2015 College Football thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject:

Anyone do FanDuel or DraftKings? Did my first college football DFS today and won a 100-team league! Too bad it the entry was only for 5 bucks since I wanted to just get my feet wet, but that was fun.

Some thoughts about the games today:

--Al Golden really is a horrible game coach, there's no doubt about that.

--BYU reminds me a lot of Stanford, and it didn't surprise me that the game was a close one. The 17 point spread was like stealing.

--In regard to how good Fournette is, I remember watching LSU's bowl game with Notre Dame and wondering why they were barely playing Fournette. Cost them the game, too. Kid is incredible.

--This has to be the worst QB situation Nick Saban has ever had at Alabama.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
Phew and breathe. Go Bruins and haha at SC

SC can brag all they want about how they get a better recruiting class (per scholarship) during the off-season, but when one teams coach is Jim Mora, a guy who has coached in an NFL super bowl, and the others teams coach is Steve Sarkisian, a guy who has probably never stayed sober enough to watch an entire NFL super-bowl game, you can have all the 5 star recruits in the world, it won't matter if they aren't coached up right. All the talk this season about how aggressive the defense is going to be, and how they are going to be so fresh because of rapid substitutions, blah blah blah. They gave up 41 points to freaking Stanford. How long will Haden stick his neck out for this idiot before their necks are tied together in the guillotine?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject:

NIU did great job of exposing Ohio State. They were an interception away from a potential upset. Ohio State is lucky Bama lost or that #1 spot would likely have been lost.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

SC can brag all they want about how they get a better recruiting class (per scholarship) during the off-season, but when one teams coach is Jim Mora, a guy who has coached in an NFL super bowl, and the others teams coach is Steve Sarkisian, a guy who has probably never stayed sober enough to watch an entire NFL super-bowl game, you can have all the 5 star recruits in the world, it won't matter if they aren't coached up right. All the talk this season about how aggressive the defense is going to be, and how they are going to be so fresh because of rapid substitutions, blah blah blah. They gave up 41 points to freaking Stanford. How long will Haden stick his neck out for this idiot before their necks are tied together in the guillotine?

Sarkisian is doing just fine. This was a classic trap game for usc. Stanford has played them well and came off a couple of weeks where they looked bad and were ready for some redemption.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Sarkisian is doing just fine. This was a classic trap game for usc. Stanford has played them well and came off a couple of weeks where they looked bad and were ready for some redemption.

Yea, I think Sark is good where he is. I'd have preferred Lame Kitten but Sark is just as good.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Its a joke that people are convincing themselves this guy is doing a good job. The players don't respect him, the boosters want him gone, the writing is on the wall. The team is not going to play well with that energy around it and a coach is not going to coach well with that type of energy around him either.

(bleep) fight on baby, lets hope it was an anomaly and just a simple trap game.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject:

Not surprised USC lost...the home team in the USC vs Stanford games usually lose.....if I recall USC won at Stanford a couple of years ago when Stanford was ranked and Stanford kicked USC's ass back when USC was in the national title picture.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject:

ND won yesterday but another ridiculous injury this time a player celebrated a play and his knee buckled

Its a game of attrition.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:

USC got physically dominated by the Stanford offensive line.

The only stud they have on defense is Cravens, the rest of the guys are either too young, too soft or simply overrated.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
USC [b]got physically dominated by the Stanford offensive line.[b/]

The only stud they have on defense is Cravens, the rest of the guys are either too young, too soft or simply overrated.

but also they got out-schemed.....they never figured out how to put pressure on Hogan....when SC blitzed... Stanford ran a screen... they just got taken to school
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
USC [b]got physically dominated by the Stanford offensive line.[b/]

but also they got out-schemed.....they never figured out how to put pressure on Hogan....when SC blitzed... Stanford ran a screen... they just got taken to school

I hope they can manage to win most of the rest of the games on their schedule. 2 loss season is still doable right?

Maybe the buddy system isn't the best for hiring practices at such high levels of competition. Why would Sark have Pentergast replaced with Wilcox other than personal reasons? Them being buddies at Washington who probably drank and womanized together regularly.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Those 2 cupcake teams they played in their home opener was poor preparation for playing Stanford....you can definitely see the difference in quality of play yesterday.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Those 2 cupcake teams they played in their home opener was poor preparation for playing Stanford....you can definitely see the difference in quality of play yesterday.

True, but every team does that. It can just easily serve to build confidence. They ran a lot of head scratchers against these poor opponents. Like running a dive on 4th and one out of shotgun. The offensive schemes are more to blame in that case. And Sark brought in his drinking buddy from Washington to replace Pedergast.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Well, UCLA is in trouble. Already they've lost their top 3 key defensive players to season-ending injuries. This opens the door for usc to sneak up in the race for the division title. It will be interesting to see how the season unfolds.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject:

My way-too-early playoff picks:

Ohio State -- I think the near miss was just what they needed. The Big Ten is still soft, so they just need to get past MSU.

Georgia -- I think they get past the SEC West team this year.

Oklahoma -- TCU is beat up, and Baylor does not look sharp. OU does have an impressive ability to lose inexplicably, though.

UCLA -- The Pac looks weak this year. However, the ACC teams do not impress me. I would have picked the Irish before the injury.

There, the Kiss of Death has been delivered to four unsuspecting teams.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Ohio State -- I think the near miss was just what they needed. The Big Ten is still soft, so they just need to get past MSU.

Oklahoma -- TCU is beat up, and Baylor does not look sharp. OU does have an impressive ability to lose inexplicably, though.

UCLA -- The Pac looks weak this year. However, the ACC teams do not impress me. I would have picked the Irish before the injury.

I like your last one but it's going to be a struggle with a freshman QB who got a little too cocky on his throws lately with the first game success and 3 future NFL'ers out for the season on D with ACL/foot injuries, one of whom was the heart of that D.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Well, UCLA is in trouble. Already they've lost their top 3 key defensive players to season-ending injuries. This opens the door for usc to sneak up in the race for the division title. It will be interesting to see how the season unfolds.

Our key defensive player is our NT, Clark. He's still there. Also, USC isn't good and their schedule is tough: @Oregon, @Cal, @Arizona. They got to play Stanford at home and blew it. They have to play UCLA and Utah. I think that's at least 2 losses along with the Stanford loss. It's going to be tough winning the division with 3 losses.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

OSU is going to get exposed at QB and cough up a game or two.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Our key defensive player is our NT, Clark. He's still there. Also, USC isn't good and their schedule is tough: @Oregon, @Cal, @Arizona. They got to play Stanford at home and blew it. They have to play UCLA and Utah. I think that's at least 2 losses along with the Stanford loss. It's going to be tough winning the division with 3 losses.

If healthy, the defense would have been top-10 even with the fast-paced style preferred on offense. Now unless some younger players step up big time they're gonna be average with the bend but don't break style defense. I think Hollins is the key player. If he's not terrorizing the QB without getting held like in the BYU game, there just aren't enough pass-rushers on the line to force pressure. The Pac-12 South is gonna be a war.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Yea, I think Sark is good where he is. I'd have preferred Lame Kitten but Sark is just as good.

Lane got a bad rep. He should not have been fired. He was perfect for usc.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:

I understand the temptation behind that statement. However . . . these are the same two QBs who played for OSU last year. That turned out okay for the Buckeyes. Also, take a look at OSU's schedule.

Sat, Sept 26 vs W Michigan

Sat, Oct 3 @ Indiana

Sat, Oct 10 vs Maryland

Sat, Oct 17 vs Penn State

Sat, Oct 24 @ Rutgers

Sat, Nov 7 vs Minnesota

Sat, Nov 14 @ Illinois

Sat, Nov 21 vs #2 Michigan State

Sat, Nov 28 @ Michigan

So the only difficult road game is Michigan. MSU won't be easy, for sure. The possibilities for the Big 10 title game are all fairly soft, with the toughest possibly being Northwestern or maybe Nebraska.

I won't be shocked if OSU loses a game. It's college football, after all. However, of all of the teams that we talk about for the playoffs, does anyone have an easier road?
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

I understand the temptation behind that statement. However . . . these are the same two QBs who played for OSU last year. That turned out okay for the Buckeyes. Also, take a look at OSU's schedule.

Sat, Oct 3 @ Indiana

Sat, Oct 10 vs Maryland

Sat, Oct 24 @ Rutgers

Sat, Nov 7 vs Minnesota

Sat, Nov 14 @ Illinois

Sat, Nov 28 @ Michigan

So the only difficult road game is Michigan. MSU won't be easy, for sure. The possibilities for the Big 10 title game are all fairly soft, with the toughest possibly being Northwestern or maybe Nebraska.

I won't be shocked if OSU loses a game. It's college football, after all. However, of all of the teams that we talk about for the playoffs, does anyone have an easier road?

I didn't realize their schedule was that easy with only one ranked team. Is MSU's any tougher?

By the end of the season, OSU's two QBs will be completely exposed. I'm not sold on either one. I think they'll regress as opponents get more tape on them. At least, they're lucky enough to get MSU at home this year.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Lane got a bad rep. He should not have been fired. He was perfect for usc.

Bubble screen
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

Sat, Oct 3 @ Indiana

Sat, Oct 10 vs Maryland

Sat, Oct 24 @ Rutgers

Sat, Nov 7 vs Minnesota

Sat, Nov 14 @ Illinois

Sat, Nov 28 @ Michigan

I didn't realize their schedule was that easy with only one ranked team. Is MSU's any tougher?

By the end of the season, OSU's two QBs will be completely exposed. I'm not sold on either one. I think they'll regress as opponents get more tape on them. At least, they're lucky enough to get MSU at home this year.

Teams had plenty of tape of the QB's last year and they were incredible from the 3rd game on. The issue is not the QB's. Urban Meyer even said so. It is the new coordinator, QB coach, and Urban getting on the same page. Right now teams are running gimmick 3-4's and confusing the O-line with the blocking schemes. The offensive staff has done a terrible job of adjusting. Last year VT ran a bear front and OSU couldn't adjust. They were ready for it the rest of the year and destroyed the teams who tired it. VT tried that same garbage this year, and OSU put 42 on them with 3 turnovers. Should've been 50+. They are going to have to figure out a 3-4 soon.

The only issue I see with the QB's is that they might be looking over their shoulder every time they make a mistake. I still don't think JT Barrett is 100% healed from his broken ankle from last year. He has had several easy first down runs and instead tried to force the ball into coverage.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:

MSU's schedule is similar, but with road games at Michigan and Nebraska.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9
Jump to: