US Now Experienceing 1 Mass Shooting per Day on Average
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: US Now Experienceing 1 Mass Shooting per Day on Average

Quote:
Aug. 26 is the 238th day of the year. And with the fatal shooting in Virginia today — in which a gunman shot himself after killing two reporters and wounding one more person — plus the shooting of four during a Minneapolis home invasion, the number of mass shooting incidents has risen to 247 for the year.

These numbers are compiled by the moderators of the GunsAreCool subreddit, a sarcastically named community that tracks gun violence in America. They define "mass shooting" as any single incident in which at least four people are shot, including the gunman. The tracker comes in for some criticism because its definition is broader than the FBI's definition, which requires three or more people to be killed by gunfire. But the broader definition is nonetheless a useful one, because it captures many high-profile instances of violence — like the recent Lafayette theater shootings — that don't meet the FBI's criteria.

Guns Are Cool
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:

We're #1!
We're #1!
We're #1!
We're #1!
We're #1!
We're #1!
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject:

As long as people get paid for glorifying violence in movies, tv and music then nobody is gonna give a (bleep).
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
As long as people get paid for glorifying violence in movies, tv and music then nobody is gonna give a (bleep).

Or maybe... and I know this will sound crazy... we make sensible gun laws.

Ban high capacity magazines, expand the 24 hour gun background check to make it universal, and re-institute the assault weapons ban immediately.

I stole that word for word from here.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Ban high capacity magazines, expand the 24 hour gun background check to make it universal, and re-institute the assault weapons ban immediately.

the social influences are more of a cause than the ability to buy the weapons.

did the reporter shooter use any of the above items?

also..I'm stealing this from Trey.. maybe if our country didn't kill so many brown people in far away lands and teach our citizens so much about divisiveness and collateral damage being the solution then our citizenry would understand and use self compassion instead of self hate.. a person really has to hate themselves to murder another.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

also..I'm stealing this from Trey.. maybe if our country didn't kill so many brown people in far away lands and teach our citizens so much about divisiveness and collateral damage being the solution then our citizenry would understand and use self compassion instead of self hate.. a person really has to hate themselves to murder another.

Gun violence and mass shootings are less frequent in Westernized countries with stricter gun laws than ours. That's why I think sensible gun laws is the most prudent step forward.

I think our foreign policy has improved since Bush left office. But we still have a ways to go.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Sandy Hook happened and nothing changed.....I don't expect much changes unless something utterly catastrophic happens....
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Sandy Hook happened and nothing changed.....I don't expect much changes unless something utterly catastrophic happens....

Think about that (bleep) for a second. Not good that it happened at a high school (Columbine) or a Univeristy (VA Tech). But when a 20 year old dude strolls into an elementary school, shoots up six, seven and eight year old kids and nothing is really done, you know we have serious issues.

Just funny that all this (bleep) happens here on a regular. Like clockwork. Obvious we can't control ourselves.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject:

England made personal firearms illegal to own. America should do the same and repeal the 2nd amendment
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Gun violence and mass shootings are less frequent in Westernized countries with stricter gun laws than ours. That's why I think sensible gun laws is the most prudent step forward.

I think our foreign policy has improved since Bush left office. But we still have a ways to go.

I really think it is a function of both. We have a tendency to want to point the finger at one particular thing.

But couldn't it be argued that the reason we produce the type of music, TV, and movies that we do is simply a reflection of our interest in weapons?

We need a culture change but we also need stricter gun laws. One won't help without the other.

Gun violence is also less frequent in countries with more lax gun policies than ours. For instance, Switzerland legally requires nearly every male head of household to own a gun and their ownership rates are high relative to other countries just like ours is.

On the one hand, a cultural shift would mean we don't need stricter laws. On the other, perhaps firearms are so deeply rooted in our culture here, that only stricter laws has a reasonable chance to curb the violence.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
England made personal firearms illegal to own. America should do the same and repeal the 2nd amendment

Not going to happen. Firearms are part of the cultural identity of wide swathes of the country. To them it would be the equivalent of the government trying to ban alcohol because of the amount of violence and innocent deaths that arise from alcohol abuse.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

And Switzerland made it a legal requirement for males to own a firearm.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Not going to happen. Firearms are part of the cultural identity of wide swathes of the country. To them it would be the equivalent of the government trying to ban alcohol because of the amount of violence and innocent deaths that arise from alcohol abuse.

A 2nd amendment appeal will never happen and it doesn't need to. I can respect people's traditions and customs with legal and safe gun use. I can respect legal and humane hunting practices. I can respect going to a range and shooting for fun. But there needs to be much, much stricter regulation of gun ownership and severe penalties for violations. The process of acquiring a gun can't be as easy as it is today.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

A 2nd amendment appeal will never happen and it doesn't need to. I can respect people's traditions and customs with legal and safe gun use. I can respect legal and humane hunting practices. I can respect going to a range and shooting for fun. But there needs to be much, much stricter regulation of gun ownership and severe penalties for violations. The process of acquiring a gun can't be as easy as it is today.

Speaking of which ..... does anyone have access to data on what percentage of gun-related crimes, could be attributed to a properly registered weapon?

Without seeing data, I have to believe the vast majority of gun-related deaths are at the hands of an unregistered user. (So that would include someone stealing a properly registered gun and using it to kill).
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

Pretty stupid and idiotic culture if you ask me.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

It is particularly ironic that in the old west, which is the poster child for gun culture, some of the smarter and more effective lawmen banned guns inside the town limits. Because even they recognized the danger of guns in urban areas filled with people.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ocho wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

It is particularly ironic that in the old west, which is the poster child for gun culture, some of the smarter and more effective lawmen banned guns inside the town limits. Because even they recognized the danger of guns in urban areas filled with people.

The military recognised the same in banning guns on base (even though presumably practically everyone on base is extremely well trained in the use of firearms) Heck even police are not allowed to bring guns inside a county jail, even though they're surrounded by criminals. There are plenty of place where people accept infringement upon their right to bear arms.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ocho wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

I'm just not sure creating laws is going to curb the issues though. There are already laws that outlaw shooting people. And even if we are by some miracle, able to restrict the world-leading supply of firearms we have here (I think we have more guns than people which is scary), criminals will have other means to obtain them in the same way they do drugs.

That's not to say we shouldn't modify the law. I just think a cultural change is ultimately what needs to happen.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject:

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

Deputy Darren H. Goforth and his loved ones might be debating your wish for everyone to have guns.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

I have no problems with gun rights, but the NRA doesn't want any exceptions or restrictions making it harder for people who might be mentally ill to acquire guns. As long as nothing changes, don't except a decrease in mass shootings either.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

Very interesting and telling snipping of the language there.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

Deputy Darren H. Goforth and his loved ones might be debating your wish for everyone to have guns.

This from the same people that do everything in their power to bash police want to somehow use this to deny others 2nd admen rights? Really... It appears this fellow LEO was killed because of his uniform and seeing since people like you have now created an environment for this to be common place. I think you really should shut up.

Don’t use this as a "cause" to take away gun rights.

As for rights.. I would like that we respect and upheld everybody’s rights gays, black, white, gun owners, writers, singers, comedy ect... I am a strong believer in that you can’t have the 1st without the 2nd. It’s my right to keep and bear arms as i choose. Nobody is forcing you to do the same because after all it’s your RIGHT not to do so. I'm fine with that but please don’t tread on mine.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

This from the same people that do everything in their power to bash police want to somehow use this to deny others 2nd admen rights? Really... It appears this fellow LEO was killed because of his uniform and seeing since people like you have now created an environment for this to be common place. I think you really should shut up.

Don’t use this as a "cause" to take away gun rights.

As for rights.. I would like that we respect and upheld everybody’s rights gays, black, white, gun owners, writers, singers, comedy ect... I am a strong believer in that you can’t have the 1st without the 2nd. It’s my right to keep and bear arms as i choose. Nobody is forcing you to do the same because after all it’s your RIGHT not to do so. I'm fine with that but please don’t tread on mine.

[Inappropriate insult deleted. Next time it's a suspension. -CL]
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: