ESPN Projects Lakers to finish 14th of 15th in the West
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:
2019 wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:
15th) Nuggets

14th/13th ...Us and Blazers in a fight.

Overall....

27th/28th...

Despite terrible outcome, I hope Randle/Russell/Clarkson can show a glimpse of a better future. Add a top 3 pick in 16' and Westbrook in 17'.....

I'd rather Russell and Randle show flashes of stardom and Clarkson continue to do what he did last year ina very impressive campaign the results in playoff push and a off-season headlined Durant and Horford.

But given that's not that likely, us end up with yet another top 3 pick would no be the worst scenario-- just as long as we don't play like the a top 3 worst team. Problem is this draft is relatively weak compared to last and 2017.

1. Skal Labissiere PF/C
19 yrs; 7'0"; 216 lbs Fr

2 Ben Simmons SF/PF
19 yrs; 6'10"; 239 lbs.
Montverde Academy, Fr

3 Jaylen Brown SF
18 yrs; 6'6"; 222 lbs., Fr

4 Brandon Ingram SF
17 yrs; 6'9"; 196 lbs.
, Fr

5 Dragan Bender PF
17 yrs; 7'1"; 216 lbs.
Maccabi Tel Aviv U-18, Intl

6 Jamal Murray PG/SG
18 yrs; 6'5"; 201 lbs.
Kentucky, Fr

7 Malik Newman SG
18 yrs; 6'4"; 179 lbs.
Jackson Tigers, Fr

In 17'......

Westbrook
Clarkson
Russell
Randle/Skal Labissiere or Simmons
Horford/Skal Labissiere

Brandon Ingram is an interesting player. Big boom or bust prospect.

Yep if the Lakers miss the playoffs and luck into the top 3 any of the top 4 would fill a need on our team.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:

I feel like we'll have a healthy upwards trend during the season. I think midway through the season we'll be able to tell whether we can compete for an 8th spot in the playoffs which is something that although I'm not setting my sights on it can be sort of an unexpected prize.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
I feel like we'll have a healthy upwards trend during the season. I think midway through the season we'll be able to tell whether we can compete for an 8th spot in the playoffs which is something that although I'm not setting my sights on it can be sort of an unexpected prize.

Sort of an unexpected prize?

That's like saying a miracle is an unexpected prize. haha.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Sort of an unexpected prize?

That's like saying a miracle is an unexpected prize. haha.

Lol, just let me live.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject:

I want to see this team win at least 30 games barring injuries.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:

Devil's advocate. If 30 wins is the minimum bar you hope they set, wouldn't it just be better to get 20 wins and be top 3?

Although it's only 5 more, 35 to me has to be the standard for this season to represent improvement.

Either way I cannot wait for the Young 3 to show what they got.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Practice wrote:

Devil's advocate. If 30 wins is the minimum bar you hope they set, wouldn't it just be better to get 20 wins and be top 3?

Although it's only 5 more, 35 to me has to be the standard for this season to represent improvement.

No because winning less games than last year signals something very wrong happening. I'd much rather see improvement with our key players doing well and showing promise..
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Practice wrote:

One of the reasons teams that end up in the lottery tend to stay there is based on both reliance on youngsters, and not putting them in situations to develop the ability to win games. You end up with a lot of young talent that has no idea how to win. At some point, in order to develop them fully, you have to start seeking wins.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The way I see it is if your measure of a "successful" season is the playoffs, you may be disappointed. If you want to see the young core developing in tangible ways then this may be a really fun season.

See success as the lakers making a significant improvement from last year. Such that they're viewed as a team on the rise with an FO that is seemingly back on track. Finishing at least around 500 and being in the fight for a playoff spot late in the season I think would do that.

That would be nice but to go from 21 to 41 wins is a lot. If they win in the 30s It'll be a big improvement.

For context the nuggets went from 19 wins to 43 wins when memo joined them. Apparently that's the 9th biggest turnaround in NBA history.

It would be something real nice, but............ Just not realistic, not even close unfortunately....

Best case for me beyond any way out there "dream's".....

I believe that the bottom 6 to 7 teams or so will win more games on average this coming season than the past 2 seasons bottom dwellers have won...30 to 32 will be 3rd to 5th.

I would hope to see Randle/Russell/Clarkson all do well, show real signs of what can be real promising futures. I think with the 3 young guns alone the lakers in a couple seasons 17', can win 40. It will take a couple 30 and 35 win seasons to get there.

But with a top 3 pick in the next draft, and a Horford signing for example in 16', then a Westbrook signing in 17', then the lakers will be back where they belong.

Randle/Russell/Clarkson/Top 3 16' pick/Horford in 16' and Westbrook in 17' is my dream. But winning 40 or more this coming season is just too far fetched, hope I am wrong however....

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject:

I we finish with such a bad record to be in contention for the top 3 draft pick horford isn't looking to join a bottom dweller. He wants to compete for rings now.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Practice wrote:

Winning 30 or 35 is better than winning just 20, largely because the main implication of successful talent development and successful talent accumulation is team success (wins).
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

December will make or break us. I feel like if we are a better defensive team, we can be right out there waiting to make a push if we can withstand that cruel December schedule. We need to keep teams under 100, NO allowing teams to score 120 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject:

All I know is I'll be rooting for them to win next season. We have a real foundation to build on now. While it felt "icky" wishing for losses last season, I knew that team was held together with velcro. It never felt like any of them were Lakers, other than Kobe. They were just mercenaries.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Practice wrote:

Win count is irrelevant. It's icing on the cake.

The batter is the development of our core (JC/DLO/JR). Anything else is extra.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
December will make or break us. I feel like if we are a better defensive team, we can be right out there waiting to make a push if we can withstand that cruel December schedule. We need to keep teams under 100, NO allowing teams to score 120 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

That's impossible... Byron preaches defense!
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I think we finish 10th 40-42
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
pio2u wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

That's impossible... Byron preaches defense!

I still think you need the players to play good defense, you can preach all you want?

You try to tell a young Kyrie or Dion Waiters to play defense? Nick Young. Byron without question has had bottom five NBA rosters his last two coaching stints.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject:

The more I think about the Kobe quote (about Laker playoff relevance) and this roster's possibilities under Bee Scott's clumsy hand, the stronger my inclination is that the Laker management fully intends to tank from day one.

It's the smart play.

It's settling in on me like a dark storm cloud. There's a top three protected pick lurking behind the season in the draft. That's an awfully tough asset to resist the protection required for it. Can't tank on day one silently. Kobe's the club mouthpiece for $30M.

Oh well ... more draft picks will help
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject:

They weren't tanking to start in 2014 and they won't be tanking this season.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
The more I think about the Kobe quote (about Laker playoff relevance) and this roster's possibilities under Bee Scott's clumsy hand, the stronger my inclination is that the Laker management fully intends to tank from day one.

It's the smart play.

It's settling in on me like a dark storm cloud. There's a top three protected pick lurking behind the season in the draft. That's an awfully tough asset to resist the protection required for it. Can't tank on day one silently. Kobe's the club mouthpiece for $30M.

Oh well ... more draft picks will help

I disagree. Not the smart play at this point.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject:

It's gonna be a tough season in the west. 26 wins might be accurate if we have injury trouble again. The big bonus for this season will be the fact that I will be able to root for the team to WIN instead of TANK this year. The kids will grow and improve. Next season we have a real shot of being the playoffs again.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

It depends on what kind of Kobe they get to start the season, something that's almost entirely out of their control to regulate when he's on the floor. They probably did pull an audible last season after Kobe passed MJ and they were firmly cemented in the cellar, but by how much is hard to determine.

The Top 3 threshold probably rules out a tank.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It depends on what kind of Kobe they get to start the season, something that's almost entirely out of their control to regulate when he's on the floor. They probably did pull an audible last season after Kobe passed MJ and they were firmly cemented in the cellar, but by how much is hard to determine.

The Top 3 threshold probably rules out a tank.

I don't think they started until Kobe went out officially with the injury. We were already a bottom 4 team at the time, so when he officially opted for surgery, I think we figured out the best solution was to keep our pick.

In December, we were still linked to talks with Rondo and Brook Lopez trying to find ways to improve the team. The losing continued in January, Kobe got hurt, and that's all she wrote.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

Lakers knew Kobe had a shoulder issue in camp, and Randle went down immediately. Team went into soft tank mode at that point (which is what the "let Kobe gun it up to catch MJ" strategy really was).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 10 of 20
Jump to: