The League should be embarrassed that Yao and McGrady are on the AS Team
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: The League should be embarrassed that Yao and McGrady are on the AS Team

Something should be done to negate the votes of the billion or so Chinese, and the rest of us for that matter. No way that either of these losing, underperforming China dolls belong in the league marquee event.
DiehardLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

well the All Star game is mostly a popularity contest
junebug
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject:

DiehardLakerFan wrote:

You are right. I don't understand why people are bothered.
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Not to sound out of line or anything, but none of these teams represent China. All are American except for one, it should be what the actual people who watch most of the games think not just China which watches only the Rockets.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

junebug wrote:
DiehardLakerFan wrote:

The Dunk Contest should be a popularity contest. The all star game should be the best players in the league playing together. It certainly shouldn't be the guys with the most Chinese votes.
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The League should be embarrassed that Yao and McGrady are on the AS Team

OdomX2 wrote:
Something should be done to negate the votes of the billion or so Chinese, and the rest of us for that matter. No way that either of these losing, underperforming China dolls belong in the league marquee event.

Its funny how the slightest comment in the "Exerpt from Kobe's Dime Article" thread made everyone racist, but so far here no has alleged anyone of being racist yet?
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The League should be embarrassed that Yao and McGrady are on the AS Team

K8KillerInstinct wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:

Its funny how the slightest comment in the "Exerpt from Kobe's Dime Article" thread made everyone racist, but so far here no has alleged anyone of being racist yet?

For the record, I was referring to Yao and T-Cry's propensity for injury.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

I am surprised Jordan is not still starting.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

If he were on the ballot, and had the last name M-JO and played with Ming, he'd be starting.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

If he were on the ballot, and had the last name M-JO and played with Ming, he'd be starting.

Frankly, come to think of it, I would rather see Mike start instead of TMac.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The League should be embarrassed that Yao and McGrady are on the AS Team

OdomX2 wrote:

Please tell me that you don't really believe that everyone in China votes on this.

You do realize that Yao got more physical AS votes (votes actually cast at an NBA arena) than Shaq a couple years back, don't you?

Xenophobia. Look it up.
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Frankly, come to think of it, I would rather see Mike start instead of TMac.
everyone would. except China that is.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
junebug wrote:
DiehardLakerFan wrote:

The Dunk Contest should be a popularity contest. The all star game should be the best players in the league playing together. It certainly shouldn't be the guys with the most Chinese votes.

unless im mistaken, arent Yao and Tmac some of the best players in the league?
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The League should be embarrassed that Yao and McGrady are on the AS Team

Hector the Pup wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:

Please tell me that you don't really believe that everyone in China votes on this.

You do realize that Yao got more physical AS votes (votes actually cast at an NBA arena) than Shaq a couple years back, don't you?

Xenophobia. Look it up.

Go ahead and factor in the percentage of 1 BILLION it would take for Yao and T-Wong to get an all star start...not much...or is it your contention that both DESERVE the nod?
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
junebug wrote:
DiehardLakerFan wrote:

Are you being serious with this? You do realize that Yao is the starting center without any Chinese votes whatsoever, right?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject:

yao just plain and simple does not deserve to be on any all star team.
astrallionheart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Apparently since neither averages 30/20, they aren't good enough to be allstars.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:

My contention is that the fans voted for them and I doubt that even a fraction of their votes came from China.

You expressing outrage over this is what's shocking. This has happened every year - the fans vote in stars on teams that suck and/or stars that are too injured to play. It happened before a single Chinese player put on an NBA uniform. How many times did VC or Grant Hill get voted on as starters in the past few years?

The game has gone global as has the voting, but a majority of the votes are still cast right here in the US.

It happens every year and it will continue to happen as long as the fans have a say.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Nothing wrong with Tmac and Yao being on the all-star team.
junebug
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
My contention is that the fans voted for them and I doubt that even a fraction of their votes came from China.
You expressing outrage over this is what's shocking. This has happened every year - the fans vote in stars on teams that suck and/or stars that are too injured to play. It happened before a single Chinese player put on an NBA uniform. How many times did VC or Grant Hill get voted on as starters in the past few years?

The game has gone global as has the voting, but a majority of the votes are still cast right here in the US.

It happens every year and it will continue to happen as long as the fans have a say.

I absolutely agree with you.
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:

What centers in the west would you replace him with??

And Yao's numbers are identical to Shaq's, how come I don't see anybody crying that Shaq doesn't deserve to be in the game? It seems like everybody wants to cry about the Chinese getting votes every year. But this really isn't a big deal. This happens every year, it's happened long before Yao came into the league. I don't know how many times Vince Carter or Grant Hill was voted into the game when they didn't deserve it, and sometimes Grant Hill wasn't even playing because of injury. It's really not a big deal.
The Future 12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Because the all star game is used to prove someones worth the fans should not vote on it.

People use All star appearances to justify HOF votes.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:

I could see the need for a minimum games played clause, where players could be declared ineligible if they haven't reached that number by the break.

But in this case, starting with Yao Ming, who would the casual fan vote for as starter in his place?

Those who watch more closely might pick someone like camby (who himself has been injury-ridden) -- but in this case, China aside -- who would they vote for?

T-Mac has a lot of fans. That he outdrew Duncan and Garnett boggles my mind. He does have the #1 selling jersey in china, but all this is just guesswork. A secret Chinese government project to keep voting in Ming could be arugued on a conspiracy board, but T-Mac?

I agree that its a shame they were voted in as starters. But I've long given up on the idea that the All Star game starters are the top five. The All-NBA team is for that -- and people even question those selections at times.

So the NBA All Star game is for the fans, they made that call years ago...so its a vote. And if you lose the vote, you have to accept who won -- even though you don't like it. Democracy in action.

Years back (as I've read) when the NBA picked the all stars they tried making sure one was picked from each team (back when there were a lot less teams) That wasn't really fair either.

Like it or not, the current team is the best way to let fans say who they want to see on the floor. I think for many people, it lets them feels some sense of ownership for the choices..the only one they really have.

As a frsutrated observer of colege football rankings, and other media -selected lists...I really don't believe they are all that much better sometimes.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Sidious wrote:
da ocho wrote:

What centers in the west would you replace him with??

And Yao's numbers are identical to Shaq's, how come I don't see anybody crying that Shaq doesn't deserve to be in the game? I

heres one
re4ee wrote:
Is Shaq enev the best center on his team? Shaq's MVP is Zo Mourning!

i myself dont think either of them deserve to be there.now if it was the DL all start game...
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Four billion chinese can't be wrong.

I always say.

SGH

P.S. That's a joke for all those with a surgically-removed humor gland.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: