Marbury, Francis...they're everything what's wrong with the PG position nowadays but could they work in the triangle offense?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Marbury, Francis...they're everything what's wrong with the PG position nowadays but could they work in the triangle offense?

Think about it. I think Orlando and New York want to get rid of Francis and Marbury like nobodys bussines.
While they're obviously very talented, they're undersized as SG's and they don't have a pass first mentality that a PG should have...

However, triangle is different.

If we ever want to get rid of our "initiator" who ain't really initiating anything, how about Francis or Marbury?

Do you think those two are disaster waiting to happen in the triangle offense or you think it could work?

The thing about those two is that both can be a legit 2nd option which is something that Odom can't be.
BUT...could they be succesful initiators on a team with Kobe Bryant....or are both of them a lost cause?
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:

Hey Ron Artest. Stop disguising your self as "62"
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:

reason why people dont want Marbury:
$16,453,125
$18,281,250
$20,109,375
$21,937,500
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
reason why people dont want Marbury:
$16,453,125
$18,281,250
$20,109,375
$21,937,500

thats incredible. i had no idea what his contract was like and now i understand all the hate he gets.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject:

Okay, how about Francis?
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

62 wrote:
Okay, how about Francis?

How would KB ever get the ball?
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:

We need an initiator. Odom's not good enough.
Francis would be good enough but would Kobe see the ball? Is Francis a lost cause?

When Francis is on he's a triple double threat....however, could he and Kobe work together?

Imagine Francis averaging like 20/7/7 with KB scoring like crazy..
Sounds good but could it work?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:

Marbury - Noway.

Francis - maybe. I saw Francis play with Hill and he's a different player with him. Plays much more off the ball.

Too bad he has a long contract. I would like to see what Francis would do in Parker's position/role right now.

I think with the same role, he'd be a 15/5/5 player for us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:

Hey 62, I have a question about ur username (sorry cuz its off topics), but how did you feel about Kobe scored 81, I bet you never thought that you would have to change your username?
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

62 wrote:
We need an initiator. Odom's not good enough.
Francis would be good enough but would Kobe see the ball? Is Francis a lost cause?

When Francis is on he's a triple double threat....however, could he and Kobe work together?

Imagine Francis averaging like 20/7/7 with KB scoring like crazy..
Sounds good but could it work?

Try more like 18/5/5 at best.

The point guard that we need, needs to be a defensive minded/3pt%/ that can pass.

Don't need them to be a scorer. Just need them to be able to shoot the 3 to spread the floor, and he needs to be a guard that can defend the PG/SG.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:

Well, Francis and Mobley were able to work together, weren't they?

Hell, Francis, Mobley AND Hill were able to co exist.

Maybe, just maybe we should consider Francis..
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:

According to Emplay, the Magic offered Francis was Butler and our last year picks.

Lakers rejected it.

Infact, Minny was in the talks for Francis and said No to just recently before they pulled the Boston deal instead.

Francis' value is very low right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject:

IMO, i dont think we really be should paying much for a point guard. All we need from a point guard is to play defense and hit open shots. No need for a 10 mil/per year or 20 mil/per year point guard.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
IMO, i dont think we really be should paying much for a point guard. All we need from a point guard is to play defense and hit open shots. No need for a 10 mil/per year or 20 mil/per year point guard.

While there obviously is no perfect player available, Francis wouldn't be bad. He could do everything Odom is doing and more (cept for rebounding )

He can initiate the offense, shoot, rebound, play defense and average 20 points a game.
He could be that #2 guy..
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject:

we dont need a perfect player. Just a perfect compliment for a reasonble price. We had one with Harper/Shaw during those championship runs.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:

I dunno, Francis is a spoiled brat - remember the grizz drafted him and he got himself traded to houston. Now he's even been benched in orlando for pouting and selfishness. we don't need a bad attitude. Talent wise I think he could fit, but combine his attitude with the ballhogging and huge contract and I say that's a pass.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Earl Watson would have been really good.

Played 2 in college and plays hard on defense at 1 in the NBA.

Too bad he's signed for so much money ....
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

According to Emplay, the Magic offered Francis was Butler and our last year picks.

Lakers rejected it.

Infact, Minny was in the talks for Francis and said No to just recently before they pulled the Boston deal instead.

Francis' value is very low right now.

Will concur about Francis' current trade value.

I recall the rumor, though, pertaining to Butler. If true, I think it was a good refusal on the Laker's part - especially if Orlando wouldn't even consider swapping 1st round picks.

As for whether or not Francis and Kobe could co-exist?

I think that the tandem Francis and Cuts had going in Houston speaks for itself. Francis is more than willing to give up the rock to someone who shows proficiency. In essence I think that Game would recognize Game and Kobe would love having a player on the roster that would allow him to get a cup of water without having a Laker lead decrease or a deficit increase.

Though not excusing his conduct in Orlando, I really believe that Francis ha been a victim of circumstance - especially in Houston where he was a great player with Mobley. Then Van Gundy comes on the scene and declares that Yao Ming should be the team's first offensive option - despite the fact that Ming's conditioning (or lack thereof) limits him to, at most, 2 quarters. Don't believe me? Just look what happens when McGrady can't play. Ming can't carry the load. This had to be a slap in the face to Francis. When they got rid of Cuts, it was the last straw (thought the crying was over the top).

I had previously proposed a trade where the Lakers could acquire Franchise and the rights to Fran Vasquez in exchange for Odom, Slava, and Miami's #1.

With what's gone on in Orlando, though, I'm betting that we could keep the pick.

Who knows whether or not Vasquez will pan out to be anything. But at the very least, he could become an extra bargaining chip in the pursuit of a bigger body (or better SF) down the road.

Let's make no mistake, though. Francis is a baller who can do it all. I think he just needs the proverbial "fresh start."
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject:

JoeJohnson would have been Ideal. $$$ and all. hes big, can D 1's,and,2's outstanding offense. Great complimentary player
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I had previously proposed a trade where the Lakers could acquire Franchise and the rights to Fran Vasquez in exchange for Odom, Slava, and Miami's #1

It's an interesting offer, but I would pass on Vasquez.

If it were Villanueva or Diogu with that pick, I would do it.

Francis can not be relied upon as the team's point guard. I would like him to be here as a SG. That would mean Kobe's the SF, Francis is the SG and Odom's the primary point. That's pretty much what's going on with the current Lakers with Parker being the SG on offense.

That would be interesting. Just like in Orlando when they had Hill running the point with Francis basically being a 2 guard. I think they were in the playoff picture at that time last season ...

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject:

francis doesn't pay defense and marbury has hands down the worst contract in the entire nba.
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

i think if coached and controlled that francis would be perfect for this team. i think if anyone could do it that phil would be able to. this kid is super talented and could be a great defender. he has all the tools to be. i have seen that guy play since his days at Maryland and he is just a freak of an athlete. I would not want to give odom up for him but if we could get him without giving up odom i would do it.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject:

We need a much better point guard.

All we need from the 3 spot is defense and outside shooting.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:

vicman wrote:
i think if coached and controlled that francis would be perfect for this team. i think if anyone could do it that phil would be able to. this kid is super talented and could be a great defender. he has all the tools to be. i have seen that guy play since his days at Maryland and he is just a freak of an athlete. I would not want to give odom up for him but if we could get him without giving up odom i would do it.

Interesting.

I think myself and Jam had the same thought.

Imagine Francis as the 2nd option and with the green light to be a scorer off the ball?

That with Odom running the point. We would have to stop worrying about Odom's scoring and just allow Francis and Bryant to do their thing.

The problem is that Francis' K is pretty long. Kills any chance at 2007 capspace.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
We need a much better point guard.

All we need from the 3 spot is defense and outside shooting.

JJ

Though you are right, Francis isn't really a point guard. He is much better suited to be a SG.

And remember, Kobe is the team's SF on O. There's nothing that's going to change that for the rest of his career.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: