Updates on Kobe's Progress (Kobe cleared for all basketball activity, pg.4)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Updates on Kobe's Progress (Kobe cleared for all basketball activity, pg.4)

Have there been any recent updates on Kobe's progress?

I think his legs should be stronger this year, and a reduction of minutes/games will help as well. I'm still a bit concerned about the shoulder as IIRC, it's been a reoccurring issue that he's played with. Not that we're a championship contender or anything, but he's basically slotted for major minutes at the SF spot, and without him, we are even thinner at that spot.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject:

Solid question and concern.

Has he even started shooting yet? Just a few weeks ago it was being reported he was "feeling strong" and beginning to lift. But no mention of actually putting up shots. Same report did mention he is "expected to be 100%" by the start of the season.

Not sure how big of an issue it would be. One thing Kobe knows is how to shoot
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

Has he even started shooting yet? Just a few weeks ago it was being reported he was "feeling strong" and beginning to lift. But no mention of actually putting up shots. Same report did mention he is "expected to be 100%" by the start of the season.

Yeah, usually by this time we are updated on how amazing his recovery is, etc. I haven't heard a peep, which may be a good thing.

Did he hurt his shooting shoulder?
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject:

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nba/430/kobe-bryant
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject:

August 5th:

Quote:

Kobe Bryant (shoulder) said that he feels "extremely strong and healthy," and he's progressed to weight-lifting with his upper body.

All signs point to the Black Mamba being 100 percent for opening night. He's expected to play both SG and SF this season but the Lakers will almost certainly be conservative with his minutes this season, adding risk atop risk for fantasy owners contending with his age, mileage and recent injury history.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nba/430/kobe-bryant

Hopefully he has good range of motion but banging with bigger SFs, that shoulder is going to be susceptible to a lot of wear and tear.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

Yeah, usually by this time we are updated on how amazing his recovery is, etc. I haven't heard a peep, which may be a good thing.

Did he hurt his shooting shoulder?

Recovering from surgery on his torn right rotator cuff.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

I'm very concerned about his shoulder....

even if Kobe has recovered, he probably can't practice and put up the amount of the work he wants.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject:

Has he started shooting again? Hopefully he'll be ready to start on opening night. Kevin Martin should be a nice warm up to start the season for him. Not the bulkiest guy around, more of a guy who will come off screens and shoot. I dunno how we're gonna match up with Wiggins though if we're rolling with Clarkson and Russell in the backcourt though.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Has he started shooting again? Hopefully he'll be ready to start on opening night. Kevin Martin should be a nice warm up to start the season for him. Not the bulkiest guy around, more of a guy who will come off screens and shoot. I dunno how we're gonna match up with Wiggins though if we're rolling with Clarkson and Russell in the backcourt though.

Kobe is the SF, he will guard Wiggins if he starts at SF, assuming K-Mart at SG.

Kobe is still crafty enough to guard a young player like Wiggins.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

He's going to likely guard Wiggins.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject:

Really anxious to see what Kobe has left in the tank. How strong he is on his post ups and how much elevation he has on his jumpshot especially as the game goes on. Thoses fourth quarter legs.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:

Maybe I'm misremembering it, but I recall that his injury wasn't really season ending, it was just kind of pointless to trot him back out there in mid-March on a team that had every reason to lose games. Hopefully he's healthy, and you make a good point that Achilles' injuries really take two years to fully recover from, even if players are still able to play after one.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Maybe I'm misremembering it, but I recall that his injury wasn't really season ending, it was just kind of pointless to trot him back out there in mid-March on a team that had every reason to lose games. Hopefully he's healthy, and you make a good point that Achilles' injuries really take two years to fully recover from, even if players are still able to play after one.

Was it something that was recurring and he never took care of it? He's played through so many injuries that he may not have fully taken care of. What a beast but those nagging injuries have seemed to caught up with him.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject:

He complained of the injury last preseason. From my understanding, he kept playing through the pain throughout the season until he couldn't and it was deemed he needed surgery.

Could have kept playing through it? I don't remember that. I remember him talking to 2 different surgeons until he decided that surgery was the best course of action. I hope he's healthy, but we'll see...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

We will get updates when Mitch decides we need updates.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
He complained of the injury last preseason. From my understanding, he kept playing through the pain throughout the season until he couldn't and it was deemed he needed surgery.

Could have kept playing through it? I don't remember that. I remember him talking to 2 different surgeons until he decided that surgery was the best course of action. I hope he's healthy, but we'll see...

I'm not saying that he could have played through it, I just don't remember the recovery time frame necessarily being season-ending. But I just looked it up and apparently the recovery from surgery was projected to be 9 months. So ya, I just misremembered.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Was it something that was recurring and he never took care of it? He's played through so many injuries that he may not have fully taken care of. What a beast but those nagging injuries have seemed to caught up with him.

It's something he has been playing with for a very long time.

Remember the reverse dunk over Sprewell against the Wolves in the playoffs in 2004?
Shaqman55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

It's something he has been playing with for a very long time.

Remember the reverse dunk over Sprewell against the Wolves in the playoffs in 2004?

It was the 2003 playoffs... Over KG and Nesterovic. He reverse dunked on Spreewell (who was in his last season with NY) in the regular season
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Kobe is the SF, he will guard Wiggins if he starts at SF, assuming K-Mart at SG.

So then it's a done deal that Kobe is starting at SF?
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

He's going to likely guard Wiggins.

Could be a long night for us if Kobe has to guard Wiggins. His athleticism and skill will make it pretty rough for Kobe to guard him. Hopefully we can give Anthony Brown some burn so he can get a shot at Wiggins while fulfilling the 3/D role in spurts.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject:

44 wrote:
Jackobe wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Byron's pretty much confirmed that the two will be starting together with Kobe at the three.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
44 wrote:
Jackobe wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Byron's pretty much confirmed that the two will be starting together with Kobe at the three.

that's news to me, any links?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:

It's all about Wang Zhizhi, that's the piece we need to beat the Cavs in the finals.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:

44 wrote:
The Logo wrote:
44 wrote:
Jackobe wrote:
The Logo wrote:

that's news to me, any links?

Quote:
ung guards D'Angelo Russell and Jordan Clarkson started alongside one another in the backcourt for the Los Angeles Lakers Las Vegas Summer League team, but some were worried that one of the two would have to come off of the bench during the regular season, given that there is a certain Hall of Fame shooting guard set to return to the Lakers' lineup in the fall.

According to NBA.com's David Aldridge, that worry is unfounded, because Lakers head coach Byron Scott "sees Bryant playing more small forward next season." In addition to the Lakers young backcourt needing reps alongside each other, such a move also makes sense in order to save the older Bryant's legs as he ages and begins to lose some of his quickness. A similar shift down in position has helped some other aging veterans in recent years. For example, Paul Pierce shifting from small forward to power forward helped him play his most effective basketball of the year in the playoffs last season for the Washington Wizards.

Scott envisions a similar invigorating effect for Bryant:

"If we can get him at the elbows and at the mid-post, the more effective he'll be. I don't think he needs to be using up the whole 94-foot floor. If we can cut that down some, I think that saves his legs as much as possible. But if we can get him where he operates best, which to me is elbows on each area, top of the key, at the pinch post, at the mid-post, then I think he can be real effective for us."

The Lakers are short on wing depth, with their only other small forward options on the roster being second round rookie Anthony Brown and Nick Young after the departure of Wesley Johnson in free agency, so Bryant moving primarily to the three is partially necessitated by their depth chart as well.

Whatever the reasons, watching the Lakers' most notable guard of the last 19-years start alongside the hoped for backcourt of the future should be a fun sight for fans of the purple and gold.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/7/22/9013137/la-lakers-kobe-bryant-small-forward
bryants2hot2handle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Thanks
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: