MSG announcers sour grapes...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: MSG announcers sour grapes...

TV Brownout could be next
Quote:
But in the fourth quarter Tuesday, their concern was elsewhere. With 11:37 left, Breen elected to focus on something all diehard Knicks fans were outraged (ha ha, and tee-hee) by: the fact that Kobe Bryant was still in the game.
Quote:
Breen didn't just mention Bryant's late presence in a blowout once. He decided to make an issue of it. "I don't understand why he's out there putting up threes now," Breen said. "You're blowing out an opponent. I don't think there's a need for him to be out there on the floor."

Was this the NBA? Or was it high school basketball? As far as we know, David Stern has not yet called for any mercy rule. Also, those Knicks fans - on the scene and in front of the screen - have not exactly been treated to a spectacular brand of basketball this season. At least Bryant was trying to put on a show.

Finally, fans were getting their money's worth. Let's face it, those chants of "MVP, MVP, MVP" Tuesday night were not for Stephon Marbury.

Eventually, Breen attempted to cast aspersions, and blame all this on Phil Jackson. According to Breen, Jackson's decision to leave Bryant in the game was some kind of sign that the coach had destroyed all reverence for his glorious past with the Knicks.

"One of the reasons I'm surprised he (Bryant) is still in the game is Phil Jackson," Breen said. "(He is) here in the Garden. Obviously, he's always had respect for his playing days and for the late Red Holzman. I thought he would, at this point (take Bryant out)."

No matter what anyone thinks of Breen's take, at least it was entertaining and strong. And there's the rub. How can Breen open his mouth and rip Jackson when he is forced by management to keep it closed on a much larger issue - Thomas being sued by a former employee for sexual harassment.

How can Breen, or Frazier, criticize an opposing player or coach, when they are prohibited from, at the least, discussing whether Thomas' turmoil has had a negative on-court impact on the Knicks?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:

Very interesting peice. It's amazing how many haters there are of Kobe. I've read that even one of the announcers, Clyde Frasier, was criticizing Kobe's defense. I didn't think it was wrong to play Kobe in the beginning of the fourth, as the lead was not secure until Bynum dominated the quarter. You don't just give the opponent 12 minutes to come back from 20 points to make it a ballgame by putting Sasha, Green, Luke and Cook on the floor without a sure No. 1 option. A D-League team could have handled that squad, certainly something the Knicks were capable of.

I liked this part -- "Let's face it, those chants of "MVP, MVP, MVP" Tuesday night were not for Stephon Marbury."

Last edited by JUST-MING on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:40 am; edited 2 times in total
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject:

Yeah, that is sour grapes. Kobe was out there because the fans wanted him out there. And why not?? It's his only visit to MSG this season, and why should fans be deprived of Kobe just because their Knicks blow big chunks.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject:

Hate just for the fact of hating. How upset would he have been if Kobe sat the entire 4th quarter?

"All these people paid good money to see the possible MVP and best player in the league, and the selfish bastard decides to sit down. How ungrateful and despicable!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject:

<cue broken record>

Damned if he does... damned if he doesn't.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject:

Well didn't Phil play him in the 4th in the blow out loss to Indy?

I think Phil just wants Kobe to develop some PT with the younger players who don't get much PT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aztech
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I think Phil just wants Kobe to develop some PT with the younger players who don't get much PT.

then he should have kept him in... in the blow out win against Dallas where kobe scored 62 in 3 quarters.....

he didnt come into the 4th because they were up by 30... same with NY...

Phil is hard to figure out...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:

Aztech wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

then he should have kept him in... in the blow out win against Dallas where kobe scored 62 in 3 quarters.....

he didnt come into the 4th because they were up by 30... same with NY...

Phil is hard to figure out...

I think he thought that Kobe would probably score 80+ and it look like he was paddling his stats. And you know his haters would always knock that. He still asked Kobe - if he wanted back in.

Personally, I think Phil uses every minute to develop some kind of chemistry among his team.

Kobe playing with the rookies is a way of developping some chemistry there, that might become valuable in the playoffs or next season.
Supa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

I think it only happened because it was MSG. The fans wanted him, and Kobe loves to play there. Phil probably embraced it as an opportunity try out some of the young guys with Kobe, specifically Bynum.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

jminges wrote:
Very interesting peice. It's amazing how many haters there are of Kobe. I've read that even one of the announcers, Clyde Frasier, was criticizing Kobe's defense. I didn't think it was wrong to play Kobe in the beginning of the fourth, as the lead was not secure until Bynum dominated the quarter. You don't just give the opponent 12 minutes to come back from 20 points to make it a ballgame by putting Sasha, Green, Luke and Cook on the floor without a sure No. 1 option. A D-League team could have handled that squad, certainly something the Knicks were capable of.

I liked this part -- "Let's face it, those chants of "MVP, MVP, MVP" Tuesday night were not for Stephon Marbury."

Walt Clyde Frasier was all over KB8's defense... said he was playing 'matador defense' on several ocassion during the broadcast.... The Indy announcers, the next night were no better...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: