anyone else excited all the young assets Mitch accumulated?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject:

Kobe, Kelly and Sacre... 3 roster spots open next season
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:

said before i'm definitely excited but in a 2 to 3 season way.

Next season will be one of the best performances (for a guy about to retire) leading a 2nd all-ncaa/d-leaguer squad in the nba.

our "vets" are a low value chucker that can't be traded and a headcase C that was threatened into opting out. Although both have upsides.

If history rings true, the part i'm excited about is seeing what happens when the youth has the opportunity to cash-in, will they end up being worth that much, will we move them while they're worth a lot but on cheap contracts...

There's such a huge resemblance to the NVE, jones, vidac, butler squad here. If clarkson/dlo/hibbert/randle come close to that.. excited indeed.
LakerRush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

Coming off a season where tanking was the focus, I'm thirsty for these young guys to start the process of making a name for themselves, both individually and as a group. I want to be glued to my tv again for each and every game, waiting for that no-look pass by Russell, ferocious drive-by dunk by Randle, or steal and finish by Clarkson. Even more so, however, I'm excited for these young guys to bring respectability back to the Lakers brand, which will come in winning games against top tier teams on a consistent basis. Let's get to work!
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject:

I was more more excitable on draft day before the Lakers made their pick; I was afraid the Lakers would select Okafor or Mudiay. I'm happy they went with Russell.

IMO, he's the right guy for a rebuild, a solid pick for the lead guard job for the long term view. He's not someone who's gonna create instant excitement and immediate turnaround in fortune for the club, and that's OK too. Moving in the right direction.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerRush wrote:
Coming off a season where tanking was the focus, I'm thirsty for these young guys to start the process of making a name for themselves, both individually and as a group. I want to be glued to my tv again for each and every game, waiting for that no-look pass by Russell, ferocious drive-by dunk by Randle, or steal and finish by Clarkson. Even more so, however, I'm excited for these young guys to bring respectability back to the Lakers brand, which will come in winning games against top tier teams on a consistent basis. Let's get to work!

The only thing I got from your message.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject:

It's hard to get excited about anything anymore. Not since D'Angelo Russell's impression of Kobe.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
It's hard to get excited about anything anymore. Not since D'Angelo Russell's impression of Kobe.

With Russell's impersonation of Kobe, Randle not having a heart, and Clarkson being a selfish black hole, I can't get excited for anything.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
ocho wrote:

With Russell's impersonation of Kobe, Randle not having a heart, and Clarkson being a selfish black hole, I can't get excited for anything.

I'm just trying to figure out if black is a center 😉
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
Not really. I am happy with the talents that Randle and Clarkson have displayed. I am concerned about the lack of athleticism of Russell. Black is a great locker room presence but he is only an adequate role player. Kelly and Sacre are goners. I was once excited by the potential of Kelly but it appears that we have developed him the wrong way (Kelly at 3? Seriously?).

Jabari seems to be a decent player. I will go as far as saying that he has late first round talent. But a late first round talent will not save a franchise. Upshaw and Holmes were undrafted for a reason. Holmes was only 33 on Lakers' board.

Anthony seems destined for mediocrity. We are at best getting a James Jones-esque career out of him. I would consider that a lottery if he can emulate James Jones' career. It is highly unlikely.

Nance has the greatest variance. His athleticism and skillset seems to suggest that he can be the next Draymond Green, but he can also be the next Joe Alexander. I am very skepitcal about his shooting mechanics. If he can't shoot, he won't even get a chance to see the court.

All in all ... cautiously optimistic. All depends on how our top 3 guys pan out, and whether one of the rest can surprise us like Clarkson did.

well said.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Anthony's potential as a 3 & D player is NOT mediocrity. If every his size could excel at those two things Demarre Carroll and Danny Green would not be making what they are.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
The Logo wrote:
ocho wrote:

I'm just trying to figure out if black is a center 😉

Clarkson's pitch last night sets the franchise back another three years.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

i thought mitch cupcake wasn't a good gm...lol.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject:

When Kobe or DLo get a rebound watch out for Randle and Clarkson in transition.

I think Clarkson is a guy where his efficiency on the offensive side of the ball may fall a bit? I hope he will play better D and surely that will take away from his offense a bit? Also sharing the rock with Kobe, DLo, and Randle he will not have free reign like the end of last season. I could see his numbers going up a bit especially in the scoring department, but his effeciency may not be as good? He will have to find his spots on this team I think.

I know he is like the veteran but Kobe will get first dibbs. Then it will be Clarkson, Randle, then DLo. Alot of sharing has to happen for them to be decent.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:

nice to see some positive thoughts on here. I stopped reading these boards with all the DLo bashing.

We've got a fun, exciting core going forward, Julius, DLo and Clarkson, maybe one of these other guys breaks out and become part of that core like Nance or Anthony Brown coming off the bench. Maybe Hibbert is reinvigorated, Lou Williams provides a boost off the bench, they have an exciting year and then we pick up another 2-3 core type guys next offseason and away we go. I'm looking forward to seeing these guys grow into their roles over the next few years.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Could Clarkson go: 22pts 8assts 5rebs on 44fg% 33%3pt if given the complete reigns as the primary ball handler? Or even a dominant secondary ball handler, behind Kobe?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
Could Clarkson go: 22pts 8assts 5rebs on 44fg% 33%3pt if given the complete reigns as the primary ball handler? Or even a dominant secondary ball handler, behind Kobe?

Unlikely. But possible.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

Primary? Hard time seeing that this year with Kobe and even DLO.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

To be fair, that wasn't his question though. He caveated it with the "if".
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Sure but that's like "if healthy."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Correct. But if someone asked you how many minutes/ppg/fg% Kobe should be expected to average if he stays healthy, "He won't" isn't really a productive response. Being an iffy hypothetical is already assumed in the question.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

No. I don't think those numbers are a stretch, though. I think very highly of Clarkson. I'd be happy with something like: 15-16 ppg, 4 assists, 4 rebounds, and the same shooting statistics you mentioned.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

I think we may see a drop in Clarkson's FG% based on the more off ball role.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Correct. But if someone asked you how many minutes/ppg/fg% Kobe should be expected to average if he stays healthy, "He won't" isn't really a productive response. Being an iffy hypothetical is already assumed in the question.

Well the second part of the iffy hypothetical where he is the secondary ball handler likely doesn't yield those numbers. A lot more targets this year than last when clarkson balled. Not sure the points scored pie will grow sufficiently enough for him to get those numbers regardless of primary or secondary ball handler status.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I think we may see a drop in Clarkson's FG% based on the more off ball role.

I think so too. But his ppg may go up? It really just depends all on how much Kobe plays?
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Well the second part of the iffy hypothetical where he is the secondary ball handler likely doesn't yield those numbers. A lot more targets this year than last when clarkson balled. Not sure the points scored pie will grow sufficiently enough for him to get those numbers regardless of primary or secondary ball handler status.

The reason I asked this question is because those are Russell Westbrook third year numbers. He was the primary ball handler, but a dominant second option behind Durant.

Westbrook had more experience but Clarkson is older? I don't expect this from Clarkson, but these are the kind of numbers I would like to see from him (post Kobe?).

Honestly those numbers might be a ceiling for Clarkson? Westbrook has since surpassed this. The thing is, yinoma might be right? With DLo on the team Clarkson may never even reach this potential (mainly the assists)? 22/4/4 might be Clarkson's ceiling on this team (if we are to be successful in the future)? Really want to see him develop into a quality defender!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: