What are Mitch's Options regarding the Lack of Depth at SF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Given the way the game has gone, an elite wing defender, preferably one that can guard multiple positions, is second only to a rim protector as a defensive asset IMO.

The last two finals MVPs agree with you.
By the way, thats my go-to diss on LBJ. He made Kawhi Leonard and Andre Igoudala finals MVPs. GOAT!
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Voices wrote:
SF is not a critical position, it can be played by many different players on most rosters. Two's and three's are positions that can be played by scorers that are reasonably good ball handlers with some size.

Bizarre perspective, "not critical."

Seeing LeBron, Kawhi, Durant, Jimmy Butler and Paul George star for their teams in the role suggests it probably is one of the most critical positions. That's five of the league's top 25 players, each of whom are long, fast, mobile, versatile, two-way players. Every conference finalist last May had a classically-sized and skilled full-time player in the role, even the teams eliminated: D-Carroll (ATL), H-Barnes (GSW).

And where is the rule that those players have to be guarded by our SF? The team is allowed to be much more flexible than that.

Let's not confuse the Laker talent gap at the small forward slot with a presumed level of adequacy. That would require truly flexible players. There's no Tony Allen here.

We don't have a proven asset for the position. I don't see a flexible roster. I see a complete roster gap in terms of handling most of the league's small forwards through the course of a season, certainly the ones who are playing for playoff-bound teams. It's a problem for the team, until a solution steps forward.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Voices wrote:
SF is not a critical position, it can be played by many different players on most rosters. Two's and three's are positions that can be played by scorers that are reasonably good ball handlers with some size.

Seeing LeBron, Kawhi, Durant, Jimmy Butler and Paul George star for their teams in the role suggests it probably is one of the most critical positions. That's five of the league's top 25 players, each of whom are long, fast, mobile, versatile, two-way players. Every conference finalist last May had a classically-sized and skilled full-time player in the role, even the teams eliminated: D-Carroll (ATL), H-Barnes (GSW).

And where is the rule that those players have to be guarded by our SF? The team is allowed to be much more flexible than that.

Let's not confuse the Laker talent gap at the small forward slot with a presumed level of adequacy. That would require truly flexible players. There's no Tony Allen here.

We don't have a proven asset for the position. I don't see a flexible roster. I see a complete roster gap in terms of handling most of the league's small forwards through the course of a season, certainly the ones who are playing for playoff-bound teams. It's a problem for the team, until a solution steps forward.

A solution probably won't come forward anytime soon. I would imagine Mitch trying to find an Ariza type SF through the course of the season, but right now, I don't see that possibility happening until later on during the season.

By the way, the last 2 years, we've had Wesley Johnson at SF; while he's long, athletic, can seeming jump out of the gym, he wasn't lighting the world on fire. For now, it will be Kobe, Young, and probably Brown sprinkled in with Nance, Holmes, and even Randle playing spurts at SF...it's not great, but it will have to do.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject:

The lack of defense is sad at the SF - wing. Positions
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Brown is his name.

But seriously. Kobe will play SF with Nick Young and Anthony Brown backing him up. I want Brown to get good minutes to develop because I like his potential.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:

But seriously. Kobe will play SF with Nick Young and Anthony Brown backing him up. I want Brown to get good minutes to develop because I like his potential.

It seems you and I both have Anthony Brown pegged for third string. I wonder about his chance for getting "good minutes" (to be on court during stretches of play with the team still having meaningful chances to win.)

If he's getting his minutes plate filled after Kobe and after Nick both (and no one else competing for the role), it seems likely to see:

- A-Brown get only seven or eight minutes per game for mop-up when Kobe and Nick are both healthy (perhaps, say in in 40 games in the season)

- A-Brown to see up to 22 MPG in back up duty when either Kobe or Nick are unavailable for tipoff.

I think Brown's only real chance for meaningful PT beyond what I described is to beat out Nick Young by playing defense.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

It seems you and I both have Anthony Brown pegged for third string. I wonder about his chance for getting "good minutes" (to be on court during stretches of play with the team still having meaningful chances to win.)

If he's getting his minutes plate filled after Kobe and after Nick both (and no one else competing for the role), it seems likely to see:

- A-Brown get only seven or eight minutes per game for mop-up when Kobe and Nick are both healthy (perhaps, say in in 40 games in the season)

- A-Brown to see up to 22 MPG in back up duty when either Kobe or Nick are unavailable for tipoff.

I think Brown's only real chance for meaningful PT beyond what I described is to beat out Nick Young by playing defense.

I expect Brown to start out like Clarkson, with a lot of early d league run and very few rotation minutes.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

I think that last one is very likely to happen, especially with Lou able to take over Nick's role as bench scorer. Combined with all those scheduled DNP-CDs for Kobe, Brown will get plenty of PT during the 2nd half of the season.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:

World Peace knows defense
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:

Well, Kobe's gone at the end of the year and we can focus on getting a starting caliber SF. Clarkson and Russell won't be pathetic on D in a couple of years.
hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Voices wrote:

Arguably last 5 championships since the Lakers have had strong SFs:

Dallas: Marion (played unbelievably well that year, particularly against Lebron in the Finals)
Miami: Lebron
Spurs: Kahwai (MVP)
Warriors: Barnes/Iggy tandem, crucial defense coming from Iggy.

So yeah, at the highest levels, SFs have been quite important recently. I think it's the advantage of most of the top SFs to play both in/out on both sides of the ball that make them so important given their size. Having a 6'7/6'8 player capable of seamlessly shifting between 2-3 positions is quite a tool to have.

Given the way the game has gone, an elite wing defender, preferably one that can guard multiple positions, is second only to a rim protector as a defensive asset IMO.
doesnt really have anything to do with where the game has gone or how it has changed. think about it. you start naming ring teams from the past and you will name a star SF or at worse a star SG that can move from 1, to 2, to 3 defensively and a 3 that is a good defender.

lakers rings except for the one with glen rice was kobe paired with a defender at SF(fox, ariza, mwp)

boston beat us because pierce and posey could defend. The old lakers Worthy shifting from SF to PF, and coop guarding pg's, sg's, and sf's.

jordan/pippen just plain cheating
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

There is a difference between knowing and doing.

These days MWP would only watch opponents blow by him. I don't think he is fast enough now to even wave them good-by.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject:

I have been clamoring for a defensive SF to be added. I have my doubts MWP is that SF.

Love the idea of signing MWP, just not the reality of the player MWP. He was a shadow of himself his final year in NY. I have concerns the body just can't do what his mind will be telling it to do.

No issues with bringing him into camp to make the attempt and share his knowledge but not anything the Lakers can not get out of if he just can't play anymore.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject:

I think Brown will get significant playing time this year at SF due to Kobe's minutes and health.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
I think Brown will get significant playing time this year at SF due to Kobe's minutes and health.

Define significant. I can see 10-12 mpg if Kobe is healthy. That means some games he plays 18-20 games (say Kobe sits out a back to back) and 8-10 in others for example when Kobe plays.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

I expect Brown to start out like Clarkson, with a lot of early d league run and very few rotation minutes.

And like Clarkson, due to maturity and experience, I expect him to become a solid rotational player mid season.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

And like Clarkson, due to maturity and experience, I expect him to become a solid rotational player mid season.
These questions will be answered during competition at the team's training camp.

If Swaggy's shot is not falling with a high proficiency, he will have a great seat next to BScott
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

World peace has become pandas friend.

Nobody excited about Anthony brown?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I want to see how Randle would do guarding LBJ.
He has the weight to body him effectively.
Does Randle have the potential to guard small forwards (eventually)?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Yup.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Eventually yes. But he'll have to become a defender. He isn't much of one now. But the tools are there.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject:

I see Young playing SG for some time and A.Brown could back up Kobe.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject:

yuurin98 wrote:
I see Young playing SG for some time and A.Brown could back up Kobe.
If Swaggy doesn't make baskets or move the ball, he is a liability that is unless on the floor.

The worse thing is that he will be a bad role model for the rookies

For those who argue that Swaggy is another version of the Black Mamba totally forgets that Kobe has a well-rounded game while consistently producing under pressure
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject:

I think he will play a little bit better for the sake of not being traded.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

You could be right but I'm really not so sure, when it comes to a number two pick versus a number forty-six pick maybe the number two pick will be getting far less minutes in the D-League. And as far as minutes in the games, I'm going to predict that he will be getting far more minutes compared to Clarkson as well if for no other reason than the expectations for Brown will be so much higher than they were for Clarkson in the first place.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: