Kobe and Shaq Both Admit They Screwed Up When They Were Teammates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject:

la4win wrote:
Stephen A Smith just gave good take about their reconciliation. He said Kobe's respect to Shaq exponentially increased once he saw what he has with Coward.

"MFer, did you say this?!"

Damn, what a G.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
the money drove Shaq out. and if Shaq resigned anyway,Kobe would have gone to the Clippers... it was that simple.

I don't think the money would have been an issue if Shaq hadn't tapered off his conditioning/hunger, especially with the whole "on company time" debacle. But with where he was, the team simply couldn't risk Kobe leaving. They made the right call.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
KBH wrote:
I'm part of a minority that thinks Shaq was traded at just the right time. Shaq was in decline and only had one superstar level season left in (2004-05). And that was even with the motivation of trying to stick it to LA.

People might say well, if D-Wade can win with a declining Shaq, why can't Kobe? I'd say it would have been much more difficult for us because we had to play through the tough West and both Wade was still on a rookie contract at the time, which made it easier for Miami to put a cast around them that compensate for Shaq's decline. And even then, the team fell apart in a heap. Swept out of the first round a year after winning their ring and 17 wins the season after that. I'm thrilled with how things turned out.

Miami still had to play the WC champs so that's irrelevant. Kobe was playing at his highest form in 05-07. Had Shaq been there, there was still a huge title opportunity. Those were the worst team success seasons of Kobe's career until recently.

They could have easily have had one more in those 05-07 seasons.

He was still close to a 20/10 player in 05-06, so it's really more like two more seasons of All-Star production. Was a 17/7 guy in 06-07 but missed half the season due to injury.

They could have made another run in 04-05 and a weaker one in 05-06, especially given that that was Kobe's best year. Don't know if it would have been enough to get past the Spurs, Mavericks, and Pistons though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

I would have been satisfied had they won in 2004. But, 3 out of 4 bothers me to no end. Lakers had no business losing to that lousy team. Kobe and Shaq should have been enough to beat that team.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
2019 wrote:
KBH wrote:
I'm part of a minority that thinks Shaq was traded at just the right time. Shaq was in decline and only had one superstar level season left in (2004-05). And that was even with the motivation of trying to stick it to LA.

People might say well, if D-Wade can win with a declining Shaq, why can't Kobe? I'd say it would have been much more difficult for us because we had to play through the tough West and both Wade was still on a rookie contract at the time, which made it easier for Miami to put a cast around them that compensate for Shaq's decline. And even then, the team fell apart in a heap. Swept out of the first round a year after winning their ring and 17 wins the season after that. I'm thrilled with how things turned out.

Miami still had to play the WC champs so that's irrelevant. Kobe was playing at his highest form in 05-07. Had Shaq been there, there was still a huge title opportunity. Those were the worst team success seasons of Kobe's career until recently.

Getting through one WC team is easier than four. NBA basketball is all about matchups.

Not to mention the fact that Miami and Miami's wet dream of refereeing had to beat one Western team.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject:

This is nice in terms of their personal lives and feelings. But in terms of basketball, they shouldn't regret what happened after 2004. Shaq was already 32 and going down. He squeezed one more title with Wade, but you can clearly see he was carried by Wade, and furthermore, Wade had a free ALL YOU CAN SHOOT free throws buffet in the 06 playoffs.

I just don't see the Lakers getting anymore titles even if they wised up and "appreciated" each other from that point. Appreciating each other doesn't guarantee Shaq would have worked any harder on taking care of his body. Even in their primes, being on top of their games, they almost didn't come out of the west in 2 of their 3 titles. The game 7 miracle comeback in 2000 against the Blazers, and the Vlade tip out to Horry in 2002.. the Lakers could have easily lost these series, and this awesome duo would only have 1 title to show for their time together. So I absolutely do not buy that they could ave won many more titles.

If they kept Shaq around after 2004, history would have changed. We wouldn't be good enough, and we wouldn't have been bad enough for the rebuild. No caron, which means no Kwame, which means no Pau, and obviously no Odom. No Bynum cause we wouldn't have been bad enough for the 10 pick. Kobe may be stuck on 3 titles right now if they didn't trade Shaq.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KBH wrote:

Miami's cast around Shaq/Wade wasn't much to write home about. And Kobe was still better, IMO, than Wade at the time. I'm not for "if this then definitely that" but I feel strongly they would have won at least 1 more had they found a way to make it work.

This wasn't all Shaq's doing and it wasn't all Kobe's doing or Phil's either. But I do give them equal blame for not making it work.

That said, it ended up being better for Kob's legacy IMO because he got that "can't win as the clear cut #1" monkey off his back. Twice =)

I agree that Kobe was better than Wade and that Miami's supporting cast wasn't spectacular. But Miami's cast was good enough for a supporting cast that only had to get through a declining Detroit and one Western Conference team. A supporting cast with Shaq getting paid $30 million (his asking price to stay in Miami) and maxed Kobe probably isn't getting through the West.

Could they if Shaq was as motivated in 2004-05 assuming Shaq was as motivated in 2004-05 as a Laker as he was a member of the Heat? Possibly. I think the 2005 Suns would have given us fits and SA (who won that year) would have been tough. But I have hard time imagining it from 2006 onward. People forget that Shaq was getting passed around the league like that good stuff in January 2008.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
This is nice in terms of their personal lives and feelings. But in terms of basketball, they shouldn't regret what happened after 2004. Shaq was already 32 and going down. He squeezed one more title with Wade, but you can clearly see he was carried by Wade, and furthermore, Wade had a free ALL YOU CAN SHOOT free throws buffet in the 06 playoffs.

I just don't see the Lakers getting anymore titles even if they wised up and "appreciated" each other from that point. Appreciating each other doesn't guarantee Shaq would have worked any harder on taking care of his body. Even in their primes, being on top of their games, they almost didn't come out of the west in 2 of their 3 titles. The game 7 miracle comeback in 2000 against the Blazers, and the Vlade tip out to Horry in 2002.. the Lakers could have easily lost these series, and this awesome duo would only have 1 title to show for their time together. So I absolutely do not buy that they could ave won many more titles.

If they kept Shaq around after 2004, history would have changed. We wouldn't be good enough, and we wouldn't have been bad enough for the rebuild. No caron, which means no Kwame, which means no Pau, and obviously no Odom. No Bynum cause we wouldn't have been bad enough for the 10 pick. Kobe may be stuck on 3 titles right now if they didn't trade Shaq.

Yep. I never get all this chatter. Have people really forgotten that Shaq only had one superstar level season after he was traded (2004) and two all-star level seasons (2006, 2009) after that? We cashed out on Shaq at precisely the right time.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
JayLida wrote:
So all of you fair weather fans who blasted Kobe for Shaq leaving, hell some of you still do blast Kobe for Shaq leaving, what is your claim now?

To much ESPN in your diets would be my first guess.

Happy to hear both of them speaking the truth.

Shaq didn't leave.

Kobe drove him out.

Kobe wouldn't have had that kind of power. Only the FO did.

I know. I was just kidding. Just emulating the anti Kobe posters around here. Read my previous post.

I don't think there is anyone that thinks Kobe executed the trade, are there?

No, but there were some who thought that Kobe held the team hostage during free agency, in essence forcing a trade.

they were legion.. certain Kobe told them him or me..one of us has to go etc etc.... when.it was shaq demanding 38mil a year when he turned 38

Last edited by ContagiousInspiration on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

I agree in the end, it turned out fine.

Thank god.

Gasol, Odom, Return of Fisher, Kobe 81 points, three appearance in the Final, Beating Celtics in Game 7 here, beating Howard the year before, etc.

We had some great and enjoyable years.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
KBH wrote:
2019 wrote:
KBH wrote:

Getting through one WC team is easier than four. NBA basketball is all about matchups.

Not to mention the fact that Miami and Miami's wet dream of refereeing had to beat one Western team.

Damn straight!
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Shaq had a lot of lingering injuries as I recall...toes/feet, abs I think. Persuasive, but Shaq was just so dang talented, hard to see them not being in the running. But...you're convincing. Didn't realize Shaq was that old already.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject:

I disagree that Miami didn't have a good supporting cast.

Without Haslem and Mourning's timely defensive stops, even with Wade's freebies to the line, Miami would have lost by quite a bit.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Yep. I never get all this chatter. Have people really forgotten that Shaq only had one superstar level season after he was traded (2004) and two all-star level seasons (2006, 2009) after that? We cashed out on Shaq at precisely the right time.

Just like we can't think that we would have for sure one more rings, there's no way to say or prove that Kobe would be stuck on 3.

Who's to say Shaq doesn't retire and with all that cap space we signed another superstar?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
KBH wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Just like we can't think that we would have for sure one more rings, there's no way to say or prove that Kobe would be stuck on 3.

Who's to say Shaq doesn't retire and with all that cap space we signed another superstar?

yes good point (bolded). Kobe's extra rings definitely are more meaningful. If Kobe ever got Wade treatment in the Finals, he'd be 7/7 instead of 5/7. Detroit was straight robbery...I used to say it was the worst one I've seen until I saw 2006. And the first Celtics Finals had a healthy dose of it too.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject:

this is the ultimately spinnable event, where anyone can blame anyone they want and apologize for anyone they want. bottom line: both shaq and kobe screwed up. but they did what they needed to do at the time, and each went on to win rings without the other, so maybe it's just what needed to happen and maybe what happened is actually best for all involved.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject:

The breakup ultimately enhanced Kobe's legacy and probably hurt Shaq's. If they had stayed together and say ended up with 6 rings total, the narrative would always be "Kobe won 6 rings... but couldn't do it without Shaq". Whereas Shaq didn't really have anything to prove after the 3peat, the only thing that could enhance his legacy was more rings and he only was able to get 1 more.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
KBH wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Shaq retiring and Kobe playing with a different superstar isn't relevant in a discssion about how much Kobe and Shaq could have won if Shaq hadn't gotten traded.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject:

This is BS, everyone knows Slava was the lynchpin of that lakers team.

!...
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject:

The final nail in the coffin of the duo was when Shaq started feeding into the narrative that Kobe would be a slightly above average player without Shaq drawing double teams.

Kobe himself said that once that happened there was no way he'd agree to play with Shaq again.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject:

In short, whether it's Shaq resigning or leaving, both options come out with a legacy.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
This is BS, everyone knows Slava was the lynchpin of that lakers team.

Of course. But BSPN will never report it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject:

The only way Shaq and Kobe would've won even one more title after 04 was if they had a good enough supporting cast. We would've needed to build a whole new team around them. Malone was about to retire and hobbled. Payton was a shell of his former self. Fox was basically done and Horry had already left. What we really needed was young role players, one of them being almost all-star caliber. But if Shaq got his $30+ million and Kobe got his $20 million, we would've only had the MLE to offer, making it almost impossible to have a strong enough team to serious contend.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject:

They just took that Pistons team way too lightly. Like they were the nets or sixers. By the time they figured it out they were in Detroit for 3 straight down 0-2.

The one in Boston will always sting, but Kobe has 8 if he and shaq could have learned to play nice.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:
The breakup ultimately enhanced Kobe's legacy and probably hurt Shaq's. If they had stayed together and say ended up with 6 rings total, the narrative would always be "Kobe won 6 rings... but couldn't do it without Shaq". Whereas Shaq didn't really have anything to prove after the 3peat, the only thing that could enhance his legacy was more rings and he only was able to get 1 more.

I can't see them winning 3 more in LA after losing in 2003 and 2004. But you are right that Kobe would have been seen as a sidekick like Scottie Pippen if he stayed with Shaq. A lot of people still give Kobe credit for only 2 titles because they say he wasn't "the man" when he won with Shaq.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: