Michael Brown Shooting By Police Sparks Vigil, Protest, Looting And Calls For Federal Probe
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Michael Brown Shooting By Police Sparks Vigil, Protest, Looting And Calls For Federal Probe

LINK
I await the results of the investigation. There are two sides to the story.

The police say Brown pushed the officer back into his car and attempted to take his gun.

A witness says Brown put his hands up when he was shot. The officer then shot him multiple times.

People living in Ferguson say outsiders started the looting. It's been front page CNN all morning. I woke about 3:00am to see what I assume to be the beginning of the story.

Ferguson Police Department has handed to investigation to outside agencies. St Louis County, Missouri Police is the lead agency. The FBI is investigating the incident.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

Apparently there is no video of what happened. I fear this one will never be fully understood. Its a shame. In todays racially divided America, im not sure we can take anyones word on either side of the story.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
Apparently there is no video of what happened. I fear this one will never be fully understood. Its a shame. In todays racially divided America, im not sure we can take anyones word on either side of the story.

Mark O'Mara said forensics will show who was telling the truth.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous has entered the fray
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Uniformed, on duty officers should all be required to wear Google Glass or some equivalent, recording at all times. All footage streamed and held off site for a period of a few months, and accessible only through court order and never by the police themselves. I've said it many times, and I'll keep saying it. This would protect both civilians and officers alike.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

I'm having trouble giving credence to the officer's version of events. A kid starting college on Monday is going to try to assault a police officer by shoving him back into the police car while simultaneously trying to take his gun? How does that make sense?

And even if that was true, apparently the kid was shot when he was 35 feet away from the officer, which means even if the officer's version is true, the kid had disengaged and the officer was in no immediate danger. Getting shoved and having a kid try and fail to get your gun doesn't give you license to gun him down in the street when he's 35 feet away. If he's right next to you and still trying to take your gun, sure, but unless the kid was secretly telekinetic you are pretty safe when he's three dozen feet away.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
I'm having trouble giving credence to the officer's version of events. A kid starting college on Monday is going to try to assault a police officer by shoving him back into the police car while simultaneously trying to take his gun? How does that make sense?

And even if that was true, apparently the kid was shot when he was 35 feet away from the officer, which means even if the officer's version is true, the kid had disengaged and the officer was in no immediate danger. Getting shoved and having a kid try and fail to get your gun doesn't give you license to gun him down in the street when he's 35 feet away. If he's right next to you and still trying to take your gun, sure, but unless the kid was secretly telekinetic you are pretty safe when he's three dozen feet away.

10 years ago, my younger, naive me would believe the cops version because cops don't lie. Now I would not be surprised, and actually expect, this cop to have lied about what happened. Hopefully the looting stops so the bigger message of the protest does not go to waste.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Uniformed, on duty officers should all be required to wear Google Glass or some equivalent, recording at all times. All footage streamed and held off site for a period of a few months, and accessible only through court order and never by the police themselves. I've said it many times, and I'll keep saying it. This would protect both civilians and officers alike.

I doubt it. There are already cameras EVERYWHERE. the first thing people do when anything happens is pull out their phones and start recording. There seems to be a new video every week of a police officer doing something they shouldn't, and it still hasn't stopped them. They don't care if they're being recorded because they know they can get away with it. It's disturbing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

I wish all law enforcement vehicles have the MVR (mobile recording device). I had a case where the MVR absolutely torpedoed a cop's narrative about getting probable cause for a search on a car. After reviewing the video (which he said was not working, another lie), it was not the "suspect" who had criminal charges pressed against him but the officer.

Unfortunately, the state prosecutor couldn't get a criminal conviction. Nevertheless, the MVR was as objective as you can get. And it spared someone from going to jail (though the person did have an illegal handgun, it was illegally obtained).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I wish all law enforcement vehicles have the MVR (mobile recording device). I had a case where the MVR absolutely torpedoed a cop's narrative about getting probable cause for a search on a car. After reviewing the video (which he said was not working, another lie), it was not the "suspect" who had criminal charges pressed against him but the officer.

Unfortunately, the state prosecutor couldn't get a criminal conviction. Nevertheless, the MVR was as objective as you can get. And it spared someone from going to jail (though the person did have an illegal handgun, it was illegally obtained).

Was Illegal search and Seizure proven? If so did he/she face any consequences because of the illegal weapon?

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Per police guidelines he had full authority to shoot and kill because the suspect had illegal amounts of black on him.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

10 years ago, my younger, naive me would believe the cops version because cops don't lie. Now I would not be surprised, and actually expect, this cop to have lied about what happened. Hopefully the looting stops so the bigger message of the protest does not go to waste.

I learned in my teen's that cops are slimiy scumbags. Mind you not all, but alot of them are. Once i was like 16 maybe, me and a friend were walking home it was probably 1-2am and a cop came charging from some bushes and tackled my friend in the middle of the street lol the whole side of my friend was all scrapped up from the street. It was nasty. Trying to catch us with drugs or something. While, he didnt get shot and killed, there was still no reason for it, we wouldnt have ran we didnt do anything wrong besides being out late and we only lived like 4 blocks away.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I googled, looking for an article where the police shot and killed a unarmed White youth. I didn't find any. Does anyone in the thread have any such article links?

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Ahem, gun casings were found 35 feet away from the squad car? I don't know what actually occured, but I can plainly see that the officers version Did NOT happen.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

So many similar cases.

It pisses me off that the police do not seem to serve anyone.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I googled, looking for an article where the police shot and killed a unarmed White youth. I didn't find any. Does anyone in the thread have any such article links?

Salt Lake City Cop Kills 15 Year-Old Teen
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:

I actually have no trouble believing that a kid headed to college could be hot headed enough to do something crazy like that. It's not unreasonable to imagine.

As to the 35 feet, unless the officer felt he had a gun then that's way outside the limit. Officers are granted 20 feet when they feel their lives are in danger because a person can close the gap of 20 feet before an officer can pull and train his/her gun on them for a good shot.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Per police guidelines he had full authority to shoot and kill because the suspect had illegal amounts of black on him.

BWB

Breathing while black.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It happens. Obviously not with anything near the frequency, but it happens.

There was a 16 year old kid from the SFV (I think) who was shot by under cover police who mistook him for a drug dealer. He was sitting in his car in a parking lot and they charged his car with guns drawn and without identifying themselves. He, for obvious reasons, got scared to death and tried to drive away. They shot him to death

There was a white guy shot in Long Beach not all that long ago. All he was doing was sitting drunk on a porch with a hose nozzle in his hand. The cops said he was pointing it like it was a weapon. They shot him to death.

It happens. And regardless of how often and to which race, it happens way too often. Perhaps it'd be better to focus on the fact that unarmed people are dying at the hands of police forces that are becoming more and more militarized.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

I actually have no trouble believing that a kid headed to college could be hot headed enough to do something crazy like that. It's not unreasonable to imagine.

As to the 35 feet, unless the officer felt he had a gun then that's way outside the limit. Officers are granted 20 feet when they feel their lives are in danger because a person can close the gap of 20 feet before an officer can pull and train his/her gun on them for a good shot.

I agree completely with the bolded. It's not unimaginable at all. My problem is seeing why the kid would angry enough to put himself in harm's way like that. Something is not adding up. And it's not just the 35 feet.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject:

It sounds to me like the teens probably disobeyed the cops orders to get out of the street or something and the cop stupidly overreacted and went nuts.

These guys feel a bit too free to shoot at unarmed people and do high speed traffic chases for stolen vehicles thru neighborhoods and such.

This one looks very bad, Nancy Grace is all pissed off.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

Mark O'Mara said forensics will show who was telling the truth.

Lets hope, or were you taking the opportunity to be sarcastic?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It happens. Obviously not with anything near the frequency, but it happens.

There was a 16 year old kid from the SFV (I think) who was shot by under cover police who mistook him for a drug dealer. He was sitting in his car in a parking lot and they charged his car with guns drawn and without identifying themselves. He, for obvious reasons, got scared to death and tried to drive away. They shot him to death

There was a white guy shot in Long Beach not all that long ago. All he was doing was sitting drunk on a porch with a hose nozzle in his hand. The cops said he was pointing it like it was a weapon. They shot him to death.

It happens. And regardless of how often and to which race, it happens way too often. Perhaps it'd be better to focus on the fact that unarmed people are dying at the hands of police forces that are becoming more and more militarized.

This is the problem right here.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I don't remember any youth cases recently. Unarmed white guys aren't totally immune to Johnny Law's wrath.

There was the drunken white guy in Long Beach pointing his metal water hose nozzle at the police and they didn't hesitate to airhole him. His fault.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/04/local/la-me-long-beach-shooting-20111104

There was the gringo who took the LAPD on a cannonball run in DTLA in his Corvette. When he jumped out, they gave him a 21 gun salute right in his back for no good reason whatsoever.

There was the surfer in Redondo Beach. The police mistook him for 300lb black guy.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/general-news/20140724/torrance-to-pay-18-million-to-settle-surfer-david-perdues-lawsuit-in-mistaken-christopher-dorner-shooting

There was another white guy in Long Beach who police shot in the back for ???????

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Family-Man-Shot-Police-Files-10M-Excessive-Force-Claim-258574021.html

All in all, the police do this to everyone but young black guys exhibit much, much stronger bullet magnetism when it comes to cops, and in general as well, but that's a whole different problem.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:

There is cell phone video, the police have confiscated it from a girl who was at the scene.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 1 of 57
Jump to: