Ohio Cop Pulls Over Black Man Who 'Made Direct Eye Contact' With Him
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Ohio Cop Pulls Over Black Man Who 'Made Direct Eye Contact' With Him

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cop-pulls-over-black-man-making-eye-contact_55e0ad60e4b0b7a96338e614

"It’s just awareness that this stuff still happens in 2015."

This is the kind of abuse of authority that has precipitated the widespread distrust felt by many in the civilian community.

How are citizens to have any respect and faith in lthe when this type of behavior is routinely exhibited and accepted by the law enforcement community?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject:

When I was young I didn't make direct eye contact with police in a cruiser. In LA they're trained to read the eyes for a signs of some sort of guilt. It's amazing how guilt can be read in the eyes.

As I grew older I learned when I made eye contact to give the one bob nod of hello, how are you?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject:

Geese. I wish we'd change to just one policing academy that all prospective officers attended. Call it Police U and give em a football team. We need uniform standards, so there's less chance of running afoul of law enforcement due to all these varied approaches to policing. It's silly to expect the public to have to try to figure out what's acceptable behaviour as he travels through each individual locale. Eliminate all these chicken crap contacts.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Someone like that should not be a police officer. Even if it wasn't a racial issue, police need to spend their time more efficiently than on these kind of garbage stops.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Classic DWB. Glad he was stopped.

Driving While Black offenses have been on the rise.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

everyone knows you don't make eye contact with the police!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
When I was young I didn't make direct eye contact with police in a cruiser. In LA they're trained to read the eyes for a signs of some sort of guilt. It's amazing how guilt can be read in the eyes.

You know that's BS right?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

If only he hadn't made eye contact, none of this would have ever happened. #PersonalResponsibility

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I made "eye contact" with a cop and got arrested.

Note to self: Don't use the tip of your finger to make contact with a police officer's eye.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Not according to friends I knew on the force in the 60's unless you're talking about the eyes not showing guilt.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Not according to friends I knew on the force in the 60's unless you're talking about the eyes not showing guilt.

I think what he's saying is the eyes show a lot of things that vary by person and context. Anyone saying you can determine guilt by meeting eyes with a stranger (and BTW, wouldn't failure to make eye contact be considered more a sign of guilt, if you're going with snap generalizations?) is basically just being arrogant about reading people, justifying making snap judgements on no evidence, or both.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Come on guys...Let's not make a spectacle of this.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Come on guys...Let's not make a spectacle of this.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I think what he's saying is the eyes show a lot of things that vary by person and context. Anyone saying you can determine guilt by meeting eyes with a stranger (and BTW, wouldn't failure to make eye contact be considered more a sign of guilt, if you're going with snap generalizations?) is basically just being arrogant about reading people, justifying making snap judgements on no evidence, or both.

OK. (JMK)

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yep. The idea that you can train someone to detect guilt simply by looking at another person's eyes is laughable.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Avoid eye contact, you're hiding something.

Make eye contact, you're hiding something.

I should just poke my eyes out.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yep. The idea that you can train someone to detect guilt simply by looking at another person's eyes is laughable.

Thats how I get out of jury duty.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject:

When I was a kid I was told not to wave at a police officer, and I'm white. Its like poking the bear, many people think that police can't use reasonable judgment.

I don't get why this cop had his ego hurt so much that he had to pull someone over for looking at him. Seems very childish
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject:

It was 11 pm from moving vehicles I doubt anyone was able to put direct eye contact on anyone under those conditions. Government agents lie. What's new?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject:

No, he got arrested because he lost the staring contest. He blinked first. That's how I beat a ticket.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB

Last edited by rwongega on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I wish someone would have told my mother that
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

OK. (JMK)

I have never been so proud. Thank you.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

LINK

Didn't say it worked, said they were trained.
Quote:
Most people think liars give themselves away by averting their eyes or making nervous gestures, and many law-enforcement officers have been trained to look for specific tics, like gazing upward in a certain manner. But in scientific experiments, people do a lousy job of spotting liars. Law-enforcement officers and other presumed experts are not consistently better at it than ordinary people even though they’re more confident in their abilities.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
When I was a kid I was told not to wave at a police officer, and I'm white. Its like poking the bear, many people think that police can't use reasonable judgment.

I don't get why this cop had his ego hurt so much that he had to pull someone over for looking at him. Seems very childish

Slaves were forced to not look their masters in the eye. It would be seen as sign of disrespect, that the slave possessed the notion that he was on equal footing as his master.

"You Given Me the Eye Boy?"
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Didn't say it worked, said they were trained.

Oh really?

jodeke wrote:
It's amazing how guilt can be read in the eyes.

Oops.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: