Bill Simmons on dysfunction in the Clippers organization
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Bill Simmons on dysfunction in the Clippers organization

Here were his earlier tweets:

Quote:
1. Steve Ballmer seems like a nice enough guy. Donald Sterling was one of the worst human being who ever owned a pro sports franchise.

2. With that said - since last summer, the Ballmer Clips have been just as much of disaster behind the scenes as the Sterling Clips were.

3. Ballmer has shown ZERO evidence that he knows what he's doing. And it's been the best kept secret in the NBA for 15-16 months.

4. The Clips organization has been as dysfunctional as ever - not just the team but especially off the court. It's a laundry list of things.

5. And I'm gonna be interested to see which reporter jeopardizes their long-term access/connections to write the story... Cuz it's coming...

6. Three most dysfunctional NBA organizations right now are the Kings, Hornets and Clippers and I am not sure of the order... (Ok I'm done)

PS: Sorry to offend the Knicks and Nets fans that you don't have a top-3 most dysfunctional NBA organization... You were honorable mention.

And now his more recent ones:

Quote:

We're starting to get warmer... http://www.tmz.com/2015/09/07/l-a-clippers-power-struggle-steve-ballmer-doc-rivers-gillian-zucker/

Big part of Clippers' behind-the-scenes issues: all the longtime/loyal employees who were fired or quit because of the new Prez. Over 10.

Off earlier Clips tweet: was talking about the president (Gillian Zucker) and the non-basketball side of operations. It's been... chaotic.

PS: Not just b/c of firings/layoffs/departures either. Zucker regime also having issues with the team's sponsors, TV and the NBA itself.

Enjoy...
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject:

And yet Simmons year after year, supported one of the worst human beings ever to own a sports franchise, monetarily by purchasing season tickets from him. Way to go Bill. What a tool.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject:

What are the odds that Simmons is feeding the info to TMZ? It's not a "go-to" sports source, but it has an outlet and of course he can just re-tweet it to provide a high profile outlet.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

Makes sense. Dippers gonna dip
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:

I thought the Lakers were dysfunctional? Or are those just assumptions from SAS and Laker fans?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
I thought the Lakers were dysfunctional? Or are those just assumptions from SAS and Laker fans?

no they are not assumptions... its what we have witnessed between the behavior of Jeanie and Jimmy Buss
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
And yet Simmons year after year, supported one of the worst human beings ever to own a sports franchise, monetarily by purchasing season tickets from him. Way to go Bill. What a tool.

I guess if I moved to Boston, and if you had to choose b/w being a Celtics fan and a Patriots fan...
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

I guess if I moved to Boston, and if you had to choose b/w being a Celtics fan and a Patriots fan...

Answer C - Jump off John Hancock Tower.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject:

What is the dysfunction with the Hornets.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
What is the dysfunction with the Hornets.

I think he's taking a shot at Jordan
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:

That's just Stephen A and other impatient fans. Other than Jeanie and her big mouth about everything Phil, the Lakers are just like every other team whose core got old and faced a few down seasons because of it. The Lakers direction is pretty clear. They're stockpiling young talent and they're going to keep trying to get stars in free agency. When teams are dysfunctional, you can't tell what they're trying to do.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject:

I don't see why this is a surprise... taking over an organization is never smooth sailing - especially under the circumstances under which said organization was taken over.

I'd give them another couple of years to right the ship before I call this another Windows 8 catastrophe again.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
I don't see why this is a surprise... taking over an organization is never smooth sailing - especially under the circumstances under which said organization was taken over.

I'd give them another couple of years to right the ship before I call this another Windows 8 catastrophe again.

70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject:

I'm not reading much real evidence in Simmons' writing that there's something going bad in Ballmer's ownership. Hell, the tossing of ten guys from the old regime isn't bad in itself, other than Simmons saying it's bad.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I'm not reading much real evidence in Simmons' writing that there's something going bad in Ballmer's ownership. Hell, the tossing of ten guys from the old regime isn't bad in itself, other than Simmons saying it's bad.

The initial series of tweets was posted after the Clips got fined over the DJ endorsement promise. Perhaps he's hinting that Zucker (non-basketball operations) injected herself into that FA pitch to offer that deal in violation of NBA rules.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

i'd take Ballmer as owner over the Buss sibling any day
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

You say that now...
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I don't find Balmer any better, he just has billionaire deep pockets.

Bye.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I wouldn't go that far, and I am no fan of Jimbo but just because a guy has a ton of money doesn't mean he knows how to run a sports franchise. At least the Buss kids, Jeannie in particular, got a chance to watch Dr Buss in action for many, many years. Ballmer's walking in the door like he knows everything...and I'm almost certain that he doesn't.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject:

I'll take this more seriously when and if it starts showing up in more conventional sources than Simmons and TMZ. The usual insider sources like Woj have been quiet on the subject.

I agree that the departure of ten people from the old regime is not automatically significant. As for the notion that Zucker is interfering with the basketball side of the operation, I note that none of the sources could provide a specific example of this happening. It's all vague. It could be true, of course, but it sounds like someone has an axe to grind with Zucker. If you start thinking about who in the Clippers organization would have a connection to Simmons, the possibilities are disturbing from the Clippers perspective.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Getting rid of most of Sterling's hires is a bad thing?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:

I thought people hated Simmons on this forum.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I thought people hated Simmons on this forum.
I personally really enjoy his writing. He might not be the best writer himself, but Grantland was a masterpiece and some of the best basketball related articles I've read. You just have to disregard the fact that he's a Celtic homer to enjoy his work. I also respect his willingness to give a big finger to ESPN
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject:

Its hard to take Simmons' seriously, I don't know why anyone else is. If this were a boston story he'd have the opposite opinion
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

They just need to leave L.A. and find a new identity. Two teams in the SAME city, in the SAME arena, in the SAME conference... it's just dumb.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: