Who's the better tandem: 90s Stockton/Malone or Westbrook/Durant?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Better the better tandem?
Stockton/Malone
78%
 78%  [ 37 ]
Westbrook/Durant
21%
 21%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 47

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Who's the better tandem: 90s Stockton/Malone or Westbrook/Durant?

Stockton/Malone made it to 1 more NBA final.
But they had the better coach (Sloan).

Just wondering what LG thinks.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject:

too early for me
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

I think Westbrook and Durant are better individual players, but Stockton and Malone played better together
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Malone is probably the 2nd best PF of all time and Stockton is probably Top 3 PGs.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Malone is probably the 2nd best PF of all time and Stockton is probably Top 3 PGs.

yea. as much as i like westbrook and durant, no way. stockton was crazy good...basically as good as nash in passing and shooting, and tenacious defense on top of it. and i don't agree with duncan being the best pf but yea malone is like a PF standard. i was rooting for them to beat the bulls.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook and Durant are great players but I don't think they're always on the same page. Stockton and Malone played like they had telepathy.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject:

The Stockton/Malone duo sets an awfully high bar to surpass. So far, Westy and Durant are on a very similar trajectory, towards the same level.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
The Stockton/Malone duo sets an awfully high bar to surpass. So far, Westy and Durant are on a very similar trajectory, towards the same level.

you think? They don't complement each other very well, that i see. Stockton and malone were extremely complementary players. malone wasn't a ball dominant guy, durant and westbrook both are. Isn't that the problem everyone talks about with them? It's a real confusing situation...there are times where it's hard (as a coach) to figure out who should have the ball. I just don't think they will get anywhere near the kind of 'nother level success that stockton and malone had.

the only curious thing for me is that this new NBA is a little different in that you can succeed with two gaurds like that. Even though durant isn't a guard technically, he really is. Warriors were able to get a ring, so they can too. Still, i'd prefer to have a little bit more complementary players. If i were either of them, I'd consider going to another team with a better fit, if rings were my goal. but they're ok either way.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Stockton and Malone complemented each other. Durant and Westbrook seem to compete for shots on their own teams and are a bit conflicting in that sense.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Stockton and Malone complemented each other. Durant and Westbrook seem to compete for shots on their own teams and are a bit conflicting in that sense.

I don't think Russ and KD compliment each other the way Stock/Malone did, but I have never bought the idea that they're competing for the ball or not complimenting each other. Those guys really like each other, and lineups featuring the both of them routinely decimate opponents. It's when they're not on the floor together that OKC falls apart.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Durant and Westbrook, not even close.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Stockton and Malone pick and roll was so frickin boring. But they executed it with such deadly efficiency.

Durant and Westbrook have never clicked the way that Stockton and Malone did.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Question: Why do people always rank Garnett over Malone?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Stockton and Malone worked better together....Westbrook and Durant are both superior individual players.
rmonkey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

I don't. I agree with the previous poster: Karl Malone is the 2ed best PF ever.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Old Malone still held his own against prime Garnett.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject:

rmonkey wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I don't. I agree with the previous poster: Karl Malone is the 2ed best PF ever.

KG was the better 2-way player, but Malone was by far the better offensive talent. But, I cant say I've seen anyone put KG over Malone.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

I don't know where you got this perception, but I generally see Malone ranked ahead of Garnett, though they are close and in the same general tier.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Is Charles Barkley in the top 5 PF of all time?

I have:

1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. KG
4. McHale
5. Dirk
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Old Malone still held his own against prime Garnett.

Prime Duncan too, he gave him fits in the Spurs series for us
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

I don't know that there's any "always" about it.

Among Laker fans, there's probably a tilt towards Malone in two senses: first, that Karl proved a good teammate here and gave a heroic season for us at a very advanced career stage. Second, Garnett declared he'd never play for a Western states team, so there's probably a resentment about that.

In terms of attitude, I never liked Garnett's petty hard-ass pretense.

But overall to me, if one prefers (or needs or values) a better scorer, Karl's got to be considered the better guy. If one prefers a more mobile, more versatile (three position) defender, KG's probably the more frequent pick.

If I had to choose one over the other for some personal dream team, I'd pick Karl for the reasons mentioned.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Is Charles Barkley in the top 5 PF of all time?

I have:

1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. KG
4. McHale
5. Dirk

After Duncan and Malone, there doesn't seem to be a strong consensus on how to order the next slots. But the guys in the scramble tend to be McHale, KG, Barkley, Dirk, Bob Pettit, and Elvin Hayes.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
70sdude wrote:

you think? They don't complement each other very well, that i see. Stockton and malone were extremely complementary players. malone wasn't a ball dominant guy, durant and westbrook both are. Isn't that the problem everyone talks about with them? It's a real confusing situation...there are times where it's hard (as a coach) to figure out who should have the ball. I just don't think they will get anywhere near the kind of 'nother level success that stockton and malone had.

the only curious thing for me is that this new NBA is a little different in that you can succeed with two gaurds like that. Even though durant isn't a guard technically, he really is. Warriors were able to get a ring, so they can too. Still, i'd prefer to have a little bit more complementary players. If i were either of them, I'd consider going to another team with a better fit, if rings were my goal. but they're ok either way.

Well, I think Westbrook and Durant are highly complementary as teammates but there are differences when compared to Stockton-Malone. I look at Stockton as the feeder type PG and primarily a reliable counter-puncher as a scorer to Malone. Westbrook is the superior player of his duo, a better defender and better clutch player compared to Durant. Durant is a terrific player but he's overrated in pop media IMO; he's nearly the anti-clutch guy. Westbrook gets the nod IMO as having the tougher PG job, having to feed and score and rebound and defend as well as - if not better than - his partner. I think Durant shrinks from pressure; I don't blame that on his pairing with Westbrook.

Durant is not a guard, but he has good guard skills for a 6'10" man; he's the remake in a sense of Ralph Sampson, who also had good guard skills for a 7'4" man and was not a guard.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Well, I think Westbrook and Durant are highly complementary as teammates but there are differences when compared to Stockton-Malone. I look at Stockton as the feeder type PG and primarily a reliable counter-puncher as a scorer to Malone. Westbrook is the superior player of his duo, a better defender and better clutch player compared to Durant. Durant is a terrific player but he's overrated in pop media IMO; he's nearly the anti-clutch guy. Westbrook gets the nod IMO as having the tougher PG job, having to feed and score and rebound and defend as well as - if not better than - his partner. I think Durant shrinks from pressure; I don't blame that on his pairing with Westbrook.

Durant is not a guard, but he has good guard skills for a 6'10" man; he's the remake in a sense of Ralph Sampson, who also had good guard skills for a 7'4" man and was not a guard.

I don't know if I agree about highly complementary...especially compared to Stockton and Malone, which is almost the epitome of complementary players. You don't think you are overrating the durant/westbrook combo there?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
70sdude wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
70sdude wrote:

I don't know if I agree about highly complementary...especially compared to Stockton and Malone, which is almost the epitome of complementary players. You don't think you are overrating the durant/westbrook combo there?

No. I'd take Westbrook over Stockton in combination with any other player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: