anyone else excited all the young assets Mitch accumulated?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject:

What I have actually seen is an upgrade of talent for a decimated rebuilding team. I see several inexperienced players that have the potential to be impact players in the League. When or even if they do remains to be seen.

Much will depend on how much patience and expectations of the Lakers and the fans will have in their ability to grow together. It will take time for 19 year old players to develop. Or for 2nd year guys to be considered professionals in the best sense of the word.

Much will depend on if the Lakers can be patient enough to allow the foundation players to create a team identity and player chemistry. Consider how many teams have stable core rosters for years before they compete.

I understand many want the Lebron super team approach in building a team. Just do not think it is realistic. Personally I will enjoy the process as this core group develops over the next couple of years. I only hope the front office does not get caught up in it's own hype and continue making stupid impatient moves to appease the fans and media. The constant shuffling of HCs and players over the past five years is what produced the horrible results we all endured last season.

I actually see a future with this group. If they consistently develop a marquee free agent will sign. But the Lakers have to show some continuity and identity first.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
What I have actually seen is an upgrade of talent for a decimated rebuilding team. I see several inexperienced players that have the potential to be impact players in the League. When or even if they do remains to be seen.

Much will depend on how much patience and expectations of the Lakers and the fans will have in their ability to grow together. It will take time for 19 year old players to develop. Or for 2nd year guys to be considered professionals in the best sense of the word.

Much will depend on if the Lakers can be patient enough to allow the foundation players to create a team identity and player chemistry. Consider how many teams have stable core rosters for years before they compete.

I understand many want the Lebron super team approach in building a team. Just do not think it is realistic. Personally I will enjoy the process as this core group develops over the next couple of years. I only hope the front office does not get caught up in it's own hype and continue making stupid impatient moves to appease the fans and media. The constant shuffling of HCs and players over the past five years is what produced the horrible results we all endured last season.

I actually see a future with this group. If they consistently develop a marquee free agent will sign. But the Lakers have to show some continuity and identity first.

This right here. This is the key to everything for the Lakers

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Not so excited. Frankly, I've seen very little to get my hopes up.

Wish for the best though.

While you're laughing, ask yourself what you have actually seen so far.

1. You saw Randle log about 13 minutes before his leg gave out.
2. You saw Clarkson get significant minutes when the team decided to tank the season.
3. You some terrible Summer League ball where the only guy who looked good was Clarkson.

And what we saw is not what we are going to see in the future. You might lack vision, but others do not. We don't need these guys to be superstars, just NBA players. Some will make it and some won't, but it is much more impressive than watching vets on their last leg play.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

Rather than feel excitement, I feel encouragement.

At this point, that alone is a sweet change !

There are three possible new starters all having one year experience or less on the club and in the league. Randle, Russell, Clarkson together represent to me some high potential as a future trio in support of an eventual championship run. I sense that they - at best - represent a reasonable shot for the type and level of future impact that we saw from the Wilkes, Nixon and Cooper unit, way back when. Obviously, we are lacking gobs of proven star power (with apologies to Kobe Bryant), nothing even close to the Kareem/Magic star system under which the old trio flourished.

There's a way to go yet. This team will be better than last year. I like the three mentioned for potential. We'll see how it starts to work out.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject:

Everyone needs to be patient. The young ones will need time to learn how to win games. The first evolution is being able to compete in the NBA (Clarkson, check, DLO and Randle's turn coming up).

Then you need a few more evolutions before you get to winning rings. It'll be fun to watch them grow, but fasten your seatbelts. It may be a few years.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

2. You saw Clarkson get significant minutes when the team decided to tank the season.
3. You some terrible Summer League ball where the only guy who looked good was Clarkson.

And what we saw is not what we are going to see in the future. You might lack vision, but others do not. We don't need these guys to be superstars, just NBA players. Some will make it and some won't, but it is much more impressive than watching vets on their last leg play.
I personally think that D'Angelo has all the makings to be a top 5 player in the league. If you look beyond the stats and the bull (bleep) summer league games, you can see just how much talent this kid has.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject:

No, not really. He took a little bit of a risk in drafting Russell instead of Okufor, but we have yet to see how that'll pan out. I didn't see anything that Mitch did this off-season that was all that impressive TBH. Now, if by X-mas we're several games above .500 then I'll change my mind...but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
No, not really. He took a little bit of a risk in drafting Russell instead of Okufor, but we have yet to see how that'll pan out. I didn't see anything that Mitch did this off-season that was all that impressive TBH. Now, if by X-mas we're several games above .500 then I'll change my mind...but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

Frankly, I never pegged this season as the one to make the playoffs. My expectations for playoffs are actually more like 2017, since 2016 is a crapshoot FA wise.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

I personally think that D'Angelo has all the makings to be a top 5 player in the league. If you look beyond the stats and the bull (bleep) summer league games, you can see just how much talent this kid has.

I don't think so, but I sure hope you are right. I think he can be an important part of a title team though, and I am excited to see how he and the other young players develop over the course of the year.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
s

You have seriously high expectations of judging progress.

If the lakers can play competitive .500 ball I will be thrilled. Several games over would be one of the best turnarounds in nba history and likely in the playoffs.
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

I like his new mind set to get young players. Ive always loved the Packers model of building a team through the draft with only a few exceptions.

I dont like signing/resigning players over 30, unless theyre stars. Always look to the future dont live in the past i.e. dont trade 1st round picks and sign young free agents you can mold.

Best move mitch made last year was the lin trade were we picked up an extra 1st rd pick, It really was an amazing move, robbed them blind. Now he is looking @ all these undrafted players, finally thinking outside the box..

Its why i hate the Love for Wiggins trade, the cavs were and are better off never taking that risk. Just a bad move, just think of all the money they would be saving and could give to another player.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

The days of championship or bust seasons are over. It's development time. Doesn't have the excitement of a contending team but exciting none the less.
Agent P
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Hard working lunch pail types that desire greatness. You don't have to question Russell or Clarkson in the work ethic area.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:

I wanted to rebuild after the Mavs swept us in the playoffs. I knew then it was over. Kobe and Pau were past their prime but the FO still decided to build around an aging Kobe.

Now were in a youth movement and they're fortunate to have Randle, Russell, and Clarkson to build around.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
I wanted to rebuild after the Mavs swept us in the playoffs. I knew then it was over. Kobe and Pau were past their prime but the FO still decided to build around an aging Kobe.

Now were in a youth movement and they're fortunate to have Randle, Russell, and Clarkson to build around.

The FO wanted Dr. Buss to pass the Celtics in total titles before he passed away.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
Not really. I am happy with the talents that Randle and Clarkson have displayed. I am concerned about the lack of athleticism of Russell. Black is a great locker room presence but he is only an adequate role player. Kelly and Sacre are goners. I was once excited by the potential of Kelly but it appears that we have developed him the wrong way (Kelly at 3? Seriously?).

Jabari seems to be a decent player. I will go as far as saying that he has late first round talent. But a late first round talent will not save a franchise. Upshaw and Holmes were undrafted for a reason. Holmes was only 33 on Lakers' board.

Anthony seems destined for mediocrity. We are at best getting a James Jones-esque career out of him. I would consider that a lottery if he can emulate James Jones' career. It is highly unlikely.

Nance has the greatest variance. His athleticism and skillset seems to suggest that he can be the next Draymond Green, but he can also be the next Joe Alexander. I am very skepitcal about his shooting mechanics. If he can't shoot, he won't even get a chance to see the court.

All in all ... cautiously optimistic. All depends on how our top 3 guys pan out, and whether one of the rest can surprise us like Clarkson did.

Well thought out post, cautiously optimistic is about right
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

The FO wanted Dr. Buss to pass the Celtics in total titles before he passed away.
I get it but that wasn't possible with an aging Kobe and Pau. It was risky because of the draft picks but we were lucky to keep the pick. The FO learned a valuable lesson after trading for Nash and Howard.
Power Gasol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Dumb question, dumb thread.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

And what we saw is not what we are going to see in the future. You might lack vision, but others do not. We don't need these guys to be superstars, just NBA players.

Some will make it and some won't, but it is much more impressive than
watching vets on their last leg play.

That's the bottom line.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

And what we saw is not what we are going to see in the future. You might lack vision, but others do not. We don't need these guys to be superstars, just NBA players.

Some will make it and some won't, but it is much more impressive than
watching vets on their last leg play.

That's the bottom line.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

I get it but that wasn't possible with an aging Kobe and Pau. It was risky because of the draft picks but we were lucky to keep the pick. The FO learned a valuable lesson after trading for Nash and Howard.

Not really, they would do it again in the same circumstance.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

For him to be a top 5, he needs to improve his shooting, dribbling and passing to all time great level, ala Steve Nash. It is not impossible, but the odds aren't in his favor. I will be ecstatic if my boy can become a top 5 SG or PG.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I am not sure stinking it up for two years straight and essentially lucking into your own lottery pick due to hubris/incompetence is cause for celebration.

They need Randle and/or Russell to come up big. Otherwise, it is an unmitigated disaster.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Everyone needs to be patient. The young ones will need time to learn how to win games. The first evolution is being able to compete in the NBA (Clarkson, check, DLO and Randle's turn coming up).

Then you need a few more evolutions before you get to winning rings. It'll be fun to watch them grow, but fasten your seatbelts. It may be a few years.

It is 3-4 year project. The sooner all Lakers fans realize this, the better for their own sake.

The target for the next two years is to develop this new wave of players we have.

My only concern is, do we have the right coaching stuff for this?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject:

Power Gasol wrote:
Dumb question, dumb thread.

What an amazing post, really deep man.

Next time you have another gem like this how about you keep it to yourself.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: