Byron Scott: Analytics will play a "much" bigger role this coming season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
I think good coaching and good players will always prevail over analytics unfortunately based on track record Byron is a Sub Par coach and neither a true believer in analytics.

Or like the Warriors, Spurs and Heat, you take good coaching, players AND robust use of analytics.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
I think good coaching and good players will always prevail over analytics unfortunately based on track record Byron is a Sub Par coach and neither a true believer in analytics.

Or like the Warriors, Spurs and Heat, you take good coaching, players AND robust use of analytics.

yes but they also have good management to back that up
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
allyoop wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
We could run Golden State's offense and Scott would still be the whipping boy here at LG this upcoming season.

When we inevitably don't make the playoffs, he'll be getting the brunt of criticism. Even though we don't have a top 8 roster in our conference.

It's hilarious b/c it's so blatantly obvious that the FO told Scott to shape up or get ready to be cut loose.

Still, Scott's inclinations (and for many in his same age group who played in the NBA) are to disregard useful analytics tools.

LOL yep! Remember this??

Lakers coach Byron Scott: I don’t believe in analytics

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/26/lakers-coach-byron-scott-i-dont-believe-in-analytics/

Seriously, who wants this clown to be the head coach of this increasingly clown ship?

Yeah there's another clown coach by the name of Pat Riley who's not a lover of analytics. I remember his comments a few years ago where he said; analytics guys “make me squeamy a little bit.” … Sorry.
Analytics is over hyped, give me great players and a coach that knows how to sell his system, when to use his players I will give you a successful team.
In baseball way over hyped, love the movie Trouble with the curve. Old scout using his eyes and knowledge of the game instead of some stupid analytical program to get it down right.

You mean this Pat Riley?:

Quote:
NBA.com: What statistical tools do you use?
Erik Spoelstra: We have a proprietary statistical database that we've had since I was an assistant coach. We developed it with our personal software writer for stats. He's based out of L.A. and his name is Shmuel Einstein.
When Pat [Riley] wanted to turn the corner statistically 10-plus years ago, he put me in charge of it with a blank canvas. So I figured he would be a good guy to hire since his name was Einstein.
NBA.com: So Pat was the one who originally drove you into statistics?
E.S.: He always wanted to crunch numbers and look at different ways of doing it. So he met with me one time and said, "I want more information. I don't know exactly what. Find somebody who can write a program, and take it where you think it can go."
NBA.com: And how much has it developed over time?
E.S.: Quite a bit. When I became head coach, I hired another guy that I've known for a long time, Bob Chaikin. He used to run a statistical database site and he runs simulations for me. So that's a little bit out of the box.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
There's an assumption that because of Byron's statement we'll be shooting far more 3's or less long 2's next year. That's not necessarily the case. It's possible he means defensive analytics. The Grizzles for example have the godfather of advanced stats running their team and year after year put zero emphasis on pace or 3-point shooting.

There's no indication that even if Byron wanted to raise the number of threes, he would know how to achieve it. We were among the league leaders last year in pull up 3's, 3's after several dribble, 3's after holding the ball in place for several seconds, and contested 3's.

These are the kind you generally don't want to take (unless you seem to be talented at it like Russell), and that any team can get if they really wanted to.

The main benefit of analytics likely will be to cut down on the dumb decisions based on "gut feel", or on "that's the way we've always done it". Baby steps. Start with the crappy clock management and late game foul management and then move on to more important things, like the horrible lineups..
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

No, I'm saying good coaches do well in the NBA and they always have.

If they didn't they wouldn't be considered good coaches. Duh!
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
There's an assumption that because of Byron's statement we'll be shooting far more 3's or less long 2's next year. That's not necessarily the case. It's possible he means defensive analytics. The Grizzles for example have the godfather of advanced stats running their team and year after year put zero emphasis on pace or 3-point shooting.

There's no indication that even if Byron wanted to raise the number of threes, he would know how to achieve it. We were among the league leaders last year in pull up 3's, 3's after several dribble, 3's after holding the ball in place for several seconds, and contested 3's.

These are the kind you generally don't want to take (unless you seem to be talented at it like Russell), and that any team can get if they really wanted to.

The main benefit of analytics likely will be to cut down on the dumb decisions based on "gut feel", or on "that's the way we've always done it". Baby steps. Start with the crappy clock management and late game foul management and then move on to more important things, like the horrible lineups..

I was just looking at our 5-man units from last season on 82games.com. Not surprisingly our two worst lineups were the ones by far used the most. Yes, both had Kobe.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject:

It's great bscott is on board. Franchise is on the way back up. Analytics is great to look at when you have good players. We finally have some decent players. People will probably point to analytics for our improvement when it's the talent. But dlo was drafted because of his analytics
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

yes but they also have good management to back that up

Yes, but the good management might have also been what got their teams into SportVu usage and related analytics earlier than other teams in the league.

Hopefully everything is correct on the following Post Season results for recent years...

Eastern Finals
Heat beat Bulls

Western Finals
Mavericks beat Thunder

Finals
Mavericks beat Miami

Eastern Finals
Heat beat Celtics

Western Finals
Thunder beat Spurs

Finals
Heat beat Thunder

Eastern Finals
Heat beat Pacers

Western Finals
Spurs beat Grizzlies

Finals
Heat beat Spurs

Eastern Finals
Heat beat Pacers

Western Finals
Spurs beat Thunder

Finals
Spurs beat Miami

Eastern Finals
Cavaliers beat Hawks

Western Finals
Warriors beat Rockets

Finals
Warriors beat Cavaliers

Hoops 2.0: Inside the NBA’s Data-Driven Revolution

Quote:
Kopp set out to approach those teams he felt would be most receptive to new technology: “It’s not like we offered this to all 30 teams.” Those charter members — guinea pigs? — were the Houston Rockets, billionaire Mark Cuban’s Dallas Mavericks, the San Antonio Spurs and the Oklahoma City Thunder.

As it happens, the Golden State Warriors weren’t looking to become a part of the NBA’s semisecret pack of data-minded revolutionaries. Hell, Warriors fans were just happy enough to be rid of despised former owner Chris Cohan, who sold the team last summer to venture capitalist Joe Lacob (a partner at Kleiner Perkins for 24 years) and film producer Peter Guber.

Lacob’s 22-year-old son Kirk, the team’s newly minted director of basketball operations, brought a fresh face and youthful energy to the front office, while Schlenk provided experience and contacts. But it another member of this forward-thinking triumvirate who started the whole process with Stats.

In mid-October, opening night for the 2010-11 season was still 11 days away when Pat Sund, the team’s basketball operations coordinator and son of Atlanta Hawks general manager Rick Sund, found himself at the Northern California Symposium on Statistics and Operations Research in Sports. While there, taking in all the sports geekery one could expect to encounter at tiny Menlo College, he bumped into Dean Oliver, a former director of quantitative analysis for the NBA’s Denver Nuggets, who’s since become ESPN’s first-ever director of production analytics.

Oliver talked up the system to Sund, who took the info back to Schlenk and Kirk Lacob at Warriors HQ. Within weeks, the Warriors staff had contacted Stats and a technician was flown the 1,850 miles to scope out SportVU’s potential West Coast testing ground.

Redoing the recent Post Season results with the early wave of team using SportVu bolded.

Eastern Finals
Heat beat Bulls

Western Finals
Mavericks beat Thunder

Finals
Mavericks beat Miami

Eastern Finals
Heat beat Celtics

Western Finals
Thunder beat Spurs

Finals
Heat beat Thunder

Eastern Finals
Heat beat Pacers

Western Finals
Spurs beat Grizzlies

Finals
Heat beat Spurs

Eastern Finals
Heat beat Pacers

Western Finals
Spurs beat Thunder

Finals
Spurs beat Miami

Eastern Finals
Cavaliers beat Hawks

Western Finals
Warriors beat Rockets

Finals
Warriors beat Cavaliers

Of course the sample size is small and those teams had other factors in their favor beyond Analytics, but it does suggest that other teams might start think about examining the use of Analytics more closely.
allyoop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Scott aside, at least we finally picked up the shotgun.

Amen.

Was any of that on display in the Summer League (yes, you can make a case it's worthless)? Are they still committed to the Princeton offense? Will Kobe still have his blessing to basically do whatever he wants out there? It's all wait and see.

As long as Kobe has carte blanche to do whatever he wants and as long as B Scott is your coach, I don't see that the Lakers can improve in any way. I think the Lakers should tank again and go after the number one draft pick.

The front office needs to get their their head out of their a**. You don't pick up a guard when there's a franchise big man around. You can always trade for a guard but franchise Centers, they don't come along very often.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject:

I'm sure the signing of LBJ, Wade, and Bosh was all analytical? I think the tweaking of the roster afterwards was probably the analytical part.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject:

allyoop wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Amen.

Was any of that on display in the Summer League (yes, you can make a case it's worthless)? Are they still committed to the Princeton offense? Will Kobe still have his blessing to basically do whatever he wants out there? It's all wait and see.

As long as Kobe has carte blanche to do whatever he wants and as long as B Scott is your coach, I don't see that the Lakers can improve in any way. I think the Lakers should tank again and go after the number one draft pick.

The front office needs to get their their head out of their a**. You don't pick up a guard when there's a franchise big man around. You can always trade for a guard but franchise Centers, they don't come along very often.

Oh man, another one... I don't think Mitch could have made it any more clear:

Mitch Kupchak wrote:
You look around this building and you see (Wilt) Chamberlain and (Kareem Abdul-) Jabbar and you see Shaquille O’Neal’s (jerseys on the wall). Those were three pretty good centers, and there was a center available that we did not select...

You still need quality big men in this league. And if any of those players on the wall were available, we would’ve selected them, but they weren’t.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
I'm sure the signing of LBJ, Wade, and Bosh was all analytical? I think the tweaking of the roster afterwards was probably the analytical part.

Of course you pick up the best players you can. Those three were top 10 players. Then you combine that with a solid analytical department that helped them improve their games. The advanced stats told Lebron to stop taking long 2s and 3s and boom, he changed his game up for 2 rings.

Good players, good coaching, good management, good analytics department.

That's the recipe for the last 4 champs: Warriors, Spurs, Heat. All had that.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Of course you pick up the best players you can. Those three were top 10 players. Then you combine that with a solid analytical department that helped them improve their games. The advanced stats told Lebron to stop taking long 2s and 3s and boom, he changed his game up for 2 rings.

For sure. I'm sure the only analytics Miami was thinking about when they first got those three was mostly financial analytics

I do remember when Spo came out in the media and basically told LBJ to stop thinking he was Kobe I loved it!
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

No one ever said that. The same way no one said that signing LBJ, Wade, and Bosh was all strength training, having a medical staff, or taking a plane instead of a bus on road trips. But your franchise would be horribly backwards and handicapped competitively if you didn't have those things.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

No one ever said that. The same way no one said that signing LBJ, Wade, and Bosh was all strength training, having a medical staff, or taking a plane instead of a bus on road trips. But your franchise would be horribly backwards and handicapped competitively if you didn't have those things.

I get it bro, it really is just common sense to me.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

I get it bro, it really is just common sense to me.

Guess I had you confused with another poster .

Regarding the Heat, they are probably the only franchise with a head coach who actually spearheaded the team's analytics efforts himself.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject:

No one is saying that with terrible talent, "analytics" will magically turn that team into a juggernaut. Look at the 76ers.

Analytics is just one leg of the chair. Ownership, players, coaching, analytics, etc. When you take that leg out for no good reason, be wary of the wobble.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject:

I just want to say. I will miss this:

Believe me I understand this shot is probably the worse possible shot you can take in this situation. But Gawd I love Kobe for this.

They even did an interview with David Stern shortly after this where he basically said it was one of the most amazing shots he ever seen.

"Add insult to injury Kobe, I mean what a shot. You can't defend that."
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
allyoop wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
We could run Golden State's offense and Scott would still be the whipping boy here at LG this upcoming season.

When we inevitably don't make the playoffs, he'll be getting the brunt of criticism. Even though we don't have a top 8 roster in our conference.

It's hilarious b/c it's so blatantly obvious that the FO told Scott to shape up or get ready to be cut loose.

Still, Scott's inclinations (and for many in his same age group who played in the NBA) are to disregard useful analytics tools.

LOL yep! Remember this??

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/26/lakers-coach-byron-scott-i-dont-believe-in-analytics/

Seriously, who wants this clown to be the head coach of this increasingly clown ship?

Yeah there's another clown coach by the name of Pat Riley who's not a lover of analytics. I remember his comments a few years ago where he said; analytics guys “make me squeamy a little bit.” … Sorry.
Analytics is over hyped, give me great players and a coach that knows how to sell his system, when to use his players I will give you a successful team.
In baseball way over hyped, love the movie Trouble with the curve. Old scout using his eyes and knowledge of the game instead of some stupid analytical program to get it down right.

Quote:
Erik Spoelstra: We have a proprietary statistical database that we've had since I was an assistant coach. We developed it with our personal software writer for stats. He's based out of L.A. and his name is Shmuel Einstein.
When Pat [Riley] wanted to turn the corner statistically 10-plus years ago, he put me in charge of it with a blank canvas. So I figured he would be a good guy to hire since his name was Einstein.
E.S.: He always wanted to crunch numbers and look at different ways of doing it. So he met with me one time and said, "I want more information. I don't know exactly what. Find somebody who can write a program, and take it where you think it can go."
E.S.: Quite a bit. When I became head coach, I hired another guy that I've known for a long time, Bob Chaikin. He used to run a statistical database site and he runs simulations for me. So that's a little bit out of the box.

Yeah this Pat Riley;
It doesn't seem as though the Heat will fully embrace analytics anytime soon, as Riley said proponents of advance metrics "make me squeamy a little bit," Haberstroh tweets.
Scott comes from the old school of Riley, which is hard work and defense. Guys like Wooden who believe you out work your opponent, not number him to death..lol
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
allyoop wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

LOL yep! Remember this??

Quote:

Yeah this Pat Riley;
It doesn't seem as though the Heat will fully embrace analytics anytime soon, as Riley said proponents of advance metrics "make me squeamy a little bit," Haberstroh tweets.
Scott comes from the old school of Riley, which is hard work and defense. Guys like Wooden who believe you out work your opponent, not number him to death..lol

The Heat embrace analytics. And Riley approves of it. C'mon now.

And for that matter the Lakers do too, finally lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

Believe me I understand this shot is probably the worse possible shot you can take in this situation. But Gawd I love Kobe for this.

They even did an interview with David Stern shortly after this where he basically said it was one of the most amazing shots he ever seen.

The guy, in some respects (to me), is actually a little underrated.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

The guy, in some respects (to me), is actually a little underrated.

Agreed. I watched an NPZ video yesterday where Kobe scored 17 straight points for the Lakers against Seattle. They went from a deficit at the half to being up by like 10. He was only 20 years old. To end the run he made a nice assist in traffic to Shaq. One of the announcers was amazed by his scoring ability but could only keep harping on how he thought Kobe should get his teammates involved more.

I'm like dude this guys just scored 17 in a row and got his team the lead! What more do you want? smh. Story of his career.

Sorry. /endrant
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject:

allyoop wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Amen.

There was?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

And analytics will help a GM determine what players fit together. There have been other big name groupings that haven't won titles because their games were not complimentary.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
allyoop wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Amen.

There was?

FWIW, name the last title won by a team whose best player was a franchise big?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10
Jump to: