The League should be embarrassed that Yao and McGrady are on the AS Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFan4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject:

How in the hell is Garnett or Marion NOT starting at forward and Duncan at C?
Den686
Rookie
Rookie

Sidious wrote:
da ocho wrote:
yao just plain and simple does not deserve to be on any all star team.

What centers in the west would you replace him with??

And Yao's numbers are identical to Shaq's, how come I don't see anybody crying that Shaq doesn't deserve to be in the game? It seems like everybody wants to cry about the Chinese getting votes every year. But this really isn't a big deal. This happens every year, it's happened long before Yao came into the league. I don't know how many times Vince Carter or Grant Hill was voted into the game when they didn't deserve it, and sometimes Grant Hill wasn't even playing because of injury. It's really not a big deal.

Ditto.
And dont forget that you have to pick 5 players in different positions to complete the ballot. Is not like if you picked Yao and therefore cant pick Kobe. I believe that a lot of Chinese voters picked Kobe too for him to be the second highest to beat Snaq.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yao is stealing Brand's spot.

The front court should be:

SF: Marion
PF: Brand
C: Duncan

Elton and Matrix got robbed.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject:

There's one other small explanation for Yao and TMac making the starting roster...

The freaking All Star Game is in freaking HOUSTON

Just thought I'd mention that.
kobeodom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:

i believe yao is a 20/10/2blk guy (i didnt check), that plays fairly tough, and that is loved by NOT JUST CHINESE FANS around the world. yao, if he were in the old days, would not deserve a start. but look, who else in the west at the c position could start? i could think of one over yao, no more. and as for tmac, just because he is a moron on offense and does not know when to stop shooting the rock, dont mean he shouldnt go to the allstar. hes statistically pretty good, despite the injuries he got this season. and who would you put as sf over him? maybe kg or dirk, or i might be missing a few others. but not much more.

AND just to let you know, i am chinese, im not that offended at this thread for being called a "doll", but chinese fans not only like rockets. they like the lakers as a second choice. hope you realize that.

trying not to be offensive here, to any posts. just pointing things out.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
There's one other small explanation for Yao and TMac making the starting roster...

injustice is injustice
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

injustice is injustice

So what centers in the west should be on the all star team over Yao?
unpossibl1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject:

The Chinese votes obviously are a factor...remember Yao's rookie year when he started over Shaq?

This year, yeah Yao should be the starter at C. However, someone like Marion, Brand, Allen, Gasol, etc will be left off of the All Star team because Yao has a spot. If you were really picking a team based on talent, Duncan should be allowed to slide to the C spot and Yao kicked off to allow someone more deserving to be on the squad.

It's close though, if Yao had played the full season then I would say he definetely deserves an All Star spot. Does he deserve to get more votes than anyone else in the league? Hell no.

It seems that every year though the fans pick at least one completely undeserving player into the game. Last year (and a few before that) was Vince Carter. Yao was in as a rookie. Jamal Magloire was an All Star one year (although not by fan vote). This year it's Yao and TMac.

All we can do at this point is hope that Avery Johnson gives Yao and Tmac like 1 minute of playing time and then benches them in favor of Garnet and Marion or something...but with the game being in Houston I really doubt that will happen.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Then why wasn't Wang Zhi Zhi a perennial all star?
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject:

They don't deserve to be starting, after injuries and everything. Look at their team record too. Obviously shows they've been injured so they shouldn't be there. That's like putting Amare on the starting lineup.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Tough all around - especially forwards in the west, someone gets jobbed every year. Have you guys seen Stein's article on this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2317052

I think he makes pretty good choices with good explanations here.

Yao deserves this as much as anyone. The coaches will ensure Brand, Marion and Garnett get picked.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Yao and T-Mac are among the best players in the league. But Yao doesn't deserve all those votes. Nobody here can tell me that all the people from China that voted, didn't vote for Yao. We do have a lack of quality centers in the west, and Yao is probably the one for the job, but still, he doesn't deserve all those votes. If not for China, Kobe would be the leader in votes this year.

Not to mention, Yao had the most votes in All Star history last year. Not because he is that good, but because he was born in China.

.......I wonder what would happen if Kobe was born in China.
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Kobe has the most votes in your heart. It's funny, that Kobe realistically had the most votes. And people said that Kobe couldn't win the fans back. All it took was averaging 35 a game.
Nynuk
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The League should be embarrassed that Yao and McGrady are on the AS Team

OdomX2 wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
Something should be done to negate the votes of the billion or so Chinese, and the rest of us for that matter. No way that either of these losing, underperforming China dolls belong in the league marquee event.

Its funny how the slightest comment in the "Exerpt from Kobe's Dime Article" thread made everyone racist, but so far here no has alleged anyone of being racist yet?

For the record, I was referring to Yao and T-Cry's propensity for injury.

Yao had only missed something like 2 games in his career before this year. This season, he played on a hurt toe until it got so infected that he was in danger of losing it. He also had some of his best games in the week leading up to the point where he physically could not play on it anymore.
JimRaynor55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
Something should be done to negate the votes of the billion or so Chinese, and the rest of us for that matter. No way that either of these losing, underperforming China dolls belong in the league marquee event.

T-Mac and Yao deserve to go, because they're both top players in their positions. Team record is just about the most stunted way to pick All-Stars, and goes along with the faulty bandwagon thinking and "blame the star" mentality that is unfortunately so common today. A couple years ago when the Lakers started 12-19, did you think Kobe and Shaq didn't deserve to be All-Stars?

Ziggy wrote:
Yao is stealing Brand's spot.

The front court should be:

SF: Marion
PF: Brand
C: Duncan

Elton and Matrix got robbed.

Yao isn't stealing Garnett, Brand's, or anyone's spot. If you want to whine about this, then go after the system's position requirements, NOT Yao. A center is required no matter what. If Yao didn't exist, someone like Camby would be "stealing" KG's starting spot.

LAKERLVR wrote:
Not to sound out of line or anything, but none of these teams represent China. All are American except for one, it should be what the actual people who watch most of the games think not just China which watches only the Rockets.

Who cares if the Chinese vote for Yao? They're still fans, and their votes count just as much as yours. It's already been brought up before: Yao does NOT get voted in because of the Chinese vote. He's been winning in paper balloting as well. And do you think most American fans watch "most" of the games, instead of just following their home team or their favorite players?
JimRaynor55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject:

unpossibl1 wrote:
This year, yeah Yao should be the starter at C. However, someone like Marion, Brand, Allen, Gasol, etc will be left off of the All Star team because Yao has a spot. If you were really picking a team based on talent, Duncan should be allowed to slide to the C spot and Yao kicked off to allow someone more deserving to be on the squad.

Why is Yao being singled out? Two guards HAVE to be picked as reserves. My prediction is that one of them will be Parker or Ginobili. Are those guys better than Yao? Why isn't anyone saying that the reserve guard (whoever he turns out to be, he won't be as good as the WC forwards) should be kicked off as well?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject:

The All-star game is in Houston. It would be lame if at least one didn't go. I'd guess Yao will be the MVP.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject:

Am I supposed to be embarrassed, too? I voted for both, and guess what? I voted for Vince Carter, as well.
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject:

USA Population 295,734,134
Internet Usage Statistics:
203,824,428 Internet users as of Dec./2005, 68.1% of the population, according to Nielsen//NetRating

China Population 1,306,313,812 China Has 111 Million Internet Users
CNNIC Jan. 17, 2005 - By the end of 2005, the total number of Internet users in mainland China reached 111 million, a 17 million increase over 2004. Total number of online computers: 49.5 million, website: 694,200, and the total number of ".cn" domain registration is 1,096,924.

China has four times the population America has yet has half the amount of internet users compared to the US. You guys need to stop being so ignorant. Yao led all UNITED STATES votes over all centers over the past few years. It is what it is. This is the All-Star voting system for the NBA so deal with it or don't watch the All-Star game, simple as that. You guys don't need to bash a whole country though.

How many people in China do you think can afford computers and internet service? Do you guys know what China's terrain looks like? You assume they have telephone lines and cable lines running across the rivers and valleys and mountain sides of China? Some cities in America don't have cable internet service do you think a billion Chinese, a lot of whom are poor live like we do here in the US? Like someone else said already "this happens every year". Do me a favor, close your eyes or something when TMac and Yao enter the game, don't watch the game at all, boycott. :roll:
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject:

the worst player of all starters is the one with the most votes.

yeah i guess it has nothing to do with china :roll:

hopefully someone can explain me why david wesley got more votes then jason richardson?? because he is a rocket? and chinese people who votes for yao also vote for wesley?

i dont say all of yao's votes are from china, but i guess its nearly 50%
Warlord23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject:

Why the hate against Yao? Sure he is an over-hyped stiff, but we're talking about the center spot in today's NBA, a position that is almost devoid of talent since the mid-90s (the Olajuwon/Robinson/Mourning/Ewing/Shaq era). Heck, why Yao, do you think Ben Wallace or Camby would have sniffed an ASG in that era? Since somebody has to get picked at the pivot spot, why not Yao.

Secondly, the Chinese vote has only increased Yao's lead, but the US vote itself is in favor of Yao, as it has been for the past couple of years. So even if the Chinese vote is thrown out, Yao would start anyway.

Thirdly, why pretend that this is a new phenomenon? Hasn't Vince Carter started on enough All-Star games whil tanking his way to 35-win seasons?
LTD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject:

"The league should be embarrassed that Kobe Bryant is a starter on the All star team."

-random reporter, 1998
kqiu2210
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject:

Its a shame that society still breeds people like you.
trunkz550
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: !

My issue is that the all-star game starters should be for those that are having an all-star season, THIS YEAR! I know that its a popularity contest as well but those players that did not preform great this year should not get the start. Kobe should have been the top vote-getter hands down. I don't have as much of a problem with Yao starting because there aren't very many great/healthy centers in the west. But Yao should not have been the top vote-getter. T-mac should not be starting because he missed a lot of games and his play has been worthy of a starter this year, not over guys like Marion, Duncan, Brand and KG. I felt the exact same way, with T-wacks hating cousin Vince Retarder. Its sad that because yao has so many fan votes in China he was the top vote getter when he did not deserve to be and again tmac shouldn't be starting. I don't care if the game is in Houston. Kobe for MVP's baby!
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:

The All-Star game has been like this for a long time. How is there still outrage about undeserving guys making the squad? And who gives a (bleep) if it's the Chinese's fault?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: