WOJ: FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas has agreed to a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject:

I think this could prove to be a shrewd move by the Lakers. They are obviously looking to invest heavily in Russell and Clarkson and it does appear they are leaning towards starting them right away.

The Lakers could have gone out and signed a veteran back-up NBA PG who could have let ego get in the way of Russell's development (in particular), but doing it this way, this hopefully shouldn't happen. Huertas should just be looking to test himself in the NBA and be happy to be there. He should also prove to be a good guiding influence and mentor for Russell. I think he will end up on the final roster. My first thought was Prigioni - who he has been compared with. Thing is he is younger than Prigioni and looks to possibly be a better passer/playmaker. He doesn't need to shoot too much, except to maybe work on his 3 pt shots.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Marcelinho is and awesome passer. It's going to be like having Magic Johnson being backed up by John Stockton with Russell and Marcelinho. Think about it, we will have an awesome passer in there 48 minutes per game! Imagine if we still had MDA as coach?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject:

One thing I really like about it is that it shows the front office is thinking out of the box a bit and being aggressive by looking at Europe and such... I felt that type of thinking was lacking in the past few years.

If the Lakers hit something on this guy, great. I like how he is a proven ballhandler and experienced player who isn't going to be overwhelmed against NBA competition.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Never seen this guy play but sounds like a older, slightly better shooting Ricky Rubio from what I've read of other posters here
resgraph27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:
Can he play or is he a camp body?

He's a Euro Steve Nash

My thoughts exactly. Minus the injuries.
resgraph27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Sort of reminds me of Kendall Marshall. The good thing is that he knows his role coming in is to run the team smoothly off the bench. The bad thing is that supposedly he has a problem with getting caught on screens and the team's defensive efficiency dropped off when he was on the floor.

Something interesting to me is that the Lakers have a good scout in Spain and have undoubtedly been watching Barcelona. But Hezonja didn't seem to have been on their radar at all. He seems like the kind of player that they would take a hard look at.

That "push" in his shot is ALL Kendall Marshall.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Marcelinho is and awesome passer. It's going to be like having Magic Johnson being backed up by John Stockton with Russell and Marcelinho. Think about it, we will have an awesome passer in there 48 minutes per game! Imagine if we still had MDA as coach?

That's a STRETCH ..... & just say no to MDA.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
Never seen this guy play but sounds like a older, slightly better shooting Ricky Rubio from what I've read of other posters here

Rubio is a better defender, Marcelinho has a better offensive game with a good floater like mini mamba, but he is a pass first guy. Good backup PG, great teammate must se his defense against NBA players. Nice to have a true center behind him.

Last edited by nash on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
scoobs wrote:

I am as hopeful as anybody but to think that Russell and Marcelinho are going to be like Magic and Stockton, two Hall of Famers, is definitely a STRETCH.

--Anonymous
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
PG: D'Angelo Russell, Marcelo Huertas
SG: Jordan Clarkson, Lou Williams, Michael Frazier
SF: Kobe Bryant, Nick Young, Anthony Brown
PF: Julius Randle, Brandon Bass, Ryan Kelly, Larry Nance, Jonathan Holmes
C: Roy Hibbert, Tarik Black, Robert Sacre, Robert Upshaw

Am I forgetting anyone?

1 or 2of the young bucks pop and we are in good for the future
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject:

wheres jabari brown? but more competition the better.. invite upshaw already
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject:

I like this pick up. We now have our PG rotation of Russell Clarkson and Huertas. Most likely Clarkson and DLO start so you can see how this can become interchangeable. Factor in Lou Wil, and there is your 1st and 2nd string backcourt
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject:

His game reminds me of Jason Williams, especially his passing ability.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:

at the bolded.
But you're right. MDA would be a MUCH better fit for our roster than Scott is.
Khacho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
scoobs wrote:

at the bolded.
But you're right. MDA would be a MUCH better fit for our roster than Scott is.

I know but Jason Kidd, Kyrie Irving, Chris Paul were all point guards who performed well under Byron. He has shown that he is able to adjust his offense in his previous coaching stints to the personnel and I think that's what we'll be seeing

He has a good track record with getting production from the PG position... I mean he had Clarkson playing well when he finally started him. I think we're better off with Byron instilling the Laker mentality into young guys then Mike D'antoni mumbling along... but that just me. I really couldn't take any more of D'antoni lol
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
pio2u wrote:
scoobs wrote:

I am as hopeful as anybody but to think that Russell and Marcelinho are going to be like Magic and Stockton, two Hall of Famers, is definitely a STRETCH.
Yeah, I'm well aware of that but I'm just saying in terms of there passing...maybe poor man's version of those two, mostly speaking in terms of how they pass the ball. It might not be that much of a STRETCH DOE!!!!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Am I forgetting anyone?

Jabari Brown has a non-guaranteed contract. I don't think Upshaw has a deal yet and it's not certain whether he will be invited to training camp.

So I think the 13 guys who are set with full guaranteed deals as of now are Hibbert, Black, Sacre, Randle, Bass, Kelly, Nance, Kobe, Young, Clarkson, Williams, Anthony Brown, and Russell.

Huertas might be 14 if he has a guaranteed deal.

Then you'd have Frazier, Holmes, Jabari Brown, and possibly Upshaw competing for 1 spots. I don't think any of them have guaranteed deals, though a couple have small partial guarantees like $50,000.

That said, the Lakers have a few guys with one year left on small deals they could move -- Kelly, Sacre, Black -- so a lot could happen depending on how guys do in camp.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Am I forgetting anyone?

Jabari Brown has a non-guaranteed contract. I don't think Upshaw has a deal yet and it's not certain whether he will be invited to training camp.

So I think the 13 guys who are set with full guaranteed deals as of now are Hibbert, Black, Sacre, Randle, Bass, Kelly, Nance, Kobe, Young, Clarkson, Williams, Anthony Brown, and Russell.

Then you'd have Frazier, Holmes, Jabari Brown, and possibly Upshaw competing for 1 spots. I don't think any of them have guaranteed deals, though a couple have small partial guarantees like $50,000.

That said, the Lakers have a few guys with one year left on small deals they could move -- Kelly, Sacre, Black -- so a lot could happen depending on how guys do in camp.

Mitch, please waive the magic wand and make Suckre, Kelly and Young disappear.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Sort of reminds me of Kendall Marshall. The good thing is that he knows his role coming in is to run the team smoothly off the bench. The bad thing is that supposedly he has a problem with getting caught on screens and the team's defensive efficiency dropped off when he was on the floor.

Something interesting to me is that the Lakers have a good scout in Spain and have undoubtedly been watching Barcelona. But Hezonja didn't seem to have been on their radar at all. He seems like the kind of player that they would take a hard look at.

Mitch flew out to Spain to look at Hezonja but his team benched him purposely IIRC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject:

If it wasn't for D'Antoni running Kobe into the ground, I would say I wish he was still coaching the team. This roster is a D'Antoni roster.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

orwell wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Am I forgetting anyone?

Yes, please Mitch.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject:

The Silhouette wrote:
orwell wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Am I forgetting anyone?

Yes, please Mitch.

We don't have much SF depth as it is and you guys want Nick Young gone?....
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Mitch, please waive the magic wand and make Suckre, Kelly and Young disappear. [/quote]

I think that is what we all want to see, but it's going to take a lot more than a magic wand to pull that off...
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
The Silhouette wrote:
orwell wrote:

Yes, please Mitch.

We don't have much SF depth as it is and you guys want Nick Young gone?....

Jabari Brown can play SF just as well as Young, and Nance can play defense at SF better than Young can.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject:

resgraph27 wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:
Can he play or is he a camp body?

He's a Euro Steve Nash

My thoughts exactly. Minus the injuries.

Huertas is tough!

One of the best there is at the moment to mentor our young PG-s. Nash as a coach and Huertas on the court.

One of the best news in a long time.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10
Jump to: