What will it take from Kobe for LA to get the 8th seed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Saving this thread for the amount of crow people here will be eating.

Did you purposely leave that vague so you can be on both sides of the fence?

And just curious -- what exactly determines the amount?
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

prime Kobe could do it easily... not optimistic about this one. Despite what earlier posters said, i think Kobe would need to contribute in volume as well as efficiency for this team to contend
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think Kobe's enough, even if he were truly balling. We have so many young players on this squad that it will take a while for them to get acclimated to the NBA.

Our perimeter defense is highly suspect to begin with, and there are lingering durability concerns with Kobe let alone Randle.

We'd need strong perimeter defense, our young guys to mature quickly, along with a mostly healthy Kobe to make the 8th seed. I hope they do, but I just want to see the young guys play and see Kobe walk off the court on his own if this is his last season.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

This again? Who cares just enjoy whatever Kobe can give us this upcoming season.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:

I'm choosing to think Kobe's performance isn't gonna be the swing item for the team between making the playoffs or not. Seems too unlikely. I think he'll do whatever he can, and I'll be grateful for whatever he does.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject:

I really don't like this thread - Believe it or not, there's actually more to the Lakers than Kobe. What would it take from "Kobe?" How about What would it take from the whole team?
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I really don't like this thread - Believe it or not, there's actually more to the Lakers than Kobe. What would it take from "Kobe?" How about What would it take from the whole team?

I get it leor. It was a thread made out of boredom and hypotheticals. I understand it is a team game and no matter what Kobe does, is not the end all be all.

He is my favorite player though and this is his last season. Dude probably is done. I know Kobe is just a small part to getting the team to the playoffs, I even added in some of what was needed from the young guys?

I was just asking what does Kobe need to do?

I'm not having my expectations high this year. Ceiling is probably the tenth seed? I'm just trying to keep it posistive.

Its been what? Two years since I have been somewhat excited about the Lakers upcoming season?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject:

This is Kobe's swan song, would be awesome if he can squeeze out one last playoff run. On top of every 'rookies' hitting their strides and former all star re-discovering his form, we will need Kobe to be at least a 20-6-6. Then he can try to go bananas in the playoff (FG% unknown)
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Kobe averaging 20/5/5 with efficient shooting is not as important as it would require the young players to play well and earn his trust. Even then, we need a few things to happen, namely Hibbert reverting to his old self and better rebounding. None of the bigs anticipated to get most of the PT (Hibbert, Bass, Randle, and Black) are particularly strong rebounders. Kobe may need to pick up some of that slack if he's playing more SF. It helps that we're not going to depend on him to push the fast-break with Russell, Clarkson, Jabari and Lou all capable of doing that.
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
There is only way Kobe could lead this team to the playoffs.

Reverse Aging.

Where are we with this technology?

In America were not very far with tech, but that's why Kobe goes to Germany

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Kobe averaging 20/5/5 with efficient shooting is not as important as it would require the young players to play well and earn his trust. Even then, we need a few things to happen, namely Hibbert reverting to his old self and better rebounding. None of the bigs anticipated to get most of the PT (Hibbert, Bass, Randle, and Black) are particularly strong rebounders. Kobe may need to pick up some of that slack if he's playing more SF. It helps that we're not going to depend on him to push the fast-break with Russell, Clarkson, Jabari and Lou all capable of doing that.

I think between Clarkson and Russell will have one of the best backcourt rebounding duos in the league. Also having a 7'2 center never hurts in that department.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Love&Peace wrote:
gng930 wrote:

I think between Clarkson and Russell will have one of the best backcourt rebounding duos in the league. Also having a 7'2 center never hurts in that department.

Hibbert has been 7'2" for years but that has never translated into dominant rebounding for him. I didn't realize that about Clarkson and Russell. It would certainly be advantageous to have strong rebounders capable of initiating a break. Randle falls under that as well.
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Love&Peace wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Hibbert has been 7'2" for years but that has never translated into dominant rebounding for him. I didn't realize that about Clarkson and Russell. It would certainly be advantageous to have strong rebounders capable of initiating a break. Randle falls under that as well.

Yeah Hibbert has never been a dominant rebounder and he doesn't have any hops but he does take up a lot of space and is really good about boxing out his man.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Megaton wrote:

This again? Who cares just enjoy whatever the Lakers can give us this upcoming season.

Fixed.

I'm a Lakers fan first, Kobe second.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject:

Love&Peace wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Love&Peace wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Yeah Hibbert has never been a dominant rebounder and he doesn't have any hops but he does take up a lot of space and is really good about boxing out his man.

Good point that escapes some. Hibbert is not a dominant rebounder. The Pacers teams were though. Part of that can be attributed to Hibbert's presence. But a bigger part has to be the overall team rebounding concept. Pacers had it. I have concerns the Lakers can rebound as a team as well as they did.

Pacers rebounded well from every position and the bench. West and Hansborough from PF. George. Stephenson. Even Hill at PG.

Can the Lakers rebound as a team? Guards can. Jury is still out on Randle and Bass. Biggest question will be SF. Currently none on the roster are considered above average rebounders. Especially if they continue the plan of starting Kobe at SF.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Love&Peace wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Love&Peace wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Good point that escapes some. Hibbert is not a dominant rebounder. The Pacers teams were though. Part of that can be attributed to Hibbert's presence. But a bigger part has to be the overall team rebounding concept. Pacers had it. I have concerns the Lakers can rebound as a team as well as they did.

Pacers rebounded well from every position and the bench. West and Hansborough from PF. George. Stephenson. Even Hill at PG.

Can the Lakers rebound as a team? Guards can. Jury is still out on Randle and Bass. Biggest question will be SF. Currently none on the roster are considered above average rebounders. Especially if they continue the plan of starting Kobe at SF.

I think DLo may be the best rebounder from the perimeter position, even over Kobe. He seems to have a knack for grabbing rebounds. I would be surprised to see him closer to 5 rpg.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

^ Kobe will have more from not leaving the paint on defense.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

we have a lot of guards who like to rebound. DLO, Clarkson, and Kobe
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject:

Regarding what it would take from Kobe. I think he's going to have too put a lot of trust in a team that is basically new. The younger guys will need to find the confidence to step up when needed and gel as a team and not try to be the next Kobe
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Love&Peace wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Love&Peace wrote:
gng930 wrote:

I think DLo may be the best rebounder from the perimeter position, even over Kobe. He seems to have a knack for grabbing rebounds. I would be surprised to see him closer to 5 rpg.

Just tell Randle that to run an ISO he has to rebound the ball first. He'll average > 10 defensive boards guaranteed.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject:

^

Seems pretty unlikely to see Randle average 10 d-boards a game. He's promising as a good weak side rebounder, but with the guards we have, there's more likely not going to be enough caroms to spread around for him to specialize like that.

Interestingly, Anthony Davis has never come close to it, and K-Love's reached it in only two seasons. Success in this area for Randle seems capped at 8 per, which should be plenty good for the team.
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject:

making the 8th seed makes no sense, we need to tank for ____ lol stupid tankers mentality
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject:

It's an exercise in futility to try to pinpoint the exact stats that Kobe needs to put up to make the Lakers a playoff team.

But I'll say this.

Kobe needs to become more of a playmaker and less of a scorer, but he needs to score just enough and be just efficient enough to the point where defenses still have to double team him occasionally.

All that being said, if I tried to put numbers on it, I would say 20+ ppg while shooting at least 43-44% from the field while dishing out 5-6+ assists a game.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
^

Seems pretty unlikely to see Randle average 10 d-boards a game. He's promising as a good weak side rebounder, but with the guards we have, there's more likely not going to be enough caroms to spread around for him to specialize like that.

Interestingly, Anthony Davis has never come close to it, and K-Love's reached it in only two seasons. Success in this area for Randle seems capped at 8 per, which should be plenty good for the team.

It was hyperbole to emphasize Randle's love of the ISO.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
It's an exercise in futility to try to pinpoint the exact stats that Kobe needs to put up to make the Lakers a playoff team.

But I'll say this.

Kobe needs to become more of a playmaker and less of a scorer, but he needs to score just enough and be just efficient enough to the point where defenses still have to double team him occasionally.

All that being said, if I tried to put numbers on it, I would say 20+ ppg while shooting at least 43-44% from the field while dishing out 5-6+ assists a game.
As the actual closers are identified, Kobe will become more and more of a playmaker.

Why would opposing teams guard people who cannot put the ball into the basket.

Kobe's main priority, play the entire the season. If that happens, everything will fall into place
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: