North Dakota 1st State to Authorise Armed Police Drones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: North Dakota 1st State to Authorise Armed Police Drones

Quote:
It is now legal for law enforcement in North Dakota to fly drones armed with everything from Tasers to tear gas thanks to a last-minute push by a pro-police lobbyist.

With all the concern over the militarization of police in the past year, no one noticed that the state became the first in the union to allow police to equip drones with “less than lethal” weapons. House Bill 1328 wasn’t drafted that way, but then a lobbyist representing law enforcement—tight with a booming drone industry—got his hands on it.

The bill’s stated intent was to require police to obtain a search warrant from a judge in order to use a drone to search for criminal evidence. In fact, the original draft of Representative Rick Becker’s bill would have banned all weapons on police drones.

Then Bruce Burkett of the North Dakota Peace Officer’s Association was allowed by the state house committee to amend HB 1328 and limit the prohibition only to lethal weapons. “Less than lethal” weapons like rubber bullets, pepper spray, tear gas, sound cannons, and Tasers are therefore permitted on police drones.

Even “less than lethal” weapons can kill though. At least 39 people have been killed by police Tasers in 2015 so far.

Grand Forks County Sheriff Bob Rost said his department’s drones are only equipped with cameras and he doesn’t think he should need a warrant to go snooping.

Rost said he needs to use drones for surveillance in order to obtain a warrant in the first place.

“If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear,” Becker remembered opponents like Rost saying.

Yet the sheriff’s department is hiding a full accounting of how many drone missions they’ve flown since 2012. Records requests by The Daily Beast were initially denied by the sheriff because they would “cost a fortune,” and were only handed over after an appeal to the state’s attorney general’s office.

So Much for the concept of "If You Have Nothing to Hide?

North Dakota Police Drones
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject:

So if someone catches a police drone hovering over their backyard without a warrant, can they shoot it down?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
So if someone catches a police drone hovering over their backyard without a warrant, can they shoot it down?

Why waste a bullet? Just hack it and sell the parts for scrap.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

Well most jusrisdictions have ordinances which make it an offense to shoot into the air. I've got a couple of spare Rule Bilge pumps sitting on the boat, and my RC helicopter is capable of carrying a 30lb payload. I'm thinking a nice winter project would be to attach that 1000gph pump to the top of a 3 gallon can of water and see how she flies? In the off chance my big bird ever came across a drone, well I think the water wars would be interesting. But to make such a system truly effective, it would have to be fairly autonomous since while my bird has a radio range of about 2 miles, I lose live video at about 1000 feet. Perhaps a cheap proximity sensor made for robotics, along with a cheap robotics laser finder could be commanded to operate the servo lever and activate the pump. Spray pattern and power can be easily adjusted with a nozzle. About 1/4 gallon would be sufficiently to bring down even the most robust small drones. All in theory of course.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Couldn't you just lure the drone closer and take it out with a garden hose? That seems a bit much to take down a drone Aussie.

My take is, get a 14yr old to sunbathe in my backyard, hide behind a bush then let loose when it comes in for a closer look (yes I'm talking about a police drone because let's not kid ourselves, that's what they will use it for).
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Couldn't you just lure the drone closer and take it out with a garden hose? That seems a bit much to take down a drone Aussie.

My take is, get a 14yr old to sunbathe in my backyard, hide behind a bush then let loose when it comes in for a closer look (yes I'm talking about a police drone because let's not kid ourselves, that's what they will use it for).

A garden hose is unlikely to be of any effect since basic low grade cameras are easily capable of creating quite useable surveillance footage from about 1/4 mile. So it would never get withing garden hose range. Heck, it's unlikely you'd even know you were being monitored, which is why they are so keen to use it. To have any chance at 'defense' you'd need a 'standoff' platform (ie, something capable of 'distracting' a drone from a place more than 1/4 mile from your location.)
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject:

All good, no brothers in North Dakota.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

Jared?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Geek Alert:

Sonar =$30

Distance Sensor = $13

Heat Sensor = $22

OnBoard GPS =$60

Spatial Awarness Module = $150

AutoPilot Telemetry System w/ Camera $300

The above attached to a basic PLC based OPii controller is all that's necessary for an early warning and target acquisition system.

That system, connected to a Vario Bell 430 could acquire, and track, an airborne object traveling under 80mph, and maintain tracking autonomously after acquisition. Within 2 miles, the platform is available for user commands. Beyond 2 miles would be subject to onboard preprograming. If within range of cell towers, commands could be given remotely at distances beyond 2 miles, but there would be no effective way to access onboard video monitors. (At least not whilst remaining FCC compliant)

This can be easily outfitted to an airborne platform for under $1000
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

This is how Skynet gets started.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject:

Didn't realize North Dakota was such a hotbed for criminal activity.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Didn't realize North Dakota was such a hotbed for criminal activity.

All those damn Canadians hopping the border and committing crimes.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Isn't the arming of drones counter to President Obama's demilitarization of police forces across the country?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Isn't the arming of drones counter to President Obama's demilitarization of police forces across the country?

The FOP has pretty much squashed Obama's attempt at demilitarization.

FOP Fights Demilitarization
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: