Lakers Go-To man?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theboiijames
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject:

it'll be Kobe...
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson, Randle, Kobe, Young, Williams, are all guys who can create their own offense. Go with whoever has the biggest mismatch on that night.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject:

It'll be Kobe running the show.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject:

I've never quite understood why teams have to radically change their approach when the game starts to wind down. Unless you're struggling getting high quality shots is doesn't make much sense to just start iso'ing someone.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I've never quite understood why teams have to radically change their approach when the game starts to wind down. Unless you're struggling getting high quality shots is doesn't make much sense to just start iso'ing someone.

I don't have a confident answer for that. Perhaps they want their best player to finish the play, where it wouldn't have been practical (and not to mention tiring) to run everything through him for four quarters.

Last season we typically pulled out the stretch four spread pick and roll in crunch time, with Kobe running the point.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject:

Lou Williams
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

Clarkson, Randle, Russell, Lo and Young all can creat they own shot. But none of them are close to Kobe right now
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

I just think in the past defenses were allowed to be more physical. Offenses were relegated to more predictability? You have so many sets and as the game wears on the defense obviously knows more or less how the opposition is running the offense. Back in the day it was nothing to hold on to a player coming off a screen? It is all about timing, and those nudges and holds can throw off the rhythm of an offense.

Hence the timing is off and you are left with either pnr or iso?

With todays rules however I see your point. The game is more mechanical and less passionate (because of the rules). You can't touch anyone anymore, so yes, why would a team just not keep the ball moving?
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Russell/Randle PnP or clarkson/Randle lol either way it's unstoppable.

I like Randle a lot, but not sure in his first year whether he will be able to finish well at the rim against NBA length and/or consistently hit the mid-range jumper.

Randle finishes at the rim very well. Don't let the last summer league fool you because he was rusty. Take a look at his college tape and last years summer league. He shoots at weird angles but he makes it.

That's college. I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment -- and being unfair to Randle -- if they expect him to come out of the box like a proven veteran. I think, like most rookies, he's going to have a rocky adjustment period as he deals with the much higher competition at the NBA level.

And seriously, you have to quit going on with this fallacy that he had a great summer league last year. He was mediocre overall (shot 41.9%), and then in the one NBA game he played he shot 1-3 with no rebounds in 14 minutes.

Give the guy some time. He's going to have some rough games to start out. He can finish well, but he plays below the rim and needs to learn to use his other hand.

Agree with everything you said except for him playing below the rim. That is just not true at all. Randle is an athletic freak and some of the dunks he puts up are pretty ridiculous
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I just think in the past defenses were allowed to be more physical. Offenses were relegated to more predictability? You have so many sets and as the game wears on the defense obviously knows more or less how the opposition is running the offense. Back in the day it was nothing to hold on to a player coming off a screen? It is all about timing, and those nudges and holds can throw off the rhythm of an offense.

Hence the timing is off and you are left with either pnr or iso?

With todays rules however I see your point. The game is more mechanical and less passionate (because of the rules). You can't touch anyone anymore, so yes, why would a team just not keep the ball moving?

I think that there are a lot of good reasons explaining why the last couple minutes of a tight game finds the smart teams altering their scoring approach:

- officiating is tighter and one has a greater chance of getting to the stripe in a tight call, hence there's value in running sets yielding higher productivity through contact than during most of the game.

- opposing teams have often lost a key (defensive) player to disqualification by that point, and there's a change in the floor balance of defensive pressures and relative strengths. The weaker replacement player can be pressured harder than throughout most of the game.

- the value is higher at game's end to focus on creating preferred (if not the most advantageous) types of shot attempts, compared to the rest of the game. Poorer shooters simply don't give your team as much chance to score when you need a score the most, at game's end. Hence, the poorer shooters are either not on the floor as often at game's end compared to other times, or they are on the floor and don't help your team get the best possible shot off. It's rare when the poorest regualr rotation player takes the game-winning shot, but he may score 6-10 points in regualr time; there are reasons.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

Love&Peace wrote:
If Kobe can walk its going to be Kobe taking the last shot.

Yup.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
1. Any guy open and named Kobe
2. Any guy not open, but is named Kobe

Stop the ridiculousness. Enjoy one final years of one of the greatest ever.

This. If this were a poll, 100% of the votes should go to Kobe, whether you believe it's right or not.

Last edited by USCandLakers on Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Because team defense tends to improve late in the game when everyone is playing their hardest. You see the same effect in the playoffs when teams start playing harder and points are harder to come by. This is why Phil Jackson would tell Kobe and MJ to move the ball around and play within the system for most of the game, but when clutch time rolled around, take the ball and go to work. I don't care how hard the defense is hitting their rotations, if you don't have a guy that can single cover and prevent the best player on the other team from scoring, well, then, you're probably screwed. And if you're forced to double team because of that fact, then you're playing right into their hands.

It's a lose-lose situation where the only thing you can do is hope that player is having an off game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: