Warriors hiring Steve Nash

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Warriors hiring Steve Nash

Interesting I thought he'd be working with the Lakers or maybe Suns....

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/09/15/report-warriors-hiring-steve-nash/

Quote:
Report: Warriors hiring Steve Nash

Steve Kerr – who ran the Suns’ front office while Steve Nash was in Phoenix – credited Nash for laying the foundation of the Warriors’ championship.

Now, Nash will have more of a direct effect on Golden State.

Marc Stein of ESPN:

Presumably, Nash will work with the Warriors’ point guards.

Imagine what he could do for Stephen Curry, already the reigning MVP. Curry is a good passer, but not a great one – though he doesn’t need to be. His scoring ability opens passing lanes that don’t exist for other point guards. Nash could help him set up teammates just a little better.

Nash could similarly aid backups Shaun Livingston and Leandro Barbosa, and he could help anyone with shooting.

Of course, learning from a great player doesn’t make someone great. These types of coaching additions rarely meet the outsized expectations.

Still, I’d definitely rather have Nash around than not.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject:

His kids live in San Francisco don't they?
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Warriors hiring Steve Nash

Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Steve Kerr – who ran the Suns’ front office while Steve Nash was in Phoenix – credited Nash for laying the foundation of the Warriors’ championship.

Marc Stein of ESPN:

Imagine what he could do for Stephen Curry, already the reigning MVP. Curry is a good passer, but not a great one – though he doesn’t need to be. His scoring ability opens passing lanes that don’t exist for other point guards. Nash could help him set up teammates just a little better.

Nash could similarly aid backups Shaun Livingston and Leandro Barbosa, and he could help anyone with shooting.

Of course, learning from a great player doesn’t make someone great. These types of coaching additions rarely meet the outsized expectations.

I never felt he brought into being a Laker. I think it was just a money grab.
Hard to turn down a contract at his age with the number of years on the contract.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Warriors hiring Steve Nash

easybreeze wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Marc Stein of ESPN:

Hard to turn down a contract at his age with the number of years on the contract.

Nash reportedly turned down a bigger contract from Toronto -- 3 years, $36 million -- to sign with us. So it seems he actually sacrificed $9 million to be a Laker.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Warriors hiring Steve Nash

activeverb wrote:
easybreeze wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Marc Stein of ESPN:

Nash reportedly turned down a bigger contract from Toronto -- 3 years, $36 million -- to sign with us. So it seems he actually sacrificed $9 million to be a Laker.

Hard to believe teams would reportedly make such offers. Then, again a players past performance carries weight.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Warriors hiring Steve Nash

easybreeze wrote:
Hard to believe teams would reportedly make such offers. Then, again a players past performance carries weight.

Nash was coming off an all-star season where he averaged 13-11 (2nd in the league in assists) on 53% shooting. Lots of teams wanted him. His contract wasn't outrageous; he simply had a terrible accident immediately with us, and that ruined his entire stint here.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Warriors hiring Steve Nash

activeverb wrote:
easybreeze wrote:

Nash was coming off an all-star season where he averaged 13-11 (2nd in the league in assists) on 53% shooting. Lots of teams wanted him. His contract wasn't outrageous; he simply had a terrible accident immediately with us, and that ruined his entire stint here.

I don't think his contract was outrageous either. His name alone will bring in fans, which I think is what the Lakers had in mine.

I recall seeing Nash having back issues years ago. 13-11 do look good on paper at his age.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

Well have two young guards that could really use his tutoring, so of course we just let him walk.

With all these young guys the Lakers need to treat part of their front office/coaching staff like a college program. Develop these guys as much as possible. Cap already has the bigs covered, Worthy and (soon) Kobe will have the wings covered, we could've used Nash.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: