14 year old brings home made clock to school. Stupidity ensues.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:
You've got this plus Mark Cuban, who talked directly to officials from the school district, saying that some English teacher asked him to put it away because it was making people nervous and he refused.

Listen to the video. Mark Cuban said once removed, second hand, from what I heard. His statement is hearsay.

Inadmissible in a court of law, sure.

But it isn't hearsay that he directly talked to school officials. He did talk directly to officials?

What's hearsay, is what those officials said happened between the teacher and Ahmed.

Again, I'm not hanging my hat on that one thing -- and it doesn't seem that far fetched when you consider it in light of all of the other information that is out there.

Listen closely to the video. Cuban says, I talked to people in Irvin Texas that worked with people in the park who worked for the school. What did you hear? He didn't talk directly to officials. All his statements are second hand hearsay. He says so on 2 3 occasions.

People in the park?! Honest question, are you hard of hearing? Listen (harder). Then dissect.

Anyway, he said he spoke to people in Irving who "work with people in Macarthur, the school."

Ahmed went to Macarthur High School, in Irving, TX, FWIW.

Where are you getting that he talked to people in the park!?!?!? lol

Missed MacArthur, thought I heard park. Where do you hear he talked directly to officials at the school?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dominator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:
You've got this plus Mark Cuban, who talked directly to officials from the school district, saying that some English teacher asked him to put it away because it was making people nervous and he refused.

Listen to the video. Mark Cuban said once removed, second hand, from what I heard. His statement is hearsay.

But it isn't hearsay that he directly talked to school officials. He did talk to them directly.

What's hearsay, is what those officials said happened between the teacher and Ahmed.

Again, I'm not hanging my hat on that one thing -- and it doesn't seem that far fetched when you consider it in light of all of the other information that is out there.

Listen closely to the video. Cuban says, I talked to people in Irvin Texas that worked with people in the park who worked for the school. What did you hear? He didn't talk directly to officials. All his statements are second hand hearsay. He says so on 2 3 occasions.

People in the park?! Honest question, are you hard of hearing? Listen (harder). Then dissect.

Anyway, he said he spoke to people in Irving who "work with [b]people in Macarthur[/b], the school."

Which is the definition of secondhand information. He didn't talk to anyone directly involved. Why are you being so obtuse?

I'm not the one making up commentary about Mark Cuban talking to people in a park.

He spoke to people that had inside knowledge and accounts of what happened.

That doesn't make what he said definitive. But when you take what Cuban said on the Bill Maher show, and you pair it up with everything else, it doesn't sound unreasonable at all.

It's hearsay, but that doesn't mean it counts for nothing -- that is only in a court of law which I think sometimes people tend to forget about the interwebz.

So we agree that Mark Cuban didn't talk to anyone directly involved with the situation. Great. That's all Jodeke is saying.

No, that statement is incorrect. Mark Cuban talked directly to Ahmed who obviously is involved in the situation.

Mark Cuban said he talked with people who work at Macarthur (Ahmed's high school).

So I don't know what your point is. That he is lying?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

But it isn't hearsay that he directly talked to school officials. He did talk directly to officials?

Anyway, he said he spoke to people in Irving who "work with people in Macarthur, the school."

Missed Macarther, thought I heard park. Where do you hear he talked directly to officials at the school?

You're just messing with me now aren't you? Just be honest.

He said he spoke to people who work with the people who work at Macarthur.

That would mean, by process of reading/listening and dissecting, that he spoke to people who work at Macarthur. Just a weird way of saying it but he's talking off the cuff.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

Missed Macarther, thought I heard park. Where do you hear he talked directly to officials at the school?

You're just messing with me now aren't you? Just be honest.

He said he spoke to people who work with the people who work at Macarthur.

That would mean, by process of reading/listening and dissecting, that he spoke to people who work at Macarthur. Just a weird way of saying it but he's talking off the cuff.

Be honest? Why don't you try? He spoke to people in Irving, he didn't speak directly to officials.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dominator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dominator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

But it isn't hearsay that he directly talked to school officials. He did talk to them directly.

Anyway, he said he spoke to people in Irving who "work with [b]people in Macarthur[/b], the school."

Which is the definition of secondhand information. He didn't talk to anyone directly involved. Why are you being so obtuse?

I'm not the one making up commentary about Mark Cuban talking to people in a park.

That doesn't make what he said definitive. But when you take what Cuban said on the Bill Maher show, and you pair it up with everything else, it doesn't sound unreasonable at all.

It's hearsay, but that doesn't mean it counts for nothing -- that is only in a court of law which I think sometimes people tend to forget about the interwebz.

So we agree that Mark Cuban didn't talk to anyone directly involved with the situation. Great. That's all Jodeke is saying.

No, that statement is incorrect. Mark Cuban talked directly to Ahmed who obviously is involved in the situation.

Mark Cuban said he talked with people who work at Macarthur (Ahmed's high school).

Where did he say he spoke to Ahmed? Certainly not in that video. What he did say, however, was that his information was "once-removed" and "secondhand". He used the word secondhand himself and you're still trying to claim that he spoke directly to school officials.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dominator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dominator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

Where did he say he spoke to Ahmed? Certainly not in that video. What he did say, however, was that his information was "once-removed" and "secondhand". He used the word secondhand himself and you're still trying to claim that he spoke directly to school officials.

He said he spoke to Ahmed in the very same show. I don't know if it was in that particular video or not. It's on YouTube somewhere. Go check it out maybe? Or are you expecting me to do the work for you? Jeez man. =(

Anyway, he said he spoke with people who work with people at the school. So, thus, those would be co-workers, no? Thus, co-workers would be employees of the school.

And yes, it was second hand. He spoke to people who worked at the school, but were not in the classroom at the time all this went on. Bingo.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Just as it’s ridiculous for an elementary school student to get suspended for using his hands as fake guns and going ‘pow pow’ at his friends, it’s also ridiculous to suspend a high school Muslim student for strapping on paper and wire that looks like fake bomb in order to ask a girl to the prom.

Student Suspended for Corny Bomb Joke
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
Just as it’s ridiculous for an elementary school student to get suspended for using his hands as fake guns and going ‘pow pow’ at his friends, it’s also ridiculous to suspend a high school Muslim student for strapping on paper and wire that looks like fake bomb in order to ask a girl to the prom.

Those comments
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dominator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dominator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dominator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

He said he spoke to Ahmed in the very same show. I don't know if it was in that particular video or not. It's on YouTube somewhere. Go check it out maybe? Or are you expecting me to do the work for you? Jeez man. =(

Anyway, he said he spoke with people who work with people at the school. So, thus, those would be co-workers, no? Thus, co-workers would be employees of the school.

And yes, it was second hand. He spoke to people who worked at the school, but were not in the classroom at the time all this went on. Bingo.

Yeah, if you're making a claim you should be the one that provides the evidence for that claim. You can't claim something and then expect everyone else to go and verify your nonsense. If you want to view that as doing work for me, fine, I guess.

Saying he spoke with people that "work with" officials at the school absolutely does not mean they're co-workers at the same school. They could work together in any number of capacities.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

Those comments

So now the debate begins. Is this racism?

Or over zealousness of the zero tolerance mindset?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
Yeah, if you're making a claim you should be the one that provides the evidence for that claim. You can't claim something and then expect everyone else to go and verify your nonsense. If you want to view that as doing work for me, fine, I guess.

Saying he spoke with people that "work with" officials at the school absolutely does not mean they're co-workers at the same school. They could work together in any number of capacities.

I'm not writing a thesis here. We're discussing. It's not like I'm bringing up something that is obscure. I've done the work -- you can too. It's on YouTube for crying out loud. You want to participate in this -- do your homework man!

Anyway -- here.

And I'm sure you'll complain about having to sit down and spend 8 mins watching this video so I broke it down for you. Nice and easy.

0:54 mark - "I've talked to the kid, right. He's from Dallas."

0:57 mark - "And I've talked to people in the school district."

You're welcome.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ahmed Mohamed, the Texas teen arrested after his school mistook the clock he made for a bomb, will be moving to Qatar with his family, according to various reports.

The criticism the 14-year-old has received since his arrest in September for what he said was a school project just became too much, his sister, Eyman, told the Washington Post. Eyman, 19, made reference to theories circulating on the Internet that Ahmed made the clock as a stunt. The teen became an international cause celebre after the incident.

"There's so much stuff being said that isn't true," Eyman Mohamed, 19, told the Post. "Everybody's vilifying him and he's not a villain. He's a 14-year-old boy."

The family made the decision to move in the last day, family friend Anthony Bond, founder of the Irving, Texas, NAACP, told the Post. Critics believe Ahmed was targeted for arrest last month because of his name and appearance. School officials have said safety was their main concern.

Ahmed will study under a scholarship from the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development, Time reported the Mohamed family said in a statement.

Family members said in the statement Ahmed received many "generous offers," but the family settled on the one from the Qatar organization to join its Young Innovators Program which, they said, "...reflects the organization's ongoing dedication to empowering young people and fostering a culture of innovation and creativity."

In the statement, Ahmed shared his excitement over the move, according to Time. "Qatar was a cool place to visit," he said. "I saw so many amazing schools there, many of them campuses of famous American universities ... The teachers were great. I think I will learn a lot and have fun too."

ClockBoy Headed to Middle East For Terrorist Training
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
Ahmed Mohamed, the Texas teen arrested after his school mistook the clock he made for a bomb, will be moving to Qatar with his family, according to various reports.

The criticism the 14-year-old has received since his arrest in September for what he said was a school project just became too much, his sister, Eyman, told the Washington Post. Eyman, 19, made reference to theories circulating on the Internet that Ahmed made the clock as a stunt. The teen became an international cause celebre after the incident.

"There's so much stuff being said that isn't true," Eyman Mohamed, 19, told the Post. "Everybody's vilifying him and he's not a villain. He's a 14-year-old boy."

The family made the decision to move in the last day, family friend Anthony Bond, founder of the Irving, Texas, NAACP, told the Post. Critics believe Ahmed was targeted for arrest last month because of his name and appearance. School officials have said safety was their main concern.

Ahmed will study under a scholarship from the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development, Time reported the Mohamed family said in a statement.

Family members said in the statement Ahmed received many "generous offers," but the family settled on the one from the Qatar organization to join its Young Innovators Program which, they said, "...reflects the organization's ongoing dedication to empowering young people and fostering a culture of innovation and creativity."

In the statement, Ahmed shared his excitement over the move, according to Time. "Qatar was a cool place to visit," he said. "I saw so many amazing schools there, many of them campuses of famous American universities ... The teachers were great. I think I will learn a lot and have fun too."

For his next trick, he's going to gut a Sanyo calculator and then put it inside a tin of caramel corn, and then be elected President of Qatar.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

For his next trick, he's going to gut a Sanyo calculator and then put it inside a tin of caramel corn, and then be elected President of Qatar.

Haha. And by gut you mean, just remove the plastic bit.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Clockboy demands 15 million on top of the virtual handie he already received courtesy of the internet

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/ahmed-mohamed-demands-15m-compensation-for-homemade-clock-arrest-a6745706.html

>smart enough to convince people he "invented" a clock
>not smart enough not to know when he's overplaying his hand

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Good luck with that.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Good luck with that.

Are the lawyers handling the suit doing it pro bono? If so I don't know why they would take a case that has little chance to succeed if they didn't have viable grounds.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Publicity. Local government will sometimes pay money to keep a case from going to court. I'm not going to bore you with the legal details, but it is really hard to successfully sue a local government for damages over a constitutional violation. You can sue the individuals, but most of them will be judgment proof if you can get past their defenses. And then there is the question of damages. What damages does this kid really have?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Publicity. Local government will sometimes pay money to keep a case from going to court. I'm not going to bore you with the legal details, but it is really hard to successfully sue a local government for damages over a constitutional violation. You can sue the individuals, but most of them will be judgment proof if you can get past their defenses. And then there is the question of damages. What damages does this kid really have?

Do you think there might be a out of court settlement? I can't see 15 mill.

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

maybe, just to make it go away. but like AH said, the local government has a pretty airtight defense. The officer who arrested him may be in slight heat, but these cases are very difficult to win. the legal fees and hullabaloo in general are probably not worth it for the city, so I could see them settling for a low hundreds of K figure. Anything beyond that, and I'd hope the city's counsel is smart enough to see this as a clock of (bleep) suit and let the kid sue. They'd beat it off before it even got to discovery.

As an aside, even though the city would almost certainly win, it may have to pay something anyway on the off chance the officer lost (cities usually indemnify public officials, especially police. FWIW, atlanta is actually in a difficult spot with its PD in small part because it restricts how much it indemnifies officers and in what situations. Pretty hard to entice someone to take a job with the police if they risk paying half-a-million dollar settlement with no indemnification. Last I checked, they lost something like a hundred plus officers. [also salary issues'])
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

maybe, just to make it go away. but like AH said, the local government has a pretty airtight defense. The officer who arrested him may be in slight heat, but these cases are very difficult to win. the legal fees and hullabaloo in general are probably not worth it for the city, so I could see them settling for a low hundreds of K figure. Anything beyond that, and I'd hope the city's counsel is smart enough to see this as a clock of (bleep) suit and let the kid sue. They'd beat it off before it even got to discovery.

As an aside, even though the city would almost certainly win, it may have to pay something anyway on the off chance the officer lost (cities usually indemnify public officials, especially police. FWIW, atlanta is actually in a difficult spot with its PD in small part because it restricts how much it indemnifies officers and in what situations. Pretty hard to entice someone to take a job with the police if they risk paying half-a-million dollar settlement with no indemnification. Last I checked, they lost something like a hundred plus officers. [also salary issues'])

No wonder they're in the 10 most dangerous cities in the U.S.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

This was an attention grab from the beginning. Yes, it was BS that the kid got suspended, but if people don't think they have intentionally angled to milk this thing from the very beginning, then people aren't very perceptive.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Texas has a law like that, and this is why. If you allow local governments to indemnify police officers and the like, you just encourage those sorts of suits as a circumvention of sovereign immunity. The local governments will sometimes settle the Monell claims just to protect the individual officers, but otherwise those claims aren't worth much.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
This was an attention grab from the beginning. Yes, it was BS that the kid got suspended, but if people don't think they have intentionally angled to milk this thing from the very beginning, then people aren't very perceptive.

Yup, agreed.

But if you looked at things for what they really were, the SJWs would never have been able to tell everyone that "I Stand with Ahmed" on all of their social media outlets and stuff.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject:

The real makers of the clock should sue the kid and his family for $20M for claiming he made the clock. Then send them where the so-called "Islamophobia" is non-existent, like Afghanistan or Sudan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: