14 year old brings home made clock to school. Stupidity ensues.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Your "obvious observation" is a prejudiced assumption. You take a general observation on your part and attempt to apply it to individuals.

Not applying it to individuals at all. Just making an observation about a very prevalent issue in American society at all - as anyone who has paid any attention to the news lately can see.

You're assuming that the individuals involved at the school would have reacted differently if he was white.

Quote:
Quote:
It's pretty much the same as saying that blacks generally have a higher crime rate, then assuming that a neighborhood is full of criminals because it is primarily black.

No even remotely a correct analogy.

It's a pretty spot-on analogy.

You took a general observation about a group and assumed that a smaller group of individuals would behave a certain way because of those general observations.

I believe the correct response to that should be, "I realize what I just did and it's wrong."

Just take a look at what so many are saying - that this kid and his parents simply made a publicity/money play knowing what the reaction would be (not saying that is the case either way, nor dismissing it).

Why do you think they would say that?

Why do you think that they would think such a ploy would be successful if not for exactly the dynamic I discuss?

There are "assumptions" and there are well founded predictions based on a great deal of evidence and observation - the two are very different.

I think those comments are more about the PC nature of the country than any bigotry or prejudice about the kid.

The fact is that the clock looked like a stereotypical bomb.

And yet not one single person involved in what happened ever thought it was a bomb. In fact, quite the opposite.

I do agree that the reaction was overkill. But so are reactions about Pop-Tarts. This kid also had a history of mischief. Nothing big or dangerous, just mischievous.

Mischievous kids get in trouble. Teachers and administrators tend to give them a shorter leash.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Your "obvious observation" is a prejudiced assumption. You take a general observation on your part and attempt to apply it to individuals.

Not applying it to individuals at all. Just making an observation about a very prevalent issue in American society at all - as anyone who has paid any attention to the news lately can see.

You're assuming that the individuals involved at the school would have reacted differently if he was white.

Quote:
Quote:
It's pretty much the same as saying that blacks generally have a higher crime rate, then assuming that a neighborhood is full of criminals because it is primarily black.

No even remotely a correct analogy.

It's a pretty spot-on analogy.

You took a general observation about a group and assumed that a smaller group of individuals would behave a certain way because of those general observations.

I believe the correct response to that should be, "I realize what I just did and it's wrong."

Just take a look at what so many are saying - that this kid and his parents simply made a publicity/money play knowing what the reaction would be (not saying that is the case either way, nor dismissing it).

Why do you think they would say that?

Why do you think that they would think such a ploy would be successful if not for exactly the dynamic I discuss?

There are "assumptions" and there are well founded predictions based on a great deal of evidence and observation - the two are very different.

I think those comments are more about the PC nature of the country than any bigotry or prejudice about the kid.

The fact is that the clock looked like a stereotypical bomb.

And yet not one single person involved in what happened ever thought it was a bomb. In fact, quite the opposite.

I do agree that the reaction was overkill. But so are reactions about Pop-Tarts. This kid also had a history of mischief. Nothing big or dangerous, just mischievous.

Which is why the proportion of the overreaction was an issue.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
EddieJones714 wrote:
He's suing for 15Mil, I smell something fishy with this story.

Well Obviously he got some shiester laywer, but I saw that "clock" and it could easily be mistaken for a bomb and of course a stupid nerd-boy would not think to actually ask someone about it BEFORE trying to bring it to school!

And for his stupidity he gets to meet the President...!

If anyone thinks this incident would have been handled the same way by the school and the cops if the kid involved was a blonde white boy named Joey Smith they are either a liar or an idiot.

You're probably right.

No way he goes off to meet Obama if his name was Joey Smith.

X10000000

If anyone thinks the dad didn't plan this (tried this with the daughter), you are either a liar or an idiot.

Last edited by Kobe>Lebron on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

^ Ha.

I mean, all this illustrates is the absurdity of the times we live in. Where everyone, from the President on down to each of us, are overreacting to everything.

It's unfortunate because it distracts from the real issues.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
Jump to: