Lakers Rebuild: Case Study of OKC/Warriors Core and Why We Likely Won't Make Playoffs Until 2017 (Update, p.6, comparing Lakers's core stats and OKC/GSW)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

ya like mitch is going to come out and say: oh we are going to trade these young guys as soon as they show some potential

people in here
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Most of those guys will be solid 3-9 players on a team. We are still missing that top option. That could come with that pick
a 5-10 pick next year isn't any more likely to develop into that than Russell, Randle, and Clarkson are. We're pretty solid when it comes to youth
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
ya like mitch is going to come out and say: oh we are going to trade these young guys as soon as they show some potential

people in here

Also because there is no reason to do so. It's one thing to be salary capped and have to resort to trades; we have 60m in cap space and a possibility to get 3 max level players in the next seasons.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Most of those guys will be solid 3-9 players on a team. We are still missing that top option. That could come with that pick
a 5-10 pick next year isn't any more likely to develop into that than Russell, Randle, and Clarkson are. We're pretty solid when it comes to youth

And when 22 says we have enough youth we probably have too much youth.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

And when 22 says we have enough youth we probably have too much youth.

exactly hahaha
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Yeah, how do we know what we're missing when two of the players haven't even played yet?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

people in here

Mitch's actions, not his words, are what we need to consider.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
22 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Yeah, how do we know what we're missing when two of the players haven't even played yet?

Exactly. Can't wait to get the ball rolling with this crew
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject:

Good lordie I can't wait when DLO busts out a triple double in his first game.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

And how many 'what can we get for DLO?' threads will that spark?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And how many 'what can we get for DLO?' threads will that spark?

DLO for Okafor.

DLO for Cousins.

DLO for...wait for it...Hinrich/KG?
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject:

I hope d lo comes off the bench so he can abuse bench players & setup lou/scrub & play with randle
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

points, assists, turnovers right?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

points, assists, turnovers right?

Yay another Lakers fan.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Harden, Durant, Westbrook and Curry are all top 10 players
Green and Thompson are really really good players

If we can get one top ten player out of our young guys I think I would be happy with that. Anything more would be icing on the cake as they say.

I think a top ten guy (so to speak) and a really good guy next to him along with Hibbert can get us in the playoffs.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:

I think the true target of Free Agency next year is Harrison Barnes. Age wise, he's a great complement to Randle, Upshaw, Clarkson & Russell. We would have an incredible young core that I think would draw any Free Agent.

Obviously we would go after KD, but I don't see him coming due to timing with our roster and his roots to DC & OKC.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
I think the true target of Free Agency next year is Harrison Barnes. Age wise, he's a great complement to Randle, Upshaw, Clarkson & Russell. We would have an incredible young core that I think would draw any Free Agent.

Obviously we would go after KD, but I don't see him coming due to timing with our roster and his roots to DC & OKC.

Restricted free agent.

I like him but doubt he is shed over Iggy/Bogut/other shed-able pieces on the Warriors.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Restricted free agent.

I like him but doubt he is shed over Iggy/Bogut/other shed-able pieces on the Warriors.

Ahh, I wasn't aware of that. So while we'll have interest, chances are Warriors play the situation as Bulls did with Butler.

I'd overpay for Harrison due to the lack of quality wing defenders in the league.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Restricted free agent.

Ahh, I wasn't aware of that. So while we'll have interest, chances are Warriors play the situation as Bulls did with Butler.

I'd overpay for Harrison due to the lack of quality wing defenders in the league.

Well, we can only offer him 21m and the Warriors just offered around 16m/year deal which he rejected (using current cap #s in 2015). That tells me that they would match a 21m rookie max for him IMO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Now that we have 20+ games in the book, bumping this thread to show that despite Byron, our young Purple Reign trio is looking good.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

First time all together stats:

OKC
KD (30/8/3, 3rd season)
RW (22/5/8, 3rd season)
Harden (10/3/2, rookie)
Ibaka (6/5, rookie)

GSW
Curry (23/4/7, 4th season)
Klay (17/4/2, 2nd season)
Barnes (9/4/1, rookie)
Green (3/3/1, rookie)

LAKERS
Clarkson (15/3/2, 2nd season)
DLO (12/5/3, rookie)
Randle (12/9/2, "rookie").

I think this is shaping up nicely. Add possible top 3 pick (I think we will finish with 2nd worst record), 65m in cap space.

Next year, I could see:

JC (17/4/4)
DLO (16/5/6)
Randle (14/10/2)
Top 3 pick (or the trade for a vet)
(65m in cap space unlike OKC/Warriors who didn't have ability to add max talent).

That's a REALLY good core moving forward.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

It's interesting that that KD was in his 3rd season when they made the playoffs (completely organic home-built growth).

Curry was in his 4th season IIRC when that team hit the playoffs.

By that metric, we may have a chance, and 2017 is my initial estimate for us being back in the playoffs with 2016 being probable depending on our FAs. If so, we'd be well ahead of the curve. Of course, KD/Curry (and Westbrook/Harden) are HOF talent, so that helps. But we have the benefit of FA to augment and accelerate the process.

Once Scott is gone, and the last vestiges of the KFT are over, there will be a lot to look forward to.

Chins up Lakers fans.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Perhaps this will come across as being dishonest, but when I saw rookie/sophmore versions of their top 2 drafted guys, I immediately sensed an all-star in all of them, minus Klay. Klay is the one that really surprised me. Curry I didn't expect to be a MVP, but it was clear the ankle injuries were the only thing holding him back from being a franchise point guard/consistent all-star.

Now Randle, Russ and Clarkson have promise as well, but I think they are further away from being there vs rookie/sophmore Durant/Westbrook. IMO, of course.

You are right on point.

The three show promises but they have not shown enough to be in the same as Durant and Westbrook.

We need to see more consistency has this season progresses.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Perhaps this will come across as being dishonest, but when I saw rookie/sophmore versions of their top 2 drafted guys, I immediately sensed an all-star in all of them, minus Klay. Klay is the one that really surprised me. Curry I didn't expect to be a MVP, but it was clear the ankle injuries were the only thing holding him back from being a franchise point guard/consistent all-star.

Now Randle, Russ and Clarkson have promise as well, but I think they are further away from being there vs rookie/sophmore Durant/Westbrook. IMO, of course.

You are right on point.

The three show promises but they have not shown enough to be in the same as Durant and Westbrook.

And I've been forthright about that. But the main difference is we have possibly 65m in cap space to use along with the continued development of the young core. From 2016-18, we will have chances to add 1 to 3 of the following: KD, Westbrook, Ibaka, Paul George, Boogie.

GSW/OKC didn't have any chance to do that and relied mostly on drafting.

I really do think we are on the cusp of a great run. We just need to sweat out this season.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
laker4life wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

You are right on point.

And I've been forthright about that. But the main difference is we have possibly 65m in cap space to use along with the continued development of the young core. From 2016-18, we will have chances to add 1 to 3 of the following: KD, Westbrook, Ibaka, Paul George, Boogie.

GSW/OKC didn't have any chance to do that and relied mostly on drafting.

I really do think we are on the cusp of a great run. We just need to sweat out this season.

So do I. I'm bullish on the next 2-3 years. I think the biggest thing to happen this year so far is Kobe announcing his retirement. We now can move on and it sheds more light on our financial position going forward. It also let's free agents know that Kobe's shadow isn't going to loom large over this franchise anymore, and we'll be on the hunt for the next 'star' to lead us.

As far as the core goes, I'm extremely high on Russell. I see All-Star; future star and somebody that other potential Free Agents will love to play with because of his style of play which is so unselfish. Randle is so raw right now, but he is very talented. Add a jumper, a right hand, and get better defensively, and he'll be a stud. Clarkson's improvement continues to get better and he's a valuable piece moving forward.

I'm not happy about our win/loss record. I would have liked to win at least 30-32 games this year, but that isn't going to happen. A top 3 pick though would be icing on the cake, though. I'm not expecting it, though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: