WOJ: FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas has agreed to a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
PG: D'Angelo Russell, Marcelo Huertas
SG: Jordan Clarkson, Lou Williams, Michael Frazier
SF: Kobe Bryant, Nick Young, Anthony Brown
PF: Julius Randle, Brandon Bass, Ryan Kelly, Larry Nance, Jonathan Holmes
C: Roy Hibbert, Tarik Black, Robert Sacre, Robert Upshaw

Am I forgetting anyone?

Technically, shouldn't include Upshaw yet.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Jabari Brown.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Not a bad signing. Steady vet distributor on a team full of chuckers, who won't complain and isn't a threat to Russell or Clarkson's development.
Genaro
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm a Brazilian so I can say a few things about him. He can definitely pass very well and run the PNR and a good floor general, his defense is in the Nash level and he's an average shooter. He can be too unselfish sometimes, I can see teams daring him to shoot.
What makes me fear the most about this signing is that his best days are behind him. He was great for Brazil for many years (some of you may have seen him playing against USA) but recently his game took a hit. 4 years ago I would say it was a good gamble but nowadays I don't see it, but I might be wrong Dellavedova didn't look like he would contribute as well.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Genaro wrote:
I'm a Brazilian so I can say a few things about him. He can definitely pass very well and run the PNR and a good floor general, his defense is in the Nash level and he's an average shooter. He can be too unselfish sometimes, I can see teams daring him to shoot.
What makes me fear the most about this signing is that his best days are behind him. He was great for Brazil for many years (some of you may have seen him playing against USA) but recently his game took a hit. 4 years ago I would say it was a good gamble but nowadays I don't see it, but I might be wrong Dellavedova didn't look like he would contribute as well.

Thanks for your insight. I know very little about his game aside from him being a very good passer.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

If he makes the team instead of Kelly then I consider it a great signing.
Agent P
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Nice pickup. We needed a solid vet.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I just realized that we have 6 or 7 guys in the backcourt and not one of them are likely to be plus defenders.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Well Hibbert better be ready to make up for those minuses. If he doesn't I foresee him taking a lot of blame.

"I ain't gonna be your whoopin' boy!"
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Man upshaw must of done some really bad ish to not get signed already.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Well, I'm Brazilian and I know him a little better. He's a very energetic player, a regular starter in Brazilian team for the past 10 years, forming the backcourt with Leandro Barbosa.

He's a great team player, although not the most talented or athletic player around. Decent shooter (though he doesn't take many shots), certainly a clutch guy, good pass, excellent P&R, but not a good defender. Don't expect him to fill the stat sheets. His last season wasn't great, but the previous one was fantastic. I wouldn't be worried for the fact he's 32.

There's always a lot of uncertainty about how players adapt in NBA after many years in European basketball, but I believe he's a bet worth taking. I hope he can be a decent backup PG.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
Kobe and him can talk to each other in italian, I'd watch

That was the first thing I thought as well.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Genaro wrote:

A fellow Brazilian here... his best days are gone, but I believe as a backup, playing 15-20 MPG he can be useful and give more attacking options. My major concern is his defense, as he lacks lateral speed.

His last season wasn't the best and he lost minutes to a Czech guy I don't remember the name. But, one year ago, he was the man in Barcelona's title, especially in the playoffs.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
From back in April:

Quote:
After years of playing significant roles in the Euroleague and on the Brazilian national team, point guard Marcelo Huertas is planning a move to the NBA next season, Yahoo Sports has learned.

Huertas, 31, a savvy, athletic 6-foot-3 playmaker and a deft shooter, is expected to be aggressively pursued as a backup guard in July free agency.

Huertas has been anchored to the Spanish ACB League the past six years with long-term deals that contained significant NBA buyouts, but finally is free of those hurdles. He hasn’t ruled out returning to FC Barcelona next year if the right NBA offer doesn’t emerge, but Huertas is determined to take a serious look at joining the NBA.
“This is the right time,” Huertas told Yahoo Sports.

Huertas has played six seasons for FC Barcelona of the Spanish ACB, leading Barca to three consecutive Euroleague Final Four appearances. He’s averaging 7.4 points and 4.9 assists for Barcelona this season. Huertas is a career 87 percent free-throw shooter.

Huertas has been Brazil’s point guard in numerous Olympic Games, World Championships and FIBA America tournaments. He averaged 11 points and five assists for Brazil in the 2012 London Olympic Games.

The natural comparison to Huertas will be Houston’s Pablo Prigioni, an Argentinian point guard who came to the NBA later in his European career at the age of 35.

“Prigoni is the guy most likely to get compared to me, because our career trajectory had been similar in Europe,” Huertas said. “And like him, I can run a team without worrying about scoring.”

Nevertheless, Huertas is a more dynamic playmaker than Prigioni and far closer to his prime at 31.

“There’s so much more space in the NBA,” Huertas told Yahoo Sports. “It’s not like Europe now, where you have one guy full-time in the paint. Space is harder to come by. One of my strengths is playing in the pick-and-roll, finding open guys and making shots in the mid-range game off the dribble.

“I think that part is harder to find now, because you mostly have guys who get all the way to the hole, or they’re three-point shooters. And if I’m open, and I can get my feet set, I’m going to make a lot of those kind of shots.”

Huertas thinks he can make a difference in the locker room, too, by mentoring young players and meshing with veterans chasing playoff runs. Barcelona’s season could run into late June, especially given its standing as one of the Euroleague’s top teams.

“If you look at NBA rosters, there are unbelievable starting point guards, but maybe not as many guys who can come off the bench able to run the team, score the ball – as well as being able to be a leader for young players,” Huertas told Yahoo. “Those are things I know I’ll be able to bring with me.”

Dynamic yes; energetic is the best definition. But not athletic, as he lacks lateral speed and physical strength.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5JwQ2GXzLY

2k12 Soundtrack - Ahhh the memories.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject:

From what little I have seen in this thread. I like the signing.

His greatest value may be mentoring Russell. Similar floor awareness/passing abilities from what I saw in the clips. A nice solid vet to distribute the ball.

Anyone seen the numbers yet? It will be interesting to see what the Lakers gave him.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
ocho wrote:
From back in April:

Quote:
After years of playing significant roles in the Euroleague and on the Brazilian national team, point guard Marcelo Huertas is planning a move to the NBA next season, Yahoo Sports has learned.

Huertas, 31, a savvy, athletic 6-foot-3 playmaker and a deft shooter, is expected to be aggressively pursued as a backup guard in July free agency.

Huertas has been anchored to the Spanish ACB League the past six years with long-term deals that contained significant NBA buyouts, but finally is free of those hurdles. He hasn’t ruled out returning to FC Barcelona next year if the right NBA offer doesn’t emerge, but Huertas is determined to take a serious look at joining the NBA.

Huertas has played six seasons for FC Barcelona of the Spanish ACB, leading Barca to three consecutive Euroleague Final Four appearances. He’s averaging 7.4 points and 4.9 assists for Barcelona this season. Huertas is a career 87 percent free-throw shooter.

Huertas has been Brazil’s point guard in numerous Olympic Games, World Championships and FIBA America tournaments. He averaged 11 points and five assists for Brazil in the 2012 London Olympic Games.

The natural comparison to Huertas will be Houston’s Pablo Prigioni, an Argentinian point guard who came to the NBA later in his European career at the age of 35.

“Prigoni is the guy most likely to get compared to me, because our career trajectory had been similar in Europe,” Huertas said. “And like him, I can run a team without worrying about scoring.”

Nevertheless, Huertas is a more dynamic playmaker than Prigioni and far closer to his prime at 31.

“There’s so much more space in the NBA,” Huertas told Yahoo Sports. “It’s not like Europe now, where you have one guy full-time in the paint. Space is harder to come by. One of my strengths is playing in the pick-and-roll, finding open guys and making shots in the mid-range game off the dribble.

“I think that part is harder to find now, because you mostly have guys who get all the way to the hole, or they’re three-point shooters. And if I’m open, and I can get my feet set, I’m going to make a lot of those kind of shots.”

Huertas thinks he can make a difference in the locker room, too, by mentoring young players and meshing with veterans chasing playoff runs. Barcelona’s season could run into late June, especially given its standing as one of the Euroleague’s top teams.

“If you look at NBA rosters, there are unbelievable starting point guards, but maybe not as many guys who can come off the bench able to run the team, score the ball – as well as being able to be a leader for young players,” Huertas told Yahoo. “Those are things I know I’ll be able to bring with me.”

Dynamic yes; energetic is the best definition. But not athletic, as he lacks lateral speed and physical strength.

Is he better than Ronnie Price?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: WOJ: FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas has agreed to a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Lakers

Jim99187 wrote:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3m3 minutes ago
FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas has agreed to a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Dang, I wanted him way back in what, 2001?!? 6'3" PG. Not outstandingly fast or quick, has a jumpshot and good ball-handling?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Low shot pocket. Anything behind just the 3pt. line looks like a heave shot. Really needs to square his feet and set up just to get the shot off.

B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I just realized that we have 6 or 7 guys in the backcourt and not one of them are likely to be plus defenders.

Aww, come on, man. Why you gotta bring up stuff like that.

It doesn't look very promising, does it??
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Am I forgetting anyone?

Jabari Brown
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Am I forgetting anyone?

Ron Ron
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
ocho wrote:
From back in April:

Quote:

Yes, but it doesn't mean anything...
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
ocho wrote:
From back in April:

Quote:

Yes, but it doesn't mean anything...

You're right. I was being facetious. I like the signing. His role is probably going to be limited, but we needed another PG. Good vet presence, will be playing mostly against the other teams 2nd unit, etc. Good gamble.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10
Jump to: