn't you know that yet. No wonder Lakers are
were they are.

Look at the Spurs and GSW. Even the Cavs will have to play team ball to win.

The Spurs have at least 6 go to men.
The GSW at least 4.
The Clippers at least 3 to 4.

When the Lakers learn that the NBA is about team bb they will win again.
Ball movement, player movement, and lots of teamwork.

New concept for the Lakers?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject:

A go-to-guy takes many forms: a shot-taker with the 24 second clock winding down, a more specialized shot-taker in last ditch game-on-the-line "one shot left" scenario, a season-long average leading scorer on the roster.

I think that we are most likely to see no one player stand out much from the others in these categories. The current likely candidates: Randle, Clarkson, Bryant, and Lou Williams. Williams is probably the safe bet, but only by a very small margin.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
defense wrote:
Hopefully we go with the hot hand or just move the ball as well as bodies and find the open man. All this "go to guy" stuff is seriously over rated.

Defense, can you introduce yourself to Swaggy P sometime? I don't think he knows you.
I know you and Kobe have had a falling out in recent years, but maybe you can rekindle your relationship.
Also you and your brother (rebounding) should spend some time with Randle.

I tried they slammed the door in my face
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Russell/Randle PnP or clarkson/Randle lol either way it's unstoppable.

I like Randle a lot, but not sure in his first year whether he will be able to finish well at the rim against NBA length and/or consistently hit the mid-range jumper.

Randle finishes at the rim very well. Don't let the last summer league fool you because he was rusty. Take a look at his college tape and last years summer league. He shoots at weird angles but he makes it.

That's college. I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment -- and being unfair to Randle -- if they expect him to come out of the box like a proven veteran. I think, like most rookies, he's going to have a rocky adjustment period as he deals with the much higher competition at the NBA level.

And seriously, you have to quit going on with this fallacy that he had a great summer league last year. He was mediocre overall (shot 41.9%), and then in the one NBA game he played he shot 1-3 with no rebounds in 14 minutes.

Give the guy some time. He's going to have some rough games to start out. He can finish well, but he plays below the rim and needs to learn to use his other hand.

Dude, i actually watch the games. I don't rely on stats, highlights, and regurgitated theories from last years lottery. The idea that Randle struggles finishing against length was began last season when rumors that he's had T-Rex arms started. Other than this past summer league after coming back from injury, Randle hasn't shown once that he struggles finishing against length.

Randle didn't take one jump shot last year in summer league and repeatedly finished over length. They literally couldn't stop him and knew exactly what he was going to do. He has also shown the ability to finish with his right hand and looks comfortable Doing it even though he doesn't very often.

jist for (bleep) and giggles there's a highlight of randles summer league last season repeatedly Doig what you say he can't 😏

Edit. Here's even more footage of Randle finishing over NBA length in preseason.

Even in the highlight tapes, which obviously show him at his very best, I can see the problems he's going to have adjusting to the real league. LIke I said: For the first third of his career, he'll probably shoot about 40% with lots of fouls and turnovers.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Lou Williams will be that man in certain situations. I can see him closing out games with either Clarkson or DLO sitting.

For sure.
Watched quite a few Raps games, Lou Williams is super aggressive in trying to score. He's Kobe insurance IMO.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:

It's Kobe.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject:

KOBE YOUNG SWAG CLARKSON RUSSELL
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Russell or Clarkson. And, of course Kobe if he's in the game/available.

I can't imagine it being a forward, no matter how good Randle may be, unless that player has tremendous face up AND post play a la Pau a few years ago, or LaMarcus Aldridge these days.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

I like Randle a lot, but not sure in his first year whether he will be able to finish well at the rim against NBA length and/or consistently hit the mid-range jumper.

Randle finishes at the rim very well. Don't let the last summer league fool you because he was rusty. Take a look at his college tape and last years summer league. He shoots at weird angles but he makes it.

That's college. I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment -- and being unfair to Randle -- if they expect him to come out of the box like a proven veteran. I think, like most rookies, he's going to have a rocky adjustment period as he deals with the much higher competition at the NBA level.

And seriously, you have to quit going on with this fallacy that he had a great summer league last year. He was mediocre overall (shot 41.9%), and then in the one NBA game he played he shot 1-3 with no rebounds in 14 minutes.

Give the guy some time. He's going to have some rough games to start out. He can finish well, but he plays below the rim and needs to learn to use his other hand.

Dude, i actually watch the games. I don't rely on stats, highlights, and regurgitated theories from last years lottery. The idea that Randle struggles finishing against length was began last season when rumors that he's had T-Rex arms started. Other than this past summer league after coming back from injury, Randle hasn't shown once that he struggles finishing against length.

Randle didn't take one jump shot last year in summer league and repeatedly finished over length. They literally couldn't stop him and knew exactly what he was going to do. He has also shown the ability to finish with his right hand and looks comfortable Doing it even though he doesn't very often.

jist for (bleep) and giggles there's a highlight of randles summer league last season repeatedly Doig what you say he can't 😏

Edit. Here's even more footage of Randle finishing over NBA length in preseason.

Even in the highlight tapes, which obviously show him at his very best, I can see the problems he's going to have adjusting to the real league. LIke I said: For the first third of his career, he'll probably shoot about 40% with lots of fouls and turnovers.

If you mean first third of the season, I think that may be reasonable (although if he gets some pick and roll stuff going he'll do better IMO). If you actually mean first third of career, I will take that bet.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Lou Williams will be that man in certain situations. I can see him closing out games with either Clarkson or DLO sitting.

For sure.
Watched quite a few Raps games, Lou Williams is super aggressive in trying to score. He's Kobe insurance IMO.

Spot on. He was brought in because he can be a bailout scorer, but is also comfortable spotting up off the ball. I would place him and Clarkson as the likely guys, especially early. Russell may surprise later, but more as a playmaker creating for someone.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

If you mean first third of the season, I think that may be reasonable (although if he gets some pick and roll stuff going he'll do better IMO). If you actually mean first third of career, I will take that bet.

40% lol that's a joke, right? 45% minimum and that's only because he will be taking a ton of jumpshots and not because he can't finish over length. That's just rediculous tbh. it's fine, we will all see when the season starts.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject:

I think randle has trouble finishing sometimes because of how fast he's moving before he goes up for the shot. He doesn't properly gather himself all the time and that leads to some awkward shots, using jump stop like this one
would be great for him, even if it slows him down defenders will bounce off of him anyway and it allows him to go up with more control
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject:

In crunch time going forward we'll probably go with some of what we saw last year, stretch four, high pick and roll. Ideally, it will be Russell with the ball (when he's ready- before that Kobe & Lou), and Randle as the roll man.

If the clock is winding down and we need two points or a foul, then we probably isolate Randle.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
I think randle has trouble finishing sometimes because of how fast he's moving before he goes up for the shot. He doesn't properly gather himself all the time and that leads to some awkward shots, using jump stop like this one
would be great for him, even if it slows him down defenders will bounce off of him anyway and it allows him to go up with more control

He has problems finishing because he's under the rim and on the way down often while he's getting the shot off. In the halfcourt he's going to need to use the up and under moves a'la Zebo/Elton Brand to be effective IMO.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

It will be Kobe
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It will be Kobe

Of course, but a guy like Lou Will, even Clarkson may think otherwise.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

I meant the first third of the season. I think he'll struggle in the first 20-30 games as he adjusts to the NBA, and recovers from his extended layoff. I wouldn't make any projections for Randle past his rookie season at this point.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

He has problems finishing because he's under the rim and on the way down often while he's getting the shot off. In the halfcourt he's going to need to use the up and under moves a'la Zebo/Elton Brand to be effective IMO.

Randle is going to need to unlearn some bad habits and develop some new skills -- if he stays with the tricks that worked in college, NBA level guys are going to figure out how to deal with him quickly.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm assuming we're talking post-Kobe here... If i'm right in that assumption then I'll go with the guy that I've said all along will be our 'closer' and that's Clarkson. I envision a scenario where Dlo is the facilitator and Randle is the power-guy down low going forward.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

what i mentioned directly relates to that issue, he can't properly explode because he doesn't gather himself properly, he doesn't lack for athleticism at the rim when he's under control, of course those type of moves will be useful, but he will be able to directly go up and finish vertically as well, his speed and strength will negate defenders length and ability to contest properly because they will be backpedaling or bouncing off of him and unable to get as high on their contests

and Im aware that your z-bo comment wasn't a direct comparison, but z-bo isn't giving you these kind of attempts at the rim

proper pace and footwork should go a long way in helping him finish consistently with moves like this (its steve novak but still )

drive, bump, gather and explode

as opposed to this kind of move/gather that he does a little too often
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject:

it will still be Kobe. he's gonna try his best to go our with a bang. I wouldn't put it past him to still average 25ppg this season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
it will still be Kobe. he's gonna try his best to go our with a bang. I wouldn't put it past him to still average 25ppg this season.

Pretty difficult if he's playing less minutes.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:

1. Any guy open and named Kobe
2. Any guy not open, but is named Kobe

Stop the ridiculousness. Enjoy one final years of one of the greatest ever.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I think Clarkson is the best player on the team. I see him as the leading scorer and the go to player at the end of games. He's also the best perimeter defender and most athletic wing on the team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

Randle is going to need to unlearn some bad habits and develop some new skills -- if he stays with the tricks that worked in college, NBA level guys are going to figure out how to deal with him quickly.

Not many can match the combination of speed and power to deal with him individually. If they do it with schemes and double teams, then we will be happy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: