Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

It's hard to tell just by his college stats. What kind of player did he project to be before injuries took that away?
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

You mean they got rid of google and youtube?

Bye.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

Who?
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject:

Danny Manning was very good before the injuries. Very!!! I actually rooted for that 93 team with Ron Harper. The Lakers were rebuilding due to Magic's retirement, so I said I'd go to a few Clipper games at the old Sports Arena and pull for them. The following year Don Sterling traded away half the team, and I've hated the Clippers ever since!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
It's hard to tell just by his college stats. What kind of player did he project to be before injuries took that away?

I know you want better adjectives, but he was a good SF. He had a straight armed floater in the paint like Mark Jackson, but Manning's was probably tighter. If you challenge me to imagine Danny Manning in my mind, that's what I envision = him cutting to the lane and floating in a shot. Other than that, he was a scrapper, imo. Not stupendously great at many things, but more than serviceable at most things.

I personally think Ron Harper was the better player of the two. I'd take Harp.

Beyond that, Manning, Harp, and Loy Vaught wasted too many of their prime years on that ratship.

I up'd this. It's a recap of the final quarter(s) of the 82nd game of the 92 season. We needed to win this to scratch into the playoffs. You can see Manning making solid plays all around, even in the clutch. Peep it, FanO-Drew.

SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

non-player zealot wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I know you want better adjectives, but he was a good SF. He had a straight armed floater in the paint like Mark Jackson, but Manning's was probably tighter. If you challenge me to imagine Danny Manning in my mind, that's what I envision = him cutting to the lane and floating in a shot. Other than that, he was a scrapper, imo. Not stupendously great at many things, but more than serviceable at most things.

Beyond that, Manning, Harp, and Loy Vaught wasted too many of their prime years on that ratship.

I up'd this. It's a recap of the final quarter(s) of the 82nd game of the 92 season. We needed to win this to scratch into the playoffs. You can see Manning making solid plays all around, even in the clutch. Peep it, FanO-Drew.

my god, that's a great video. the npz volt is the greatest volt of them all.

harper. the most interesting thing about harper (to me) is that early in his career, he was often compared to MJ. it wasn't a joke either, like when they compare VC or Lebron to MJ...people were dead serious at the time. Then he had the injuries and became the harper that won championships with MJ and Kobe. Great player. smart.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

harper. the most interesting thing about harper (to me) is that early in his career, he was often compared to MJ. it wasn't a joke either, like when they compare VC or Lebron to MJ...people were dead serious at the time. Then he had the injuries and became the harper that won championships with MJ and Kobe. Great player. smart.

Everyone tries so hard to get into npz's sig.

I do it too.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

non-player zealot wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Thank you very much for this vid. What an amazing game it was.

I wonder what happened to Sedale Threatt. I've never seen him play, but it always seemed to me that Lakers fans were always excited about his games.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

danzag wrote:
I wonder what happened to Sedale Threatt. I've never seen him play, but it always seemed to me that Lakers fans were always excited about his games.

Sedale played in the NBA for 14 years, then played in Europe. For the past few years, he's been coaching at a basketball school in Australia.

[url=http://www.aubdinstitute.com.au/#!coaches/c1lsu]http://www.aubdinstitute.com.au/#!coaches/c1lsu[/url]
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

activeverb wrote:
danzag wrote:

Sedale played in the NBA for 14 years, then played in Europe. For the past few years, he's been coaching at a basketball school in Australia.

[url=http://www.aubdinstitute.com.au/#!coaches/c1lsu]http://www.aubdinstitute.com.au/#!coaches/c1lsu[/url]

thanks for the head up, interesting... but that link is a bad one!!!.... locked up my browser (not responding) and then locked up my entire computer.... when I got a chance I closed the page as fast as I could... so is this a legit web page?

I'm not about to check it out again!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

44 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
danzag wrote:

thanks for the head up, interesting... but that link is a bad one!!!.... locked up my browser (not responding) and then locked up my entire computer.... when I got a chance I closed the page as fast as I could... so is this a legit web page?

I'm not about to check it out again!!!

Not sure why you had a problem with the link. It's nothing fishy -- just a web site for a respected basketball college in Australia. I logged onto it with no problem.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

GoldenThroat wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I do it too.

I'm already there. You're just jelly that it comes natural to me.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

activeverb wrote:
danzag wrote:

I was thinking of him as a Laker.

He was a good player, a fan favourite and suddenly lost space in the team, it seems.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Sedale admirably filled the unenviable role of being the Laker PG after Magic. I'll always remember how well he shot the ball when going left. He was supposed to be Magic's backup, and even split some time with him. Magic was the only real ball handler on the team, which got exposed when we went up against the Bulls in the Finals. I think that's the same summer where we signed Sherman Douglas to an offer sheet, but Miami matched it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

[quote="GoldenThroat"]
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I do it too. [/qnote]

Amateur! Getting a quote in another user's sig is nothing compared to having a banned troll returning under a new screen name that makes scatological comments about you.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

danzag wrote:

Ech. Unfortunately, Sedale turned out to be a deadbeat dad. There's a Sedale Jr who played college football, looks like a ringer to Sr. He was quoted in an interview that he basically never got any support from him and now doesn't want any connection. Sad situation. I hate that Sedale has to be "that guy" because he was such an affable personality.

The thing about him is that we had just lost Magic in a horrible way. If not for Sedale being on that team, that year would have been DOUR. It would've looked like a Tim Burton adaptation of a Laker season. He was basically the one shining light. AC was always stand-up, too, but Sedale had a dream season in 92. He was a career substitute in Seattle. I have a plethora of late 80s Sonics/Lakers gms. Do you know what I mean when I say I have a plethora? Trust me, Sedale was about as invisible in Seattle as any 3rd stringer. Obviously, you do not see those players just emerge into solid starters like that very often. It's always exciting and memorable when it does happen (think Ariza, 09). We got into the playoffs on his shot there. That wasn't the only one. He beat Miami at the buzzer in Nov. He scored 42 at MSG, he embarrassed all of their guards. God knows how many more big plays he came up with to scratch us into the 8th seed by 1 point. That game WAS our playoffs. When I look back at it now, the jaded Lakerfan that I currently am probably would've preferred getting into that year's lottery instead, but I remember hearing the Lakers coveted Horry from early on and we got him down the road anyway, so screw it. The idea of the Clippers eliminating the Lakers from the playoffs is inherently vile. Screw that noise, man.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Sedale admirably filled the unenviable role of being the Laker PG after Magic. I'll always remember how well he shot the ball when going left. He was supposed to be Magic's backup, and even split some time with him. Magic was the only real ball handler on the team, which got exposed when we went up against the Bulls in the Finals. I think that's the same summer where we signed Sherman Douglas to an offer sheet, but Miami matched it.

Chick would mention every backup and/or point we wanted or tried to get. He knew from West what was actually real, so it was interesting when he'd mention back room doings. He talked about that Sherm Douglas thing a number of times. He always brought up how we were gonna take Terry Porter if AC was already gone. He said one of LA's biggest regrets was not taking Spud Webb in the 4th round thinking he would go undrafted. He said we were going to take Brian Shaw and Boston picked him ahead of us without even working him out (typical dirty rat stuff). We wanted Lindsey Hunter in 93, we heard that over and over. Our desire for certain guards lasted for years, it was no accident we got both of those guys later on. The other after Chick's death was Shannon Brown. Got him later too. We love guards long time.

PS: Yer gonna make the club, GoldenThroat. It's just gonna be when you don't expect it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

non-player zealot wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

That's a real good comparison. Also another thing to consider is that he was a legit 6'9"-6'10" player at the SF position. Late 80's and early-mid 90's...only a handful of SF's were at that size. With his release point, he could get his shot off at will.

I remember a game when Kobe was trying to guard him. He was saying to Kobe "you're too short, you can't guard me", etc. Of course, Kobe eventually sent one back Manning burned him a few times. Kobe being Kobe was jawing up a storm.

(bleep) I miss the old days!
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Magic Johnson - Theee Laker
Michael Jordan - Theee Bull
Hakeem the Dream - Theee Rocket
Larry Bird - Theee Celtic
Danny Manning - Theee Clipper
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:

True story, I went to school with a guy named Danny Manning. He sprained his ankle the one time we played basketball, so I don't know what kind of player he was before that.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

GoldenThroat wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I do it too.

NPZ is the GOAT!!!!!!

Shameless attempt to try to get into that awesome sig aside...NPZ really is the GOAT
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Before injuries, what kind of player was Danny Manning?

non-player zealot wrote:
danzag wrote:

Ech. Unfortunately, Sedale turned out to be a deadbeat dad. There's a Sedale Jr who played college football, looks like a ringer to Sr. He was quoted in an interview that he basically never got any support from him and now doesn't want any connection. Sad situation. I hate that Sedale has to be "that guy" because he was such an affable personality.

The thing about him is that we had just lost Magic in a horrible way. If not for Sedale being on that team, that year would have been DOUR. It would've looked like a Tim Burton adaptation of a Laker season. He was basically the one shining light. AC was always stand-up, too, but Sedale had a dream season in 92. He was a career substitute in Seattle. I have a plethora of late 80s Sonics/Lakers gms. Do you know what I mean when I say I have a plethora? Trust me, Sedale was about as invisible in Seattle as any 3rd stringer. Obviously, you do not see those players just emerge into solid starters like that very often. It's always exciting and memorable when it does happen (think Ariza, 09). We got into the playoffs on his shot there. That wasn't the only one. He beat Miami at the buzzer in Nov. He scored 42 at MSG, he embarrassed all of their guards. God knows how many more big plays he came up with to scratch us into the 8th seed by 1 point. That game WAS our playoffs. When I look back at it now, the jaded Lakerfan that I currently am probably would've preferred getting into that year's lottery instead, but I remember hearing the Lakers coveted Horry from early on and we got him down the road anyway, so screw it. The idea of the Clippers eliminating the Lakers from the playoffs is inherently vile. Screw that noise, man.

Quote:
Chick would mention every backup and/or point we wanted or tried to get. He knew from West what was actually real, so it was interesting when he'd mention back room doings. He talked about that Sherm Douglas thing a number of times. He always brought up how we were gonna take Terry Porter if AC was already gone. He said one of LA's biggest regrets was not taking Spud Webb in the 4th round thinking he would go undrafted. He said we were going to take Brian Shaw and Boston picked him ahead of us without even working him out (typical dirty rat stuff). We wanted Lindsey Hunter in 93, we heard that over and over. Our desire for certain guards lasted for years, it was no accident we got both of those guys later on. The other after Chick's death was Shannon Brown. Got him later too. We love guards long time.

The level of information in your posts is so good to see. Man, i read some of your paragraphs and it takes me back to that time. People that don't know...these details here are so freaking accurate.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

NPZ is the king. Thanks, man.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject:

Manning was very skilled, a good all-around forward for his size. Didn't have any weak areas of his game for his era. Wasn't a special athlete in most respects, but he compensated with smarts. Handled the ball especially well for his size. He may have been quite special in the NBA without that rookie season knee blow-out, or if he's played twenty years later.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject:

He peaked in college as a Jayhawk. I think he battled a lot of injuries as a Clipper and they could never put together anything except for those 2 playoff appearances. He had all star appearances but you probably never saw his full potential because of his numerous injuries.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: