Greatest clutch trio of all time: Kobe/Fisher/Horry.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Greatest clutch trio of all time: Kobe/Fisher/Horry.

Can any trio that actually played together compare with this? I don't think so. You have Kobe, who is like an MJ, already the greatest ever. Then add to that Fisher and Horry who have some clutch moments that can stand with the greatest in history. That's just crazy. And not just one, all 3 of them have multiple amazing ones. Not just amazing either, like, legendary almost.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Magic, Kareem, and Worthy were before my time, but they have to be up there as far as all time clutch trios go from all the highlights I've seen and the championship wins, Worthy's Finals MVP.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject:

Yes.

That was the most clutch trio of all-time.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject:

The Silhouette wrote:
Magic, Kareem, and Worthy were before my time, but they have to be up there as far as all time clutch trios go from all the highlights I've seen and the championship wins, Worthy's Finals MVP.

They're surely the only trio where all of them have won a finals MVP award. Quite remarkable when you think about it like that.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
The Silhouette wrote:

They're surely the only trio where all of them have won a finals MVP award. Quite remarkable when you think about it like that.

Kawhi Leonard, Tony Parker and Tim Duncan says hi.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
Moses wrote:
The Silhouette wrote:

Are we really putting Kawhi in the same category as Worthy now?

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Legacy wrote:
Moses wrote:
The Silhouette wrote:

He's just pointing out that your claim was incorrect.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject:

Garnett, Pierce and Allen are probably up there, although, they didn't complete most of their clutch plays together.

I'd probably have to add Duncan/Parker/Manu to that list, surely they are right up there with all of the rings they've won together.
24LaterMurus
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject:

Ginobili/Duncan/Horry

That trio was all kinds of Clutch in 05 especially.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Garnett, Pierce and Allen are probably up there, although, they didn't complete most of their clutch plays together.

I'd probably have to add Duncan/Parker/Manu to that list, surely they are right up there with all of the rings they've won together.

Garnett was clutch?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject:

In the context of three players who won Finals MVPs, who were clutch performers together, and who played together for several years on championship caliber teams, better add:

Dennis Johnson
Ced Maxwell
Larry Bird
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Garnett was clutch?

Absolutely.

To be fair, in recent years, we've had some very dramatic clutch shots that tend to stick in people's mind more than your standard fare made shot under pressure.

He had some clutch shots in his runs with the Celtics, and in his prime, with the TWolves, he was their go to guy down the stretch. Just Youtube it, lots on there, just not as dramatic as 0.4, Horry, etc.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

Michael Jordan, and Michael Jordan, and and Michael Jordan

That's one trio to consider.

You know, during the Bulls' years, if they needed a clutch shot, they'd go with Michael Jordan, and if not him, then they'd draw up a play for Michael Jordan, and if even those two failed, they could still get it to Michael Jordan.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

You know, during the Bulls' years, if they needed a clutch shot, they'd go with Michael Jordan, and if not him, then they'd draw up a play for Michael Jordan, and if even those two failed, they could still get it to Michael Jordan.

I'll take your MJx3 and raise you a Kobex3.
kobedagoat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

You mean Michael Jordan, Steve Kerr, and Michael Jordan?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

kobedagoat wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

You mean Michael Jordan, Steve Kerr, and Michael Jordan?

Actually, I might amend that to Michael Jordan, short Caucasian open shot hitter, Phil Jackson.

Phil should be credited for the plays to get an open Jordan the ball about 3/4ths of the time. I don't know what changed when he got to LA because Kobe was always guarded tooth and nail even before he got the ball most of the time. It was a success merely if he got 1:1 coverage while the clock ticked down as in his GW at Memphis in 2003. I was watching on NBAtv the end of 93 Gm4 Bulls at Cavs with CHI up 3-0. The game was tied at 101 with 18 secs left, an eternity of time to milk the clock before Jordan put up the final shot. They had Scott Pippen bring it up and he passed to another guard as a decoy and Mike shoved his way into the clear with Gerald Wilkins (NOT! a Jordan Stopper) on him 1:1. He hit a shot from damn near the same spot as in 1989 to put them down. Amazing. Man, we really have no idea how miserable it must've been as a late 80s/90s Cavs fan. The fans there pretty much stood still when the shot went in, they knew what was coming the whole time. Poor Ehlo was standing under the basket and when it went in, he went, "Daamm!..." (as if to say, "thaaat bleeper bleeper!"). He had enough bad memories of the shot in 89.

At any rate, our ability to get Kobe clean looks just wasn't as good as it was in Chicago for whatever reason. If Fisher got it, it was probably a broken play and it just happened to go to him. Horry was used as the decoy or shot taker a few times and that always worked well. Of course, his most famous shot was tapped rite to him, but that was an outlier. As far as my man Derek Fisher goes, I don't think there's anyone who did NOT have the "superstar" label who hit as many clutch shots as that guy. He was unreal. I think that goes to the obscene level of confidence he had in himself, which contrarily drove a lot of fans crazy because it lead him to do a lot of other sh that he wasn't as good at. Other than that, I think Fish might be the very least credited clutch shooter there is. It's because of the obvious -- it's odd for a guy like that to be clutch.

Paxson and Kerr were top notch shooters. Go figure why we didn't go full bore to get Steve Kerr. We had to mess around with guys like Penberthy.

Another moment that amuses both me and my good friend Mike is the Pax shot at PHX in 93. They brought it up court and both Scott and Horace passed that ball like it was on fire. They wanted NO part of that scene. Pax manned up and hit the shot. Mike said in an interview a year or so later that Scottie and Ho finally got their chance to take a big shot and they whimped out. Mike knew it. In 94, there was a taped interview where he said quote that he "got tired of carrying Scottie and Horace when their asses got tight late in games". BSPN played that recording for Scottie during a Sunday SportsCenter interview, haha. They divebombed him. He looked perturbed at the recording and he played it off like he didn't know what Mike was talking about.

By the way, Mike did push off Bryon/Byron Russell, but the refs don't call that stuff. That's life in the NBA. What the peeps who always complain about that fail to mention is that Reggie did the same thing to Mike to get open for his game winner vs CHI in 98. Further, for Stockton's GW to eliminate HOU in 97, Malone just railroaded Drexler out of the picture, like Karl was one of the tractors he drove. For all intents, that sh is legal AND advised. It was advised for Kobe to do it too. Afaic, that's a smart/gritty play. You do what it takes to win and let the opponent cry about it afterwards. He kinda got away with a pre-inbound clearance shove vs SAC on 1/1/10 (the day which I played C M B in hoops).

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Moses wrote:
Legacy wrote:
Moses wrote:
The Silhouette wrote:

He's just pointing out that your claim was incorrect.

What he said is only wrong in the most technical sense, CC. I understand why you posted that because from some of your posts, you seem to be a technical, by-the-book, upright young lad. However, he said "all time clutch trios". Kawhi Leonard is not that yet. Maybe in the future, not yet. Since the Spurs became US from the late 90s (meaning the high class FO of the league who can land big names based on their success, which used to be our game), they got LMA. We'll see what LaMarcus is made of, but if he turns out to be a big game player, then Kawhi's legend will surely grow because they'll keep winnin.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Greatest clutch trio of all time: Kobe/Fisher/Horry.

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Can any trio that actually played together compare with this? I don't think so. You have Kobe, who is like an MJ, already the greatest ever. Then add to that Fisher and Horry who have some clutch moments that can stand with the greatest in history. That's just crazy. And not just one, all 3 of them have multiple amazing ones. Not just amazing either, like, legendary almost.

Fisher and Horry probably out rank Kobe, most would not immediately come up with this threesome but they were clutch for sure and deserve consideration.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
In the context of three players who won Finals MVPs, who were clutch performers together, and who played together for several years on championship caliber teams, better add:

Dennis Johnson
Ced Maxwell
Larry Bird

Good call, Mr. 70s. DJ did win the FMVP in 79 with Seattle. Ced was one of the worst Celtic s-talkers of all time, but he got it in 81. It looked like a relatively muted series for Bird.

DJ hit a few game winners for them. I've seen a couple of them on NBAtv and filed them away in my mental volt. There was an old "NBA Is FAN-tastic!"' commercial I saw the other day where he iso'd for a good 5 seconds against Golden State at the Gahden and hit a 15 footer at the buzzer. Bird either completely cleared out or it might've been the 89 season where he was out with the bone spurs in his Achilles. That's not to mention the one DJ hit against US at the Forum in Gm 4 of the 85 Finals. I'm sure that YOU, as our resident 70s Dood remember DJ for that one in particular. To this day, 29 yrs on, I think the Sampson game winner in 1986 was our last triple zero (3 zeroes; 0:00) loss in the Playoffs. I think that's actually true. We've had about 5-6 losses almost at 0:00, where LA lost, but we still had the final shot and missed. Thankfully, it was our Lakers who did that triple zero stuff to opponents. We have maybe 6+ examples of that in 30 yrs and a lot of other near 0:00 wins, for instance, Pau's tip-in at OKC with about 0.9 left.

I have a list of all our 0:00 wins and losses since about 85. Over a span that long, for a good team, you'd expect those lists to be about even, but we got at least 5+ more examples due to having superstars, frankly. A lot by Kobe, a few by Earvin, assorted guys like Horry/Fish, Shaq even had a couple. I got a few of them on disc too. Doc Rivers got us at the Forum in 89. Disgusting. The Hawks did that championship celebration at midcourt.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject:

The Silhouette wrote:

That would be mine, but I can't really argue with the OP. Magic's the second greatest closer I've ever seen after MJ, and, my god, Big Game...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Garnett was clutch?

Absolutely.

To be fair, in recent years, we've had some very dramatic clutch shots that tend to stick in people's mind more than your standard fare made shot under pressure.

He had some clutch shots in his runs with the Celtics, and in his prime, with the TWolves, he was their go to guy down the stretch. Just Youtube it, lots on there, just not as dramatic as 0.4, Horry, etc.

That's weird. I feel like he's always been labeled as a choker here.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Garnett was clutch?

Absolutely.

Well, ya gotta check it out for for yourself. It's hard to get an accurate gauge around here on things like that.

Here, generally speaking, Laker players are infallible and non-Laker players are garbage and choke artists.

Garnett, in his prime, was an unstoppable beast.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Garnett was clutch?

Absolutely.

Well, ya gotta check it out for for yourself. It's hard to get an accurate gauge around here on things like that.

Here, generally speaking, Laker players are infallible and non-Laker players are garbage and choke artists.

Garnett, in his prime, was an unstoppable beast.

Yea.
Garnett doesn't have the dramatic moments (probably because he wasn't usually on deep playoff teams), but he seems to deliver consistently in the clutch. Just in the lakers-celtics series, it seemed like garnett sometimes wouldn't miss anything, long jumpers whatever. dude is good.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Dennis Johnson
Ced Maxwell
Larry Bird

Good call, Mr. 70s. DJ did win the FMVP in 79 with Seattle. Ced was one of the worst Celtic s-talkers of all time, but he got it in 81. It looked like a relatively muted series for Bird.

DJ hit a few game winners for them. I've seen a couple of them on NBAtv and filed them away in my mental volt. There was an old "NBA Is FAN-tastic!"' commercial I saw the other day where he iso'd for a good 5 seconds against Golden State at the Gahden and hit a 15 footer at the buzzer. Bird either completely cleared out or it might've been the 89 season where he was out with the bone spurs in his Achilles. That's not to mention the one DJ hit against US at the Forum in Gm 4 of the 85 Finals. I'm sure that YOU, as our resident 70s Dood remember DJ for that one in particular. To this day, 29 yrs on, I think the Sampson game winner in 1986 was our last triple zero (3 zeroes; 0:00) loss in the Playoffs. I think that's actually true. We've had about 5-6 losses almost at 0:00, where LA lost, but we still had the final shot and missed. Thankfully, it was our Lakers who did that triple zero stuff to opponents. We have maybe 6+ examples of that in 30 yrs and a lot of other near 0:00 wins, for instance, Pau's tip-in at OKC with about 0.9 left.

I have a list of all our 0:00 wins and losses since about 85. Over a span that long, for a good team, you'd expect those lists to be about even, but we got at least 5+ more examples due to having superstars, frankly. A lot by Kobe, a few by Earvin, assorted guys like Horry/Fish, Shaq even had a couple. I got a few of them on disc too. Doc Rivers got us at the Forum in 89. Disgusting. The Hawks did that championship celebration at midcourt.

That painful Laker series loss to the (Olajuwon/Sampson) Houston team of 1986 cut me as deep as any Finals loss ever, which is saying something considering the hurt suffered in the worst Finals defeats in 66, 69 (*), 70, 73, 84 and 89. I could usually deal with the blowout losses easier than the ones that were inches from wins, but the Lakers played so poorly in the Houston series - no excuses for such a shoddy effort. We needed help better up front than Rambis and Luke.

* The most horrible Laker playoff loss ever.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Greatest clutch trio of all time: Kobe/Fisher/Horry.

SuperboyReformed wrote:

They are on the short list. I'd also put:

Kareem/Magic/Worthy

Duncan/Parker/Manu

Pierce/Garnett/Allen

Bird/McHale/Clutch

Russell/Cousy/Jones

Duncan/Parker/Horry

Russell/Havlicek/Jones

Bird/Johnson/Maxwell

Isiah/Dumar/Lambeer

Olajuwon/Horry/Cassell

What makes Kobe/Horry/Fisher so unusual is only one of them was a star.

Last edited by activeverb on Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: