Is the All-Star Balloting Rigged? Will McGrady and Yao ALWAYS be All-Stars starters?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spyddee
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Is the All-Star Balloting Rigged? Will McGrady and Yao ALWAYS be All-Stars starters?

I saw this topic in another site. It said something that they think they rig the balloting because they(grady and yao) made it and since the all star game is going to be in Houston....I think its because all of china votes them in...and mcgradys jersey sells more in china then yaos..so it all makes sense..it was funny how stephen a smith was talking (bleep) about yao last night on the jason kidd episode..he said that yao hasnt done anything and that the rockets were playing below 500 and he shouldnt be in the all star game..it was funny...
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

Yao and McGrady do not get most of their votes from china. They might be voted in by chinese fans here but I sincerely doubt that china swings the vote that much. I believe a couple of years ago they released figures that showed Yao beat shaq in votes recieved here in USA.

Anyway this isn't the first time injured superstars on sucky teams have made it. A lot of people just vote by the name, and both Yao and McGrady are big names in the NBA brand. The starters are a popularity contest, the remaining 7 are players picked on merit.
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is the All-Star Balloting Rigged? Will McGrady and Yao ALWAYS be All-Stars starters?

spyddee wrote:
I saw this topic in another site. It said something that they think they rig the balloting because they(grady and yao) made it and since the all star game is going to be in Houston....I think its because all of china votes them in...and mcgradys jersey sells more in china then yaos..so it all makes sense..it was funny how stephen a smith was talking (bleep) about yao last night on the jason kidd episode..he said that yao hasnt done anything and that the rockets were playing below 500 and he shouldnt be in the all star game..it was funny...

I dont think making it to the All-Star game should depend on a winning record. I should be based on talent, skill, finese. McGrady is AWESOME (he is a talented scoring machine w/ sick dunk which excite people). Who would you rather want Tayson Prince, Rip Hamilton, Raja Bell??
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Is the All-Star Balloting Rigged? Will McGrady and Yao ALWAYS be All-Stars starters?

K8KillerInstinct wrote:
spyddee wrote:

I dont think making it to the All-Star game should depend on a winning record. I should be based on talent, skill, finese. McGrady is AWESOME (he is a talented scoring machine w/ sick dunk which excite people). Who would you rather want Tayson Prince, Rip Hamilton, Raja Bell??

2 of those guys play in the eastern conference, so they clearly couldn't replace mcgrady. how about a player that's actually played a majority of the season? but it is the fans vote, the coaches play the players they need to win, so it's not necessarily the starters that play the most minutes in the games.
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Is the All-Star Balloting Rigged? Will McGrady and Yao ALWAYS be All-Stars starters?

vkewalra wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:
spyddee wrote:

2 of those guys play in the eastern conference, so they clearly couldn't replace mcgrady. how about a player that's actually played a majority of the season? but it is the fans vote, the coaches play the players they need to win, so it's not necessarily the starters that play the most minutes in the games.

Ok fine. Lets look at the Spurs: Manu Ginobli, Bruce Bowen
Suns: Bell, Marion
Dallas: Finley, Dirk

All those players are good, but nothing compared to McGrady. Anybody would agree that McGrady is second best to Kobe in the West.
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

China's votes only count as a percentage of the votes. It's really just the popularity that gets all the players to become starters. It's almost a given that the most popular players will always start. Shaq usually lost it to Yao? Why? because there's lots of people who hate on Shaq as well. Remember Vince Carter? he won the starting role over Michael Jordan when he was with the Wizards, simply because he was more popular at the time.

That's why sports analysts always criticize how the Starters get picked because the fans regardless who it is, if the player is popular they will always vote for him to start. Like Grant Hill, all those times he was injured he was still voted to be a starter.

It's not a conspiracy, it's just biased fans.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

Fans vote - online no less

Blame the ignorant masses

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

China
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is the All-Star Balloting Rigged? Will McGrady and Yao ALWAYS be All-Stars starters?

K8KillerInstinct wrote:
vkewalra wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:
spyddee wrote:

All those players are good, but nothing compared to McGrady. Anybody would agree that McGrady is second best to Kobe in the West.

Uhhhh, how about KG? That's the perennial Western Conference All-star he's replacing. But like I said the coach will decide who plays the most, being a starter is just a popularity contest, not necessarily who the best player is.
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:

vvbandit wrote:
China

spyddee
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:

Ok well i can see the point of Mcgrady being popular but Yao...i dont think he is that popular....I dont think he deserves being a starter....
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is the All-Star Balloting Rigged? Will McGrady and Yao ALWAYS be All-Stars starters?

[quote="K8KillerInstinct"]
spyddee wrote:

McGrady is awesome WHEN HE'S PLAYING. KG should be the other foward starting, but because there is a billion people in china Mcgrady is starting.
How about you figure who plays in what conference before you try defending a post.
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is the All-Star Balloting Rigged? Will McGrady and Yao ALWAYS be All-Stars starters?

vkewalra wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:
vkewalra wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:
spyddee wrote:

Uhhhh, how about KG? That's the perennial Western Conference All-star he's replacing. But like I said the coach will decide who plays the most, being a starter is just a popularity contest, not necessarily who the best player is.

KG? KG(PF-C) is a totally different player than McGrady (F-G). Besides McGrady is better than KG or I am not really sure (they are both good).
Billy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

COuld some one tell me that Camby woulda been voted in without votes from China? Would you buy ticket to see Yao ro Camby if given the choice? Allstar starters are popularity figures... As long as there are more people want to see Yao, he will be voted in the allstar game ...

Oh man, good centers are so rare these days ....
AmoebaD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:

>535<

It's because Tracy McGrady is considered a forward this year so, you've got three forwards there and Tracy McGrady is the most popular, so he gets in there first and then Tim Duncan (because he's actually won championships) and then Kevin Garnett (who would probably be there on top if he was on the Lakers ). Then the two guards are pretty obvious: Kobe and Nash and the center, there aren't very many centers out west, so the default choice at center is Yao Ming, even if he isn't much better than Zildrunas Illgauskas.

I mean, Tracy McGrady was probably shifted to forward so that Steve Nash has a fighting chance at the starting line-up, but then if you don't boot steve nash out then who do you boot...? The answer of course is Kevin Garnett.

If you shifted Kevin Garnett to center then you'd see him top Yao because people would vote for him at center rather than the default choice which is currently Yao. It's not really a popularity contest per se at that center choice, I mean, Yao ain't that good.

You Can't Always Get What You Want
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is the All-Star Balloting Rigged? Will McGrady and Yao ALWAYS be All-Stars starters?

K8KillerInstinct wrote:
vkewalra wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:
vkewalra wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:
spyddee wrote:

KG? KG(PF-C) is a totally different player than McGrady (F-G). Besides McGrady is better than KG or I am not really sure (they are both good).

Players are voted in as either a G an F or a C. KG is an F, as is McGrady. It doesn't matter which position they typically play (3 or 4) for all-star voting. KG has played SF for Minnesota in the past and was quite effective. I'm sure KG will be finishing the game (if it's close) and that's really all that matters. Besides TMac may put his shoes on wrong and hurt something.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the All-Star Balloting Rigged? Will McGrady and Yao ALWAYS be All-Stars starters?

vkewalra wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:
vkewalra wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:
vkewalra wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:
spyddee wrote:

Players are voted in as either a G an F or a C. KG is an F, as is McGrady. It doesn't matter which position they typically play (3 or 4) for all-star voting. KG has played SF for Minnesota in the past and was quite effective. I'm sure KG will be finishing the game (if it's close) and that's really all that matters. Besides TMac may put his shoes on wrong and hurt something.

Thank you! And, Tmac is better than KG?
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Eventually the all-star game will consist only of chinese players or teammates of chinese players. To be fair the NBA should take the number of oversea votes from China and divide them by 2 million.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:

OshadowO wrote:
Yao and McGrady do not get most of their votes from china. They might be voted in by chinese fans here but I sincerely doubt that china swings the vote that much. I believe a couple of years ago they released figures that showed Yao beat shaq in votes recieved here in USA.

Anyway this isn't the first time injured superstars on sucky teams have made it. A lot of people just vote by the name, and both Yao and McGrady are big names in the NBA brand. The starters are a popularity contest, the remaining 7 are players picked on merit.

Are you kidding me?

Look up China's population and tell me that again

Trust me, even though the NBA isn't nearly as big over there, they have a
significant impact on the voting.
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

I thought we've already been through this? Can't believe the ignorance. :roll: :roll: :roll:

USA Population 295,734,134
Internet Usage Statistics:
203,824,428 Internet users as of Dec./2005, 68.1% of the population, according to Nielsen//NetRating

China Population 1,306,313,812 China Has 111 Million Internet Users
CNNIC Jan. 17, 2005 - By the end of 2005, the total number of Internet users in mainland China reached 111 million, a 17 million increase over 2004. Total number of online computers: 49.5 million, website: 694,200, and the total number of ".cn" domain registration is 1,096,924.

China has four times the population America has yet has half the amount of internet users the US has. You guys need to stop being so ignorant. Yao led all UNITED STATES votes over all centers over the past few years. It is what it is. This is the All-Star voting system for the NBA so deal with it or don't watch the All-Star game, simple as that. You guys don't need to bash a whole country though.

How many people in China do you think can afford computers and internet service? Do you guys know what China's terrain looks like? You assume they have telephone lines and cable lines running across the rivers and valleys and mountain sides of China? Some cities in America don't have cable internet service do you think a billion Chinese, a lot of whom are poor live like we do here in the US? Like someone else said already "this happens every year". Do me a favor, close your eyes or something when TMac and Yao enter the game, don't watch the game at all, boycott.
Nynuk
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
OshadowO wrote:

Are you kidding me?

Look up China's population and tell me that again

Trust me, even though the NBA isn't nearly as big over there, they have a
significant impact on the voting.

Look up the number of Chinese with internet access. Assuming that all the people in China give a rat's ass, which i seriously doubt, there are only something like 100 million with internet access. That's half of what it is in the US. Overall population has very little to do with this. You have to have the means to vote.

On top of that, who knows what the NBA interest level is in China? Many basketball fans in the US, with all the appropriate resources, don't even bother to vote. If 100 million Chinese people care enough to outvote our 200 million internet users, then it's our own fault. Or maybe it's something else: maybe American fans like Yao too.

I think up to 500,000 of Yao's votes were internet votes from China. David Wesley got 280,000, so that's a decent indication of the scale. That number of votes was probably what put him over the top against Shaq a few years ago, but subtract that many from this year's total and he still has twice as many as Camby. I wish the nba would just release the numbers to put an end to all this garbage, even though some people would ignore it and keep on hating.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing. What is up with all the lies and misinformation about Yao? Steven A. Smith and other fools complain about him being an allstar, saying that he is injury prone, and not playing well. He has been playing the best ball of his career, and he's putting up numbers similar to Jermaine O'neal, who no one seems to mind starting the allstar game (before injury). In addition, this is the only time he's ever been injured, and it's basically a result of playing on a bad toe until his bone got infected. Just out of curiosity, is there anyone around here who still wouldn't trade Odom for him? Because there seemed to be many before the season started.
GMWEST
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Well, I think it is great you guys found all these stats on internet users. The only problem is that you can throw ALL those stats out the window. China has an organized operation that insures that Yao is in the All Star game. China goverment mandates that Yao is in the game. Part of David Sterns global NBA was to get international interest in the NBA and this one concession that the NBA made to get Yao to America.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

4OnTheFloor wrote:
vvbandit wrote:
China

Yes,... for at least Yao....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

GMWEST wrote:
Well, I think it is great you guys found all these stats on internet users. The only problem is that you can throw ALL those stats out the window. China has an organized operation that insures that Yao is in the All Star game. China goverment mandates that Yao is in the game. Part of David Sterns global NBA was to get international interest in the NBA and this one concession that the NBA made to get Yao to America.

It goes further than that. Yao was part of the GATT (General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade) trade agreement, and a pivotal negotiating point to get China into the World Trade Association. Further, Yao was also the focal point for preventing the U.S. from invading North Korea, and for allowing the continued suppression of Tibet. Last, Yao will be a negotiating point for all space-based weapon treaties, as long as he's guaranteed a spot in NBA All Star Games until the year 2020.
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Well, we can all agree that, all things being equal, the NBA prefers that a player be born in another country rather than in the United States.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: