Kobe falls to No. 54 in SI’s Top 100 NBA Player rankings
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you agree with SI ranking Kobe #54?
Sounds about right.
29%
 29%  [ 25 ]
Should be lower: Somewhere between 1-53.
39%
 39%  [ 34 ]
Should be higher: Somewhere between 55-100.
10%
 10%  [ 9 ]
I would not rank him in the top 100.
20%
 20%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 86

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Kobe falls to No. 54 in SI’s Top 100 NBA Player rankings

Kobe Bryant falls to No. 54 in SI’s Top 100 NBA Player rankings

Quote:
Here is Golliver on the decision to rank Kobe Bryant at No. 54:

Indeed, there is a pretty good case to be made that Bryant shouldn’t be on this list at all. Bryant had the worst effective field goal percentage (.411) of any NBA player to take at least 700 shots. Nevertheless, Bryant’s usage rate (34.9%) was second-highest in the league, trailing only Russell Westbrook. Simultaneously, Bryant had the worst defensive rating (112.6) of any player that logged at least 1,000 minutes, and he ranked 81st out of 91 shooting guards in Defensive Real Plus-Minus. That’s what happens when you gamble off the ball with Donald Trump-like discretion and play transition defense like a flabbergasted tourist whose money belt has just been ripped off his waist in broad daylight.

SI
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

This belongs in the D'Angelo Russell thread...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject:

I can't really argue w/that. It is what it is.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

How many 37 year old players who played as many important games/minutes, suffered the same amount of injuries as Kobe can even be ranked that high?

Still a testament to Kobe's determination and focus. I think he will play very well this year.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

I think that ranking him at around #60 is about right, perhaps erring on the generous side which I feel is perhaps is due any very aged superstar.

The past two seasons give me adequate cause to sense an enormous amount of uncertainty about his comparative value in the upcoming season. That's what these rankings are about (or perhaps "clicks" are what they're about.)

Kobe's reliability, durability, fitness, comparative effectiveness and remaining speed and quickness are all at the issue's heart. Frankly, I'd probably rather that the Lakers had quite a few of the other players ranked #60 - #100 (Wiggins !), but we don't have that option.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject:

That's a pretty generous ranking. But I picked "sounds about right" because it feels wrong to rank him much worse than that.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

They remarkably had him ranked 24th last season so it's a pretty big dropoff. Is this ranking only done by two guys?
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
I can't really argue w/that. It is what it is.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

I think SI's ranking is being generous. I bet ESPN is going to rank him higher than 54th.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I think SI's ranking is being generous. I bet ESPN is going to rank him higher than 54th.

Wouldn't they be right in doing so?
singlecamVTEC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject:

Sounds about right.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
32 wrote:

Based on their ranking last season, if he cracks the top 100 in that list it will be a surprise.

Last edited by greenfrog on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
tolivendiewithLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject:

Ranking Kobe somewhere to drive discussion is the only way ESPN or SI or whoever gets people to look at talk about their rankings. Literally it'll barely be a blip on the radar when Kobe retires. They'd have to rank Bron outside the top 3, and honestly that wouldn't even do it because Bron's popularity is media generated, most people wouldn't care if LeBron was placed higher.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:

I'll be curious about where Lebron will rank after he turns 37, if he's still in the league.
tolivendiewithLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

Ranking LeBron higher won't generate the same amount of intrigue. They use the Lakers fanbase just like they use Kobe's name for years for hits.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Ranking LeBron higher won't generate the same amount of intrigue. They use the Lakers fanbase just like they use Kobe's name for years for hits.

Even at the twilight of his career, he generates hits. I'm just amazed that a 37 y.o. Kobe is still near a top 50 player given his mileage and injuries. I hope people don't lose sight of that positive side of it. For crying out loud, he's ranked in the same neighborhood as an in-his-prime Batum at age 37.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
32 wrote:

Based on their ranking last season, if he cracks the top 100 in that list it will be a surprise.

Yeah. Defensively, I don't even know that he was in top 54 shooting guards even.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject:

Ok fine...if you factor all the age issues, and value, and longevity, ok you can put 53 people in front. But how many of those 53 can beat a 37 year old kobe (healthy) 1on1? If they can't, are they really better? Or are they just younger or something?

For example, I've seen people describe it like this...if they aren't sure if Kobe can stay healthy over the course of the season, they rank him lower. But I never think like that...i just think about one game. If he's healthy over the course of the one game, but still old, I still feel he's better than most of those guys. You give old man Kobe the Warriors screening, and he'll still drop 40 on you.

Also, when MJ was getting up there in the late 90s, nobody ever questioned his status as #1. Why is it so different for Kobe? They were calling him old starting around 2007-8? The whole thing feels a little capricious to me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Ok fine...if you factor all the age issues, and value, and longevity, ok you can put 53 people in front. But how many of those 53 can beat a 37 year old kobe (healthy) 1on1? If they can't, are they really better? Or are they just younger or something?

For example, I've seen people describe it like this...if they aren't sure if Kobe can stay healthy over the course of the season, they rank him lower. But I never think like that...i just think about one game. If he's healthy over the course of the one game, but still old, I still feel he's better than most of those guys. You give old man Kobe the Warriors screening, and he'll still drop 40 on you.

Also, when MJ was getting up there in the late 90s, nobody ever questioned his status as #1. Why is it so different for Kobe? They were calling him old starting around 2007-8? The whole thing feels a little capricious to me.

The rankings aren't based on a game of 1 on 1.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject:

I don't think much of these rankings anymore. I just want Kobe to play his last season(s) fully healthy. I don't want an injury to cause his retirement.
BstMde83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

There are not 50 players better than Bryant even at 37 years old, FOH...Lebron could be paralyzed and ESPN would still have him in their top 5. The agenda is clear..
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

I thought the ranking was based solely on who would win a game of H.O.R.S.E? Where's all this 1:1 coming from?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject:

BstMde83 wrote:
There are not 50 players better than Bryant even at 37 years old, FOH...Lebron could be paralyzed and ESPN would still have him in their top 5. The agenda is clear..

He's 37 coming off 3 season ending injuries. It's ok. We are all hoping he has a great year.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:

BstMde83 wrote:

Yes, there's a clear agenda I'm seeing...
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject:

I HAVE NO IDEA.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: