C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Good closer, I anticipate S2.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
32 wrote:
That was a nice house Strand brought the group to. Right on the beach. I wonder if the group is going with Strand on the Yacht "Abigail" with him or are they going to stick to the plan of going to the Desert. Travis mentioned meeting at the "camp ground" when he was talking to the two teens.

Does anyone know what part of LA Strand's house was located?

I'm kinda torn on whether they should take the yacht. On the one hand, it would be different than TWD's theme of constant wandering and fighting other humans for resources. On the other hand, it could get really boring having nothing to do but sit on the boat and talk.

pretty sure this is the house: link I imagine the shot the stuff by the water at a different location.

It's similar but I went through and watched the scenes at the house again and the house in the episode just looks different.

It is a gorgeous home. It made me remember why not being rich sucks.

Watched the Talking Dead after show and the producer pretty much confirmed the survivors will try to escape by sea.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Escape by sea! Very cool!
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know what part of LA Strand's house was located?

The end scenes were at sunken city in San Pedro. The house however, looked more like Palos Verdes. There are no mansions like that near sunken city and there is no way they could have heard the shot from Palos Verdes. So I'll suspend disbelief and say that the mansion was in San Pedro. I did enjoy seeing my old childhood stomping grounds though

Thanks!

yup!

It was also Turtle's house in the Entourage movie.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Good closer, I anticipate S2.

Late to the party. Just found out AMC can be viewed online with just a log-in. I'll save my hunting for more selective treasures me-hardy.

This show (bleep) all over WD it's not even funny. Literally on every level. This is why we can't have nice things that it's not getting the ratings. I need to stage a rally in Walmart.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:11 am; edited 2 times in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Escape by sea! Very cool!

Initially I thought Strand was going to show him a view of a ship or an island with zombies on it with the idea that "we're (bleep) son...we just need to keep on a' running". We'll see how it plays out.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject:

I wonder how much of season 2 will be of them sitting in a boat. Very smart plan but also very boring tv watching.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I wonder how much of season 2 will be of them sitting in a boat. Very smart plan but also very boring tv watching.

Well, they do need to eat.

While a boat can be their home base, they will need to go to land to get food beyond just fish.

Though it would be kind of neat to see them gather soil and seeds and actually start growing food on the boat.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject:

I've always thought it was pretty funny that this show is well-received here. JB, CMB, and a few others on this thread -- people whose taste I've always thought well of. I like this show a lot too....but if you read the comment threads on TV Review sites - the main one I lurk on is TV Club -- people (bleep) HATE this show with a passion. Think it's absolutely awful. Which is weird, considering the same people like shows like the Leftovers, BCS, and other shows that have done well here.

I don't get what it is about this show that turns people off. I liked season 1.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
I've always thought it was pretty funny that this show is well-received here. JB, CMB, and a few others on this thread -- people whose taste I've always thought well of. I like this show a lot too....but if you read the comment threads on TV Review sites - the main one I lurk on is TV Club -- people (bleep) HATE this show with a passion. Think it's absolutely awful. Which is weird, considering the same people like shows like the Leftovers, BCS, and other shows that have done well here.

I think a lot of people are fans of TWD and in tribal fashion instinctively will dislike something that isn't more of the same. For hwat it's worth, I think the buildup to the apocalypse that was the source of the tension and what made s1 great isn't something that can continue for FTWD. Future seasons is probably going to be more of the (bleep) show that TWD is now. Travel, meet new group, defeat or absorb group, move on. As long as FTWD can avoid the terrible D level dialogue and 3rd grade caliber attempts at character development that plagues TWD, it can stand on it's own. I don't see it happening though. Like TWD, the wad was probably blown in season 1.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/8/11390140/fear-the-walking-dead-season-2-review

here is a spoiler free review: there will be more zombies this time
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject:

not a bad opener. solid 8/10
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject:

I thought the opening was pretty dull.

Tough for then to have such a low key owning right after TWD's intense finale.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

I think a lot of people are fans of TWD and in tribal fashion instinctively will dislike something that isn't more of the same. For hwat it's worth, I think the buildup to the apocalypse that was the source of the tension and what made s1 great isn't something that can continue for FTWD. Future seasons is probably going to be more of the (bleep) show that TWD is now. Travel, meet new group, defeat or absorb group, move on. As long as FTWD can avoid the terrible D level dialogue and 3rd grade caliber attempts at character development that plagues TWD, it can stand on it's own. I don't see it happening though. Like TWD, the wad was probably blown in season 1.

I thought last night's episode was pretty much more of the same. Hardly any zombies and another dumb kid that gets the group into trouble. There was also some Lifetime-style drama mixed in.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:

I thought last night's episode was pretty much more of the same. Hardly any zombies and another dumb kid that gets the group into trouble. There was also some Lifetime-style drama mixed in.

It's like a triple dose of Carl with this show.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Dominator wrote:

Found a kid more annoying than Carl. Should have tossed his ass overboard as well.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Dominator wrote:

Found a kid more annoying than Carl. Should have tossed his ass overboard as well.

I was talking about the girl, but the boy is pretty damn annoying too
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject:

It's amazing how kids that are so bad at decision making survived the first wave of th zombie apocalypse.

Where's the nerdy fat kid?
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject:

Well these characters are still annoying. I like Strand, though.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

Yeah, me too. I also like Ruben Blades' character Daniel.

With these ZA movies and TV series the pragmatists are always the ones I get drawn to early on. When other characters, who are overwhelmed in the beginning, start to adjust they'll become less annoying. A prime example is Carol from TWD.
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I've never been a horror film or sc-fi kinda guy.

Zombie stuff never appealed to me, in video games as well as the big screen or TV.

That said, a buddy of mine promised that he and his wife would binge watch breaking bad if my lady and I binge watched Walking dead.

I've been hyping up breaking bad forever and he never budged until making this proposition.

So we agreed, and I gotta say, this show is incredible and we're about midway through season 6. (Glen just got eaten alive last episode we watched).

The greatness of the show really has little to do with the Walkers, Turners and Eaters (As the Governor called them) but more so the writing of the script and especially the character development.

Carol for example was my least favorite character in the beginning, and now she's pound for pound the baddest muther (shut yo mouth) on the show...

My question is this, is "Fear the walking dead" worth my time, as a person who really doesn't go for these shows based solely on the fact that it involves the the zombie slaying element or the carnage, but more so the shows that have captivating story lines, great acting, and good character development?

In other words, is it even close to the original "Walking dead"?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject:

MAJIC wrote:

Zombie stuff never appealed to me, in video games as well as the big screen or TV.

That said, a buddy of mine promised that he and his wife would binge watch breaking bad if my lady and I binge watched Walking dead.

I've been hyping up breaking bad forever and he never budged until making this proposition.

So we agreed, and I gotta say, this show is incredible and we're about midway through season 6. (Glen just got eaten alive last episode we watched).

The greatness of the show really has little to do with the Walkers, Turners and Eaters (As the Governor called them) but more so the writing of the script and especially the character development.

Carol for example was my least favorite character in the beginning, and now she's pound for pound the baddest muther (shut yo mouth) on the show...

My question is this, is "Fear the walking dead" worth my time, as a person who really doesn't go for these shows based solely on the fact that it involves the the zombie slaying element or the carnage, but more so the shows that have captivating story lines, great acting, and good character development?

It's definitely a very different vibe, but it also doesn't really focus on zombies. It's more about characters, but in a very different area.

I'd say that Fear is significantly slower paced. I expect things to pick up over the weeks. Season 2 of Fear isn't even at the point of the outbreak timeline that the regular Walking Dead show started at yet. There's still some confusion and the characters are still trying to get their head around the fact that something crazy is happening.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

They're probably setting Strand up to be this show's version of Shane, which means he likely won't be around very long.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

I think my favor for the show has come to an end. It only took one season to deplete its opportunities to show us a state, a nation, a planet in decay. That was its advantage over TWD. Now, unless the show runners have intentions for a another angle at the death of grand infrastructure in the rest of the story, they went only as far as showing the gradual failure of military troops before arriving at the narrative desert that is the original show. We're left with Strand, the most intelligent and most dynamic character, who will have to make it through the apocalypse trapped on a boat with a really bad sitcom.

Strand - if I had to guess he's someone who had a hand in whatever caused the epidemic...scientist? capitalist/investor in bioweapon?
Danny from Predator 2 - pretty cool character. Untrustworthy, willing to get his hands dirty
Smiley from training day - soft and lame. I'd say scrap him but he's the best actor
Joanie Stubbs - decent actor, character's potential for edginess is limited by her attachment to nice guy smiley and cardboard kids

Gil Grape, John Redcorn's son, and whomever else - filler

RIP FTWD
2015-2016
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
MAJIC wrote:

It's definitely a very different vibe, but it also doesn't really focus on zombies. It's more about characters, but in a very different area.

I'd say that Fear is significantly slower paced. I expect things to pick up over the weeks. Season 2 of Fear isn't even at the point of the outbreak timeline that the regular Walking Dead show started at yet. There's still some confusion and the characters are still trying to get their head around the fact that something crazy is happening.

Thanks for the insight.

I'll definitely give it a shot, just for the simple fact that I like WD a great deal.

Similar to the way I naturally gave better call Saul a shot after Breaking bad concluded. (Though it's not a prequel).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: