Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Straight Outta Compton

10/10 worthwhile

For anyone whose adolescence was scored by the NWA era and its spinoffs, or if you grew up in any proximity to Compton/South Central in the late 80s/90s, this is a must-see. Although I was as far removed from the subject matter within their music as one could be, even throughout middle school and high school in my 85% white Long Beach suburb it was difficult to socialize locally without encountering someone with no more than 2 degrees of separation from the NWA/Death Row regime. A guy in my "crew" dated a half sister of The Twinz, for instance. Another dude I knew was Snoop's actual nephew, and so on. Sometimes we'd go to watch Poly home games just to catch the tiniest glimpse of anyone affiliated with the LB/CPT rap houses, all of whom were fixtures at locales like Poly sporting events and VIP records; all of whom were celebrated and given rock star reception when they were spotted. I've always sort of worshiped them. Only recently have I truly appreciated the group's influence on not only west coast hip hop, but on pop culture in general. They were F'ing everything to their scene.

The movie: Some of the outdoor pieces felt TV movie-ish...shots were tight and fast so you don't get a sense of depth or grit in the neighborhoods like we've seen Boyz N the Hood or even Friday. Because of this, it didn't feel as period as it could have.

The musical scenes were a blast and it was never obvious that anyone was lip syncing, to give you an idea of just how seamless the production was. For contrast in this element, refer to La Bamba's recording scenes.

Superb acting. The guys who played Dre, Cube, and Suge made me forget sometimes that they weren't actually Dre, Cube, and Suge. The actor who played Eazy E deserves recognition for his performance...something better than an OScar. Paul Giamatti added a ton of legitimacy to the cast.

All in all it was an impressive make and a great tribute to a great group, except they could've been a little more honest about Dre and Cube who came out of the movie as these sparkling, wholesome protaganists, which was by their own design, no doubt, while Eazy's and Suge's demons were front and center. The film feels like the origin story of real life comic book heroes.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Straight Outta Compton

C M B wrote:
except they could've been a little more honest about Dre and Cube who came out of the movie as these sparkling, wholesome protaganists, which was by their own design, no doubt, while Eazy's and Suge's demons were front and center. The film feels like the origin story of real life comic book heroes.

Doesn't this have bearing on the tale being told and therefore, shouldn't it also have some effect on the rating?

I actually had mild interest at best in watching this but my stance began to soften. Will probably catch a weekday matinee. Was way too crowded this weekend.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Straight Outta Compton

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
C M B wrote:
except they could've been a little more honest about Dre and Cube who came out of the movie as these sparkling, wholesome protaganists, which was by their own design, no doubt, while Eazy's and Suge's demons were front and center. The film feels like the origin story of real life comic book heroes.

Doesn't this have bearing on the tale being told and therefore, shouldn't it also have some effect on the rating?

I actually had mild interest at best in watching this but my stance began to soften. Will probably catch a weekday matinee. Was way too crowded this weekend.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and that's what the 10 was for (worthwhile). I just checked and found that it's 90% certified fresh on RT and is #1 in the country right now by $43m!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject:

Best part was cube smashing the producer's office
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:

was definitely during my time period and in my neighborhood. we were seriously catching hell by one-time. they weren't lying about the Torrance Police Department. Been pulled over at least four times in Torrance and never given a citation. Just a black dude going to pick up his old lady from work after closing the restaurant.

As far as the movie, it was pretty accurate especially the Crenshaw scenes. Sunday's on Crenshaw brought out those Impalas and lowered Nissan trucks. I think it was hard to smash ten years into two hours, so they had to leave out a lot like not dwelling on Ren and Yella as much; the diss tracks from both Dre and Eazy; and obviously Dr. Dre's assault on Dee Barnes.

That group basically changed rap and hip-hop forever. Where some were kinda tiptoeing around the issue, they just came out and said what needed to be said. Funny thing was seeing some of the kids from Woodland Hills hide the tapes from parent s and asking me if it was really like that. And that bus scene with the Compton Menace was legit. Dudes usta flash gang signs on buses and thought they were safe. We actually had rocks thrown at our bus and once was shot at because of that (bleep).

All in all, it was a very enjoyable flick. Going to see it again on Sunday with the old lady. Bye Felicia.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject:

Cube's son looks just like him back in the day.

"Bye Felicia" was the funniest part.

Really enjoyed the acting by Easy E's character.

I hope someone besides Paul Giamatti gets an Oscar nomination for this film.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

I liked this a lot. The concert scenes where absolutely great and the acting was superb.

I did feel like they got a little gratuitous at times. Did we really need to see Cube writing Friday? Did we really need to see Snoop and Pac? They brought those guys in, but they didn't really have much to do.

The first half of the movie was fantastic because it was really focused on the origin story, but the second half bogged down and meandered all over the place. I get wanting to pull the LA riots into it, but they sort of just brought it into the picture and didn't say anything real about it.

Like I said, really enjoyed the movie, but more focus in the second half could've made it even better.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject:

I wanna see this soooooo bad.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

I liked it. Can only wonder what my uncle would've thought as he used to own a business close to Audio Achievements, the Torrance studio where they recorded.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject:

I'm surprised that they didn't add the Death Row/ Ruthless beef in the movie. Great movie though. Just heard that there is gonna be a sequel.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
I'm surprised that they didn't add the Death Row/ Ruthless beef in the movie. Great movie though. Just heard that there is gonna be a sequel.

A Directors Cut with an hour and a half more footage will be released in the coming months as well.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Straight Outta Compton

C M B wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
C M B wrote:

I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and that's what the 10 was for (worthwhile). I just checked and found that it's 90% certified fresh on RT and is #1 in the country right now by $43m!

Enjoying a film is all I can ask for these days. I'm going to give it a go.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
I'm surprised that they didn't add the Death Row/ Ruthless beef in the movie.

I was wondering if they were going to. That's a bit of a bummer. But a sequel?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Universal is cleaning up this summer between this, Jurassic World and Furious 7.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Haven't seen it, but the reviews haven't been so good. Was expecting it to be a VH1 movie.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Haven't seen it, but the reviews haven't been so good. Was expecting it to be a VH1 movie.

lol what? I have literally not heard a single person that has seen it say that it was bad.

I'm gonna watch it in a bit.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:

I saw it twice I grew up on their music. Loved every part of it. There was just so much to tell in 2.5 hours and they did it perfectly
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

I was wondering why there wasn't a thread about this incredible movie. We have the Dr. Dre Compton album thread so I assumed that was for the movie as well.

This movie holds up to all the hype. Seriously well written and played.

Big props to Gary Gray, Ice Cube, and Dr. Dre.
They produced their asses off on this one. They painted a perfect picture.

There are a few in Eazy E'svfamily circle that said they missed a few things but overall this movie did a great job on expanding his legacy.

Great Movie!

I can't wait to get a copy of my own

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

Ahh noooo. It had one of the highest ratings for an opening week on Rotten Tomatoes. (93%)

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject:

saw it last night. very, very well done. enjoyed it from start to finish.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Just thinking what that NWA Family Tree added to Hip Hop. Don't think any other group had such an impact.

Cube - Mack 10, Dub C, Chris Tucker and Mike Epps in comedy

Eazy E - died too soon but Bone Thugs were huge

Dr. Dre - Snoop, Eminem, Game. Goes 1/2 with 50. Helps Xzibit go mainstream. Open doors for Warren G.

Just crazy.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Just thinking what that NWA Family Tree added to Hip Hop. Don't think any other group had such an impact.

Cube - Mack 10, Dub C, Chris Tucker and Mike Epps in comedy

Eazy E - died too soon but Bone Thugs were huge

Dr. Dre - Snoop, Eminem, Game. Goes 1/2 with 50. Helps Xzibit go mainstream. Open doors for Warren G.

Just crazy.

Snoop --> Eastsidaz, 213 --> Kurupt, Daz, Nate Dogg

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Hell from Eminem, D12, other half of 50, Royce da 5'9" and more underground Obie Trice.

From 50, that whole G-Unit clique
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Great movie. I thought Cube's son was perfect as him. The casting of the movie was excellent, as were the performances. Really enjoyed it, and recommended it to everybody no matter what their music tastes were, it's just a good story/movie.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject:

Also wish they had put the DOC's album in the mix. Dude dropped his album the year after Straight Outta Compton and it just took off. Then that accident.

Eazy Duz It
Straight Outta Compton
No One Can Do It Better

Ruthless was on a roll
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: