Who would you want the Lakers to hire as the next coach?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Fairly safe to say that every NBA HC is just a "placeholder".

Only six have held their jobs over 4 years. Majority have been in place for about two years. Usually just enough time to get a draft and free agent period or two before getting fired and the front office goes looking for the next big thing for the short term fix.

The constant turnover or as you called it "churning" of HCs is part of the issue with rebuilding teams. Impatience and second guessing leads to multiple bad decisions. Even successful winning HCs fall victim to the "what have you done for me lately" rhetoric.

As I have said, I like Scott. I hope he sticks around. But when he is finally canned I hope that some of you will see the folly of repeated firings/hiring of HCs and the loss of focus it creates for the entire organization. Basically back to square one...again. Not a good long term plan unless the HC inherits a winner or a Lebron Super Team.

Maybe give the next guy a couple of seasons before claiming him a bust.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
Who the hell cares if byron gets a pass for his crappy roster. The thread is asking who we'd like as the next coach. Not if byron should be fired. Unless people think byron should stay as head coach forever?

We have people advocating 5 years for Byron.

Imagine Del getting 5+ years.

What a joke.

Myopia is a dangerous drug.

We will be in good shape if Byron can grow this roster as well as Del did back in the late 90's.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
Who the hell cares if byron gets a pass for his crappy roster. The thread is asking who we'd like as the next coach. Not if byron should be fired. Unless people think byron should stay as head coach forever?

What a joke.

We will be in good shape if Byron can grow this roster as well as Del did back in the late 90's.

I'm not sure Kobe and Shaq learned a thing under Del.
JBizzlethethird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Did I say fire him this year?

It is implied when you talk about who should be the next coach while he is still the coach.
Again, will you still want him gone if he makes the analytical adjustments to his offense next year while still maintaining an old school hard nosed culture?

That's not a logical argument. What makes him Byron Scott is his hard nosed coaching coupled with his publicly stated opposition to the "new NBA."

So in your premise, you are arguing that Scott will turn back on his coaching methodology all in 1 season? I don't see it. He will give it a cursory go at it, but when the going gets tough, he is who he is.

That remains to be seen. You are bias against him and refuse to even give him a chance.
And no not completely change his methodology, tweak it to fit the modern NBA. He hasn't been given sufficient time to do that IMO.

Biased? You just joined LG this year. I stated how much I loved Scott as a Laker and how much I dreaded him being the coach b/c it wouldn't work out for him (but I still respect him as a Laker).

He's in the same boat with guys like Charles Barkley. Barkley isn't changing his views on analytics or the modern NBA.

That is a bias statement. Before he even got the chance to coach you didn't think he would succeed. THATS BIAS, as a coach not player.
As far as Barkley he may be behind with analytics but as far as watching a game and knowing what is happening, he is one of the best if not the best on TV.

No, that is NOT a biased statement. You can have an opinion that someone is more likely to fail without wanting them to, ergo, without being biased. The end.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

People talk about Scott like he's a new coach.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure some of the things we did last year were roster dependent and inspired.
Can't wait to see what coaching changes are made this upcoming season. It will be telling.
The roster is more oriented toward perimeter offense than last years.
But if a rookie and Kobe goes down again, I won't expect alot of improvement in general.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

What a joke.

They did and the team play showed that.
WeDidItReddit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

Mark jackson?
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

What a joke.

They did and the team play showed that.

My point is that this is not the thread about byron. This is the thread about the coach after byron. Why people are defending byron in this thread makes no sense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
Jump to: