Robert sacre is the 2nd longest surviving 60th NBA pick.... the first is.......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Robert sacre is the 2nd longest surviving 60th NBA pick.... the first is.......

Isiah Thomas of the damn celtics. In fact Of the 25 players who became the draft's final selection, only ten ever played a minute in the NBA: 1990's Sean Higgins; 1994's Zeljko Rebraca; 1995's Don Reid; 1998's Macceo Baston; 2002's Corsley Edwards; 2003's Andreas Glyniadakis; 2005's Alex Acker; 2006's Will Blalock; and 2008's Semih Erden and 2012 Robert sacre And from these 10 guys, only one has started more games in their career than Isaiah Thomas did last season and that is Robert sacre — , whose PER was only 10.8 over the course of his career. Besides him, Rebraca and Higgins are the only guys who have started more than 20 games, with 22 and 27 respectively.

Last edited by 999 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject:

Although sacre is getting paid no more than your average county medical doctor I wonder if his involvement with the team is hurting the lakers more. Due to his failing production on the court

Last edited by 999 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject:

I do not get the continued negativity of Sacre. Some of it downright hateful. Not sure what realistic expectations some of you have for him or any bench center.

He is a solid backup Center. Nothing special. Not a starter. Just a role player for 12-15mpg at best. And he is on a minimal contract for under a million a year.

He works hard, makes the right play when in and is supportive when on the bench. Even if the Lakers can add another center to the rotation, keeping Sacre as a 3rd string player is not the end of the world.

Until there is a clear cut upgrade I am comfortable with Sacre in that role.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I do not get the continued negativity of Sacre. Some of it downright hateful. Not sure what realistic expectations some of you have for him or any bench center.

He is a solid backup Center. Nothing special. Not a starter. Just a role player for 12-15mpg at best. And he is on a minimal contract for under a million a year.

He works hard, makes the right play when in and is supportive when on the bench. Even if the Lakers can add another center to the rotation, keeping Sacre as a 3rd string player is not the end of the world.

As I was rereading my post I feel like the negativity is more towards Jim buss than Robert. I was just stating a fact that he is the longest last pick in the draft ever behind Thomas and his production on the court is sub par at best
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Although sacre is getting paid no more than your average county medical doctor I wonder if his involvement with the team is hurting the lakers more. Due to his failing production on the court

County docs don't make that much. Actually hardly any doc even most surgeons don't not make that much.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

As I was rereading my post I feel like the negativity is more towards Jim buss than Robert. I was just stating a fact that he is the longest last pick in the draft ever behind Thomas and his production on the court is sub par at best

Does it matter where he was drafted? Sacre is still in the League and is simply a capable but not exciting young backup. Just another 2nd/3rd string center for the minimum. Although I would rate him slightly more productive then many others around the league with similar descriptions.

And correct me if my memory is wrong. But I was responding to your second post that ended with something like "he sucks". It was edited and erased so perhaps I am wrong.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

This is just absurd and pointlessly negative. If anything we should be praising both Sacre and the front office for making the best out of a 60th pick. To suggest that Robert Sacre is actively hurting the Lakers is asinine.

I'm not even a huge Sacre fan or anything, and would cut him in favor of Upshaw or another prospect, but that doesn't mean we have to rude.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject:

I have no issue with Sacre being our 13th man, unless we can sign someone better (which in this case we can right now). He's never complained once about his role on the team and has always played with energy and enthusiasm and is completely comfortable with the media. A majority of NBA players have huge egos and would object to being the 13th man on a team, but Sacre has never complained once even though we've been terrible.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
I have no issue with Sacre being our 13th man, unless we can sign someone better (which in this case we can right now). He's never complained once about his role on the team and has always played with energy and enthusiasm and is completely comfortable with the media. A majority of NBA players have huge egos and would object to being the 13th man on a team, but Sacre has never complained once even though we've been terrible.

At this point that is a big assumption IMO.

I am assuming you are referring to Upshaw or McGee as "better". I am not sure either is.

Not a fan of signing McGee because of how truly bad a basketball player he is. And I have still not seen/heard anything to make me believe he is healthy enough to play.

And the fact remains that Upshaw has not been signed. I keep seeing references to "possible issues in Vegas" but no details. His issues are bigger then his play on the court at this point. And it may ruin his career before it starts.

At the moment the Lakers centers are Hibbert and Sacre. Maybe add Black as the undersized small ball center. Not great but servicable backup options.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Does it matter where he was drafted? Sacre is still in the League and is simply a capable but not exciting young backup. Just another 2nd/3rd string center for the minimum. Although I would rate him slightly more productive then many others around the league with similar descriptions.

And correct me if my memory is wrong. But I was responding to your second post that ended with something like "he sucks". It was edited and erased so perhaps I am wrong.

It was kind of a blanket statement to say he sucks when he does have some good qualities which I quickly realized.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

jtorrebl wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

County docs don't make that much. Actually hardly any doc even most surgeons don't not make that much.

Aww your right.... well I guess private plastic surgeon to the rich and famous not your average doctor than LOL
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

His P&R defense is far from subpar, but sometimes fans can't peel back the layers of the onion.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

Sacre is the worst player in the NBA. He should not be on the team still.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
Sacre is the worst player in the NBA. He should not be on the team still.

Really? Worse than Mike Muscala? Or Justin Holiday? Or Terran Petteway? And that is just one other NBA team. It is easy to make blanket statements, but something totally different when thought is required. I realize you like to bag on Laker players, but to do so on a Laker board without supporting your douchness is reason to be called out. Prove it hater.
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

This is just absurd and pointlessly negative. If anything we should be praising both Sacre and the front office for making the best out of a 60th pick. To suggest that Robert Sacre is actively hurting the Lakers is asinine.

I'm not even a huge Sacre fan or anything, and would cut him in favor of Upshaw or another prospect, but that doesn't mean we have to rude.

Umm how is he being rude? I think some people are being too sensitive.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

His P&R defense is far from subpar, but sometimes fans can't peel back the layers of the onion.

the first one is more of a screen and roll but the one harden did on him... Oh vey!!!!

Last edited by 999 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject:

this pretty much summed up the lakers season under Byron Scott

undefeatedAJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Sacre sucks. Not the worst but dude is terrible. Hopefully he plays better and has improved.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:

What most NBA clubs need from a third string center is a willing practice player who shows up for practice and games daily, one who keeps his off court problems out of the coach's sight, and who remains positive even when getting 4 mpg on average during garbage time. The Lakers are just starting to claw back from the cellar presumably. Unless they want Ryan Hollins (no better a player really), there's not much of an upgrade floating around, and frankly, none who'd make a difference on this campaign.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Had no idea he's an NBA version of NFL's 'Mr.Irrelevant' -- though he's no Ryan Succop. Congrats.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject:

I continue to be amazed at the hate for a guy who has far and away surpassed any expectations for his draft position. Yeah, compared to an average NBA, he is bad. Average NBA players are not picked 60th in the draft. Those guys rarely stick around very long if they even make the team their first year. As 70sDude pointed out, he's a good practice player, he doesn't cause problems and he's a warm body to throw out there when you're depleted due to injury.

3rd string players and guys picked at the end of the draft are supposed to suck. I am not sure why this continues to be a surprise to anyone. If you had to pick some other 7 ft warm body for the vet minimum to be your 3rd string center he is also going to suck. You will not get all-star, nor even average for that depth or pay.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

I am assuming you are referring to Upshaw or McGee as "better". I am not sure either is.

Not a fan of signing McGee because of how truly bad a basketball player he is. And I have still not seen/heard anything to make me believe he is healthy enough to play.

And the fact remains that Upshaw has not been signed. I keep seeing references to "possible issues in Vegas" but no details. His issues are bigger then his play on the court at this point. And it may ruin his career before it starts.

At the moment the Lakers centers are Hibbert and Sacre. Maybe add Black as the undersized small ball center. Not great but servicable backup options.

I'm not a fan of signing McGee either. I do realize that there's risks to signing Upshaw, but players like him as well as Holmes have more of a chance of making a positive impact on the team in a few years from now.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
The Logo wrote:

I'm not a fan of signing McGee either. I do realize that there's risks to signing Upshaw, but players like him as well as Holmes have more of a chance of making a positive impact on the team in a few years from now.

I continue to hope that Upshaw can earn the roster spot. Just not sure if he will. Seems to be more of an issue then just talent and potential. I am going to assume they are deeper then any of us are realizing.

I would be pretty happy at this point if the Center rotation is Hibbert, Sacre and Upshaw. With Black playing PF mpg and center in certain small ball line ups.

Those three "bigs" have legitimate size and skills to play the position. Actually think Hibbert can help both Sacre and Upshaw improve on defense.

As for Holmes. I am excited by the signing. Going to be interesting to see if he can make the transition to the Pros. He has the skills to be the defensive SF the Lakers desperately need.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Time to cut ties. He's done a good job holding down the 3rd string center position.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

the first one is more of a screen and roll but the one harden did on him... Oh vey!!!!

I will ignore your cherry picked video clips and rely on the analytics. 0.81 ppp on rolls is not subpar.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: