Byron Scott: Analytics will play a "much" bigger role this coming season
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Byron Scott: Analytics will play a "much" bigger role this coming season

Byron Scott says analytics will have a bigger role in upcoming Lakers season

Los Angeles Lakers Head Coach Byron Scott called in to The Home Team this morning to share his views on the teams upcoming season. From Kobe Bryant’s health to D’Angelo Russell’s (the team’s No. 2 draft pick) performance in the Summer League to Julius Randle to the role of analytics to rebuilding the franchise. Clay Moser is the team’s new “analytics guy” and Byron Scott says:

We'll be using a lot more. Clay can bridge the gap between the analytical guys and the coaching guys. There are analytical guys who don’t have a clue about the game of basketball so one of the reasons we hired Clay was to bridge the gap. We are going to use analytics a lot more because the language is a lot better as far as him being able to relate it to us and to them as far as what we want to see.

We’ve already sat down a few times and talked about the analytical part that can help our players. It’s just given us a whole lot more information. I was never against it in the first place, it’s just that I’m old school and some of those things you take with a grain of salt and some of them you don’t. But now that I’ve got [an analytics] guy who’s a basketball guy who understands the analytical parts … it makes the language between me and him a lot easier to convert into what I need to do on the basketball court.

Entire Interview can be heard here: http://thebeast980.com/2015/08/04/byron-scott-says-analytics-will-have-a-bigger-role-in-upcoming-lakers-season/

Good to hear him confirm this. I already assumed he'd be on board with it by this point due to his comments at summer league. But this is nice as well. Good stuff.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject:

Hopefully this new guy can let byron know his teams have been in the bottom of the defensive categories for the past 10 years.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject:

Talk is cheap.

He can say all the right things like he did before last season. We'll see what actually ends up being true
Agent P
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject:

Sounds like he just doesn't understand. "They speakin that math talk and numbers mumbo jumbo."
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject:

Welcome to the 21st century!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject:

It sounds like a forced marriage between Byron and Clay Moser, with the front office holding the shotgun.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject:

We could run Golden State's offense and Scott would still be the whipping boy here at LG this upcoming season.

When we inevitably don't make the playoffs, he'll be getting the brunt of criticism. Even though we don't have a top 8 roster in our conference.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
We could run Golden State's offense and Scott would still be the whipping boy here at LG this upcoming season.

When we inevitably don't make the playoffs, he'll be getting the brunt of criticism. Even though we don't have a top 8 roster in our conference.

It's hilarious b/c it's so blatantly obvious that the FO told Scott to shape up or get ready to be cut loose.

Still, Scott's inclinations (and for many in his same age group who played in the NBA) are to disregard useful analytics tools.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Talk is cheap.

He can say all the right things like he did before last season. We'll see what actually ends up being true

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Talk is cheap.

Last season he also said he'd limit Kobe's minutes too. Yeah that went well.
jumpinmp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
bandiger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Talk is cheap.

Last season he also said he'd limit Kobe's minutes too. Yeah that went well.

Well... I guess he did in a way. Kobe played 1207 minutes; about 100 more than his rookie year. Hopefully there's a different plan in place to limit his minutes a bit more orthadoxy(sp?)
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject:

Jesus can the negativity stop!!!

Let's take Byron word for it this season. If he doesn't perform again than its open season on him. Last season he was dealt a rough deck of cards
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
It sounds like a forced marriage between Byron and Clay Moser, with the front office holding the shotgun.

I tend to lean this way too.

Trust me, as hard headed as Byron is, this relatively quick softening of stance is most likely job security-related. Then again, as others have pointed out, just lip service at this point in time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Let's take Byron word for it this season. If he doesn't perform again than its open season on him. Last season he was dealt a rough deck of cards

When you juxtapose it with his adamant refusal to consider analytics this past season, it's quite easy to conclude it was basically ordered by the FO and is job security related. For Byron's sake he should learn and embrace it.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject:

So it was a "language" problem? O-kay...
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

When you juxtapose it with his adamant refusal to consider analytics this past season, it's quite easy to conclude it was basically ordered by the FO and is job security related. For Byron's sake he should learn and embrace it.

Then again, I think CMXCIX's point is that no amount of analytics was going to save the Lakers lost season and, if it did have a slight impact, would have resulted in a worse lottery seeding.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Then again, I think CMXCIX's point is that no amount of analytics was going to save the Lakers lost season and, if it did have a slight impact, would have resulted in a worse lottery seeding.

I agree, but it's 100% clear Byron is a non-believer in analytics, and he took great pains to make that clear.

Now that he has a better team, a rookie in DLO that was an analytics guru's wet dream, and the fact he is coaching for his job in 2016, there's a reason why some of us are a bit skeptical.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject:

Hey look! Someone doesn't want to get fired!
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Pretty much this. Guy can't win.

In before someone makes a joke of that last sentence.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Pretty much this. Guy can't win.

In before someone makes a joke of that last sentence.

I don't know about the last part. Let's run an analytical analysis of it.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject:

I'm glad that Byron is saying the right things, especially on topics that he was stubborn about last season. However, I'm with the others in waiting until I see it on the court to really believe it. Aside from the Kobe minutes thing, here are some of his quotes last year's introductory press conference:

Quote:
“The one thing I told Mitch and Jim at our last meeting was that I thought they put a roster together that will be very competitive. The main thing I have to do right away is establish ourselves as a defensive basketball team.

They spent much of the season as a historically bad defensive team. They finished 29th out of 30 teams on defense. Boozer called him out on not drilling defense, only talking about it.

Quote:
"Guys have to understand that that’s what it’s going to take and they have to be held accountable for that."

Except if your name is Kobe Bryant, Jordan Hill, or Wes Johnson.

Quote:
“They don’t do it I’ll take them out the game. It’s pretty simple, Jim. I mean, again, you get beat on the defensive end, and I’ve done this my whole career, guys, they understand that you’re not doing what you’re supposed to do out there, there’s consequences. And the only thing that you can really control with players is their minutes. That gets their attention. So if you’re not out there and you’re not playing defense the way I think you’re capable of playing or the way we should play defense, then I’m going to have to find other guys that will.”

Except if your name is Kobe Bryant, Jordan Hill, or Wes Johnson.

Quote:
"Offensively we want to get up and down the floor. We want to spread the floor. Don’t want it sticking, as much as possible. And we want to put our players in a position to be successful.”

The team ran far less than it should have. He actually made them slow the pace down after a stretch of offensive success. The floor was anything but spread, as spacing was terrible. And they were pretty much the most ball sticky team in the league.

Quote:
Jeremy Lin?

"Well, you know, the thing I like about Jeremy, is that he’s feisty. He’s tough."

Quote:
“I think when you get to the point as a coach where you think you know it all, it’s time to retire. It really is. It’s time to retire. I don’t think I’m there yet. I think I have a lot to learn even though I’ve been doing this 13, 14 years. I still think every day I can get better, and why not lean on some of the guys I feel can help me get better, and that’s these guys right here.”

Then why did you keep rejecting new ideas by saying you're old school?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Scott aside, at least we finally picked up the shotgun. That's more important for our long term prospects than Byron's obsel....errr "old school" proclivities.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Scott aside, at least we finally picked up the shotgun.

Amen.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Scott aside, at least we finally picked up the shotgun.

Amen.

Was any of that on display in the Summer League (yes, you can make a case it's worthless)? Are they still committed to the Princeton offense? Will Kobe still have his blessing to basically do whatever he wants out there? It's all wait and see.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10
Jump to: